Celestial Focus = GW1 love & nostalgia

hopefully more of the GW1 items from the contest will find its way also into GW2 to honor the works and those who made them.

The Celestial Compass is nice, but the Glacial Blade, the Draconic Aegis especially, the Bonedragon Staff, the Emerald Blade, the Exalted Aegis and aside of these Contest Weapons, the Obsidian Edge, Envoy Sword/Axe/Staff as like many of the GW1 spear skins, readding the original animations of the Voltaic Spear to Al'ir'aska woudl be also very nice nostalgia to return to GW2 as well too.

> @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

I'd rephrase that as:

> In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

>

> I'd rephrase that as:

> > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

>

> To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game. What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> >

> > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> >

> > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

>

> Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

As long as a non-RNG method to acquire it makes it into the game I like these skins being added. Dragon's Jade weapons almost made me quit the game when I spent real money to get the special chests with higher drop chances as well as thousands of the regular chest and never got one. A friend got two in the first 100 regular chests he opened (account bound at the time.)

All that to say, I will want this skin once a non-RNG option exists. It looks great!

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > >

> > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > >

> > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> >

> > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

>

> I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

>

> > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

>

> > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

>

> I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

>

> My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

>

> For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

>

> tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

"My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. Wtf is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > > >

> > > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > > >

> > > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> > >

> > > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> > I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

> >

> > I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> >

> > > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> > But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> >

> > > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> >

> > I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

> >

> > My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

> >

> > For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

> >

> > tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

>

> "My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

>

> No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. kitten is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

If it's such a waste of your time, then why bother?

> @"artemis.6781" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > > > >

> > > > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> > > >

> > > > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> > > I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

> > >

> > > I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> > >

> > > > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> > > But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> > >

> > > > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> > >

> > > I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

> > >

> > > My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

> > >

> > > For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

> > >

> > > tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

> >

> > "My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

> >

> > No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. kitten is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

>

> If it's such a waste of your time, then why bother?

I don't. wvw is all i do. I want to pve, but there's no pve in gw2.

> > > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > > >

> > > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > > >

> > > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> > >

> > > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> > I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

> >

> > I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> >

> > > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> > But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> >

> > > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> >

> > I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

> >

> > My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

> >

> > For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

> >

> > tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

>

> "My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

>

> No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. kitten is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

Consider me your single person. I find gw2 superior in pve in almost every way, especially in the fun department and being able to set a wide variety of goals.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > > > >

> > > > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> > > >

> > > > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> > > I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

> > >

> > > I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> > >

> > > > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> > > But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> > >

> > > > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> > >

> > > I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

> > >

> > > My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

> > >

> > > For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

> > >

> > > tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

> >

> > "My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

> >

> > No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. kitten is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

>

> Consider me your single person. I find gw2 superior in pve in almost every way, especially in the fun department and being able to set a wide variety of goals.

On this forum, i expect many to agree with you. I also expect many on here to enjoy grinding Achievements and tell me with a straight face that this is what they enjoy. I have no idea how can anyone enjoy pointless pve without a single goal over HM FoW, Urgoz, UW etc. Really, no idea. Unless you're very casual and play 2-5h a week of course.

> But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve.

Errr... GW1 PvE consisted only of two things: 1. grinding maps, as there was nothing else to do on them but kill stuff, and 2. doing story missions (which were fantastic regarding story-telling and the challenging elements added to them, but then again were also basically about killing stuff and avoiding death).

>There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. [...] is not "fun", its a waste of time.

Grinding rewards through achievements (GW2) and grinding rewards through the repetitive task of entering a zone merely to kill stuff (GW1) isn't much different, now is it? At least GW2 has events and a world that feels alive.

While I agree that farming elite zones in GW1 was more enjoyable than most GW2 raid wings or doing boring Fractals over and over again, because GW1's elite zones consisted of playing the holy trinity (everyone had their job to do) -- _which I find more appealing than a large group of people standing in a mess of colorful, flashy effects most of the time, clicking skills in certain orders and at certain times to make the most possible amount of damage and boost each other with boons and healing, or running back and forth between timed, marked circles/spots/areas_ --, I think that what most people consider PvE in GW2 (namely map exploration) is much more enjoyable in GW2 than what GW1 had to offer in that regard.

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > > The only difference is that in gw1, to get the skin, you had to PLAY THE GAME. In gw2, you pay money to get the skin. This applies to almost everything available in the game. Craft or rng in a microtransaction box. Such a failure for a quality pve experience.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'd rephrase that as:

> > > > > > > In GW1, you had to replay the exact same content repeatedly for months, if not longer, to get the skin. Or visit Kamadan and wait until someone happened to be selling the weapon with the right stats for your build. And then pay money to get the skin. A lot of money.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > To me, the situation in GW1 was far less fun. GW2 is far less grindy generally.

> > > > >

> > > > > Complaining about grind in an mmo is like complaining about grind in a loot based game.

> > > > I'm not complaining about grind. I'm saying I disagree with your contention that the Celestial Compass in GW1 was obtained by _playing the game_. It was obtained by (a) many many repeats of a single 'dungeon' (Underworld), (b) via RNG rolls from Zaishen Chests, or © shopping in Kamadan.

> > > >

> > > > I don't see how that's meaningfully different from its acquisition in GW2, except for my being able to choose which content i repeat.

> > > >

> > > > > What's better, grinding for boring mats that you need a ton off of (not to mention that the content in which you grind them in is easy, shallow and real difficult to not fall asleep in) to craft anything or play difficult co-op based Elite dungeons where you're rewarded not only by material and gold, but also skins that can get you hundreds of gold from a single drop.

> > > > But we weren't (or aren't) rewarded with "skins that can you get you hundreds of ~~gold~~ platinum". The drop rate of the CC or the frog scepter, etc is so small that I did those dungeons hundreds of times without seeing one drop (not for anyone in the party either). They are RNG drops, not specific rewards. And further, those items have no gold value unless you sold them in Kamadan, which was itself an ordeal for many.

> > > >

> > > > > The pve in gw2 is how an mmo shouldn't be made. There absolutely nothing interesting, ever. Whatever content you do, you never get anything exciting. Everything is locked behind a braidead achievement grind, gem store or crafting. Where is the exciting loot that is hard to acquire because its rare? In GW1, that's where.

> > > >

> > > > I'm all in favor of ANet adding more low-rate drops in the game, specific to certain content. However, there are already some, including recipes that only drop from dungeon bosses, infusions from group content, special drops from fractal challenge modes, etc.

> > > >

> > > > My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone.

> > > >

> > > > For me, GW1 drops were so rare that I reasonably had to assume I'd **never** get any "good" skin directly, especially not with stats useful to me. For me, it was worse than GW2, because at least in GW2, I can put offers on the TP and wait, whereas in GW1 I had to remain in one spot, **not** playing the game, in order to get them.

> > > >

> > > > tl;dr I can see why you prefer the GW1 system. However, I can't agree that there's a meaningful difference in acquisition methods, especially if you look at all available skins and sources.

> > >

> > > "My point is that what's interesting and exciting for _you_ isn't necessarily interesting or exciting for everyone."

> > >

> > > No, of course not. But i haven't heard a single person who've played both games extensively say that GW2 pve is anywhere near close to the gw1 pve. There is nothing to do in GW2's pve but grind achievements. In gw1, you always had a reason to do something. For example, you did The Deep for zodiac stuff, be it for you or sell em and make a good amount of money (making money by playing the game was a thing, imagine that...). Same applied to every dungeon in the game. Hell, even the open world had a reason to be farmed because of unique skins each zone had. kitten is the point of doing anything in gw2? Legit question. The only answer is "for fun", but auto attacking a boss with a group of 50, and receive useless reward that you will salvage as soon as they're in your inventory is not "fun", its a waste of time.

> >

> > Consider me your single person. I find gw2 superior in pve in almost every way, especially in the fun department and being able to set a wide variety of goals.

>

> On this forum, i expect many to agree with you. I also expect many on here to enjoy grinding Achievements and tell me with a straight face that this is what they enjoy. I have no idea how can anyone enjoy pointless pve without a single goal over HM FoW, Urgoz, UW etc. Really, no idea. Unless you're very casual and play 2-5h a week of course.

I have 8k+ hours since launch for gw2. Yes I am casual, but I can find more things here, now in GW2 than I could at the peak of playing GW1 (which was thoroughly enjoyable to me I will add - I wouldn't be here if it wasn't).

After the story was done in GW1, the game became a massive slog. HM was one of the least fun additions to the game (and for those with rose tinted glasses, lets not forget it massively divided the population at the time) as it provided nothing but high hp and spike damage bosses. Map exploration was one of the worst implemented in any game ever with wall scraping actually a thing to complete a map! I spent hours trying to farm some Rhino thing in Elona for a green scythe. Months repeating one mob and never getting a drop. That is not a system more rewarding than we currently have.

Sure the dungeons were great and I especially enjoyed the easier EOTN ones, but the rewards weren't there unless I got extremely lucky. If I go to fractals now, I am guaranteed tokens an gold to put towards what I want.

Many of the skins in GW1 weren't great either. I remember sooo many complaints about the lack of variety back then. and how obscene the requirements for getting them were.

GW1 turned into work, whilst GW2 (and I;m not dismissing some of the excessive grind where it exists) is a lot more fun to pick and play for me and be rewarded for it - either with something in game or that feeling of enjoyment/satisfaction a video game is meant to give.

If you find GW2 pve pointless and a waste of time, that is fine. But, lets be clear it is not not an outright factual statement, since if we all felt like that, GW2 probably would have closed a long time ago instead of being a world bustling with players

on topic though, it is a nice skin. Not sure if I would use a focus for anything mind you, but we have a lack of nice focus skins and this goes some way to rectifying that