This thread is dying

> @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > @"Pimpology.6234" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > I'm curious: How frequent do new releases need to be to avoid 'content droughts'?

> > >

> > > I don't know of any other games that have updates more frequently GW2, either MMOs or otherwise, so I'm not sure what the basis is for this complaint (which all games seem to have) about content droughts.

> > >

> > > (It also makes me realise other people get through stuff a lot faster than me. I still have stuff from HoT left to do, if content was coming out more often and it was the same stuff we get now, not the 'kill 50 x' 'press F 100 times' stuff from Season 1, I doubt I'd have time for even half of it.)

> >

> > Well when you can get all the new content done in 3 days then have to wait another 3months till the next one, there can be a bit of a drought. ANd when you first started playing you didn't notice this because , well, you had lots of different things to do. But when you've done everything, it might seem a little slow, between episodes. ANd then there's the people that think done everything = just the stuff they want to do :P

>

> why would i pay to do something, that i dont like to do?

> this is an entertainment product, if they dont give the customers, what they want, the business is going to fail

> most people dont want something new to play, they just want an improved version of the old game

Well apparently you did pay to play something you don't want to do then. I'm sure no one has finished everything that's available ingame.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, define dying :). I have GW2 on a rotation of about eight games, so I get back about once every two years. What's noticeable to me is lack of level increases. That's always the first to go as it's the most expensive and time consuming. And then lack of new classes, again fairly expensive and time consuming. Things like Living World are cheap alternatives. The mechanics haven't evolved either. Even fairly new content like Griffon mounts are gated behind dead zone events etc. as I have just found out :)>. MMORPG audiences have changed. Gating behind grouping is an out of date mechanic as casuals rule now and 'rotating' is far more prevalent. Some other MMO's have worked that out, GW2 hasn't. (P.S. Before I get crucified, nothing against grouping it's a great option for the more tribal).

So for me, yes, forgetting the launch, reached it's mean peak a while back and falling behind, so yes; in decline now. But dying? Not even close. Still an excellent game.

It will only be dead when it's removed from my rotation :).

> @"qbalrog.8017" said:

> Not sure if it is dying but it has lost my interest. Not angry about anything... just doesn't seem worth my time. The activities I prefer, mostly world pve and casual pvp, don't yield worthwhile rewards per time invested. And the main reason I like gw2-- the aesthetics-- has been sorely lacking with no new non-outfit gear. For the last few months, I'd rather play an old game like Fallout 4 than gw2.

>

> At this point, the only thing that might bring me back for good is a whole whack of new armors to grind for. Otherwise, raids, not worth the time, pvp, not all that fun, pve, not worth the time.

>

> Give me something fun to chase armors... artifacts... worthwhile collections and I might return. Otherwise, here's to enjoying all the excellent crpgs and hoping some new mmo comes along.

Sounds like they are not your YOUR time. Others disagree and are in game playing :)

Why don't you find any of that stuff amusing? That info would be more helpful to other players and the developer (if they even bother reading these threads) than just saying this. Could we get more detail. I personally could care less about more armor and collections etc...

Why isn't PVE worth your time? Why do you like fallout? That info could be slightly helpful overall.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> It’s dying. In fact it [died back in Oct 2012.](https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1214837-has-guild-wars-2-died) A shame really. It was only 2 months old.

>

> Or possibly people keep making ‘is the game dying’ threads every few months in spite of being able to see people in maps and cites.

Heh..I saw the title of this thread and expected to see a PARODY of "This game is dying" threads, lol.

No such luck, sigh....

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"qbalrog.8017" said:

> > Not sure if it is dying but it has lost my interest.

> Why don't you find any of that stuff amusing? That info would be more helpful to other players and the developer (if they even bother reading these threads) than just saying this. Could we get more detail. I personally could care less about more armor and collections etc...

>

> Why isn't PVE worth your time? Why do you like fallout? That info could be slightly helpful overall.

For what it's worth I like the NPC and companion interactions of Fallout 4 plus the exploration. GW2 does a good job with exploration, especially with the LW stories and the LW chapter masteries, which help you look into the nooks and crannies. While it would be a heavy lift, MMOs can do companions. SWTOR is a poor game overall (IMHO) but the companions are well done.

As for armor and collections (and achievements), they make a big difference for me. But GW2 is a good game serving a lot of different play styles so your mileage may vary.

I have been back to GW2 for quite some time now and am having fun but I have to say FO4 is calling me back and I may go play some of it for a while. (Although FO 76 OTH has zero appeal because they lost the NPCs and the companions).

Overall, I enjoy GW2 a lot but there are times when I look for other options. While it isn't perfect, I haven't found anything better.

> @"qbalrog.8017" said:

> > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > @"qbalrog.8017" said:

> > > Not sure if it is dying but it has lost my interest.

> > Why don't you find any of that stuff amusing? That info would be more helpful to other players and the developer (if they even bother reading these threads) than just saying this. Could we get more detail. I personally could care less about more armor and collections etc...

> >

> > Why isn't PVE worth your time? Why do you like fallout? That info could be slightly helpful overall.

>

> For what it's worth I like the NPC and companion interactions of Fallout 4 plus the exploration. GW2 does a good job with exploration, especially with the LW stories and the LW chapter masteries, which help you look into the nooks and crannies. While it would be a heavy lift, MMOs can do companions. SWTOR is a poor game overall (IMHO) but the companions are well done.

>

> As for armor and collections (and achievements), they make a big difference for me. But GW2 is a good game serving a lot of different play styles so your mileage may vary.

>

> I have been back to GW2 for quite some time now and am having fun but I have to say FO4 is calling me back and I may go play some of it for a while. (Although FO 76 OTH has zero appeal because they lost the NPCs and the companions).

>

> Overall, I enjoy GW2 a lot but there are times when I look for other options. While it isn't perfect, I haven't found anything better.

>

>

If you like fo4 the game with so much rpg cut out it its more like a looter shooter then a rpg then try the earlier ones like new vegas or even earlier ones.

> @"Kitty La Boom Boom.4065" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > It’s dying. In fact it [died back in Oct 2012.](https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1214837-has-guild-wars-2-died) A shame really. It was only 2 months old.

> >

> > Or possibly people keep making ‘is the game dying’ threads every few months in spite of being able to see people in maps and cites.

>

> Heh..I saw the title of this thread and expected to see a PARODY of "This game is dying" threads, lol.

> No such luck, sigh....

It literally was called "Is the game dying?" but OP changed the title after the discussion went on for a while.

Its simple for me

Team queue with friends at my own discretion for progress, rewards and fun, was removed from PvP.

Its nice for them to add in ATs but for me ATs pretty much start just as I finish work and start when I go to bed to get ready for work then proceed to play out during my sleep and work day.

So I was cut off from the game essentially, downside of being Australian I guess, just like when promotions drop.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> Its simple for me

> Team queue with friends at my own discretion for progress, rewards and fun, was removed from PvP.

>

> Its nice for them to add in ATs but for me ATs pretty much start just as I finish work and start when I go to bed to get ready for work then proceed to play out during my sleep and work day.

>

> So I was cut off from the game essentially, downside of being Australian I guess, just like when promotions drop.

I wish it was easier for US based gaming companies to make it easier for people in your part of our world to not feel like there is a downside to your heritage and nationality. It is not that simple though as companies pretty much base their motivation on profit almost solely. I work for a non-profit. A pretty big local one where I am and they have a nice way of layering this smoke screen over their lust for profit. Executives who all make millions while most of us make crap and they would rather buy another location to increase the size of this health care system than fix the parts they already own. I know it isn't exactly the same but in the end the people it hurts most are the same as this, some of the customers in the form of patients. Yes many tens of thousands a year are helped but in my mind if we leave even one person out in the cold alone because of this drive for profit we have failed.

Anet allows the game to be played where you are and should at least try and come up with better solutions for this.

I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it. Why not just match teams with teams and then give others the option to check a box that says I will play a team as a random player if no other team is present to match a team with. Then players can opt out OR in if they choose?

I do feel like overall being Australian and human should be something you are not seeing as a downside. In the game maybe but not overall. I use to play WOW years ago with mostly Australian guilds as that was my play time at the time and it seemed natural to play with them because they were there at that time of day and frankly all I see on our little blue home here is humans. Your diversity of origin and mind set and style enriches my life and our world I just wish more gaming companies understood that as well as profit. I value your opinion on this and hope one day things are easier on gamers in US games that are not here in the US with them.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > Its simple for me

> > Team queue with friends at my own discretion for progress, rewards and fun, was removed from PvP.

> >

> > Its nice for them to add in ATs but for me ATs pretty much start just as I finish work and start when I go to bed to get ready for work then proceed to play out during my sleep and work day.

> >

> > So I was cut off from the game essentially, downside of being Australian I guess, just like when promotions drop.

>

> I wish it was easier for US based gaming companies to make it easier for people in your part of our world to not feel like there is a downside to your heritage and nationality. It is not that simple though as companies pretty much base their motivation on profit almost solely. I work for a non-profit. A pretty big local one where I am and they have a nice way of layering this smoke screen over their lust for profit. Executives who all make millions while most of us make kitten and they would rather buy another location to increase the size of this health care system than fix the parts they already own. I know it isn't exactly the same but in the end the people it hurts most are the same as this, some of the customers in the form of patients. Yes many tens of thousands a year are helped but in my mind if we leave even one person out in the cold alone because of this drive for profit we have failed.

>

> Anet allows the game to be played where you are and should at least try and come up with better solutions for this.

>

> I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it. Why not just match teams with teams and then give others the option to check a box that says I will play a team as a random player if no other team is present to match a team with. Then players can opt out OR in if they choose?

>

> I do feel like overall being Australian and human should be something you are not seeing as a downside. In the game maybe but not overall. I use to play WOW years ago with mostly Australian guilds as that was my play time at the time and it seemed natural to play with them because they were there at that time of day and frankly all I see on our little blue home here is humans. Your diversity of origin and mind set and style enriches my life and our world I just wish more gaming companies understood that as well as profit. I value your opinion on this and hope one day things are easier on gamers in US games that are not here in the US with them.

We used to have team queue and solo queue and solo que people could queue up in the teams que for higher rewards.

AT was the replacement for removing team queue.

Dont stress its not personal or nothing, our country is just over 200 years old roughly if you start from the settlement landings. In quite a lot of games there's no oceanic servers but its something weve been catching up with finally on some fronts here and there..

All it is from end is just bad timings, ATs only run once every few hours and it just happens to fall into a time I cant make.

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > Its simple for me

> > > Team queue with friends at my own discretion for progress, rewards and fun, was removed from PvP.

> > >

> > > Its nice for them to add in ATs but for me ATs pretty much start just as I finish work and start when I go to bed to get ready for work then proceed to play out during my sleep and work day.

> > >

> > > So I was cut off from the game essentially, downside of being Australian I guess, just like when promotions drop.

> >

> > I wish it was easier for US based gaming companies to make it easier for people in your part of our world to not feel like there is a downside to your heritage and nationality. It is not that simple though as companies pretty much base their motivation on profit almost solely. I work for a non-profit. A pretty big local one where I am and they have a nice way of layering this smoke screen over their lust for profit. Executives who all make millions while most of us make kitten and they would rather buy another location to increase the size of this health care system than fix the parts they already own. I know it isn't exactly the same but in the end the people it hurts most are the same as this, some of the customers in the form of patients. Yes many tens of thousands a year are helped but in my mind if we leave even one person out in the cold alone because of this drive for profit we have failed.

> >

> > Anet allows the game to be played where you are and should at least try and come up with better solutions for this.

> >

> > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it. Why not just match teams with teams and then give others the option to check a box that says I will play a team as a random player if no other team is present to match a team with. Then players can opt out OR in if they choose?

> >

> > I do feel like overall being Australian and human should be something you are not seeing as a downside. In the game maybe but not overall. I use to play WOW years ago with mostly Australian guilds as that was my play time at the time and it seemed natural to play with them because they were there at that time of day and frankly all I see on our little blue home here is humans. Your diversity of origin and mind set and style enriches my life and our world I just wish more gaming companies understood that as well as profit. I value your opinion on this and hope one day things are easier on gamers in US games that are not here in the US with them.

>

> We used to have team queue and solo queue and solo que people could queue up in the teams que for higher rewards.

> AT was the replacement for removing team queue.

>

> Dont stress its not personal or nothing, our country is just over 200 years old roughly if you start from the settlement landings. In quite a lot of games there's no oceanic servers but its something weve been catching up with finally on some fronts here and there..

>

> All it is from end is just bad timings, ATs only run once every few hours and it just happens to fall into a time I cant make.

I am not stressed at all but thank you.

I just prefer to see inclusion. They could run the tourny's every two hours maybe? Not that anything most of us propose will be listened to.

I would probably actually play pvp more if I could actually queue with a team. There are ways to make that system work if they would look at it again.

PS

The age of your country should not be factor in modern times (or ever really) America is not that much older. I know I am happy that you are all down there existing. More diversity brings more strength even though others might say the opposite :)

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

>

> That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

Do they not consider doing them more often ever or did they in the past and it did not work well?

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

> >

> > That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

>

> Do they not consider doing them more often ever or did they in the past and it did not work well?

To my knowledge they started with 4 and never increased or decreased them. It's just a number that "fits" I guess (one tournament every 6 hours?). I don't remember if they asked the community which times they wanted, or if there was a poll or something.

Link (it contains the current schedule): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Automated_Tournaments

So 0:15, 6:15, 12:15 and 18:15 is the current one (UTC times)

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

> > >

> > > That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

> >

> > Do they not consider doing them more often ever or did they in the past and it did not work well?

>

> To my knowledge they started with 4 and never increased or decreased them. It's just a number that "fits" I guess (one tournament every 6 hours?). I don't remember if they asked the community which times they wanted, or if there was a poll or something.

> Link (it contains the current schedule): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Automated_Tournaments

> So 0:15, 6:15, 12:15 and 18:15 is the current one (UTC times)

Maybe it is time they ask and consider making adjustments.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

> >

> > That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

>

> Do they not consider doing them more often ever or did they in the past and it did not work well?

They mentioned about a year ago that they would be releasing more frequent ATs and Swiss style tournaments.... But yea, that was a year ago.

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > I do not PVP very much and do not fully understand the dynamics of "team" queues in this case but I do not understand why they don't allow it.

> > >

> > > That's because tournaments happen 4 times each day on a fixed schedule. It's similar to world bosses or meta events but only happens 4 times a day. This is done for two reasons, first to gate the rewards and second to push players towards a certain time so they can actually find opponents. Since players from all over the world play Tournaments, having only 4 times can be problematic and won't "fit" everyone's schedule.

> >

> > Do they not consider doing them more often ever or did they in the past and it did not work well?

>

> They mentioned about a year ago that they would be releasing more frequent ATs and Swiss style tournaments.... But yea, that was a year ago.

Who can say at that point then. Seems like it is simply a matter of adjusting the timers to the existing AT's so I am guessing it got bumped by work they are prioritizing instead of that.

They have so much room to work it if they choose to. Lots of possibilities.