> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > taunting isn't griefing.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > One person's taunt is anothers grief. Who decides where the line is?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Anet does.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The reporting system in WvW works like it does here. AND if it is concerning enough, then send a report directly to the Anet email with a description of your concerns!

> > > > >

> > > > > pls don't. all it will do is slow down anets ability to solve actual issues.

> > > >

> > > > That it may. It also gives the OP an avenue if he feels he has been wronged!

> > >

> > > There's no point in reporting it, I'm simply wondering what Anet was thinking when it allowed a social grey area of communication between enemy servers.

> >

> > Ahh. Well. GW 1 actually had many more emotes. Many of which could be deemed much more offensive. Do you think maybe Anet realized that and decreased the number to allow more appropriate interactions?

>

> Why have any emotes? they are 99% used to insult other people. You'd think they'd want to reduce the number of reports of harassing and griefing, blocking emotes is a step in that direction

99%? Really? Hmm. Rarely do I see a negative emote. It's usually someone bowing or saluting. Someone will laugh with me or a member of the other team.

Do you consider 'point' to be negative? It seems very neutral.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > > taunting isn't griefing.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > One person's taunt is anothers grief. Who decides where the line is?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Anet does.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The reporting system in WvW works like it does here. AND if it is concerning enough, then send a report directly to the Anet email with a description of your concerns!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > pls don't. all it will do is slow down anets ability to solve actual issues.

> > > > >

> > > > > That it may. It also gives the OP an avenue if he feels he has been wronged!

> > > >

> > > > There's no point in reporting it, I'm simply wondering what Anet was thinking when it allowed a social grey area of communication between enemy servers.

> > >

> > > Ahh. Well. GW 1 actually had many more emotes. Many of which could be deemed much more offensive. Do you think maybe Anet realized that and decreased the number to allow more appropriate interactions?

> >

> > Why have any emotes? they are 99% used to insult other people. You'd think they'd want to reduce the number of reports of harassing and griefing, blocking emotes is a step in that direction

>

> 99%? Really? Hmm. Rarely do I see a negative emote. It's usually someone bowing or saluting. Someone will laugh with me or a member of the other team.

>

> Do you consider 'point' to be negative? It seems very neutral.

It's usually (server) (player rank) laughs @ (player name) 9/10. I guess you don't play wvw very much.

I'm dying to know which finishers are considered toxic, I mean besides the ones that have toxic in their names. Because it seems, according to some atleast, almost everything else in wvw promotes negativity, so I'm really curious if I should just delete my Cow Finisher now, so I don't upset anyone in the future.

> @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?

> > rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

>

> So in your opinion, doing something for revenge and to satisfy your hurt ego is better than doing the thing that actually gets results. Then again, if "some trash" can make you feel disrespected in the first place I shouldn't be expecting a "sounder" reasoning than this.

so if i ignore those people they will stop doing it? doing something for revenge and satisfying my hurt ego indeed does get me a result, i feel better. while trying to ignore them wont change a thing.

but i do think that if more communication was allowed, there would be less of this taunting.

> > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > A few months ago someone jumped on my body, so let's have an update that restricts players from jumping in WvW.

> >

> > Arbitrary restrictions are more fun than interactions between players.

>

> Well I guess negative interactions are better then none. I disagree but OK. It adds to toxicity which is prevalent. I'd be OK if they opened all communication up, but for some reason they determined that wasn't OK? Wonder why they did that? And I wonder why they stopped short of emotes.

Probably because waving and laughing at people on the other team is not the same thing as verbally harassing them.

Similarly to how asking rhetorical questions is not the same thing as making a point.

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > > > taunting isn't griefing.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > One person's taunt is anothers grief. Who decides where the line is?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Anet does.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The reporting system in WvW works like it does here. AND if it is concerning enough, then send a report directly to the Anet email with a description of your concerns!

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > pls don't. all it will do is slow down anets ability to solve actual issues.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That it may. It also gives the OP an avenue if he feels he has been wronged!

> > > > >

> > > > > There's no point in reporting it, I'm simply wondering what Anet was thinking when it allowed a social grey area of communication between enemy servers.

> > > >

> > > > Ahh. Well. GW 1 actually had many more emotes. Many of which could be deemed much more offensive. Do you think maybe Anet realized that and decreased the number to allow more appropriate interactions?

> > >

> > > Why have any emotes? they are 99% used to insult other people. You'd think they'd want to reduce the number of reports of harassing and griefing, blocking emotes is a step in that direction

> >

> > 99%? Really? Hmm. Rarely do I see a negative emote. It's usually someone bowing or saluting. Someone will laugh with me or a member of the other team.

> >

> > Do you consider 'point' to be negative? It seems very neutral.

>

> It's usually (server) (player rank) laughs @ (player name) 9/10. I guess you don't play wvw very much.

Actually it says (server) (player rank) laughs *WITH* (player name). I think maybe you are confusing what you type vs what is said maybe?

I don't know. They are always laughing WITH me.

> @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?

> > > rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

> >

> > So in your opinion, doing something for revenge and to satisfy your hurt ego is better than doing the thing that actually gets results. Then again, if "some trash" can make you feel disrespected in the first place I shouldn't be expecting a "sounder" reasoning than this.

>

> so if i ignore those people they will stop doing it? doing something for revenge and satisfying my hurt ego indeed does get me a result, i feel better. while trying to ignore them wont change a thing.

>

> but i do think that if more communication was allowed, there would be less of this taunting.

If you ignore their mocking their attempt of making you miserable in the first place failed. And you shouldn't concern yourself with them as long as they are "trash" their value in your eyes should be low enough that there wouldn't be any need for you to give them any sort of attention. If you do, they'll feel more important than they actually are and this is what they are after. At least most of them.

This should also solve your hurt ego problem. Look at it objectively: why did "some trash" like that person had the chance to mock you if he shouldn't be able to beat you 1v1? Cause you probably commited to an outnumbered fight you couldn't win. Is this his fault? No, it was actually yours. So what's your reason to hold a grudge against him? Objectively none.

> @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?

> > > > rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

> > >

> > > So in your opinion, doing something for revenge and to satisfy your hurt ego is better than doing the thing that actually gets results. Then again, if "some trash" can make you feel disrespected in the first place I shouldn't be expecting a "sounder" reasoning than this.

> >

> > so if i ignore those people they will stop doing it? doing something for revenge and satisfying my hurt ego indeed does get me a result, i feel better. while trying to ignore them wont change a thing.

> >

> > but i do think that if more communication was allowed, there would be less of this taunting.

>

> If you ignore their mocking their attempt of making you miserable in the first place failed. And you shouldn't concern yourself with them as long as they are "trash" their value in your eyes should be low enough that there wouldn't be any need for you to give them any sort of attention. If you do, they'll feel more important than they actually are and this is what they are after. At least most of them.

>

> This should also solve your hurt ego problem. Look at it objectively: why did "some trash" like that person had the chance to mock you if he shouldn't be able to beat you 1v1? Cause you probably commited to an outnumbered fight you couldn't win. Is this his fault? No, it was actually yours. So what's your reason to hold a grudge against him? Objectively none.

this whole conversation is a good example of how general toxicity in competitive game mode occurs. I just dont understand why they decided, oh yes open communication with the enemy team is far too toxic, but emotes..... thats just the right amount of toxicity?

and saying that emotes are not necessarily toxic could apply to the argument of whether they should just allow full communication with the enemy team. if they did allow full communication, not all of those interactions would be toxic either, but the point is that they initially decided to not allow regular communication save for emotes because they determined that open communication would indeed be too toxic. So since the direction of why we don't have open communication in wvw is because of an argument of toxicity, im arguing as to why they stopped short of emotes.

> @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > > > @"MUDse.7623" said:

> > > > what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?

> > > > rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

> > >

> > > So in your opinion, doing something for revenge and to satisfy your hurt ego is better than doing the thing that actually gets results. Then again, if "some trash" can make you feel disrespected in the first place I shouldn't be expecting a "sounder" reasoning than this.

> >

> > so if i ignore those people they will stop doing it? doing something for revenge and satisfying my hurt ego indeed does get me a result, i feel better. while trying to ignore them wont change a thing.

> >

> > but i do think that if more communication was allowed, there would be less of this taunting.

>

> If you ignore their mocking their attempt of making you miserable in the first place failed. And you shouldn't concern yourself with them as long as they are "trash" their value in your eyes should be low enough that there wouldn't be any need for you to give them any sort of attention. If you do, they'll feel more important than they actually are and this is what they are after. At least most of them.

>

the problem is there is no way i can assure they dont feel i am paying attention, because even if i kill them 5 min later defending a camp - not hunting them, they might think i hunt them and that i feel offended. therefor they dont get a reason to stop it. i personally can try to not get affected by it, but i am not blind. lying to myself wont make me feel better in the long run. if they you know were taunting me during the fight, thats fine. but after a fight its just an unnecessary attack on the player not his toon, that i do not quite understand why i should tolerate it.

for instance i used to run instead of shortbow on my thief p/p on my backbar during HoT, when i encountered a roamer that was not bad and i wanted to fight him again, i waited for the perfect moment infight to swap to p/p and kill them by suprise. because after this most of them returned. thats a kind of taunt you can do infight by the way you kill your opponent or with my DE as long as i can survive it i shoot into reflects before i kill my opponents because this makes em come back. but after the fight trying to offend the player is unneeded and i wont simply tolerate/ignore it, as long as there is no report option i will payback.

> This should also solve your hurt ego problem. Look at it objectively: why did "some trash" like that person had the chance to mock you if he shouldn't be able to beat you 1v1? Cause you probably commited to an outnumbered fight you couldn't win. Is this his fault? No, it was actually yours. So what's your reason to hold a grudge against him? Objectively none.

oh i dont have an issue with people grouping up to beat me, thats fine. if i would avoid outnumbered fights i might aswell stay in spawn. but i dont see why i should let them make fun of me. i mean i dont feel the need to jump on everyone that i kill, then i would need a new keyboard every week but somehow mostly when i happen to die there is someone in dire need to offend me.

Still would like to know who the warrior was from CD that I fought by QL yesterday. We pounded on each other for about 5 min without anyone taking much damage. We settled for emoting at each other and going our separate ways. Im still laughing about it.

**Bowing**: Helps you arrange duels

**Waving**: Helps you tell that you have to go

**Laughing**: Well telling enemy they're doing something wrong or you hate them. You can laugh at someone at cannon/ac while youre trying to have fair blob vs blob to tell them to get off it, its pretty useful.

**Pointing**: Just being rude overall.

**Sitting/Sleeping**: Tells people you're harmless

Now, real world is much more rude, if you cant handle a few minor taunts, how can you even go outside?

Sometimes I troll ganker guilds that only do 2-4v1 by coming on high mobility class and trolling them so they cant gank anyone or they're permanently in combat thus annoyed af. Then they laugh or something, its ok, id hate if theyd ignore me more (thats why I ignore random trolls myself)

Sometimes I command and enemy people laugh and point at me, well ty, now I know theres gonna be commanderfocus up front, ty for the info ;)

Anyways there been some funny dancing and roleplay moments etc. Seeing the emotes has definitely been more useful than not, better than being ballistaed every time.

> this whole conversation is a good example of how general toxicity in competitive game mode occurs. I just dont understand why they decided, oh yes open communication with the enemy team is far too toxic, but emotes..... thats just the right amount of toxicity?

>

They probably expected the average person to be able to handle an emote, which they can turn off in options. I wonder where we are going to end up in a few years time if this extreme reaction to anything that makes us uncomfortable continues along the path it's going.

> @"Threather.9354" said:

> Now, real world is much more rude, if you cant handle a few minor taunts, how can you even go outside?

ignoring is not the only way to react to a taunt. you even get sometimes lesser punishment if you smash someones face in after a taunt then doing the same without reason.

so people even in real world hardly allways just ignore the taunts. when someone be it ingame or real world tries to offend you, sayin ' just dont feel offended' is not really helpfull, with this you are kind of defending, supporting their effort. i personally would prefer to play without an exchange of toxicities, would simply be more enjoyable for me.

however removin emotes wouldnt change a bit the toxicity.

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

>

> > this whole conversation is a good example of how general toxicity in competitive game mode occurs. I just dont understand why they decided, oh yes open communication with the enemy team is far too toxic, but emotes..... thats just the right amount of toxicity?

> >

> They probably expected the average person to be able to handle an emote, which they can turn off in options. I wonder where we are going to end up in a few years time if this extreme reaction to anything that makes us uncomfortable continues along the path it's going.

>

being able to handle them doesnt mean you enjoy the exchange of toxicities, therefor there will allways be some to look for ways to reduce it.

The real world is less rude in civilised countries, to be honest. Mainly because the consequences are a lot harsher. The kinds of things people will say to each other on the internet would put them on unemployment benefit, in hospital or in jail if they did the same thing in real life.

Cheering / jumping ect. Is not griefing, its rude, but not griefing. Griefing is when you are being continually harrased by player or group, such as being sent whispers over and over and saying 1v1 me noob or you is noobs etc. These emotes and corpse jumping behaviours can really trigger some people, but I find that those people need to be taken down a peg or two anyway. I think its funny and part of the game, its great when people give you a real reason to want to kill them and make it competitive.

> and saying that emotes are not necessarily toxic could apply to the argument of whether they should just allow full communication with the enemy team. if they did allow full communication, not all of those interactions would be toxic either, but the point is that they initially decided to not allow regular communication save for emotes because they determined that open communication would indeed be too toxic. So since the direction of why we don't have open communication in wvw is because of an argument of toxicity, im arguing as to why they stopped short of emotes.

Because just like profanity can be filtered, emotes can be disabled. Likewise, players can also be blocked. They gave us the ability to do so at our own discretion - however this is a much saner/safer avenue than direct communication because it quells most of the casual general player from lobbing verbal insults directly and in wvw it can try to make it less of a convenience from players relaying info to enemy [it's not going to stop it, but it can't be said 0 things were done]. The game is not the problem - it's who you are playing with/against. We aren't all playing how anet envisioned us to do - we are all doing how we think we want the game to be like. WvW in particular is like the wild wild west - it is unforgiving, relentless, there are swines on both sides and we face these everyday challenges. How can we make it better? What is better? What is your version of WvW? If everything is seemingly going to become toxic, including attacking another player then I don't know if a mode like this can exist, or if you should be playing it. Could you please post an example of a competitive game free of any kind of trolling/toxicity/bad manners/taunting? Sure, people aren't going to like certain things, but people will be people. I am curious if there might be anything that doesn't offend you in some manner. I implore anet to code something in game so players characters aren't facing OPs character or they might think they are looking at them funny, cos it might be offensive in some way. Need to also disable plates so they can't see things like "chicken chaser". Any interactions with another player will spawn feather dusters as weapons and when they fall they land on pillows. Also need underground safe/fast lanes to every objective, with a deployable tactivator that instantly takes over camp/sentry/keep/tower. Whenever there is a confrontation with enemy, it is solved through offerings of cookies and milk. What a great way to play! Is that the kind of wvw you are looking for?

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> I'm dying to know which finishers are considered toxic, I mean besides the ones that have toxic in their names. Because it seems, according to some atleast, almost everything else in wvw promotes negativity, so I'm really curious if I should just delete my Cow Finisher now, so I don't upset anyone in the future.

Llama Finisher, stomping is so lame. That's why i got it :)