Build Template Request [Merged]

this feature has been greatly needed since launch, but I doubt that it will ever be implemented. every now and then, anet devs pay it lip service as far back as 2014, but nothing has ever come of it.

http://dulfy.net/2014/06/05/gw2-developers-are-looking-into-build-templates/

https://web.archive.org/web/20140822183239/https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first

At first people hypothesized they were waiting until the trait rework (back when traits had stats tied to them) to develop a template system. Then devs mentioned there were some complicating factors with such a system in gw2 but solicited feedback as if they were going to start working on a system at some point. But after waiting years, I've reached the conclusion that either they have unsolvable technical issues that prevent templates, or they have made a design decision and simply have no intention of making templates. I'm leaning towards the latter since some non-anet individual apparently slapped together their own 3rd party template tool without too much trouble.

Possible reasons they don't want to make a template system:

-it would reduce the incentive for people to buy character slots to make new toons that have the separate builds

-they have some delusion that it would decrease build diversity since it would be easier for people to share and copy meta builds

-they actually want less build diversity so the game is easier to balance. no templates means less people experimenting and less chance of someone finding some op edge build that they'd need to balance

-they want to save it as a carrot for the n'th xpac in the future.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Raolin Soulherder.3195" said:

> this feature has been greatly needed since launch, but I doubt that it will ever be implemented. every now and then, anet devs pay it lip service as far back as 2014, but nothing has ever come of it.

>

> http://dulfy.net/2014/06/05/gw2-developers-are-looking-into-build-templates/

>

> https://web.archive.org/web/20140822183239/https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first

>

> At first people hypothesized they were waiting until the trait rework (back when traits had stats tied to them) to develop a template system. Then devs mentioned there were some complicating factors with such a system in gw2 but solicited feedback as if they were going to start working on a system at some point. But after waiting years, I've reached the conclusion that either they have unsolvable technical issues that prevent templates, or they have made a design decision and simply have no intention of making templates. I'm leaning towards the latter since some non-anet individual apparently slapped together their own 3rd party template tool without too much trouble.

>

> Possible reasons they don't want to make a template system:

> -it would reduce the incentive for people to buy character slots to make new toons that have the separate builds

> -they have some delusion that it would decrease build diversity since it would be easier for people to share and copy meta builds

> -they actually want less build diversity so the game is easier to balance. no templates means less people experimenting and less chance of someone finding some op edge build that they'd need to balance

> -they want to save it as a carrot for the n'th xpac in the future.

>

PvP lobby has 3 pre-saved build template that Allows you to equip everything from amulets to sigils with just one click. So it's not like the design isnt there, just needs individual custom saved template.

So it could be another feature that would be released in the next expansion.

> @"dude.2950" said:

> > @"Raolin Soulherder.3195" said:

> > this feature has been greatly needed since launch, but I doubt that it will ever be implemented. every now and then, anet devs pay it lip service as far back as 2014, but nothing has ever come of it.

> >

> > http://dulfy.net/2014/06/05/gw2-developers-are-looking-into-build-templates/

> >

> > https://web.archive.org/web/20140822183239/https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp/Suggestion-Favorite-builds-button/first

> >

> > At first people hypothesized they were waiting until the trait rework (back when traits had stats tied to them) to develop a template system. Then devs mentioned there were some complicating factors with such a system in gw2 but solicited feedback as if they were going to start working on a system at some point. But after waiting years, I've reached the conclusion that either they have unsolvable technical issues that prevent templates, or they have made a design decision and simply have no intention of making templates. I'm leaning towards the latter since some non-anet individual apparently slapped together their own 3rd party template tool without too much trouble.

> >

> > Possible reasons they don't want to make a template system:

> > -it would reduce the incentive for people to buy character slots to make new toons that have the separate builds

> > -they have some delusion that it would decrease build diversity since it would be easier for people to share and copy meta builds

> > -they actually want less build diversity so the game is easier to balance. no templates means less people experimenting and less chance of someone finding some op edge build that they'd need to balance

> > -they want to save it as a carrot for the n'th xpac in the future.

> >

>

> PvP lobby has 3 pre-saved build template that Allows you to equip everything from amulets to sigils with just one click. So it's not like the design isnt there, just needs individual custom saved template.

> So it could be another feature that would be released in the next expansion.

6 years too late if you ask me

i dont really care i prob wont use it neway even if it was implemented cuz i dont like carrying extra items in my bags. and u know anet will not make a build template that hides the items from the bag... and store the gear in the template itself

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> i dont really care i prob wont use it neway even if it was implemented cuz i dont like carrying extra items in my bags. and u know anet will not make a build template that hides the items from the bag... and store the gear in the template itself

If they are smart, they will and earn sick money selling them through gemstore

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> and u know anet will not make a build template that hides the items from the bag... and store the gear in the template itself

They _could_, but it might not work like you'd expect and they probably wouldn't bother with the simpler chat code method. They'd basically add pages to the equipment and build tabs, allowing you to equip and swap between multiple sets. These pages would be sold through the gem store of course.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > Yes, compared to GW1 the sequel is constant flow of disappointment.

> > That sounds uniquely frustrating. Most people play games to enjoy themselves, or as a diversion from RL, or as a distraction from their troubles. A "constant flow of disappointment" subverts all of those. Perhaps you'd enjoy doing something else more? Surely there must be other games out there that are, at worst, only the occasional burst of disappointment.

> >

> >

>

> GW2 is good until you start comparing it to GW1. Build templates for example...

I see your problem then, should never have started to compare it to GW1 in the first place, just because the name was GW2 did not mean it was going to follow in the foot steps of the original. Actually, that was far from the case once they said it was going to be an open world MMO and not instanced based like GW1.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > Yes, compared to GW1 the sequel is constant flow of disappointment.

> > > That sounds uniquely frustrating. Most people play games to enjoy themselves, or as a diversion from RL, or as a distraction from their troubles. A "constant flow of disappointment" subverts all of those. Perhaps you'd enjoy doing something else more? Surely there must be other games out there that are, at worst, only the occasional burst of disappointment.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > GW2 is good until you start comparing it to GW1. Build templates for example...

>

> I see your problem then, should never have started to compare it to GW1 in the first place, just because the name was GW2 did not mean it was going to follow in the foot steps of the original. Actually, that was far from the case once they said it was going to be an open world MMO and not instanced based like GW1.

It means exactly that. The game is a sequel and always will be compared to original.

GW2 is different from GW1 in many ways, there is nothing wrong with comparing how the two differ from one another, but recognizing the differences and wanting them to be changed are different. Personally, I've been wanting build templates since GW2 was released. The ability to save and load build templates was added late into GW1, it was not immediately available, and it's addition to GW2 will not take anything away from either game. If anything it will be another QoL update that is wanted and will be highly used.

The argument could be made that players would just load templates without learning how to play them, but this is happening manually and has been for years.

I would love to have this added. As someone who changes character builds based on activity and party formation I have several "screenshot templates" i have saved because quite simply, I can't always remember them off the top of my head.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> I will snerk so hard when build templates finally get introduced, and all the people who wanted them so badly start complaining that they're not satisfied. Like Fleshy's signature says: _"Be careful what you wish for..."_

Wise devs would present possible build templates implementation and ask customers for feedback before releasing them as a surprise gift and create more problems than solve in the process.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > I will snerk so hard when build templates finally get introduced, and all the people who wanted them so badly start complaining that they're not satisfied. Like Fleshy's signature says: _"Be careful what you wish for..."_

>

> Wise devs would present possible build templates implementation and ask customers for feedback before releasing them as a surprise gift and create more problems than solve in the process.

Agreed, but this is Anet we're talking about.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > Yes, compared to GW1 the sequel is constant flow of disappointment.

> > That sounds uniquely frustrating. Most people play games to enjoy themselves, or as a diversion from RL, or as a distraction from their troubles. A "constant flow of disappointment" subverts all of those. Perhaps you'd enjoy doing something else more? Surely there must be other games out there that are, at worst, only the occasional burst of disappointment.

> >

> >

>

> GW2 is good until you start comparing it to GW1. Build templates for example...

That... And the understanding that sooooo much potential is there.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > Yes, compared to GW1 the sequel is constant flow of disappointment.

> > > > That sounds uniquely frustrating. Most people play games to enjoy themselves, or as a diversion from RL, or as a distraction from their troubles. A "constant flow of disappointment" subverts all of those. Perhaps you'd enjoy doing something else more? Surely there must be other games out there that are, at worst, only the occasional burst of disappointment.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > GW2 is good until you start comparing it to GW1. Build templates for example...

> >

> > I see your problem then, should never have started to compare it to GW1 in the first place, just because the name was GW2 did not mean it was going to follow in the foot steps of the original. Actually, that was far from the case once they said it was going to be an open world MMO and not instanced based like GW1.

>

> It means exactly that. The game is a sequel and always will be compared to original.

Sequel does not mean it's going to be exactly the same as the first game though...they basically told everyone that it wasn't going to be the same. I blame the consumers just as much as I blame the consumers for the criticism of ME: Andromeda. If you hype something up yourself then you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

• 5 months later...

I really wish build templates were directly in the game, people at my job know what build templates are even though they dont play the game. It has sorta become an office joke for a task that exists but will never get done

I have been using arcdps for build templates but it does not work well for WvW and PvP

Also Fractals raids and PVe I really want to play different builds and not risk losing gear or what not

If the devs are never going to work on build templates, could the community at least be allowed to work on the build template code?

I really would not care if the in game build templates were directly in the UI or if it was an NPC in lions arch

> @"Einsof.1457" said:

> I keep a notebook handy with all my builds and it only takes a few secs to swap everything. Not a perfect solution but I do have like 8 builds on my main so it's impossible to remember them all

I don't understand why ANet doesn't implement this into the game.

If it's really the case the build templates are 1-3 years out... and that each year when they reevaluate, it's still 1-3 years, then why not implement some "in the meantime" not-build-template work-arounds. For example:

* A 'screenshot'-like section of the hero panel. Makes it easier to compare skills & traits & gear. Example exists at [GW2 Timer](http://gw2timer.com/?page=Account&section=Hero) (requires API key)

* A minimalist text-capture of the build, e.g. "Dueling Top-Bottom-Top, ...Armor: Berserker 6x, Scholar's Rune 6x, ..."

* A "build notepad" of the type @"Einsof.1457" uses, allowing you to write whatever you like

* A link to an external website just for official builds. Allows people to alt-tab to compare.

tl;dr give us some sort of build-snapshots while we are waiting for build+gear loadouts

> @"Ignigknawt.7869" said:

> According to what I heard, they do want to implement build templates but the problem is they're closely tied to our characters' coding and if something goes wrong then our characters could be severely screwed up.

If this is the case why can't they write code that mimics the way players manually click on the traits. That way they are simply using code that they already know works fine.

Personally though, I gave up hope on build templates years ago.