Too much dismounting and remounting

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about wasted time. It's about key presses, at least for me. You may think this is a lot of complaining bout nothing, but just for reference, I kept track of my key presses using a monitor for the last day. I have pressed X more than any individual key, INCLUDING THE INDIVIDUAL WASDS keys (although not the WASDS together). Now obviously there is a lot more holding keys going on with WASD, but that still means that X has roughly DOUBLED the amount of key presses that go into navigation (I make extensive use of Action camera and autorun, so my press rate for WASD is lower than someone using classical navigation). That is a LOT of wear on the keyboard and the fingers, and I for one don't want repetitive motion strain.

I also have found myself running past harvest nodes rather than gathering them because I don't want to mount and dismount. I see people's point about just not remounting when there are several nodes nearby. To be honest, I have found myself having that exact argument with myself. Why did I get back on the mount if it was just going to annoy me to have to get off again? IDK.

Maybe the price of harvested goods will go up a bit if all the compulsive harvesters like me stop harvesting every node as a reflex. Could be a good thing.

Mounts are new. I figure once the novelty wears off, I will develop new habits and this won't annoy me so much. Or I will stop harvesting things I didn't need in the first place.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> If you want to talk to an NPC, chances are there's a few people in the neighbourhood that also want to talk to that NPC. Who wants big, kitten clusters of mounts obscuring everything? Not me!

EXACTLY!! I think it is not done well enough. There should be a circle around it so you don't see them unmount or mount again at all.

-----

Besides that the whole idea of the mounts is to use them for example the raptor for big leaps and long distances right? Or that rabbit for higher grounds. USE them for that and walk in towns or cities etc. Worked fine in the past 5 years.

> @killermanjaro.5670 said:

> I'm in favour of having it so people dismount when talking to NPCs, vendors etc as having a cluster of mounts on top of an NPC you need to use or talk to would be annoying visual clutter.

They do have to unmount to talk to an npc. But now they do that right infront of you ontop op the npc.

I like the way you describe it an annoying visual clutter.

It's not like there's not "visual clutter" anyway when a dozen people all with massive wings and glowy-showy legendaries and skyscraper-sized shoulders and half a dozen minions and a miniature camp the bankers and story-NPCs. So that argument doesn't make sense to me. Are the people who complain about mounts are willing to also put all _that_ crap away around NPCs and other people?

It is about two things: convenience (I too have found myself skipping resource nodes because I don't want the hassle and delay of having to fight half a dozen enemies or more before I can mount again, especially with all the ranged attacks and seemingly massive aggro radius) and as I said motion sickness. Flash and camera yank on dismount, flash and camera yank on remount. It's not a good feeling.

> @Chadramar.8156 said:

> It's not like there's not "visual clutter" anyway when a dozen people all with massive wings and glowy-showy legendaries and skyscraper-sized shoulders and half a dozen minions and a miniature camp the bankers and story-NPCs. So that argument doesn't make sense to me. Are the people who complain about mounts are willing to also put all _that_ crap away around NPCs and other people?

>

Yes there is already a lot of visual clutter in the form out glowing wings, size increasing tonics etc (things I personally hate), so yes it already is a problem. But the argument is to not have mounts add to that problem.

> @Biermeister.4678 said:

> It just bothers me when the dismount action throws you off a bluff or cliff because there is little room for the mount at some vistas or mastery points

There's that. Most frequent with springer, I guess, since that's the one for getting onto oftn narrow high places. On my first day with it, I clipped into one cliff and got flung off three others. :p

> @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> Too many things cause a dismount. We are having to remount CONSTANTLY. A non-exhaustive list:

> * Talking

> * Repairing

> * Shopping

> ~~* Gathering~~

> ~~* Vistas~~

> ~~* Interacting with non-combat quest objects (ie water dispensers, bleached bones, carrots, etc.)~~

> ~~* Resurrecting~~

> ~~* Opening chests~~

> ~~* Interacting with mastery points~~

>

> None of these (and this is not everything) are very rare. I checked my own key presses and X is now the most hit key IN THE ENTIRE GAME outside WASD-Space. We need to be able to do more mounted. The amount of extra clicking that is being generated is ludicrous.

3 of 9 you mention seems on par. However, the other 6 is just plain lazy and nothing more than a convinece.

> @Rhanoa.3960 said:

> > @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > Too many things cause a dismount. We are having to remount CONSTANTLY. A non-exhaustive list:

> > * Talking

> > * Repairing

> > * Shopping

> > ~~* Gathering~~

> > ~~* Vistas~~

> > ~~* Interacting with non-combat quest objects (ie water dispensers, bleached bones, carrots, etc.)~~

> > ~~* Resurrecting~~

> > ~~* Opening chests~~

> > ~~* Interacting with mastery points~~

> >

> > None of these (and this is not everything) are very rare. I checked my own key presses and X is now the most hit key IN THE ENTIRE GAME outside WASD-Space. We need to be able to do more mounted. The amount of extra clicking that is being generated is ludicrous.

>

> 3 of 9 you mention seems on par. However, the other 6 is just plain lazy and nothing more than a convinece.

It's a game. Why would I want a game to be inconvenient?

> @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > @Rhanoa.3960 said:

> > > @"Boogiepop Void.6473" said:

> > > Too many things cause a dismount. We are having to remount CONSTANTLY. A non-exhaustive list:

> > > * Talking

> > > * Repairing

> > > * Shopping

> > > ~~* Gathering~~

> > > ~~* Vistas~~

> > > ~~* Interacting with non-combat quest objects (ie water dispensers, bleached bones, carrots, etc.)~~

> > > ~~* Resurrecting~~

> > > ~~* Opening chests~~

> > > ~~* Interacting with mastery points~~

> > >

> > > None of these (and this is not everything) are very rare. I checked my own key presses and X is now the most hit key IN THE ENTIRE GAME outside WASD-Space. We need to be able to do more mounted. The amount of extra clicking that is being generated is ludicrous.

> >

> > 3 of 9 you mention seems on par. However, the other 6 is just plain lazy and nothing more than a convinece.

>

> It's a game. Why would I want a game to be inconvenient?

Seriously? Did you just Google that?

I am a huge fan of automation and the digital age, but I do not want the game playing for me.

What next, if you discover a Mastery, Vista, Ressing, Chest, Gathering you shouldn't have to click on it either?

> @Ardid.7203 said:

> The game should automatically dismount you when approaching interaction items or npcs, BEFORE standing close to them.

I disagree. Just because I run past a harvesting node or an npc doesn't mean I want to dismount. I should be able to ignore them and run across the map with out being constantly dragged off my mount. That would be super annoying.