Flag DPS-Meter user in the game

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> > > >

> > > > I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

> > >

> > > It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

> > > Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

> >

> > Every kick of any player out of a party by a DPS-meter user proves you are wrong.

>

> It proves that people viewed *public data* and used that data to kick someone who *underperformed*. It does not prove that the data is yours, nor does it prove that it infringes on your legal right to your *personal data* being kept safe. Because Anet owns the data of the damage your did, and they allow players to view it.

You are just doing it rigth here in the text: Judging people based on leaked (or published, both is wrong) personal infomation.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > > > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> > > > >

> > > > > I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

> > > >

> > > > It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

> > > > Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

> > >

> > > Every kick of any player out of a party by a DPS-meter user proves you are wrong.

> >

> > It proves that people viewed *public data* and used that data to kick someone who *underperformed*. It does not prove that the data is yours, nor does it prove that it infringes on your legal right to your *personal data* being kept safe. Because Anet owns the data of the damage your did, and they allow players to view it.

>

> You are just doing it rigth here in the text: Judging people based on leaked personal infomation.

**It is not personal information**.

Personal information, is classed as your real name, addresss, DoB, social security numbers, bank details etc. Numbers in a DPS meter in an online game does not fall in this category because I can't **personally identify you** by viewing it. Ergo, it is **public data**.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > > > The data is owned by Anet. You paid to access the game, *not own it*.

> > > > >

> > > > > I did not claim to own it. I claim it my data in the sense of it's data about me, publish by ANet due to a known leak, processed in the intent to judge my playstyle.

> > > >

> > > > It is not your data. It is not about your person, ergo, it is not sensitive data that would identify you, or infringe upon your rights as a consumer.

> > > > Now we can dance around in circles all night, these facts will not change no matter how you word it.

> > >

> > > Every kick of any player out of a party by a DPS-meter user proves you are wrong.

> >

> > It proves that people viewed *public data* and used that data to kick someone who *underperformed*. It does not prove that the data is yours, nor does it prove that it infringes on your legal right to your *personal data* being kept safe. Because Anet owns the data of the damage your did, and they allow players to view it.

>

> You are just doing it rigth here in the text: Judging people based on leaked personal infomation.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

It’s not personal information as defined by the applicable legal definitions, as stated above numerous times.

> @"Miko.4158" said:

> why do think only name and address is personal data?

> its profiling, its meta data, and it just gets linked to an individual.

> alot of these examples are assumptions off forums, if you join a public forum then consent is granted.

> very different from taking data off someone else.

> the point on dps meters its intrusive. the legal examples on this thread which were invoked to say its not illegal are washy at best.

> its third party so its not covered by the t+Cs of the game.

> nor have I seen anything from GW2 saying you can collect other peoples data.

> if they publish data its anonymised, and not linked to an individual.

> if you whisper someone their dps, and abuse its shaky ground.

> if someone did it to me I'd report them .

> I suggest other people do the same. atleast that way GW2 can sort it out.

> personally I'd like to see it integrated into the game so people have a choice, I cant see doing it by stealth is ethical.

>

They dont whisper your dps and/or abuse you, they kick you and get a new person only telling you why if you whisper them

> @"Miko.4158" said:

> why do think only name and address is personal data?

> its profiling, its meta data, and it just gets linked to an individual.

> alot of these examples are assumptions off forums, if you join a public forum then consent is granted.

> very different from taking data off someone else.

> the point on dps meters its intrusive. the legal examples on this thread which were invoked to say its not illegal are washy at best.

> its third party so its not covered by the t+Cs of the game.

> nor have I seen anything from GW2 saying you can collect other peoples data.

> if they publish data its anonymised, and not linked to an individual.

> if you whisper someone their dps, and abuse its shaky ground.

> if someone did it to me I'd report them .

> I suggest other people do the same. atleast that way GW2 can sort it out.

> personally I'd like to see it integrated into the game so people have a choice, I cant see doing it by stealth is ethical.

>

So you got bullied by people who judged unfairly why dont.you do the bettet sugestion ask anet to ban the meter

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > ANet has already made its conclusions, announced them to the player base, and moved on from the matter.

>

> It's not that easy ;) Several online game companies already closed sales in Europe (https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/DSGVO-und-Videospiele-Warum-manche-Entwickler-ihre-Online-Games-jetzt-abschalten-4040471.html) because they found it to difficult to justify the data processing they are doing, the only "ANet" statement over that topic that I know is from a single developer (probably not a lawyer in 2nd profession ;) ) that finds it cool. But will ANet prefer to close EU-sales just to make NA-DPS-Meter users happy?

>

You spoke of waiting until anet made its conclusions. They have. They have said so. They have established policy on the matter.

You dont need to wait. Anet did as you ask well before you asked.

> @"Miko.4158" said:

> this comes up at work loads, and I've done a fair amount of law.

> I've also quoted the data protection act 1998.

> you are safest at aggregated or stats even though the money is at lower levels profiling.

> this goes foe everything, say I have a security camera outside my shop, put up a sign you are being recorded.

> then watch it and cut up the stats into male female etc. footfall and advertising etc is worth money

> at the individual level its shady ground.

> law once again:

> The definition of personal data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified

>

> from that data.

>

> not to say it doesn't happen all the time.

> but saying its simple or 'I am the definitive expert' is balls.

> and completely underestimates the issue. data has grown faster than legislation.

>

The meter isnt doing anything illegal that combat data is loaded in backround the second you group all the groups dps data is on your pc as on theirs. But in this case its more about bullying (by kicking ppl doing.their best if they dont have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them) pointing someone out is harasment

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> by kicking ppl doing.their best if they dont have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them)

It is no players duty to carry any other player. We’ve been over this. You open a group, asking for a carry, see how quickly it fills, I bet you’ll be waiting a while.

Players post LFGs looking for people who pull their weight in the content advertised. If you don’t have the minimum to get through it, you will get kicked. I don’t carry people, because they don’t learn. You want players to have the best setup for their role, the minimum AR requirement for a given fractal, to know what you’re walking into etc, they won’t when they get carried, because they will continue to leech instead, because it’s easier for them.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Miko.4158" said:

> > why do think only name and address is personal data?

> > its profiling, its meta data, and it just gets linked to an individual.

> > alot of these examples are assumptions off forums, if you join a public forum then consent is granted.

> > very different from taking data off someone else.

> > the point on dps meters its intrusive. the legal examples on this thread which were invoked to say its not illegal are washy at best.

> > its third party so its not covered by the t+Cs of the game.

> > nor have I seen anything from GW2 saying you can collect other peoples data.

> > if they publish data its anonymised, and not linked to an individual.

> > if you whisper someone their dps, and abuse its shaky ground.

> > if someone did it to me I'd report them .

> > I suggest other people do the same. atleast that way GW2 can sort it out.

> > personally I'd like to see it integrated into the game so people have a choice, I cant see doing it by stealth is ethical.

> >

>

> So you got bullied by people who judged unfairly why dont.you do the bettet sugestion ask anet to ban the meter

If someone bullies you, anet has to ban the bully not the tool used to get the information you got bullied for.

> **It is not personal information**.

> Personal information, is classed as your real name, addresss, DoB, social security numbers, bank details etc. Numbers in a DPS meter in an online game does not fall in this category because I can't **personally identify you** by viewing it. Ergo, it is **public data**.

The Law goes even further (http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/r26.htm):

>! (26) The principles of data protection should apply to any information concerning an identified or identifiable natural person.

>!Personal data which have undergone pseudonymisation, which could be attributed to a natural person by the use of additional information should be considered to be information on an identifiable natural person.

>! To determine whether a natural person is identifiable, account should be taken of all the means reasonably likely to be used, such as singling out, either by the controller or by another person to identify the natural person directly or indirectly.

>! To ascertain whether means are reasonably likely to be used to identify the natural person, account should be taken of all objective factors, such as the costs of and the amount of time required for identification, taking into consideration the available technology at the time of the processing and technological developments.

>! The principles of data protection should therefore not apply to anonymous information, namely information which does not relate to an identified or identifiable natural person or to personal data rendered anonymous in such a manner that the data subject is not or no longer identifiable.

>! This Regulation does not therefore concern the processing of such anonymous information, including for statistical or research purposes.

It does NOT matter if YOU can identify me in real-world from Dayra.7405, it is sufficient that Dayra.7405 can identify me in principle e.g. by hacking ANet's database.

As such Dayra.7405. is PII and information related to PII is personal information.

And it is that even on it's own, as you can direct actions against me in game, and a person is playing a char in GW2. not a bot (hopefully :) ).

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > **It is not personal information**.

> > Personal information, is classed as your real name, addresss, DoB, social security numbers, bank details etc. Numbers in a DPS meter in an online game does not fall in this category because I can't **personally identify you** by viewing it. Ergo, it is **public data**.

>

> The Law goes even further (http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/r26.htm):

> >! (26) The principles of data protection should apply to any information concerning an identified or identifiable natural person.

> >!Personal data which have undergone pseudonymisation, which could be attributed to a natural person by the use of additional information should be considered to be information on an identifiable natural person.

> >! To determine whether a natural person is identifiable, account should be taken of all the means reasonably likely to be used, such as singling out, either by the controller or by another person to identify the natural person directly or indirectly.

> >! To ascertain whether means are reasonably likely to be used to identify the natural person, account should be taken of all objective factors, such as the costs of and the amount of time required for identification, taking into consideration the available technology at the time of the processing and technological developments.

> >! The principles of data protection should therefore not apply to anonymous information, namely information which does not relate to an identified or identifiable natural person or to personal data rendered anonymous in such a manner that the data subject is not or no longer identifiable.

> >! This Regulation does not therefore concern the processing of such anonymous information, including for statistical or research purposes.

>

> It does NOT matter if YOU can identify me in real-world from Dayra.7405, it is sufficient that Dayra.7405 can identify me in principle e.g. by hacking ANet's database.

> As such Dayra.7405. is PII and information related to PII is personal information.

> And it is that even on it's own, as you can direct actions against me in game, and a person is playing a char in GW2. not a bot (hopefully :) ).

>

And yet the information in question, DPS, is not "concerning" you. It is concerning a fictiinal character in a fictional setting, both owned entirely by arenanet.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > Personal information, is classed as your real name, addresss, DoB, social security numbers, bank details etc. Numbers in a DPS meter in an online game does not fall in this category because I can't **personally identify you** by viewing it. Ergo, it is **public data**.

>

> >! (26) The principles of data protection should apply to any information concerning an identified or identifiable natural person.

> >!Personal data which have undergone pseudonymisation, which could be attributed to a natural person by the use of additional information should be considered to be information on an identifiable natural person.

> >! To determine whether a natural person is identifiable, account should be taken of all the means reasonably likely to be used, such as singling out, either by the controller or by another person to identify the natural person directly or indirectly.

> >! To ascertain whether means are reasonably likely to be used to identify the natural person, account should be taken of all objective factors, such as the costs of and the amount of time required for identification, taking into consideration the available technology at the time of the processing and technological developments.

> >! The principles of data protection should therefore not apply to anonymous information, namely information which does not relate to an identified or identifiable natural person or to personal data rendered anonymous in such a manner that the data subject is not or no longer identifiable.

> >! This Regulation does not therefore concern the processing of such anonymous information, including for statistical or research purposes.

>

> It does NOT matter if YOU can identify me in real-world from Dayra.7405, it is sufficient that Dayra.7405 can identify me in principle e.g. by hacking ANet's database.

> As such Dayra.7405. is PII and information related to PII is personal information.

> And it is that even on it's own, as you can direct actions against me in game, and a person is playing a char in GW2. not a bot (hopefully :) ).

>

Data may not be processed unless there is at least one lawful basis to do so.

**The data subject has given consent to the processing of personal data for one or more specific purposes.** (You agreed by clicking “I agree” to Anets ToS, UA and their Privacy Policy to be able to log in and play). This pertains to information you input like your email and card details should you use it on the Gemstore.

Your damage calculations, do not identify you and are not kept on a persistent record. All other data which would personally identify you is encrypted. Since Anet has Green Lit ArcDPS, they’re obviously ok with the data that does get revealed with its use, as it is not sensitive data.

Yawn.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> And yet the information in question, DPS, is not "concerning" you. It is concerning a fictiinal character in a fictional setting, both owned entirely by arenanet.

a) ownership is irrelevant.

b) what do you think I am a chat bot or a person?

c) The DPS I am doing is information over me very similar to a school grade, it maps my behavior onto a numeric scale to judge me.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > And yet the information in question, DPS, is not "concerning" you. It is concerning a fictiinal character in a fictional setting, both owned entirely by arenanet.

>

> a) ownership is irrelevant.

> b) what do you think I am a chat bot or a person?

> c) The DPS I am doing is information over me.

And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

People don’t need a DPS meter to judge you, we can all read these forum posts and do that.

Hiding your hate of DPS meters behind a very very stretched ‘data protection issue’ is laughable.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

>

>

>

By the definitions and laws of the GDRP a Player cannot reasonably identify your Natural Person by your Gw2 Display Name. The fact that a Non Anet Entity would have break numerous Laws to even do so shows that your logic, understanding of the GDRP and argument is flawed. You consented to Anet safeguarding your provided personal data to use their service, which they do and they provide you with a pseudonymisation that ensures no one outside of an Anet entity can connect your Display Name to your Natural Self.

And by the definitions and legalese of the GDRP your Display Name is a Psuedonymisation and not Personals Data, again because it can not connect a player to that players Natural Self under normal circumstances.

> And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

What do you think why Zuckerberg was in the Senat-audit a few weeks ago? Facebook did not gave Home address, Email, Telephone number nor Social Security number to Cambridge Analytics, So why was he there? If you restrict personal information to just these you have no clue what going on in the data-economy.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > And yet the information in question, DPS, is not "concerning" you. It is concerning a fictiinal character in a fictional setting, both owned entirely by arenanet.

>

> c) The DPS I am doing is information over me very similar to a school grade, it maps my behavior onto a numeric scale to judge me.

Hun, your account name would be visible to anyone who plays with you even if they don't use the DPS meter. You can argue that DPS though creates a log that can be uploaded and shared publicly, but then we could also argue that anyone could take a screen of your account name or your toon and upload/share it, too.

Basically DPS meters don't make any difference and if you're that level of paranoid I'm afraid I have to contribute to it by reminding you that you are never safe. Every time you interact with someone, that someone can see your account name.

Your only way of complaining about this is asking anet to hide your ID.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

>

> c) The DPS I am doing is information over me very similar to a school grade, it maps my behavior onto a numeric scale to judge me.

All of these had been sufficiently debunked by numerous of people on this thread giving examples and citing the regulations. I am not sure why you still insist. Unless you are trolling at this point.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

>

> What do you think why Zuckerberg was in the Senat-audit a few weeks ago? Facebook did not gave Home address, Email, Telephone number nor Social Security number to Cambridge Analytics, So why was he there?

The data was detailed enough for Cambridge Analytica to create psychographical profiles of the subjects of the data. The data also included the **locations of each person**. For a given political campaign, the data was detailed enough to create a profile which suggested what kind of advertisement would be most effective to persuade a particular person in a particular location for some political event.

A mix of sensitive data (real location) leak and voter manipulation. Do DPS meters have a preferred political stance?

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

>

> What do you think why Zuckerberg was in the Senat-audit a few weeks ago? Facebook did not gave Home address, Email, Telephone number nor Social Security number to Cambridge Analytics, So why was he there?

If you actually read up on why he was in the hearing you would know that the data breach was through a Facebook app Personality test which took all profile information and Friends list data of all Participants which all of that data is Personal Data, since it included actual Names, Employer Information, Birthdates, etc all of which are defined as Personal Data, Which was all distributed to unauthorized third-party entities, which is completely different than a Display Name that isn’t connected to a Player’s Natural Person.

Those pesky facts.

I don't see why people are so offended by people knowing they're using DPS meters, unless they think they'll be treated different because of it and could have difficulty finding parties. I'm in favor of something like that being made public, because it can make it clear to people that you're using it and may want other players who are using it (like if you've got your own party up in the LFG), and also lets someone know if someone they're thinking of joining is using one in case they want to avoid that.

> > @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

> >

> > What do you think why Zuckerberg was in the Senat-audit a few weeks ago? Facebook did not gave Home address, Email, Telephone number nor Social Security number to Cambridge Analytics, So why was he there?

>

> The data was detailed enough for Cambridge Analytica to create psychographical profiles of the subjects of the data. The data also included the **locations of each person**. For a given political campaign, the data was detailed enough to create a profile which suggested what kind of advertisement would be most effective to persuade a particular person in a particular location for some political event.

>

> A mix of sensitive data (real location) leak and voter manipulation. Do DPS meters have a preferred political stance?

Don‘t know, but a correlation to political stance wouldn't surprise me very much.

But fact is: it’s already enough to harm people ingame.