suggestion: anet should collaborate with Mattel (Scrabble)

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> the point of having a themed scrabble is that you can only use words from that theme... u can't use english anymore. so u can use abbrev. and phrases like sic em (blank tiles for spaces). common terms used in gw2 by players... thats what makes it _**special

That just wouldn't work. And it's not how the Star Trek themed set works:

"Star Trek themed Scrabble. Includes 79 word bonus Star Trek themed dictionary"

Or are you seriously trying to play Scrabble with a choice of only 79 words?

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > >

> > > > > I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

> > >

> > > Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit **exclusively.**

> >

> > not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).

> > i thought that was nice of them

>

> Creating positive PR is part of generating more profit through word of mouth.

Not only that, but isn't donating to charities considered a tax write-off in America?

Surely any Scrabble is "GW2 Scrabble" if you house-rule your acceptable terms.

On the other hand, partnering with Mattel could bring so much more than one board game: branded Monopoly, Life, etc., action figures, comic books, trading cards... A company like Mattel has a lot to offer in terms of [merchandising](

"merchandising")... but they know it, and will expect NCSoft to pay a lot for it.

I, for one, am holding out for the Guild Wars themed LEGO sets... and flamethrowers.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Anet are currently working in collaboration with a fan site (or several fan sites?) on a deck of Tarot cards, and of course they've got the whole fan art merchandise website up, so other collaborations and spin-off products aren't out of the question.

>

> The tricky part, if Scrabble is still under copyright, would be getting permission from the owners of the game. They almost certainly would want to see some profit from it, if only in the form of someone (likely Anet) paying a fee to use their product. I have no idea how that works, whether Anet would have to contact them and work out a deal or if someone could get permission from Anet to design it and then go to Mattel themselves to get permission from them too. But I'm sure there are people out there who know how these things are done, it's just not something I've ever had to do myself.

>

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> >

> > > I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

> >

> >

> > i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit. y'know there are some ppl in this world who make/create things for the artistry and for entertaining others. like the creator of gw2 (whoever it is... am sure it's not mike obrien or whatever) is like super rich right now and can retire and live the rest of his/her life work-free... but they continue to make expansions to entertain other ppl and to continue to story of ascalon.

> >

> > some of us make things for artistry... it's not about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time... jesus.

> >

> > u think michelangelo made that naked male statue to become a millionaire??? eff NO. he made it cuz he appreciated the male form... etc.

>

> Actually Mike O'Brien is the creator of GW2. He and 2 other people (Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain) quit Blizzard early in the development of WoW to pursue their own ideas about how an MMO could be created and run. They founded Arenanet, created GW1 and later GW2 (although I think the other two had left by then). Of course a lot of other people have been involved. I doubt he's "super rich" although I'm sure he gets a decent salary from Anet, and as a general rule people who do things for the love of it don't tend to retire as soon as they have enough money...they keep doing it because they like it.

>

> (Also at the risk of disappointing you Michelangelo's David was a commission - he was hired to create it as decoration for a cathedral.)

>

> Sadly it's rarely as simple as people doing things for free because they love it or doing it for money because they're greedy kittens who don't care about anything else. I love my job and I think the work my employer does is very important. But I can't work for free out of love of the cause because I have to buy food, pay rent and all those other things and need money to do it, and don't have time to do something else for money in addition to my job.

>

> It's the same for Anet and Mattel. They might both love the idea of making a GW2 Scrabble game, but people at both companies would have to spend their time making it happen and they need to be paid for that time in order to buy food and other things they need to live. That money has to come from somewhere. The obvious and well established method is for the people who are going to use and enjoy the end product to pay for it. But that's risky - you have to do all the work before you have any chance of being paid for it, if it falls through and no one buys it you've lost all the money paid to the people who made it. A company can maybe afford to do that occasionally, but only if other things they make earn even more than they cost to make. So ideally they need to be sure when they start that enough people are going to pay for it to cover the cost, and ideally a bit more so they have money to put towards other new products in future.

>

> There are other options, like a wealthy donor providing the money to make it happen, but that's pretty rare and unlikely.

missed this post for some reason.

but i agree with everything you said. of course ppl shouldn't work for free, they need to put food on their table etc... what i meant was michelangelo didn't make that statue and expected to get profits and become a millionaire, certain things inspired him to make that statue... it's not because of the love of money. you can't create something that beautiful if ure solely inspired by money is my point.

having said all that, im not saying GW2 Scrabble is like a masterpiece work of art... but it's like the epitome of geekiness... it's like having a VR set or whatever... it satisfies your inner geek.

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > I am pretty sure costs are much bigger than possible gain for anet and mattel from this.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > i swear to god, some ppl... all they care about is profit.

> > > >

> > > > Anet and Mattel are companies. They are motivated by profit **exclusively.**

> > >

> > > not always, wasn't it just few months ago anet donated $2000 (or more don't remember) to some charity for sick kids or something (maybe another group can't remember).

> > > i thought that was nice of them

> >

> > Creating positive PR is part of generating more profit through word of mouth.

>

> Not only that, but isn't donating to charities considered a tax write-off in America?

Not murican, so idk but it's possible as I know there are tax write-offs possible for this in EU.

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> > the point of having a themed scrabble is that you can only use words from that theme... u can't use english anymore. so u can use abbrev. and phrases like sic em (blank tiles for spaces). common terms used in gw2 by players... thats what makes it _**special

>

> That just wouldn't work. And it's not how the Star Trek themed set works:

>

> "Star Trek themed Scrabble. Includes 79 word bonus Star Trek themed dictionary"

>

> Or are you seriously trying to play Scrabble with a choice of only 79 words?

>

>

Yes, surely that would be way too restrictive - you'd hardly ever be able to play any words at all. Bonus points for Guild Wars-related words makes more sense, and you can do that without a different Scrabble set. (And I don't think any distribution of letters would make it easy enough to play Guild Wars-related words that your suggestion would actually work.)

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> I, for one, am holding out for the Guild Wars themed LEGO sets... and flamethrowers.

Hell yes!

• ArenaNet Staff

Personally, I crave GW2 Monopoly!

But my favorite board game is Clue. Sayyyy.... "Rytlock in the Astralarium with a Kudzu?"

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> I, for one, am holding out for the Guild Wars themed LEGO sets... and flamethrowers.

I would so love that!

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Personally, I crave GW2 Monopoly!

>

My little brother made Guild Wars Monopoly in about 2005 with a Make-Your-Own-Opoly set. The Chance cards said things like "Miss your next turn due to a server error" and "Underworld dual farming runs have been nerfed! If you're a Monk or Necromancer, you gain no money the next time you pass 'Go'".

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> Ken is a proper noun and it's allowed in original Scrabble... (unless there are some other meanings of Ken i'm not aware of) O___________o

>

> some of us make things for artistry... it's not about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time... jesus.

>

> u think michelangelo made that naked male statue to become a millionaire??? eff NO. he made it cuz he appreciated the male form... etc.

First of all, ken means your depth of understanding of a given subject

Second of all, yes, Michelangelo DID sculpt David for money. He was commissioned to sculpt it by the city of Florence and the Arte della Lana. He was under contract for a substantial amount of money

Edit: I guess you could say Art History is beyond your ken

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > @"costepj.5120" said:

> > Just print out a list of related words and keep it with your dictionary. Agree with your opponents that those words are allowed. Joko and Palawadan are proper nouns, so should not be allowed, but you can make whatever exceptions you like as long as all players agree.

>

> ???

> Ken is a proper noun and it's allowed in original Scrabble... (unless there are some other meanings of Ken i'm not aware of) O___________o

>

Well, since you asked: ken

ken

noun

one's range of knowledge or sight.

"such determination is beyond my ken" In this case it's not a proper noun so can be used in Scrabble, just like Jane(s), Jo(s), and Joe(s)...there are many others I'm sure, hell they even use Chinese words, Hebrew words, Spanish words and probably a few other languages, so without getting a copy of the Official Scrabble Dictionary we have no idea what's in it.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Personally, I crave GW2 Monopoly!

>

> But my favorite board game is Clue. Sayyyy.... "Rytlock in the Astralarium with a Kudzu?"

>

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

>

> > I, for one, am holding out for the Guild Wars themed LEGO sets... and flamethrowers.

>

> I would so love that!

GW2 monopoly! Now that is an idea I like!

> @"Lankmaster.6507" said:

> > some of us make things for artistry... it's not about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all the time... jesus.

>

> > honey, nothing in life is free.

>

> I think you may be contradicting yourself here.

>

>

not really, as the second comment is more tongue in cheek... it's like saying the best things in life are free, when u know those things could destroy you as well (talking about love).

On topic: I agree with ppl above, GW2 monopoly, gw2 clues, gw2 who wants to be a millionaire, gw2 ~~battle ~~airship. how amazing would that be?!? @MikeObrien