Mesmer balance changes

OriOri.8724

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> I really don't see stunbreak on dodge as a problem. Dodge is already using the same mechanics as an ammo skill. And the whole "thing" of Mirage seems to be that the devs crammed a bunch of mechanics into dodge: damage avoidance, burst damage, ability to keep doing things since you don't move (which to be fair is intended as a downside, but eh), and then either clones for more burst, PBAE condi or stunbreak/condicleanse.

>

> I mean, it's not good design. **Mirage that is**. I'd scrap the spec and start from the very beginning, with a **theme**.

Nah, stunbreak on dodge while also having a plethora of low cool down stunbreaks is definitely a problem and it gets even worse when you take mirage into WvW where you can use adventure runes, food and still do insane damage via bloodlust and impact sigil if you want as well as energy sigils being 1 whole dodge.

We saw all these problems (of dodges doing so much and having few to no counterplay) with daredevil and I said it was overpowered then, it’s overpowered now on mirage. If you preferred the pace of gameplay and skill requirements of pre HoT then all of it is most definitely overpowered beyond any measure of doubt.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> Core mesmer:

> * All traits that trigger off of "when a phantasm is spawned/created" are changed to trigger when a phantasm skill is used

> * Phantasmal Disenchanter - Base damage reduced by 75% (250 damage), deals 20% increased damage per boon removed, still unblockable.

> * Phantasmal Defender - Reduce maximum damage increase to 250% in PvP/WvW. Reduce base damage by 25%

>

> Chronomancer:

> * Chronophantasma - All phantasms deal 25% (or 33%) less damage. The first time a phantasm would become a clone, it instead resummons itself and attacks again. Reduce daze duration to 1 second

>

> Mirage:

> * Elusive Mind - Cleanse a condition whenever you gain mirage cloak. No more stun break.

>

> I think this would go a long way towards addressing the problems that people have with the class without nerfing it too hard, or nerfing the wrong things. Defender and Disenchanter are not offensive skills, and their damage should reflect that. Even with 5 boons stripped, this version of the disenchanter would only deal half as much as the current phantasm deals to enemies without any boons.

>

> The change to CP means that other players don't have to keep track of which phantasms have already been resummoned (and hence are dealing 50% less damage), and which ones were just summoned and are dealing full damage, which should make it less frustrating to fight a chronomancer, while still nerfing total phantasm damage output just as much or more than the current version of the trait.

>

> The change to traits that trigger off of "spawning a phantasm" is a bit of a nerf overall to chronomancers running CP, but otherwise won't affect core mesmer or mirage in any way outside of proccing mental defense

>

> Finally, EM. The stunbreak on dodge is not only incredibly broken, its also highly redundant on mesmer due to our high amounts of stun breaks along with F4, and even more redundant on mirage due to being able to dodge while stunned anyway, and it was also the only broken/OP aspect of the trait. Since 1 condi cleansed per dodge is kind of lackluster for a GM trait (in my opinion), the condi cleanse aspect was slightly buffed, but should still be balanced.

I get what your saying but **Noooo**. Just becuz ppl will always find something else to nerf even if you implemented what your proposing.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> I really don't see stunbreak on dodge as a problem. Dodge is already using the same mechanics as an ammo skill. And the whole "thing" of Mirage seems to be that the devs crammed a bunch of mechanics into dodge: damage avoidance, burst damage, ability to keep doing things since you don't move (which to be fair is intended as a downside, but eh), and then either clones for more burst, PBAE condi or stunbreak/condicleanse.

>

> I mean, it's not good design. **Mirage that is**. I'd scrap the spec and start from the very beginning, with a **theme**.

Its not the fact that the stunbreak is tied to dodge so much as the ICD on the stunbreak being tied to the CD on dodging. Without vigor, this means you average 1 stunbreak every 10 seconds, without taking up a utility slot nonetheless. No other stunbreaks in the game come close to that, making this, by far, the best stunbreak in the game purely from how often you can use it. With vigor (and in WvW/PvE with endurance regen food), this effective CD on stunbreak becomes laughably low. That's the problem.

Yes, you can slap an ICD on the stunbreak, and yes you could do some fancy UI magic so that you don't have to keep track of it in your head. And yes, doing this you could get it balanced, and yes I was once in favor of doing just this. But now I feel like that will make the trait rather boring. I'm not a huge fan of traits with ICDs, especially ICDs above ~5 seconds. At that point I feel that the effects of the trait are getting strong enough that they are bordering on the territory of actual skills, and that's why I'm no longer in favor of keeping the stunbreak on dodge but just adding a suitable CD to it

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > I really don't see stunbreak on dodge as a problem. Dodge is already using the same mechanics as an ammo skill. And the whole "thing" of Mirage seems to be that the devs crammed a bunch of mechanics into dodge: damage avoidance, burst damage, ability to keep doing things since you don't move (which to be fair is intended as a downside, but eh), and then either clones for more burst, PBAE condi or stunbreak/condicleanse.

> >

> > I mean, it's not good design. **Mirage that is**. I'd scrap the spec and start from the very beginning, with a **theme**.

>

> Its not the fact that the stunbreak is tied to dodge so much as the ICD on the stunbreak being tied to the CD on dodging. Without vigor, this means you average 1 stunbreak every 10 seconds, without taking up a utility slot nonetheless. No other stunbreaks in the game come close to that, making this, by far, the best stunbreak in the game purely from how often you can use it. With vigor (and in WvW/PvE with endurance regen food), this effective CD on stunbreak becomes laughably low. That's the problem.

>

> Yes, you can slap an ICD on the stunbreak, and yes you could do some fancy UI magic so that you don't have to keep track of it in your head. And yes, doing this you could get it balanced, and yes I was once in favor of doing just this. But now I feel like that will make the trait rather boring. I'm not a huge fan of traits with ICDs, especially ICDs above ~5 seconds. At that point I feel that the effects of the trait are getting strong enough that they are bordering on the territory of actual skills, and that's why I'm no longer in favor of keeping the stunbreak on dodge but just adding a suitable CD to it

The problem is that stun break is significantly less useful to Mirage than any other class because they can still teleport and evade. So, if you limit the stun break on EM the way you would for other classes where stun breaks are an absolutely critical ability to have, the skill becomes not worth taking. I suggest removing the stun break and replacing this trait with an entirely different function (TBD). It seems to me that if Mirage wants access to a stun break, they can use a utility slot like many other classes do.

In a funny way actually it may be beneficial to remove the stunbreak entirely - but for a slightly different reason - "accidental stunbreak" due to the frequent usage of the dodge key in combat.

Think of the number of times with Elusive Mind you may have unintentionally dodged in the middle of something like a 1/2s daze, currently with the penalty of a full 3s Exhaustion. If there was a decoupled longer ICD for stunbreak, this would be awful because you'd essentially waste the stunbreak cooldown unintentionally - simply because of how often the dodge key must be used in combat.

In this way it would actually be beneficial (ie a "buff") for stunbreak to be elsewhere than dodge (ie normal utility skills) because it allows more player control as to when to use a stunbreak cooldown rather than accidently waste it because you have to dodge.

Part of me thinks for the sake of balance that everything should be scaled back and baseline Mirage should not be able to dodge at all while cced - but Elusive Mind simply allows the normal dodging while cced without any stunbreak function.

> @"Curunen.8729" said:

> In a funny way actually it may be beneficial to remove the stunbreak entirely - but for a slightly different reason - "accidental stunbreak" due to the frequent usage of the dodge key in combat.

>

> Think of the number of times with Elusive Mind you may have unintentionally dodged in the middle of something like a 1/2s daze, currently with the penalty of a full 3s Exhaustion. If there was a decoupled longer ICD for stunbreak, this would be awful because you'd essentially waste the stunbreak cooldown unintentionally - simply because of how often the dodge key must be used in combat.

>

> In this way it would actually be beneficial (ie a "buff") for stunbreak to be elsewhere than dodge (ie normal utility skills) because it allows more player control as to when to use a stunbreak cooldown rather than accidently waste it because you have to dodge.

>

> Part of me thinks for the sake of balance that everything should be scaled back and baseline Mirage should not be able to dodge at all while cced - but Elusive Mind simply allows the normal dodging while cced without any stunbreak function.

If they're going to do that, then I suggest making IH baseline. It's hard to look at ambush without IH as a properly functioning skill, but it's something we've been able to ignore because of the state of the grandmaster tier traits in mirage. Redesign the whole thing and give us real choices. ..just don't kill the play style, because it really is one of the most enjoyable I've seen in any Mmo.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Curunen.8729" said:

> > In a funny way actually it may be beneficial to remove the stunbreak entirely - but for a slightly different reason - "accidental stunbreak" due to the frequent usage of the dodge key in combat.

> >

> > Think of the number of times with Elusive Mind you may have unintentionally dodged in the middle of something like a 1/2s daze, currently with the penalty of a full 3s Exhaustion. If there was a decoupled longer ICD for stunbreak, this would be awful because you'd essentially waste the stunbreak cooldown unintentionally - simply because of how often the dodge key must be used in combat.

> >

> > In this way it would actually be beneficial (ie a "buff") for stunbreak to be elsewhere than dodge (ie normal utility skills) because it allows more player control as to when to use a stunbreak cooldown rather than accidently waste it because you have to dodge.

> >

> > Part of me thinks for the sake of balance that everything should be scaled back and baseline Mirage should not be able to dodge at all while cced - but Elusive Mind simply allows the normal dodging while cced without any stunbreak function.

>

> If they're going to do that, then I suggest making IH baseline. It's hard to look at ambush without IH as a properly functioning skill, but it's something we've been able to ignore because of the state of the grandmaster tier traits in mirage. Redesign the whole thing and give us real choices. ..just don't kill the play style, because it really is one of the most enjoyable I've seen in any Mmo.

Oh I agree thematically IH should be a standard feature of mirage, though as much as I'd like to see that happen I doubt any kind of big change like that would take place for a long time given the need to be "fair" to all other classes by giving one an in depth look each quarterly balance. Hopefully it happens in the future, but I don't expect such large changes before the next expansion.

> @"Curunen.8729" said:

> In a funny way actually it may be beneficial to remove the stunbreak entirely - but for a slightly different reason - "accidental stunbreak" due to the frequent usage of the dodge key in combat.

>

> Think of the number of times with Elusive Mind you may have unintentionally dodged in the middle of something like a 1/2s daze, currently with the penalty of a full 3s Exhaustion. If there was a decoupled longer ICD for stunbreak, this would be awful because you'd essentially waste the stunbreak cooldown unintentionally - simply because of how often the dodge key must be used in combat.

>

> In this way it would actually be beneficial (ie a "buff") for stunbreak to be elsewhere than dodge (ie normal utility skills) because it allows more player control as to when to use a stunbreak cooldown rather than accidently waste it because you have to dodge.

>

> Part of me thinks for the sake of balance that everything should be scaled back and baseline Mirage should not be able to dodge at all while cced - but Elusive Mind simply allows the normal dodging while cced without any stunbreak function.

I don’t use elusive mind, I stopped using it after the first round of nerfs to scourge as it is very obvious how overpowered it is to almost anyone. The stunbreak should be removed because it makes a mesmer nearly all but immune to playing bad and not dodging CC, it removes all reward from good play and timing from the opponent.

Having said that knowing the games history they might just add 20 CC skills to every class to be able to lock mirages down.

I agree with your last sentence, the game would be more fun if every class was scaled back right across the game, kind of like a reset.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> > @"Curunen.8729" said:

> > In a funny way actually it may be beneficial to remove the stunbreak entirely - but for a slightly different reason - "accidental stunbreak" due to the frequent usage of the dodge key in combat.

> >

> > Think of the number of times with Elusive Mind you may have unintentionally dodged in the middle of something like a 1/2s daze, currently with the penalty of a full 3s Exhaustion. If there was a decoupled longer ICD for stunbreak, this would be awful because you'd essentially waste the stunbreak cooldown unintentionally - simply because of how often the dodge key must be used in combat.

> >

> > In this way it would actually be beneficial (ie a "buff") for stunbreak to be elsewhere than dodge (ie normal utility skills) because it allows more player control as to when to use a stunbreak cooldown rather than accidently waste it because you have to dodge.

> >

> > Part of me thinks for the sake of balance that everything should be scaled back and baseline Mirage should not be able to dodge at all while cced - but Elusive Mind simply allows the normal dodging while cced without any stunbreak function.

>

> I don’t use elusive mind, I stopped using it after the first round of nerfs to scourge as it is very obvious how overpowered it is to almost anyone. The stunbreak should be removed because it makes a mesmer nearly all but immune to playing bad and not dodging CC, it removes all reward from good play and timing from the opponent.

>

> Having said that knowing the games history they might just add 20 CC skills to every class to be able to lock mirages down.

>

> I agree with your last sentence, the game would be more fun if every class was scaled back right across the game, kind of like a reset.

Personally I feel I've payed my dues with extensive and good play of old 20/20/0/0/30 and 4/4/0/0/6 shatter and variations in pvp such that I don't care if what I use now is seen to be overpowered or not - I play mainly out of enjoyment of the audio/visual aesthetic of the game and don't have this guilt trip for how I play. If you want to impose artificial handicaps for the sake of balance in your mind then more power to you - I can respect that. But if you're aiming to impose that on others and expect them to comply, that's neither possible or acceptable to try to control.

In addition some of the fun for me comes from maximising my efficiency within the boundaries Anet set through balance - it's fun trying to squeeze every bit of potential from something. In this way I agree certain nerfs are needed but I'm not about to put those limits on myself.

If anything I aim to maximise the build I play to allow for accomplishing more crazy feats than possible in the past. Eg to push the challenge when solo in wvw by seeing how much of an outnumbered or unfavourable situation I can deal with - like an adrenaline junkie. Bear in mind I have all but quit normal pvp for good now (I had my fill of conquest) and pretty much only play open world pve and wvw and seasonal things like snowball mayhem (I don't like the idea of raids, have no need to play dungeons and also technically "quit" t4 fractals having got all the rewards and achievements I want out of them, only casually playing t1 for relaxation).

Anyway regarding EM - the situation now is that whenever possible I try to wait out a cc (especially things like fear) before dodging, if possible, in order to avoid the exhaustion - but of course in a pressured situation it's better to proc the exhaustion in order to survive. On a class with a normal dodge, if you press dodge when under certain cc it will either not work (ie stun - the game will prevent you from doing it, unlike mirage dodge where you have to be conscious and choose to not try to dodge) or it does work anyway (ie daze - where elusive mind makes mirage dodge a downgrade from normal dodge because with normal dodge you don't get exhaustion but can still evade). Overall with mirage dodge it's a really awkward situation in one way but I suppose an interesting situation in another, in that it's incentivised to avoid using dodge when under any cc effect (and fear/taunt) unless absolutely necessary. For the record yes I don't like or think Exhaustion was the right solution, I'm just stating the above as observations.

The bottom line is as said in a previous post - now as a much more casual player I'm happy to sit back and chill, let Anet adjust/set the class limitations, and adapt when they do. Oh and yeah I do half expect a future elite spec will have ridiculous amounts of cc to "counter" this leading to more power creep (hopefully not, but there is the possibility). Could even be mesmer if we get 2H hammer - can fully imagine a "mesmer/warrior" heavy cc "mindcrushing" elite spec designed for control (if chrono is seen as support and mirage as dps).

Edit - apologies if I came on a little too defensively - I agree with the overall sentiment of wanting the game to be scaled back with less chaotic spam and overloaded particle effects/animations.

A couple of the things @"Curunen.8729" said really resonate for me. Thinking through new builds and trying them out is one of my favorite parts of the game. And that means I'm trying to maximize the build.

My skill level is much lower than the people who make the really amazing videos. Despite playing for five years, I seem to lack the ability to take in all the information and have the reflexes to deal with all of them. I blame it on getting old :)

But if I do come up with a build that's really powerful, then I do basically the same thing Curunen does, I try to take on more challenging fights. As someone who pretty much just does solo roaming in wvw, a lot of the fights are against two or more opponents. If I see an inexperienced player, I typically just walk past them. If I win a 1v1 fight too easily, I often will not stomp.

At the moment, I've finally found a Mirage build that seems like I can play okay (but I have lots of room to improve). So I hope it doesn't get nerfed into oblivion before I get a chance to get modestly competent with it and enjoy it for a couple of months.

> @"eldenbri.1059" said:

> A couple of the things @"Curunen.8729" said really resonate for me. Thinking through new builds and trying them out is one of my favorite parts of the game. And that means I'm trying to maximize the build.

>

> My skill level is much lower than the people who make the really amazing videos. Despite playing for five years, I seem to lack the ability to take in all the information and have the reflexes to deal with all of them. I blame it on getting old :)

>

> But if I do come up with a build that's really powerful, then I do basically the same thing Curunen does, I try to take on more challenging fights. As someone who pretty much just does solo roaming in wvw, a lot of the fights are against two or more opponents. If I see an inexperienced player, I typically just walk past them. If I win a 1v1 fight too easily, I often will not stomp.

>

> At the moment, I've finally found a Mirage build that seems like I can play okay (but I have lots of room to improve). So I hope it doesn't get nerfed into oblivion before I get a chance to get modestly competent with it and enjoy it for a couple of months.

For the record, I think you're a pretty good player based on your videos. And I do see the appeal of figuring out a better build, or more appropriately, a build that works better for you, and then seeing what more you can accomplish. But at the same time, I hate how much builds do for you now. Having stunbreaks on command remove the need to avoid/evade/block attacks that will stun you, and I hate that. It trivializes a huge part of the combat system (not JUST EM, but the general trend of skill/trait design ever singe HoT), which is a very big shame.

Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

> @"Oozo.7856" said:

> Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

> @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > @"Oozo.7856" said:

> > Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

>

> They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

Question, What is worst? Stunbreak on dodge? OR huge damage on dodge?

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > @"Oozo.7856" said:

> > > Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

> >

> > They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

>

> Question, What is worst? Stunbreak on dodge? OR huge damage on dodge?

I guess that would depend on whether or not the damage has counter-play wouldn't it?

> @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > @"Oozo.7856" said:

> > > > Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

> > >

> > > They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

> >

> > Question, What is worst? Stunbreak on dodge? OR huge damage on dodge?

>

> I guess that would depend on whether or not the damage has counter-play wouldn't it?

dodging jumping condi thief- dodge roll warrior, what else?

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > > @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > > > @"EpicTurtle.8571" said:

> > > > > @"Oozo.7856" said:

> > > > > Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

> > > >

> > > > They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

> > >

> > > Question, What is worst? Stunbreak on dodge? OR huge damage on dodge?

> >

> > I guess that would depend on whether or not the damage has counter-play wouldn't it?

>

> dodging jumping condi thief- dodge roll warrior, what else?

Vent exhaust holo.

Ideally I’d love to see some of those toned down a bit too but then I think everything is doing too much damage to keep based health pools as they are but I’d rather not see base health pools go up tbh.

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > > @"Oozo.7856" said:

> > > Stunbreak on dodge was a bad idea. If a mesmer wants stunbreaks they can build their utility bar for that. There are more than a few classes that have to make some real difficult choices for their utilities. If they want stunbreaks they have to give up some really good offensive synergy via utilities. Mirage doesn't have to make that choice if they want to crutch on EM for a stunbreak.

> >

> > They should have nipped it in the bud when it was universally panned during the beta preview like most people said they should have.

>

> Question, What is worst? Stunbreak on dodge? OR huge damage on dodge?

Stunbreak on dodge. Damage on dodge, while still a really fucking horrible idea, can at least be mitigated. But stunbreaks on dodge allow you to effectively ignore hard CC, which is not something that the other player can play around. There is no counterplay to stunbreak on dodge. There is counterplay to damage on dodge. But both should go really

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> Ideally I’d love to see some of those toned down a bit too but then I think everything is doing too much damage to keep based health pools as they are but I’d rather not see base health pools go up tbh.

Yeah it's a much bigger issue than any one spec, trait or effect.

Everything is **too** spammable, everything is **too** overloaded with secondary effects, everything is **too** amped up.

I'd prefer it if skills did one thing, and did it well. :pensive:

> @"apharma.3741" said:

> Ideally I’d love to see some of those toned down a bit too but then I think everything is doing too much damage to keep based health pools as they are but I’d rather not see base health pools go up tbh.

Yeah it's a much bigger issue than any one spec, trait or effect.

Everything is **too** spammable, everything is **too** overloaded with secondary effects, everything is **too** amped up.

I'd prefer it if skills did one thing, and did it well. :pensive:

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"apharma.3741" said:

> > Ideally I’d love to see some of those toned down a bit too but then I think everything is doing too much damage to keep based health pools as they are but I’d rather not see base health pools go up tbh.

>

> Yeah it's a much bigger issue than any one spec, trait or effect.

>

> Everything is **too** spammable, everything is **too** overloaded with secondary effects, everything is **too** amped up.

>

> I'd prefer it if skills did one thing, and did it well. :pensive:

>

Yes I remember bringing this up about holoforge skills being very spammable especially holo leap. People don’t want to give up the spam it seems.