auto target

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> > @"Neural.1824" said:

> > Mobs have their own priority in regards to how the targeting system works. The Champion mob that is eating your face and about to kill you unless you use CC has lower priority than the non-aggressive flock of Moa's that you don't see just off screen to your left.

>

> You say that as a joke but I find it consistently true. Bosses are targeted dead last after every other option is exhausted, even if they are hitting you and even if there are no closer mobs.

>

> EXCEPT Hab in Bloodstone Fen. When he spawns adds, suddenly auto target ONLY targets him and you can't target the adds while he's invulnerable unless you do it manually.

O_o I believe you when you say this, but ... your experience is most definitely not my experience here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Eme.2018" said:

> > @"Mrs Q.4081" said:

> > Dear Anet,

> > There is no scenario where I would want to target a wall instead of the enemies who are attacking me.

> > Yours Sincerely,

> > Every player ever.

>

> Auto targeting sucks in general, not only in this game. That's why no one ever uses it. I suggest you do the same.

>

>

Unfortunately, turning off auto-targeting doesn't turn off auto-targeting... that's just one more piece of GW2 functionality that is dysfunctional.

> @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> > I have never seen a game with such poor targeting.

>

> WoW used to target enemies behind you and halfway across the zone rather than the one beating you in the face. :/

How WoW worked was, you auto-target anything that hits you without pushing any button. If you push the tab for targeting, it cycles through any available mobs based on how far from you they are, so if you are trying to shoot at something at range, it would pick a neutral mob closer to you before the one you want to hit. BUT, if you do nothing it does pick whatever's hitting you.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > @"Hashberry.4510" said:

> > > I have never seen a game with such poor targeting.

> >

> > WoW used to target enemies behind you and halfway across the zone rather than the one beating you in the face. :/

>

> How WoW worked was, you auto-target anything that hits you without pushing any button. If you push the tab for targeting, it cycles through any available mobs based on how far from you they are, so if you are trying to shoot at something at range, it would pick a neutral mob closer to you before the one you want to hit. BUT, if you do nothing it does pick whatever's hitting you.

Both types of targeting were broken for a few years. I think they fixed it some time during WoD, maybe? :) It was mostly the tab-targeting that tried to pick enemies in another dimension.

> @"Mrs Q.4081" said:

> Dear Anet,

> There is no scenario where I would want to target a wall instead of the enemies who are attacking me.

> Yours Sincerely,

> Every player ever.

Unfortunately you are not correct. Istan Great Hall event if you dont target and hit the gate you lose two chests in tents to the right after gate is brought down. :(

> @"Warlord.9082" said:

> where it prioritizing yellow creatures over red ones...

indeed. if i to jormag and i press tab it’s targetting a moa at max range.

and if i get attacked by enemy’s and some are half hp and i press tab i always get new mobs with full hp.

Dont know if the game engine will support this idea, but a sort of fix would be a list of do not target these mobs such as Moas, jungle boars, pocket raptors etc , sort of the ignore list for players, which players could add too , so that the targeting system would ignore any of the critters on the list.

> @"Eme.2018" said:

>

>

> > @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> > Unfortunately, turning off auto-targeting doesn't turn off auto-targeting... that's just one more piece of GW2 functionality that is dysfunctional.

> How so?

>

>

I have one of my mouse buttons set to toggle auto-targeting, but also have turned it off the manual way. Yet I will still see my characters target trees, moas, etc. So it is apparent to me that, like so many other things, it's not reliable functionality.

I've only ever had issues with mirage on targetting things...and thats cus i have to turn around if the gap between first and second use of axe 2 is long enough and placed in such a way that i lose target. xP

100% of the time targetting works to target the closest enemy i'm facing in range when i try to use an attack, sometimes i attract trash mobs by spamming 1 when i don't need to because of that...:P

Auto-targeting mobs that are on different levels with solid floors/ceilings between you and them is perhaps the most ridiculous symptom of this failing system. When I do a key run, I invariably find myself targeting Big Nose Ted just after breaking down the orphanage door. Another example: in Caledon Forest, when I'm above the tunnels leading to the Spelunker's Delve JP, I 'll have trolls all around me, but I find myself targeting _fish_.

While we’re on the issue,

Can we **PLEASE** have the autotarget option ignore yellow creatures we’re not already in combat with?

I would pay serious gems for that update in case anet needs an incentive.

Im so tired of using skills for mobility and it instead targets a dolyak or firefly that was maybe not even onscreen next to me, or even behind me

> @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> > @"Eme.2018" said:

> >

> >

> > > @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> > > Unfortunately, turning off auto-targeting doesn't turn off auto-targeting... that's just one more piece of GW2 functionality that is dysfunctional.

> > How so?

> >

> >

> I have one of my mouse buttons set to toggle auto-targeting, but also have turned it off the manual way. Yet I will still see my characters target trees, moas, etc. So it is apparent to me that, like so many other things, it's not reliable functionality.

>

That is more likely due to having Right Click to Interact enabled which gives you a high chance of messing up your target while trying to move your camera.

> I have one of my mouse buttons set to toggle auto-targeting, but also have turned it off the manual way. Yet I will still see my characters target trees, moas, etc. So it is apparent to me that, like so many other things, it's not reliable functionality.

It doesn't matter if you have turned it off from the general options. If you have the **"Toggle Auto-Targeting" option** set to a key, it will be this that dictates if Auto-Targeting is on or off.

The key you have bound to **it** will actually Tick or Untick the general Auto-Targeting option.

You can check it by yourself, you just need to close and re-open the option menu for it to update.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> Auto-targeting mobs that are on different levels with solid floors/ceilings between you and them is perhaps the most ridiculous symptom of this failing system. When I do a key run, I invariably find myself targeting Big Nose Ted just after breaking down the orphanage door. Another example: in Caledon Forest, when I'm above the tunnels leading to the Spelunker's Delve JP, I 'll have trolls all around me, but I find myself targeting _fish_.

Same thing happens at the flax farm in Tangled Depths. Targets various creatures/ on a different level below with no line of sight instead of the wyvern that is is right in front of you.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Eme.2018" said:

> > >

> > >

> > > > @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> > > > Unfortunately, turning off auto-targeting doesn't turn off auto-targeting... that's just one more piece of GW2 functionality that is dysfunctional.

> > > How so?

> > >

> > >

> > I have one of my mouse buttons set to toggle auto-targeting, but also have turned it off the manual way. Yet I will still see my characters target trees, moas, etc. So it is apparent to me that, like so many other things, it's not reliable functionality.

> >

>

> That is more likely due to having Right Click to Interact enabled which gives you a high chance of messing up your target while trying to move your camera.

Nope, not even close. Guess again. I use MB4 and MB5 for auto-run and auto-target.

> @"Eme.2018" said:

> > I have one of my mouse buttons set to toggle auto-targeting, but also have turned it off the manual way. Yet I will still see my characters target trees, moas, etc. So it is apparent to me that, like so many other things, it's not reliable functionality.

>

>

> It doesn't matter if you have turned it off from the general options. If you have the **"Toggle Auto-Targeting" option** set to a key, it will be this that dictates if Auto-Targeting is on or off.

>

> The key you have bound to **it** will actually Tick or Untick the general Auto-Targeting option.

> You can check it by yourself, you just need to close and re-open the option menu for it to update.

>

>

Have done that, multiple times, but guess what? Ticked or Un-ticked, the game still likes to arbitrarily change the settings and lots of moa's, boars, doors, and trees have been summarily executed for the minor crimes of existing. Most commonly, this occurs while some other fight is going on, but it also occurs when my characters haven't even been in combat and they're just going from point A to point B.

> Have done that, multiple times, but guess what? Ticked or Un-ticked, the game still likes to arbitrarily change the settings and lots of moa's, boars, doors, and trees have been summarily executed for the minor crimes of existing. Most commonly, this occurs while some other fight is going on, but it also occurs when my characters haven't even been in combat and they're just going from point A to point B.

I sincerely doubt that. Never had problems with the auto-targeting. My guess would be that since you have the toggle option bound to one of your mouse buttons, you must be pressing it and turning it off and on by mistake. Unbound the toggle option and you will see there is not a problem with turning off auto-targeting.

Edit: Also, you have done what multiple times?

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> > A bigger issue to me is the controls though. Who thought we like to be in model preview view all the time and swing the camera around the char making it hard to find where our cursor is, instead rather than looking through the chars PoV like is the case with almost every other third/first person game?

>

> In case you don't know, if you zoom in far enough you get a first person view from your character.

This still doesnt make it behave like a fps. Youre just closer in on the action, exactly what you dont want with a tab targeting game. You still move the cursor around rather than a targetting reticule in the centre of the screen which is what Im talking about. I know about action cam view btw, I thought originally thats what youre talking about but that view is extremely tempormental and some of the time it still prefers to swivel the camera around the player rather than move the PoV around.