Living World Season 3 Complete pack Dicount Question.

The discount is for the package, not for each episode. Now the price doesn’t get adjusted properly. I only have 1 episode unlocked. The original price for the entire pack is 1200gems and the package now is on sale for 48% less. Usually the sale should count from 1000 gems because I own 1 episode already right? However the price doesn’t adjust on that. Which means even though you have several episodes already you don’t get further discount on that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Nash.3974" said:

> The discount is for the package, not for each episode. Now the price doesn’t get adjusted properly. I only have 1 episode unlocked. The original price for the entire pack is 1200gems and the package now is on sale for 48% less. Usually the sale should count from 1000 gems because I own 1 episode already right? However the price doesn’t adjust on that. Which means even though you have several episodes already you don’t get further discount on that.

Season 3 is 1200 gems at full price but selling for 960 gems as a package. Each episode unlock reduces the price by 160 gems so that puts you at 800 gems. Add in that 20% discount mentioned and it puts it at 640 gems. The difference between that and the 1200 gems is 47%. I’m not sure why it’s showing 1% more for you.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > And it would be great to get the episodes free regardless of login time. To me that never made sense.

>

> You're aware that a Living World season is full-fledged content, thus providing it to the loyal base of frequent players is merely a nice bonus? They didn't have to make it free to anyone in the first place. ANet is a company, and they need to make money in order to survive, no?

One can argue it be even better just to charge for it then. Then players who get it later dont feel ripped off that they didnt get it during the free period. Thats how I rather they handle it, only if they did that for it to remain f2p, either the maps are not profitable to farm OR the maps are available to every player.

Other mmos who handle expansions like "FREE CONTENT" also have a microtranaction model like PoE and Black Dersert Online. These are titles GW2 is trying to compete against so to be more costlier than the alternative might hurt them.

The system seems to auto-calculate (for this package of 6 episodes) existing owned episodes as 'discounts' off of the package price, which is misleading and is most probably an oversight. I am assuming this is an oversight given anet's marketing style and culture which tends not to be deceptive, AFAIK in the 13 months I've played this game

The true and intended discount, as announced on the website (delayed probably due to working hours) is 20% compound off of the package price (which normally has a 20% discount)

You have this limited period to get each episode at 36% off of the base price of 200 gems , take it or leave it.

(and hopefully they fix this oversight eventually. I am 95% definite this is a not-very-important mistake, that most people wouldnt bother about with normally.)

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

> > > >

> > > > The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

> > > >

> > > > The progression of the price is:

> > > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

> > > > * 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > > >

> > > > OR it is:

> > > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > > > * 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

> > > >

> > > > The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

> > > >

> > > > So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

> > >

> > > If I buy a season for 500 gems when it costs 1,000 gems, and it’s because I already own half the episodes, I’m saving 50% on that gem store item.

> >

> > (CAVEAT: what follows in the next paragraph assumes a season of six episodes.)

> >

> > I would dispute that definition of "saving 50%", because you're not paying less for the same thing (six episodes). Instead, they are giving you the same price-per-episode for just three. Well, maybe you are *saving* that 50%, but it *isn't* a discount. And even if it is, there are effectively two discounts in @"eldrjth.7384"'s case, and it's confusing to fuse them into one.

> >

> > Ultimately, though, I think that what I said right there goes to the very heart of the issue: it is confusing to show all the discounts fused into one. For reference, one is the sale price discount (20%), one is the "already owned some" discount (50%), and one (it appears) is a 'buying whole season" discount (20%). This fusion is what brought the OP to the conclusion that something was up: it *looks* like a single 68% sale-price discount accompanied by some words that suggest that this will be further reduced by the fraction of already-owned episodes. Nothing in the image posted by @"eldrjth.7384" explains that the price shown *already* includes all three parts of the fused discount, especially the "already owned some".

>

> It’s a discount as it’s a reduction in price to that particular gemstore item. A discount isn’t necessary an indication of a sale.

>

> There is a large difference between a single item (season unlock) and multiple items (season episodes). Each could have different discount percentage.

>

> Edit: Not to divert to semantics but

>

> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discount

>

> Someone that sees only 36% listed will be confused when the price that they see is not 36% of the full price. They’ll be further confused when the price they see is different from the price they see when they try to buy it. Anet is simply fully disclosing how much of a discount players are getting when they purchase the season unlock item(s).

>

> What people need to realize the the season unlock item(s) and the episodes you can purchase individually are not the same thing. The episodes themselves have the reported 36% discount. Since the season unlock is a package deal, it includes other discounts such as for episodes that are already owned.

Either way, there isn't ONE discount, but THREE, fused into one percentage, and then accompanied by wording that suggests that one of the discounts *isn't* included in that one percentage.

EDIT: The three discounts, just to make sure we all talk about the same thing:

* The whole-season bundle discount.

* The sale discount.

* The partially-owned-season discount. (X)

The one marked X is ambiguously implied by the wording in @"eldrjth.7384"'s image as NOT included in the merged percentage discount.

I'm sorry but i'm lost by this as well. I want to buy this for my wife.

I paid 960gems for it and on the wiki it say that it is 960gems

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack

960 - 36% = 614

but in the store it says that its

1200 - 36% = 768 correct but its not 1200 to begin with.

I don't mind paying the extra, it's a discount either way but the math doesn't add up for me or the explanations on here, in relation to a complete pack.

What am i missing?

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

> > > > >

> > > > > The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

> > > > >

> > > > > The progression of the price is:

> > > > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

> > > > > * 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > > > >

> > > > > OR it is:

> > > > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > > > > * 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

> > > > >

> > > > > The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

> > > > >

> > > > > So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

> > > >

> > > > If I buy a season for 500 gems when it costs 1,000 gems, and it’s because I already own half the episodes, I’m saving 50% on that gem store item.

> > >

> > > (CAVEAT: what follows in the next paragraph assumes a season of six episodes.)

> > >

> > > I would dispute that definition of "saving 50%", because you're not paying less for the same thing (six episodes). Instead, they are giving you the same price-per-episode for just three. Well, maybe you are *saving* that 50%, but it *isn't* a discount. And even if it is, there are effectively two discounts in @"eldrjth.7384"'s case, and it's confusing to fuse them into one.

> > >

> > > Ultimately, though, I think that what I said right there goes to the very heart of the issue: it is confusing to show all the discounts fused into one. For reference, one is the sale price discount (20%), one is the "already owned some" discount (50%), and one (it appears) is a 'buying whole season" discount (20%). This fusion is what brought the OP to the conclusion that something was up: it *looks* like a single 68% sale-price discount accompanied by some words that suggest that this will be further reduced by the fraction of already-owned episodes. Nothing in the image posted by @"eldrjth.7384" explains that the price shown *already* includes all three parts of the fused discount, especially the "already owned some".

> >

> > It’s a discount as it’s a reduction in price to that particular gemstore item. A discount isn’t necessary an indication of a sale.

> >

> > There is a large difference between a single item (season unlock) and multiple items (season episodes). Each could have different discount percentage.

> >

> > Edit: Not to divert to semantics but

> >

> > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discount

> >

> > Someone that sees only 36% listed will be confused when the price that they see is not 36% of the full price. They’ll be further confused when the price they see is different from the price they see when they try to buy it. Anet is simply fully disclosing how much of a discount players are getting when they purchase the season unlock item(s).

> >

> > What people need to realize the the season unlock item(s) and the episodes you can purchase individually are not the same thing. The episodes themselves have the reported 36% discount. Since the season unlock is a package deal, it includes other discounts such as for episodes that are already owned.

>

> Either way, there isn't ONE discount, but THREE, fused into one percentage, and then accompanied by wording that suggests that one of the discounts *isn't* included in that one percentage.

>

> EDIT: The three discounts, just to make sure we all talk about the same thing:

> * The whole-season bundle discount.

> * The sale discount.

> * The partially-owned-season discount. (X)

>

> The one marked X is ambiguously implied by the wording in @"eldrjth.7384"'s image as NOT included in the merged percentage discount.

Whether it’s a single discount applied or multiple doesn’t matter. The season unlock is a **SINGLE** gemstore item. The percentage shown is representative of what how much of a discount players are receiving.

All of my accounts have LS3 unlocked so I can’t get a screenshot of it but below is what it shows for LS2.

https://imgur.com/bX98EPl

It’s pretty transparent that the already unlocked episodes have already been used to discount the season unlock item.

Have 36% listed is misleading as the item is not being discounted by 36%. Also, having a price show in that window, and a different price show up when they’re buying it, will not settle well with players. It’s better to be upfront with what the actual cost and discount is which is exactly what Anet has done.

The issue here is that some people are failing to understand that the season unlock is a single item in the gemstore. Any discount percentage shown for it would be for everything that affects its price. Just like if Anet were to individually sell each episode in the gemstore, the discount percentage shown there would include all discounts has a single percentage.

> @"MattDu.7123" said:

> I'm sorry but i'm lost by this as well. I want to buy this for my wife.

>

> I paid 960gems for it and on the wiki it say that it is 960gems

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack

>

> 960 - 36% = 614

>

> but in the store it says that its

> 1200 - 36% = 768 correct but its not 1200 to begin with.

>

> I don't mind paying the extra, it's a discount either way but the math doesn't add up to me or the explanations on here.

> What am i missing?

1200 gems is the full price as each episode sells for 200 gems when bought individually. The season unlock for that season is discounted to 960 so players receive a discount for just buying them altogether. On top of that, another discount is added for each episode that you currently have unlocked (160 gems per episode). It also appears that there’s a third discount of 20% people applied after that.

The discount shown in the gem store is the cumulative discount received off the full price which in this case is 1200 gems.

I understand that if you were to buy them individually they would be 200 each(something the original poster didn't understand) _but it says 36% off the complete pack_, not off individually episodes.

Which would be 960Gems for the complete pack and it says 36% off but in reality it is 20% off the complete pack.

_There has always been a 20% incentive to get you to buy them all together instead of individually_

The sale off individual ones is 36% off

The sale off buying as a complete pack is 20% off

I don't mind paying the extra, it's a discount either way, but it doesn't make it clearly that you will only get the full discount off them if you buy them individually.

Happy with the sale I'm just pointing out that the wording is wrong

> @"MattDu.7123" said:

> I understand that if you were to buy them individually they would be 200 each(something the original poster didn't understand) _but it says 36% off the complete pack_, not off individually episodes.

> Which would be 960Gems for the complete pack and it says 36% off but in reality it is 20% off the complete pack.

>

> _There has always been a 20% incentive to get you to buy them all together instead of individually_

> The sale off individual ones is 36% off

> The sale off buying as a complete pack is 20% off

>

> I don't mind paying the extra, it's a discount either way, but it doesn't make it clearly that you will only get the full discount off them if you buy them individually.

> Happy with the sale I'm just pointing out that the wording is wrong

>

Are you still able to take a screenshot of how it looks in the store and what the tooltip looks like when you hover over it?

![](http://i67.tinypic.com/33kwyyr.jpg "")

Never posted a picture to a forum,hope I've done this right

I know someone is going to point out that it is 768 for 6 individual episode and 768 for a complete pack but you dont go to the supermarket and by multipack because they come in the same bag, its because they give you a buy more get it cheaper as an incentive. Otherwise they wouldnt have giant writing on the side saying Multipack item - not to be sold separately

If the picture didn't work, I'll be buying it for her either way before it expires, still a good price just advertised wrong.

Thank you for sharing. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t showing something different from what the season 2 unlock was showing for me.

It originally sells for 1200 and there’s the initial 20% discount for buying the episodes together in that package. This brings it to 960. Since you don’t have any of the episodes already unlocked, there’s no discount from that. Lastly, there’s that additional discount of 20% which is calculated off the 960. This is where the 768 gems comes from. The 36% discount is based off of the difference between the 768 and 1200 price points.

The part that was confusing you is that the extra 20% off discount is multiplicative rather than additive. It’s applied on the balance at the end kind of like how sales taxes are figured but it has the reverse effect in this case.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Thank you for sharing. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t showing something different from what the season 2 unlock was showing for me.

>

> It originally sells for 1200 and there’s the initial 20% discount for buying the episodes together in that package. This brings it to 960. Since you don’t have any of the episodes already unlocked, there’s no discount from that. Lastly, there’s that additional discount of 20% which is calculated off the 960. This is where the 768 gems comes from. The 36% discount is based off of the difference between the 768 and 1200 price points.

>

> The part that was confusing you is that the extra 20% off discount is multiplicative rather than additive. It’s applied on the balance at the end kind of like how sales taxes are figured but it has the reverse effect in this case.

Its not confusing me its worded wrong

If you go to the supermarket and there a 10% off on all coke today, they dont say sorry but the 30 multipack already had 10% off so you will have to pay the same as buying them individually. Ask yourself this `When there is no sale on Season 3, why is the complete pack cheaper than buying it individually?`

> @"MattDu.7123" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Thank you for sharing. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t showing something different from what the season 2 unlock was showing for me.

> >

> > It originally sells for 1200 and there’s the initial 20% discount for buying the episodes together in that package. This brings it to 960. Since you don’t have any of the episodes already unlocked, there’s no discount from that. Lastly, there’s that additional discount of 20% which is calculated off the 960. This is where the 768 gems comes from. The 36% discount is based off of the difference between the 768 and 1200 price points.

> >

> > The part that was confusing you is that the extra 20% off discount is multiplicative rather than additive. It’s applied on the balance at the end kind of like how sales taxes are figured but it has the reverse effect in this case.

>

> Its not confusing me its worded wrong

>

> If you go to the supermarket and there a 10% off on all coke today, they dont say sorry but the 30 multipack already had 10% off so you will have to pay the same as buying them individually. Ask yourself this `When there is no sale on Season 3, why is the complete pack cheaper than buying it individually?`

>

Same reason that buying a value meal at McDonald’s is cheaper than buying all of the items individually. In the case of the game, it’s to incentivize players to buy all of the episodes rather than individual ones.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"MattDu.7123" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > Thank you for sharing. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t showing something different from what the season 2 unlock was showing for me.

> > >

> > > It originally sells for 1200 and there’s the initial 20% discount for buying the episodes together in that package. This brings it to 960. Since you don’t have any of the episodes already unlocked, there’s no discount from that. Lastly, there’s that additional discount of 20% which is calculated off the 960. This is where the 768 gems comes from. The 36% discount is based off of the difference between the 768 and 1200 price points.

> > >

> > > The part that was confusing you is that the extra 20% off discount is multiplicative rather than additive. It’s applied on the balance at the end kind of like how sales taxes are figured but it has the reverse effect in this case.

> >

> > Its not confusing me its worded wrong

> >

> > If you go to the supermarket and there a 10% off on all coke today, they dont say sorry but the 30 multipack already had 10% off so you will have to pay the same as buying them individually. Ask yourself this `When there is no sale on Season 3, why is the complete pack cheaper than buying it individually?`

> >

>

> Same reason that buying a value meal at McDonald’s is cheaper than buying all of the items individually. In the case of the game, it’s to incentivize players to buy all of the episodes rather than individual ones.

So we agree it's cheaper to buy a complete pack than to buy 6 individual episodes from Season 3.

Then why is 6 individual episodes in the sale 768gems but the complete pack 768gems. That makes them the same price not cheaper.

And please please dont say it sould be the same price when you have just agreed it should be cheaper

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> You can't buy individual Episodes through the Gem Store, only through the Story Journal. How much does the Story Journal indicate an individual Episode would cost? 200 Gems? 200 Gems less the 20% discount offered right now?

>

> I can't check as I have all Episodes unlocked (at no cost).

I don't have HoT on my alt account, so I can't check season 3's cost. But season 2 is 200 gems per episode if bought individually and 1024 ("36% off" of 1600) if bought as a bundle (for all 8 episodes).

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > You can't buy individual Episodes through the Gem Store, only through the Story Journal. How much does the Story Journal indicate an individual Episode would cost? 200 Gems? 200 Gems less the 20% discount offered right now?

> >

> > I can't check as I have all Episodes unlocked (at no cost).

>

> I don't have HoT on my alt account, so I can't check season 3's cost. But season 2 is 200 gems per episode if bought individually and 1024 ("36% off" of 1600) if bought as a bundle (for all 8 episodes).

Season 2 bought as a bundle 1280 before sale. 1280-36%=819. So the sale is not 36% of the bundle price but of the individual price

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack

> You can't buy individual Episodes through the Gem Store, only through the Story Journal. How much does the Story Journal indicate an individual Episode would cost? 200 Gems? 200 Gems less the 20% discount offered right now?

>

> I can't check as I have all Episodes unlocked (at no cost).

Its 36% off the complete pack. The complete pack is 960 Gems

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack

1200 Gems is the individual price not the bundle price. The bundle price is 960 Gems

1200 Gems is the price if you bought them from the Story Journal but as you pointed out you can not buy them for 1200 Gems from the store you can only buy them for 960 Gems.

So if its a gem store sale and the sale is for 36% off the complete pack and from the gem store you can only buy the complete pack for 960 Gems. 960 minus 36% doesnt come to 768Gems.

Still a good price and I just purchased if for the wife but for 20% less then the compete pack price not 36%

> Just clarifying that buying through the Gem Store as a bundle package, regardless of the current discount, is cheaper than buying Episodes individually.

>

> _"Then why is 6 individual episodes in the sale 768gems but the complete pack 768gems. That makes them the same price not cheaper."_

>

>

If you can't see the difference between 20% off and 36% off. Do you want to buy a car?

> @"MattDu.7123" said:

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > You can't buy individual Episodes through the Gem Store, only through the Story Journal. How much does the Story Journal indicate an individual Episode would cost? 200 Gems? 200 Gems less the 20% discount offered right now?

> > >

> > > I can't check as I have all Episodes unlocked (at no cost).

> >

> > I don't have HoT on my alt account, so I can't check season 3's cost. But season 2 is 200 gems per episode if bought individually and 1024 ("36% off" of 1600) if bought as a bundle (for all 8 episodes).

>

> Season 2 bought as a bundle 1280 before sale. 1280-36%=819. So the sale is not 36% of the bundle price but of the individual price

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack

>

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > You can't buy individual Episodes through the Gem Store, only through the Story Journal. How much does the Story Journal indicate an individual Episode would cost? 200 Gems? 200 Gems less the 20% discount offered right now?

> >

> > I can't check as I have all Episodes unlocked (at no cost).

>

> Its 36% off the complete pack. The complete pack is 960 Gems

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack

> 1200 Gems is the individual price not the bundle price. The bundle price is 960 Gems

> 1200 Gems is the price if you bought them from the Story Journal but as you pointed out you can not buy them for 1200 Gems from the store you can only buy them for 960 Gems.

> So if its a gem store sale and the sale is for 36% off the complete pack and from the gem store you can only buy the complete pack for 960 Gems. 960 minus 36% doesnt come to 768Gems.

>

> Still a good price and I just purchased if for the wife but for 20% less then the compete pack price not 36%

The complete set, which is the season unlock, is 1200 gems. Just because it’s automatically discounted to 960, that doesn’t change.

> If you were not aware, Gem Store prices for discounts are always taken off the price of individual items, even if said items are not available individually. It's not just Living World Season Episodes.

It’s illegal in many states and in most countries in europe to claim to offer a discount on products which have rarely, if ever, been offered at the higher price claimed.

It has as far as I am aware never been advertised in the Gems store for 1200Gems for the complete pack. Just because thats the way they have alway done it doesn't make it right.

I'll put it another way if they held a massive sale advertising that they were having a big 20% off sale on the Season 3 complete pack would it be misleading advertising. Because then there would be no differences in the price, than it has always been advertised.