Automatic mount on water

Hi there.

To select a mount while being in the water is totally unnecessary, because there is only one mount that can be used on it.

So would it be possible to allow players to mount automatically the skimmer by pressing 'x' while exploring on water?

It would help a lot saving time, one one is being late to get nearby events for example.

Thanks.

> @"zidane.5194" said:

> I know this may sound stupid...but...how do you key bind each mount? I did not know that was possible.

In game, go to _settings_, then _controls_.

Scroll down until you find the mounts section and choose some keys which will activate each specific mount.

My personal settings are : Shift+Q/W/E/R summons Raptor/Springer/Skimmer/Jackal while _X_ stays as the generic mount key and is used for Griffon.

Each to their own, I'm sure there are more efficient configurations.

Good luck.

> @"amrthlessar.3958" said:

> Hi there.

> To select a mount while being in the water is totally unnecessary, because there is only one mount that can be used on it.

> So would it be possible to allow players to mount automatically the skimmer by pressing 'x' while exploring on water?

> It would help a lot saving time, one one is being late to get nearby events for example.

> Thanks.

You can use the Numpad keys 1-5 for each mount. That's just what I use for the mounts.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> Same for griffon in the air, it should be possible to make the mount button use skimmer automatically when the player is in "swimming on the surface", and mount the griffon when in "falling in the air" mode without having to use their specific mount keys.

definitely not for griffon- gliding in HoT + a lot of ls3 map stuff is achieved by part glide part fall.

EDIT: perhaps as an option in settings though, but automatically turned off (and thus needs to be checked to turn on)?

> @"Lexi.1398" said:

> > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > Same for griffon in the air, it should be possible to make the mount button use skimmer automatically when the player is in "swimming on the surface", and mount the griffon when in "falling in the air" mode without having to use their specific mount keys.

>

> definitely not for griffon- gliding in HoT + a lot of ls3 map stuff is achieved by part glide part fall.

> EDIT: perhaps as an option in settings though, but automatically turned off (and thus needs to be checked to turn on)?

You are not getting what OP asks here.

They are not asking for automatic mounting, but to automatically change the mount that would be used based on context regardless of the currently selected mount in the mount skill slot.

So using the mount skill on the surface of water would always mount skimmer, and using the mount skill while falling in the air would mount griffon, without having to use specific mount keys or change the current mount.

That would definitely not affect gliding absolutely at all in any way whatsoever.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > @"Lexi.1398" said:

> > > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > > Same for griffon in the air, it should be possible to make the mount button use skimmer automatically when the player is in "swimming on the surface", and mount the griffon when in "falling in the air" mode without having to use their specific mount keys.

> >

> > definitely not for griffon- gliding in HoT + a lot of ls3 map stuff is achieved by part glide part fall.

> > EDIT: perhaps as an option in settings though, but automatically turned off (and thus needs to be checked to turn on)?

>

> You are not getting what OP asks here.

>

> They are not asking for automatic mounting, but to automatically change the mount that would be used based on context regardless of the currently selected mount in the mount skill slot.

> So using the mount skill on the surface of water would always mount skimmer, and using the mount skill while falling in the air would mount griffon, without having to use specific mount keys or change the current mount.

>

> That would definitely not affect gliding absolutely at all in any way whatsoever.

This seems clunky and unnecessary.

* Firstly, you can't activate any mount in mid air apart from Griffon (it's in the Griffon mastery track).

* Secondly that would mean creating rules for areas separating where land, water or air start/end. These rules would for mounts only but seems like a waste of resource.

* Thirdly, what's the default for land? all mounts are able to travel across this terrain.

All in all, keybinding was created for ease of access for mounts. I feel players should be more into active play rather than automatic mount selection - sounds like more passive mechanics.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> You'd have to dismount every time it popped up and you want to swim. You'd also switch from whatever you're on to skimmer just because you pass over water. No.

Just as written above, the suggestion is *not* "Automatically mount Skimmer when entering water". It's **"Make the 'Mount' keybind activate Skimmer while on water regardless of selected mount."**

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > @"Lexi.1398" said:

> > > > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > > > Same for griffon in the air, it should be possible to make the mount button use skimmer automatically when the player is in "swimming on the surface", and mount the griffon when in "falling in the air" mode without having to use their specific mount keys.

> > >

> > > definitely not for griffon- gliding in HoT + a lot of ls3 map stuff is achieved by part glide part fall.

> > > EDIT: perhaps as an option in settings though, but automatically turned off (and thus needs to be checked to turn on)?

> >

> > You are not getting what OP asks here.

> >

> > They are not asking for automatic mounting, but to automatically change the mount that would be used based on context regardless of the currently selected mount in the mount skill slot.

> > So using the mount skill on the surface of water would always mount skimmer, and using the mount skill while falling in the air would mount griffon, without having to use specific mount keys or change the current mount.

> >

> > That would definitely not affect gliding absolutely at all in any way whatsoever.

>

> This seems clunky and unnecessary.

> * Firstly, you can't activate any mount in mid air apart from Griffon (it's in the Griffon mastery track).

> * Secondly that would mean creating rules for areas separating where land, water or air start/end. These rules would for mounts only but seems like a waste of resource.

> * Thirdly, what's the default for land? all mounts are able to travel across this terrain.

>

> All in all, keybinding was created for ease of access for mounts. I feel players should be more into active play rather than automatic mount selection - sounds like more passive mechanics.

(1) Yes, only griffon can be mounted midair, so the request is that your default mount skill ignores the default mount selection midair and just summons griffon regardless. (Or summons Skimmer when swimming)

(2) There already are rules for air/land/water. You can't deploy a glider unless you're in the air. Skimmers move faster even over the shallowest of water, and all mounts are dispelled when travelling over any water deep enough to require swimming. So these boundaries exist.

(3) The default for land would be your default mount, as it is now.

Yes, specific mount keybinds solves this issue. But clearly the OP was not aware of them before now. So this would be a QoL upgrade for people who are also unaware that ANet added new keybind options with PoF.

> @"JDub.1530" said:

> Yes, specific mount keybinds solves this issue. But clearly the OP was not aware of them before now. So this would be a QoL upgrade for people who are also unaware that ANet added new keybind options with PoF.

Surely the solution is really for people to "discover" keybinding options rather than give them an underlying system which makes choices for them.

Like I said, I'm not in favor of automating more processes and this general idea is further perpetuating a more passive gamplay.

I'd be surprised if devs implemented this.

> > > @"Lexi.1398" said:

> > > > @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> > > > Same for griffon in the air, it should be possible to make the mount button use skimmer automatically when the player is in "swimming on the surface", and mount the griffon when in "falling in the air" mode without having to use their specific mount keys.

> > >

> > > definitely not for griffon- gliding in HoT + a lot of ls3 map stuff is achieved by part glide part fall.

> > > EDIT: perhaps as an option in settings though, but automatically turned off (and thus needs to be checked to turn on)?

> >

> > You are not getting what OP asks here.

> >

> > They are not asking for automatic mounting, but to automatically change the mount that would be used based on context regardless of the currently selected mount in the mount skill slot.

> > So using the mount skill on the surface of water would always mount skimmer, and using the mount skill while falling in the air would mount griffon, without having to use specific mount keys or change the current mount.

> >

> > That would definitely not affect gliding absolutely at all in any way whatsoever.

>

> This seems clunky and unnecessary.

> * Firstly, you can't activate any mount in mid air apart from Griffon (it's in the Griffon mastery track).

> * Secondly that would mean creating rules for areas separating where land, water or air start/end. These rules would for mounts only but seems like a waste of resource.

> * Thirdly, what's the default for land? all mounts are able to travel across this terrain.

>

> All in all, keybinding was created for ease of access for mounts. I feel players should be more into active play rather than automatic mount selection - sounds like more passive mechanics.

* That's the whole point. You can't mount anything but griffon in the air. But if the griffon is not selected, you will not mount in the air with the default mount button. You have to pre-select the griffon, or use the mount griffon key. With this change, using the mount key in the air would alwaus mount griffon regardless of what mount was selected.

* Not at all. Those rules already exist. Characters already change stances between "walking on the ground", "swimming on the surface", "swimming underwater" and "falling". You know those alredy exists because your character animations change. The only way characters animations could change depending on where you are is if the server and client can tell where you are, which it can.

* There would be no default on lad. Whatever is selected will be used. Context mounting would only affect movement stances in which no other mount can be used. We can only mount skimmer when we are on the surface of the water, we can only mount griffon when we are falling.

> > @"JDub.1530" said:

> > Yes, specific mount keybinds solves this issue. But clearly the OP was not aware of them before now. So this would be a QoL upgrade for people who are also unaware that ANet added new keybind options with PoF.

>

> Surely the solution is really for people to "discover" keybinding options rather than give them an underlying system which makes choices for them.

> Like I said, I'm not in favor of automating more processes and this general idea is further perpetuating a more passive gamplay.

> I'd be surprised if devs implemented this.

I'm not sure browsing the keybinds is a pastime most people even think to do--unless they're new to the game. No, I doubt the devs will implement this, but I'd hardly call it passive gameplay. It's Quality of Life. Just like automatic dismounts when you interact with something (although, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to talk to NPCs while sitting tall on the back of my Raptor. I'm the Hero of Shaemoor _dagnabbit!_)