Do we really need 9 new elite specs each expansion?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New elites add more game play variety. They also allow you to reply old content in a brand new style. They provide way more content than anything else added with an expansion.

Though the devs could do an expansion with new weapons without adding new elites. This can possibly have similar success with less complixety.

All I know is, if the next expansion came out and some of classes got new, cool elite specs and the class I was currently playing got nothing at all, I would be very upset at the unfairness of that. Even if the elite spec is lackluster or it's just something I wouldn't personally care to use, either they all get it or none do. No picking favorites. The spec changes and flavor are a lot of what's fun about getting the expansion.

> @"Gomes.5643" said:

> > @"Assic.2746" said:

> > > @"Gomes.5643" said:

> > > While I voted Yes, I also think that first all core classes should be made more equal for the number of usable weapons. Currently there is a huge cap between them.

> >

> > That would be hard since warrior can use every weapon except shortbow and staff.

>

> Thats why I said more equal. Even if we exclude eles and warriors for example the revenant has 10 weaponsskills less than the guardian and the mesmer 6. Thats more then a full 2 handed weapon.

But to be fair, many of their utility skills do things weapon skills do for other classes, and visaversa. In theory, Revenants don't need to include a wide range of skills into one build, because they are capable of carrying 2 distinct builds at any given time. Its an inversion of the Elementalist's use of Weapon skills, where Ele weapons are the grunt work, and utilities are more like actual "utilities" to support it. Thats what gives Eles the level of flexibility in combat posture that other classes usually need to take in combination with utilities to gain.

However, since Revenants were meant to carry two builds, each build line couldn't be as flexible. Ele gets that limit from their lack of weapon swap, and stronger weapon themes. Revs get it by having (supposedly) stronger utilities, while their original single weapon set defined how they approached engagements. But they built that theme a little too focused, as the need for Weapon, Traits and Legend to be all be in sync turned the legend swap into a disruption. Hindsight being 20/20.... had each Rev Spec line and Legend had intended compatibility with 2 weapons (by theme, damage or utility), then Rev could had been designed as a Matrix of complimenting Legends. Not only would that be a lot closer to how other classes do build craft, slotting in Especs would be a lot easier to figure out and make use of. Right now, pretty much every combat build runs Shiro, because its the only legend that "does combat". Salvation/Ventari are almost never taken except for the bubble and alacrity, because middling healing isn't useful in 90% of situations.

Come to think of it.... I think the many of the problems with Rev stems from the situational design being meant to be a direct translation of Raid mechanics, and the Rev meant to run a build specific to each Raid segment.

Maybe? What I'd really like to see are new elite specs that enhance the core class gameplay instead of obliterating it. You know, ranger elite skills that are ranger-y, guardian skills that feel more tanky, etc. Soulbeast and druid feel nothing like the ranger, firebrand is completely different than the guardian I grew to love. Scourge feels at least a little necro-y, but deadeye feels extremely alien after leveling a thief.

I'm not sure I can name an MMO that didnt add something new for character abilities, or new classes, or something, each expansion. Of course, I haven't played every MMO. But still, added character options OR classes OR something is the name of the game in most MMOs, so yeah, they kinda DO need them, unless they can find another way to expand character options.

I much rather they completely remake the trait system [so traitlines like MARKSMANSHIP doesn't have exactly 2 traits based on your ranged weapons [and one of those traits only exists since like November], but yeah, they need elite specs every expansion.

Now if only they could balance them a bit better.

What the game needs is both - Balance and new Specs over time.

However, it should be clear to everybody, that it is not good to give this game too much E-Specs. Maximum 5 per Class, everything above that number is way too much.

But even more than new Specs does this Game need Class Redesigns, cause all of the Classes of this game have issues, that are 6 years old and still got not fixed until today, which is very sad. Most of all Classes of this Game would be much better, if Anet would just merge aspects of the current two E-Specs per Class into the Core Classes to fix them and replace the merged Specs with new Specs that aren't just simple sidegrades of the Core Class, but in fact actually really Specializations, which completely change the Gameplay of the Core Class to something different...

After doing that I'd give each Class maximum 3 Specs and be done with it and look for different ways to give Classes more build diversity, instead of pumping the game full with only more and more E-Specs.

* Warrior with Berserker and Spellbreaker would I redesign into Warrior with Torch baseline and Greatsword being Berserker's Weapon as Spec + Legionnaire as second Spec, finally as third and last Spec then the Brawler which fights with a Staff/ Gauntlets/Weaponless (skin).

* Guardian with Dragonhunter and Firebrand would I redesign into Guardian, with the Specs Patron (basicaly Paragon 2.0 but with better name), Warden (renamed Firebrand) and Inquisitor (renamed and redesigned Dragonhunter)

* Revenant with Herold and Renegade would I completely redesign into a different Class as Vagabonds, with the Specs Mercenary, Renegade and Templars to let them be basically the dark version of the Guardian and its more light based specs... turning Rytlock into the PVE story based ONLY Revenant, that should exist only and makes sense.

* Engineer with Scrapper & Holosmith would I redesign with Engineer having some parts of the former specs absorbed and the new Specs Alchemist, Saboteur which absorbs some parts of Scrapper & Technomancer which absorbs also some parts of Holosmith.

* Thief with Deadeye and Daredevil would I redesign as Rogues, with its the specs being then Infiltrator, Assassin and Dervish (Daredevil renamed/redesign)

* Rangers with Druids and Soulbeast woudl I redesign as Ranger, with the Specs being Druid, Hunter and Shaman.

* Necromancers with Scourges and Reapers would I redediens as Necromancers with the 3 Specs of Ritualist, Witcher & Reaper.

* Elementalists with Tempests and Weavers would I redesign as Elementalists with the 3 Specs Summoner, Arcanist (Renamed Weavers with absorbed Tempest elements) and Spellslinger

* Mesmers with Chronomancers and Mirage woudl I redesign as Mesmers with the 3 Specs Chronomancer, Dreamcatcher and Minstrel.

As a difference to the current Elite Specs would I let each Spec not give 1 additional, but instead 2 additional Weapons as a little compensation for putting a limit to specs to maximum 3.

Berserker = Greatsword & Greataxe

Legionnaire = Greatshield & Focus

Brawler = Staff & Gauntlets

///

Patron = Warhorn & Greatshield

Warden = Axe & Greataxe

Inquisitor = Longbow & Daggers

///

Mercenary = Greatsword & Dagger

Renegade = Longbow & Pistols

Templar = Greatshield & Focus

///

Alchemist = Axes & Whip

Saboteur = Hammer & Torch

Technomancer = Staff & Sword

///

Infiltrator = Whip & Longbow

Assassin = Chakram & Gauntlets

Dervish = Staff & Axes

///

Ritualist = Torch & Gauntlets

Witcher = Swords & Maces

Reaper = Greatsword & Whip

///

Summoner = Warhorn & Gauntlets

Arcanist = Swords & Shield

Spellslinger = Longbow & Chakram

I wish we even had 9 elite specs per expansion.

The game is **so** overcrowded design-wise with skills, traits, weapon-skills, runes, sigils and item-stats, so many millions of combinations, that few ideas are actually meaningful. Most end up being forgotten or don't conceptually change the class at all. Notice how for all their raw power, the give-up-personal-defense-for-group-support ( :joy: ) Scourge is **still** just a condi DPS, as Necro was before. They could have just added a handful of new skills to the existing class for the same effect, nothing about them changed to a significant degree.

Unless ANet can find time to **seriously** unclog the game's combat system by removing a massive amount of traits and stats from the game, and probably removing at least sigils and runes whole (I'd also remove either itemstats or traits entirely, I'd keep the traitlines which themselves add 2-5 passive effects each), and remove a **ton** of effects from each skill so they don't all do 3-4 things at once, I doubt this'll improve. And I doubt new elite specs end up being meaningful across all classes.

It's hard to say. I don't have anything against elite specs, but I fear they put a leash on the creativity of the devs.

* Each elite spec is mutually exclusive, and they can't combine with each other.

* They have to be designed so that they synergize with core weapons and skills, and in theory can make a viable build using any two core trait lines (or at least pay lip service to that ideal).

* Not all classes are created equally. Some may have a smaller limit on how many ways you can stretch its core traits and mechanics before you're getting desperate or jumping the shark. Some may inspire more developer passion and creativity than others. Some may just be already way too complicated to warrant opening a new can or worms and screwing with balance in untold ways in every game mode.

* They can't just make a new elite for one class, when it's ready. If one class gets a new elite, then every class has to get one. Now it's an obligation, rather than something that came naturally or felt right. This is not a good recipe for quality design.

I think I would rather see a new class altogether. Something that isn't tied down by years of baggage, or has to mesh with pre-existing sets of skills and traits. I don't mean to underestimate how much work it is to create and balance a new class, but at least it's something that can be designed from the ground up with the benefit of years of GW2 experience.

New elites every 2 years seems ok. Its 2 years like lol.

And besides, when u say no what do you mean?

We need no new elite specs at all or just a few? Which classes are gonna be picked? The ones who arent why should players who main them buy the expac?

I don't think it's necessary to have elite specs every expansion. There are other ways to add meaningful content such as new types of weapons, races, expanding existing trait lines, or even additional weapon and ability slots as long as it doesn't create too much complexity. It's important to have varied ways of adding gameplay changing content that doesn't just include adding another set of exclusive traits and profession abilities every time.

I voted yes, To have variety and flexible play style are something that make me play the game.

I rarely play the game that has limited customization because it is lack of creativity.

and i plan to have 26 character slots. (from a-z) so , variety is important.

Now i already have 17 character slots, waiting for new elites to come....

Lastly, for me, 'balance' is something abstract. Each people have their personal view of 'balance' .

That's why i think to have new elite doesn't really ruin balance ...because it is not actually visually exist.

Well, it's hard to judge what an Expansion **Needs**

But, the more an Expansion offers, the better. The less it offers, the more it will feel like a rip off.

So while it may not need to offer 9 elite specs, it should offer something equally (or more) significant to the characters development, otherwise, players might feel slighted.

Just to use an Example: The fact that PoF, does not have a single legendary to it, makes it feel diminished to me, and, that is not a good trend to set.

I cannot vote simply yes or no because in my case, it is conditional.

Looking at it from a global perspective: We need changes once in a while and it seems to me that adding new elites is an alternative to adding a new profession. Taking that into consideration, my opinion is:

- I would prefer a new profession instead of new elites. We know it is possible since Revenant was added a while ago. However, the more elites are added, the less it is possible to get a new profession because - said simple - nothing much remains in term of types of skills (with the elites, almost all types are covered dispatched on all existing professions).

- On the other hand, if Anet has no plan to add one more profession in the future, then I prefer to see new elites added regularly than nothing changing.

So, at the end, my thinking is: If no new profession will be added, then I vote "Yes", please keep ensuring skills changes once in a while. Otherwise, I vote "No, rather bring the new profession faster please". :3

I don't really want new elites until they make it so we can go back to playing the game like it was meant to be played, a game. All builds should fundamentally work and all traits should be capable of being used acrossed all game modes, you should be able to be tanky. Or a healer, or hell a burst dps character SHOULD you choose to be that and not be punished based around that design. ( In wvw, pvp or raids or whatever) That is NOT the game they sold when it launched and it is not the game I Fell in love with, this crap with "Everyone gotta run zerker or vipers" has got to stop.

Personally Id like the core classes to be overhauled and reworked so that all of this experience they have had would reflect on them better, make them feel unique and special so that no two are "Completely" alike. White washing classes and making them all the same is bullshit and a horrible design to follow as it literally diminishes the reasoning to play them, sure they come in different colors but they function the same yea? So why have more than like three. One light, one medium and one heavy... because right now we dont see a lot of differences (apparent outside of color)

Guardian , rev and warrior should not remotely feel the same in any way shape or form once so ever. Granted Rev doesn't and that is why I main rev because out of all the classes it feels the most different from the others we currently have. However it suffers from alot of horrible shit that they have done to it and with the nerfs they have provided because everyone whined when HoT launched its in a sorry state. (PvP is horrible because the only good rev, is a herald... and then its litterally just a "Can I Do it before the real classes see me") Rev needs a rework from its core up to fundamentally stand as a class with choice within its nature, Running condi rev is ass in pvp and has been since its changes and the condi nerfs because it delivers so little. Renegade is completely un-usable (At least when compared to other classes specs) which blows hard because everyone else is running around with their new stuff and us rev's are stuck primarily with herald (If you want guaranteed success and even then its not that real of an expectation.)

I mainly care about rev (My main) but the other cores need work too. A core class should be able to stand up and dual a specialized class and still be able to have the same chance at success and NOT be handi-caped because it is not running the new "Fad". This game is loosing diversity and choice all the time and everyone defends it like "Oh new specs makes for diversity!?!?! Gotta have new specs" But in reality all the specs do is water down the classes, and hand them stuff from other classes which make them similar in practice but different in color and "Theme". I mean how long will it be before say I don't know we have a guardian who plays like a messmer with clones and the whole nine yards, wont be long if they keep doing the crap they are doing. Crossing the threshold and giving class specific mechanics to other classes is not far off when classes like the warrior are running out of weapons to use... along with different utilities.

And If say warrior gets WHOLE new weapon with a new type of utility never seen before then the other classes will need something of equal value, We need new weapons that are NOT in game. (Flails, great-axes, spears on land ect) Specs to me feel like the easy road band-aid to the cluster that is the issues with the core classes and their dated nature (In the rev's case its limited nature.)