I wish Druids were DPSers and not heals.

Martimus.6027

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

>

> Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> >

> > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

>

> Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

That's right! Druids were like...

.... Necromancers!

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> When I finally saw (rather recently as a matter of fact) that Arenanet was adding Druids as a class, along with many other classes, i was so excited. It's part of what made me buy POF and HOT recently and get back into the game to unlock those super cool classes....

>

> .....and then to my regret it wasn't anything like what I wanted in a Druid. I wish in my heart of hearts that it was designed more as a DPS nature-caster rather than a pseudo-CC heals and boon support class.

>

> Part of what drew me to GW2 was its philosophy of abandoning the Heal-DPS-Tank trifecta., and then they turn around and add a heal class to the game. It's confusing to me, a bit. Then they add raids that require people to min-max, whether ANet wanted that to happen or not, it did. We may not officially have tanks, heals and DPS, but really we have to gear to make ourselves tanks, heals and DPS for raids.

>

> Anyway,. Just some food for thought. I wish there was a 'stance' button to switch Druid into doubling its dps abilities and removing heals with its staff skills or something.

I agree, druids are forces of nature hence why they can control things like lightning. rain, and exploding thornes look at other mmorpgs like everquest 2 for example, think of them like a wizard for nature who has the ability to maybe control or transform into animals.

> > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> >

> > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

>

> Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > >

> > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> >

> > Aside from Boomkins in WoW druids are almost never offensively oriented.

>

> Tell that to:

>

> * World of Warcraft

> * Titan Quest

> * Diablo II

> * EQ2

> * Grim Dawn

> * Baldur's Gate

> * Baldur's Gate II

> * Ultima series

> * Magic: the Gathering...

>

> I could go on......but you get my point. Sorry, but you aren't correct on that statement.

>

I am also fairly sure everquest 1 as well, just on top of my head nox, dark ages of camelot, albion online, and never winter nights 1 and 2.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> Part of what drew me to GW2 was its philosophy of abandoning the Heal-DPS-Tank trifecta.

People min-maxed DPS for dungeons and ANet never added mechanics to fix the PvE content always rewarding DPS by giving it higher loot acquisition rates.

So people demanded the nonsense the trinity is and a very vocal minority whined about PvE not being hard enough or that they dislike playing DPS and are thus not in demand in optimized play, and demanded raids and a trinity. ANet buckled and went against their manifesto. My guild and I are playing another game with a trinity and it sucks because we all vastly prefer playing DPS. Not all of us can party together/enjoy the experience together and it feels awful.

So that is what we have.

For the record, Druid not being a viable damage dealer is pretty much just PvE-specific. The class shells out a lot (not as much as soulbeast, but still a good amount) of damage in the PvP formats and esteems itself mostly on how it's very adaptable with a lot of answers to common exploitable weaknesses of the core ranger and high reliability/potency uptime.

> @"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:

> > > @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > > Druid is fine as it is, if you wish to do damage you go Soulbeast.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I mean no offense, but that's not the point I am making. That's not the kind of Druid i wanted to play, or want to play in any MMORPG or RPG for that matter, really. I would at least like the option to be a competent DPS as a Druid class.

>

> Pick iboga and you are competent dps :D

Not anymore. :/

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > >

> > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> >

> > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

>

> Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

They were Celtic high priests that also served major roles in society, they were still priests though.

I just put the simplified version, the point stands though that it's just a name and priests are associated with healing in fantasy so Anet's take on druid is perfectly valid.

> > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > > > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > > >

> > > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> > >

> > > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

> >

> > Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

>

> They were Celtic high priests that also served major roles in society, they were still priests though.

I recommend you look beyond baseline mainstream research ive had many books and searches on druids and there is far more information out there then many like yourself think.

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > > > > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> > > >

> > > > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

> > >

> > > Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

> >

> > They were Celtic high priests that also served major roles in society, they were still priests though.

>

> I recommend you look beyond baseline mainstream research ive had many books and searches on druids and there is far more information out there then many like yourself think.

That literally doesn't change anything I said though.

You're saying druids can be a lot of different things, that doesn't invalidate the one Anet took with it.

> > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > > > @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > > > > > > @"Eekasqueak.7850" said:

> > > > > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

> > > >

> > > > Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

> > >

> > > They were Celtic high priests that also served major roles in society, they were still priests though.

> >

> > I recommend you look beyond baseline mainstream research ive had many books and searches on druids and there is far more information out there then many like yourself think.

>

> That literally doesn't change anything I said though.

>

> You're saying druids can be a lot of different things, that doesn't invalidate the one Anet took with it.

That is not what you where trying to argue to begin with lol whatever you say. Also if anet only took that from it then it would be a completely different druid.

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > >

> >

> > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

>

> Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

They were religious leaders and legal authorities, covering multiple control roles in celtic society. In fantasy there are miltiple ways to interpret this.

My only problem with druid is that they are inside of GW2 lore different to the druids of GW1.

They are not inclined with the plants but rather the stars. I would be happy if they would change them visually to match that actually, but what the spec does is not really mproblem except that it needs better distinction inside traits and tweaks for glyphs and staff.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > > >

> > > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> > >

> > > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

> >

> > Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

>

> They were religious leaders and legal authorities, covering multiple control roles in celtic society. In fantasy there are miltiple ways to interpret this.

> My only problem with druid is that they are inside of GW2 lore different to the druids of GW1.

> They are not inclined with the plants but rather the stars. I would be happy if they would change them visually to match that actually, but what the spec does is not really mproblem except that it needs better distinction inside traits and tweaks for glyphs and staff.

I am done arguing about this tbh, most people just do fave value research, believe what you wish Idc. Real druids where also inclined to stars if anyone actually understood druidism, but they where also inclined with plants, the fantasy druids are also both.

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > > > Elementalist already fills the role of power nuker with nature magic I feel.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. That's precisely the point I made earlier in a post. Elementalist does "Druid" better than Druid does in GW2. It displeases me.

> > > >

> > > > Why does it matter what it's named? Druids are just a type of Celtic priest.

> > >

> > > Ummm lol no far more actually, there is tons of legends behind druids and it is far from being an over glorified priest.

> >

> > They were religious leaders and legal authorities, covering multiple control roles in celtic society. In fantasy there are miltiple ways to interpret this.

> > My only problem with druid is that they are inside of GW2 lore different to the druids of GW1.

> > They are not inclined with the plants but rather the stars. I would be happy if they would change them visually to match that actually, but what the spec does is not really mproblem except that it needs better distinction inside traits and tweaks for glyphs and staff.

>

> I am done arguing about this tbh, most people just do fave value research, believe what you wish Idc. Real druids where also inclined to stars if anyone actually understood druidism, but they where also inclined with plants, the fantasy druids are also both.

Everything everyone has been saying about real world druids in this thread have been either wrong or just stabbing in the dark or guessing or repeating others who were stabbing in the dark or guessing.

Druids didn't leave written records of anything. There is virtually zilch known about anything they did or believed. Modern neo-druids are just literally making things up as they go along.

And that should be that.

> @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > > @"Ryou.2398" said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > They were religious leaders and legal authorities, covering multiple control roles in celtic society. In fantasy there are miltiple ways to interpret this.

> > My only problem with druid is that they are inside of GW2 lore different to the druids of GW1.

> > They are not inclined with the plants but rather the stars. I would be happy if they would change them visually to match that actually, but what the spec does is not really mproblem except that it needs better distinction inside traits and tweaks for glyphs and staff.

>

> I am done arguing about this tbh, most people just do fave value research, believe what you wish Idc. Real druids where also inclined to stars...

As i said they differ in lore from eachother which makes it inconsistent in itself. Idc what in realife happened, they had multiple roles which could be proven but never pinned down but that has zero relevance how the devs want to design there druid if they see a theme fit.

Only personally i dont like the visuals and wished they would have been more plant like instead of celestial stuff. Primary for lore consitsencies and aesthetics. Mechanically i have absolutely nothing to complain exvept of needed streamlining and not the healer role itself.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> Condi Druid was one of the top DPS slots until Ele went beast mode with weaver damage.

Condi druid was never a good dps option. It was used because it could support and do damage, but that damage was always below 50% of dps classes. Ranger and soulbeast were top tier dps at some point, not druid.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> Condi Druid was one of the top DPS slots until Ele went beast mode with weaver damage.

It was actualy condi ranger, condi druid was played as a support option. Since druid wasnt mightbot but provided grace of the land stacks (and they were not affected by boon duration). Thats why druid didnt have to use concentration gear and so it could have use damage gear since additional healing was not needed

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> I mean no offense, but that's not the point I am making. That's not the kind of Druid i wanted to play, or want to play in any MMORPG or RPG for that matter, really. I would at least like the option to be a competent DPS as a Druid class.

So, is it all about the name? If soul-beast was called druid then you wouldn't have had a problem?

> @"Eme.2018" said:

> > I mean no offense, but that's not the point I am making. That's not the kind of Druid i wanted to play, or want to play in any MMORPG or RPG for that matter, really. I would at least like the option to be a competent DPS as a Druid class.

>

> So, is it all about the name? If soul-beast was called druid then you wouldn't have had a problem?

>

>

n............no. What???

Is a Soulbeast a spellcasting nature based ranged DPS class who uses weather and the elements? How is this difficult.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> n............no. What???

>

> Is a Soulbeast a spellcasting nature based ranged DPS class who uses weather and the elements? How is this difficult.

No soulbeast is not that indeed, what you are describing is **elementalist**. So, it seems to me as if you are stuck in the name because clearly the class you wanted to play as a "druid" already exists.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> > @"Eme.2018" said:

> > > I mean no offense, but that's not the point I am making. That's not the kind of Druid i wanted to play, or want to play in any MMORPG or RPG for that matter, really. I would at least like the option to be a competent DPS as a Druid class.

> >

> > So, is it all about the name? If soul-beast was called druid then you wouldn't have had a problem?

> >

> >

>

> n............no. What???

>

> Is a Soulbeast a spellcasting nature based ranged DPS class who uses weather and the elements? How is this difficult.

You know that druid is just a name of the e-spec right? And you know that real druids arent somekind of fantasy spellcasters right? :D

I mean anet made the druid like what it is in this game. They wanted it to be low dps healing focused spec, not a spec that uses nature magic to damage his enemies.

> @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > > @"Eme.2018" said:

> > > > I mean no offense, but that's not the point I am making. That's not the kind of Druid i wanted to play, or want to play in any MMORPG or RPG for that matter, really. I would at least like the option to be a competent DPS as a Druid class.

> > >

> > > So, is it all about the name? If soul-beast was called druid then you wouldn't have had a problem?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > n............no. What???

> >

> > Is a Soulbeast a spellcasting nature based ranged DPS class who uses weather and the elements? How is this difficult.

>

> You know that druid is just a name of the e-spec right? And you know that real druids arent somekind of fantasy spellcasters right? :D

>

> I mean anet made the druid like what it is in this game. They wanted it to be low dps healing focused spec, not a spec that uses nature magic to damage his enemies.

Which brings up the entire point of my post, that i wish it wasn't designed like that. What are you even talking about?

> @"Eme.2018" said:

> > n............no. What???

> >

> > Is a Soulbeast a spellcasting nature based ranged DPS class who uses weather and the elements? How is this difficult.

>

> No soulbeast is not that indeed, what you are describing is **elementalist**. So, it seems to me as if you are stuck in the name because clearly the class you wanted to play as a "druid" already exists.

>

>

Don't you get what I was even saying in my post??? It's like you argued for no reason, other than to argue. I said I wish the Druid wasn't designed like it was as a healing class, but rather as a DPS ranged nature based spec. And I even said in another post that Druids are basically Elementalists before Elementalists even existed...

It's such a non-issue and argument. I'm simply stating my opinion on the class design.