Elonian ectoplasm drop rate

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> > > > >

> > > > > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > > > > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> > > >

> > > > Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

> > > >

> > > > In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

> > >

> > > Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

> >

> > Which would drastically lower the replayability of the only replayble content added to the game for over a year now.

>

> Really? Istan content is DRASTICALLY lower replayability because they reduced ecto drops from elonian weapons? I think you sensationalize a little too much. I don't even think that's a big problem.

Depends. People are still going to do it but once they catch on that the farm isn't as lucrative anymore it might just die out. Genuinely nobody likes playing that map at this point lol

Shaman makes a valid point (lost on the majority).

Expecting new players to know rare salvage from elionian rares is worse than rares from other maps is unfair to them.

But, reducing rare drops from PoF increases the difficulty of many of the weapon collections found in PoF, which require so many different rares. It's a mess all around.

Just like the Auric basin issue from last year - people do little other content but farm Istan and log out. It is getting a little better again after the Istan multi-map/loot fix.

Personally, I think they should've done nothing...why you might ask, because Ecto's should not be considered a currency, instead just consider them for what they are, a material. Stop worrying about one specific material not being worth what it used to be, if they really wanted to they could just bottom everything out and lock in the price of everything at vendor value...then nothing has any value what so ever. Is it really important that Ecto tanked on the TP? In the long term no, however, the other point made, that T3 and T4 materials are worth more than T6 is a valid concern, and the solution to that is this...as you level up the drop rate of all level materials evens out. Basically what that means is once you hit level 80 your chance of getting any material from any map is the same...i.e. you hit a level 15 map and you will get the same percentage of T1 material as you'd get from a level 80 map, not get T5/6 material from what should basically be a T1 map, of course that would screw over the entire material trading market because now everyone could be getting their own materials at the expense of farming vs buying off the TP....or do nothing and just let the market go as is, a completely free market economy with no intervention at all.

I think implementing Shards for Legendaries along with emphasizing Elder Wood and Mithril for that grind is what ruined Ascended Mat values. Don't need 90 Deldrimor ingots for precursors anymore.

This ecto change is fine if some rares were giving more salvage. Its rare that Anet is consistent when it comes to value balance.

> @"keenedge.9675" said:

> Shaman makes a valid point (lost on the majority).

> Expecting new players to know rare salvage from elionian rares is worse than rares from other maps is unfair to them.

> But, reducing rare drops from PoF increases the difficulty of many of the weapon collections found in PoF, which require so many different rares. It's a mess all around.

> Just like the Auric basin issue from last year - people do little other content but farm Istan and log out. It is getting a little better again after the Istan multi-map/loot fix.

Yep, it adds yet another layer of complexity and time-wasting to inventory management. As if we needed more of that!

At least before you could reliably just TP popular weapons (GS, staff, 1H sword) and salvage everything else. Now you have to determine what to do with Elonian weapons before you even begin to filter non-Elonian stuff. Inventory Wars FTL.

Decoupling unidentified gear from Magic Find would have been a much better start than this mess we just got. Now we have some weird Animal Farm "some rares are more equal than others" nonsense.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> I think implementing Shards for Legendaries along with emphasizing Elder Wood and Mithril for that grind is what ruined Ascended Mat values. Don't need 90 Deldrimor ingots for precursors anymore.

>

> This ecto change is fine if some rares were giving more salvage. Its rare that Anet is consistent when it comes to value balance.

That's the thing though; rare Elonian weapons were giving the same amount of ecto in salvage as any other rare. Now, they give less. How much less, I don't know, I can't afford to do a statistically significant research myself. But any value different from the rest of the rares is a problem, imo.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > > > > > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

> > > > >

> > > > > In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

> > > >

> > > > Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

> > >

> > > Which would drastically lower the replayability of the only replayble content added to the game for over a year now.

> >

> > Really? Istan content is DRASTICALLY lower replayability because they reduced ecto drops from elonian weapons? I think you sensationalize a little too much. I don't even think that's a big problem.

>

> Depends. People are still going to do it but once they catch on that the farm isn't as lucrative anymore it might just die out. Genuinely nobody likes playing that map at this point lol

Except we have lots examples in this game where that didn't happen in a lvl 80 zone so making a statement like you did seems like a whole lot of sensational fearmongering. Heck, we still got temples being unlocked in Orr ... that's about as old as it gets. No single zone has died out yet and you have no data to support any statement about who does or doesn't play in that map. Making up things doesn't add to the conversation.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > @"Shaman.2034" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > > ... The "I think ecto salvage rates were nerfed this patch" complain was a great meme once. I find i ironic that it has actually happened now.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > And i agree with Shaman there. Salvage rates should remain constant across the salvage kits and rarity tiers. We should not be tracking origins of the drops to know what we can expect to salvage them into. So, either nerf ecto salvage rates across _all_ rare gear, or reduce rare gear drops in PoF.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Why though? This is a simple fix for the issue without punishing players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept Isles.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > But this change _does_ punish players who don't farm Istan/Sandswept. It means any rare Elonian weapons they get from any other map are now less valuable.

> > > > > > > The best solution would have been to reduce the drop rates of rare Elonian weapons in Istan and any other map where their metrics showed it was a problem. That way, the value of rare Elonian weapons stays higher, so the main PoF maps don't lose rewards. PoF maps really didn't need this nerf.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well, think about it this way: The ways to get elonian weapons outside those two maps are.. terrible. When I finished all the maps and metas I ended with like 50 of them total in 70h of playtime or something.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In Istan you get 2 THOUSAND rares in that same time at the least.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Edit: well, i meant unidentified gear but that gives you a ton of elonian weapons so the point still stands

> > > > >

> > > > > Exactly, so they should cut down the number of rares you get in Istan.

> > > >

> > > > Which would drastically lower the replayability of the only replayble content added to the game for over a year now.

> > >

> > > Really? Istan content is DRASTICALLY lower replayability because they reduced ecto drops from elonian weapons? I think you sensationalize a little too much. I don't even think that's a big problem.

> >

> > Depends. People are still going to do it but once they catch on that the farm isn't as lucrative anymore it might just die out. Genuinely nobody likes playing that map at this point lol

>

> Except we have lots examples in this game where that didn't happen in a lvl 80 zone so making a statement like you did seems like a whole lot of sensational fearmongering. Heck, we still got temples being unlocked in Orr ... that's about as old as it gets. No single zone has died out yet and you have no data to support any statement about who does or doesn't play in that map. Making up things doesn't add to the conversation.

My comments were tongue-in-cheek, I know it's hard to tell over text so I will formally apologize for it.

The "nobody likes playing Istan" stuff was partly true though. I know a ton of people who loathe playing the map but do it anyway, we've had lots of funny conversations about that in map chat.

So don't worry, I'm not balls to the walls insane :P

> @"Cynn.1659" said:

> > @"X T D.6458" said:

> > PoF destroyed the value of crafting mats, we need more changes like this tbh.

>

> PoF destroyed value of everything most exotics go for like 60 silver these days.

Even less. Exotic armors are going for as low as 20 silver lol. Although this is not really that bad because it helps new players afford exotic gear so I am ok with this. I don't think mat prices need to skyrocket in price or see ectos shoot up to 50 silver but there needs to be some damage control here to find a sensible middle ground.

The OP's contention that the problem is the high drop rate of Elonian weapons is probably inaccurate or at least, insufficient. It's a combination of several factors. The most important is almost certainly the change from direct loot dropping to unidentified gear boxes. That's great for managing inventory, but it helped tank the value of rares & exotics.

The reason for the difference is that veterans used to to farm with ~200-400% MF typically, non-vets with far less. Now, a huge fraction of the unID gear is sold on the TP, and opened by people with 500-1000% MF. That drastically increases the amount of rare and exotic loot spinning into the economy. Since rare Elonian drops from unID gear, nerfing its ecto-content is a decent stop-gap way to reduce the flood of ecto, without changing all the underlying mechanics.

If ANet really wants exotics & rares (and ecto) to grow in value, it's going to take a lot more than a simplistic change. (And some have suggested that they have an interest in keeping things cheap.)