are tailors stupid now?

in GW1 all the armors have their own flare, for every style you have an armor.

in GW2 however, most of the armors look the same or are simply literal re-skins of the same.

so i wonder, has the armor smith and tailors gone stupid the further they go by generation?

it sure seems that way, every time Anet adds a GW1 armor in the gem store it's tons better then GW2 has generally.

• ArenaNet Staff

Keep in mind that Guild Wars armor was designed to fit a single race. Today, armor must be designed to accommodate five races. That adds a huge level of complexity to any design.

Tailors are not "stupid." They are simply being asked to do much, much more in today's Tyria.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" I'm unaware of the size of the GW2 team vs other MMO teams, but GW2 does seem to lag behind its contemporaries in Armor design. Quite significantly. Is this a staffing issue or a simple focus issue (I.E. Armor isn't as big a focus in GW2 as other games)?

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Keep in mind that Guild Wars armor was designed to fit a single race. Today, armor must be designed to accommodate five races. That adds a huge level of complexity to any design.

>

> Tailors are not "stupid." They are simply being asked to do much, much more in today's Tyria.

sound like an excuse.

more races more demands.... more demands more tailors.... more tailors more armor design...

so hire up more game designers :D

> @"EagleDelta.4726" said:

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" I'm unaware of the size of the GW2 team vs other MMO teams, but GW2 does seem to lag behind its contemporaries in Armor design. Quite significantly. Is this a staffing issue or a simple focus issue (I.E. Armor isn't as big a focus in GW2 as other games)?

I recall somewhere they wanted to maintain class silhouettes (atleast in Spvp). So, that could be a limiting factor (initially anyway). Of course, outfits breaks that notion. Alas!

> @"EagleDelta.4726" said:

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" I'm unaware of the size of the GW2 team vs other MMO teams, but GW2 does seem to lag behind its contemporaries in Armor design. Quite significantly. Is this a staffing issue or a simple focus issue (I.E. Armor isn't as big a focus in GW2 as other games)?

I disagree with this. I find gw2 ahead of a lot of mmos, a lot of which use very mundane armour looks at times. GW2 also has a lot more variety than gw1 and i distinctly remember a lot of complaints about some of gw1 armours not being very unteresting - ele in particular.

GW2 issue is a lack of identity in how it presents looks and is driven more by what makes money more than what fits the game. GW1 suffered a lot less from this and despite being pretty dull and unvaried from player to player in armour, most things outside of festivals fitted the World a lot better.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I disagree with this. I find gw2 ahead of a lot of mmos, a lot of which use very mundane armour looks at times. GW2 also has a lot more variety than gw1 and i distinctly remember a lot of complaints about some of gw1 armours not being very unteresting - ele in particular.

>

> GW2 issue is a lack of identity in how it presents looks and is driven more by what makes money more than what fits the game. GW1 suffered a lot less from this and despite being pretty dull and unvaried from player to player in armour, most things outside of festivals fitted the World a lot better.

Idk, I'm not a fan of GW2 art direction these days. We deviated so much from the original's elegant armor design and went full blown particle overload, even putting WoW to shame. People look like melting glowsticks with wings.

I wouldn't say tailors are stupid. I find there are a lot of good armor skins but many have one little annoyance that keeps me from using them. I really like the carapace jerkin; it looks great except the feedbag and dog leash around the neck clash with the overall design. I prefer symmetry in armors but many are very asymmetric. The Awakened Zealot Outfit looked great until I realized the swords are stabbed thru my character rather than on the back. The Shadow Assassin Outfit is my go to outfit for a few of my characters but that back bow on the female norn, human and sylvari really looks annoying.

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> I wouldn't say tailors are stupid. I find there are a lot of good armor skins but many have one little annoyance that keeps me from using them. I really like the carapace jerkin; it looks great except the feedbag and dog leash around the neck clash with the overall design. I prefer symmetry in armors but many are very asymmetric. The Awakened Zealot Outfit looked great until I realized the swords are stabbed thru my character rather than on the back. The Shadow Assassin Outfit is my go to outfit for a few of my characters but that back bow on the female norn, human and sylvari really looks annoying.

^This

There are armors I absolutely love... except for (insert feature) that stands out as not being part of the overall design. Outfits are no better (What the kitten are those ribbon things coming out of the arms of the new Elonian Elementalist outfit???)

So yeah, I don't think the armor skins themselves are too bad, it's just that we have to mix and match to find just the right combinations. The problem is that if you try to mix pieces from different sets, they don't come together right in most cases, making your perfect combination unworkable.