Uhm excuse me but why are there no 2 handed axes?

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > GW2 doesn't need to be like "almost every game". Also it is subjective to consider 2H axes "mandatory". Sword, shield, staff and bow are the basics which _almost_ every fantasy MMO has had (weirdly there was one played with no bows) - maybe dagger, but everything else becomes optional.

> > I'm not against new weapons being added, but it's never going to happen - you have to consider all 9 classes getting a new weapon - do they all get the same one, or 3 different, or 9 ?

> > Using the argument that GW2 needs to have something just because other titles have it is a weak argument.

> It's not like the weapons we do have are spread around equally. Counting elite specializations, there's 5 weapon types that have only 3 classes using them. If you added a new weapon type and only gave it to three classes, it'd be no worse off than shortbows or pistols are right now. Adding a full set of weapon skills, their associated animations and particle effects, and balancing them when a new elite spec is made, is no different if it's an existing weapon or a new weapon. Skin variety for a new weapon is a much bigger issue, than having to come up with new toys to give to each class.

>

Although I agree that the spread of usable weapons is inconsistent with some classes getting more options (like warrior) and others having fewer (eg. engi), we need to consider how they are added currently. With every expansion, each class has had 1 extra weapon made accessible (the exception is warrior with 2 daggers rather than 1).

Introducing a new weapon such as 2H axe, spear, caestus, etc would also have to be done equally for all 9 professions to keep things fair. Imagine the backlash if a few classes were given a new weapon and others were either given an old one or nothing at all.

Based on the assumption that all 9 classes would be treated equally, we either see all 9 getting the same weapon - eg spear - which IMO is kind of boring to give to everyone.

Or we see 3 sets, 1 for each weight class, so guard, rev, warrior all have the same new equip (with different uses) as do the light and medium classes.

The final option would be to have 9 completely unique weapons which is a tremendous amount of work.

Not to mention that devs would have to update each loot table to include drops for anything added.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > Asura outlawed the use of Double Handed Axes, because too many "Accidents" in the lab while trying to slice watermelons.

> >

> > Now you all know why they are not in the game.

>

> That's just about as dumb as Elonians breaking their spears and turning them into daggers. Because someone who's used a spear their whole life is going to want to destroy the weapon they're intimately familiar with and distort it into something else they aren't as adept with.

well when what you are familiar with gets outlawed and you still want to live, you may want to do something with it to not get attention of undead authorities ya know....

> > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > > If you added a new weapon type and only gave it to three classes,

> >

> > except other 6 classes would whine about 3 getting new toys so you'd need to find something new to introduce to them to satisfy those, and then you could get into issues of "but XX weapon fits Y class more than Z so why Z has it and Y don't" elite specs gets somewhat away with it because all classes gets something "new" in terms of tools available to them but nothing of these is purely exclusive to anything. so the only complaints you hear is that one guy complaining about axe-wielding librarians (which sounds awesome to me but apparently silly to him) or those guys complaining about one class getting mainhand and offhand while other gets only one of these. which is still much less

>

> You're sensationalizing something that's mostly a non-issue. They could easily add 3-4 new weapon types in a single expansion and give each class access to one of those 3 or 4. And I'm sure people will complain anyway, but people complain about everything that happens. That shouldn't stop the addition of things that are good for the game.

"could easily add", yet they didn't. Haven't a thought occur to you that maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be that easy? also are you sure that whole new weapon types right now are really "good for the game"?

There weren't any 2-handed axes in Guild Wars 1 either, so it's maybe a Tyria thing.

I'd rather they first add weapons that existed in the past 250 years before adding completely new ones.

Spears (on land) and Scythes are top on the list, and probably much easier to add than something completely new given how Spears already exist (but not on land) and Scythes exist as Staff skins.

> @"Elva.6372" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > Because the game doesn't need them.

>

> I have a flashback to a forum topic about mounts for some reason.

Maybe they will put them in. Seems like a lot of work on their part for little to no reward.

But.. wouldn't be the first time Anet put a lot of work into a bad idea.

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > Asura outlawed the use of Double Handed Axes, because too many "Accidents" in the lab while trying to slice watermelons.

> > >

> > > Now you all know why they are not in the game.

> >

> > That's just about as dumb as Elonians breaking their spears and turning them into daggers. Because someone who's used a spear their whole life is going to want to destroy the weapon they're intimately familiar with and distort it into something else they aren't as adept with.

>

> well when what you are familiar with gets outlawed and you still want to live, you may want to do something with it to not get attention of undead authorities ya know....

>

> > > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > > > If you added a new weapon type and only gave it to three classes,

> > >

> > > except other 6 classes would whine about 3 getting new toys so you'd need to find something new to introduce to them to satisfy those, and then you could get into issues of "but XX weapon fits Y class more than Z so why Z has it and Y don't" elite specs gets somewhat away with it because all classes gets something "new" in terms of tools available to them but nothing of these is purely exclusive to anything. so the only complaints you hear is that one guy complaining about axe-wielding librarians (which sounds awesome to me but apparently silly to him) or those guys complaining about one class getting mainhand and offhand while other gets only one of these. which is still much less

> >

> > You're sensationalizing something that's mostly a non-issue. They could easily add 3-4 new weapon types in a single expansion and give each class access to one of those 3 or 4. And I'm sure people will complain anyway, but people complain about everything that happens. That shouldn't stop the addition of things that are good for the game.

>

> "could easily add", yet they didn't. Haven't a thought occur to you that maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be that easy? also are you sure that whole new weapon types right now are really "good for the game"?

That was just an attempt at justifying a gameplay change through lore, rather than the other way around.

Everything in the software world is just a matter of priorities, which are influenced by how easy or hard something is but also by business desires. You could literally use "it's hard" as an excuse to not do anything, ever, which would obviously be a terrible idea. Adding new weapon types absolutely does not need to be any harder than anything they've done in the past, like adding gliding and mounts. Again, it's about priorities, and I see no reason why new weapon types shouldn't be a priority when:

'

a). it wouldn't be significantly more difficult than any other type of new development - that's just used as an excuse for business priorities.

b.) some very obvious ones are missing, causing flavor and theming vacuums

c.) they're running out of room to logically pass existing weapon choices around to new classes.

> > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > Asura outlawed the use of Double Handed Axes, because too many "Accidents" in the lab while trying to slice watermelons.

> > > >

> > > > Now you all know why they are not in the game.

> > >

> > > That's just about as dumb as Elonians breaking their spears and turning them into daggers. Because someone who's used a spear their whole life is going to want to destroy the weapon they're intimately familiar with and distort it into something else they aren't as adept with.

> >

> > well when what you are familiar with gets outlawed and you still want to live, you may want to do something with it to not get attention of undead authorities ya know....

> >

> > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > > > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > > > > If you added a new weapon type and only gave it to three classes,

> > > >

> > > > except other 6 classes would whine about 3 getting new toys so you'd need to find something new to introduce to them to satisfy those, and then you could get into issues of "but XX weapon fits Y class more than Z so why Z has it and Y don't" elite specs gets somewhat away with it because all classes gets something "new" in terms of tools available to them but nothing of these is purely exclusive to anything. so the only complaints you hear is that one guy complaining about axe-wielding librarians (which sounds awesome to me but apparently silly to him) or those guys complaining about one class getting mainhand and offhand while other gets only one of these. which is still much less

> > >

> > > You're sensationalizing something that's mostly a non-issue. They could easily add 3-4 new weapon types in a single expansion and give each class access to one of those 3 or 4. And I'm sure people will complain anyway, but people complain about everything that happens. That shouldn't stop the addition of things that are good for the game.

> >

> > "could easily add", yet they didn't. Haven't a thought occur to you that maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be that easy? also are you sure that whole new weapon types right now are really "good for the game"?

>

> That was just an attempt at justifying a gameplay change through lore, rather than the other way around.

yes, but a very well thought out one as opposed to your previous claim ;)

> Everything in the software world is just a matter of priorities, which are influenced by how easy or hard something is but also by business desires. You could literally use "it's hard" as an excuse to not do anything, ever, which would obviously be a terrible idea. Adding new weapon types absolutely does not need to be any harder than anything they've done in the past, like adding gliding and mounts. Again, it's about priorities, and I see no reason why new weapon types shouldn't be a priority when:

let me rephrase for you: it requires too much effort to do safely for it to be profitable

I was just talking to a guy I work with about this very thing.

He's interested in getting into GW2 and asked about that kind of weapon.

My response: "let me show you the great swords" LOL

Yes I understand they aren't the same visually, but they are the same functionally.

However I think they would be a fine addition.

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > Asura outlawed the use of Double Handed Axes, because too many "Accidents" in the lab while trying to slice watermelons.

> > > > >

> > > > > Now you all know why they are not in the game.

> > > >

> > > > That's just about as dumb as Elonians breaking their spears and turning them into daggers. Because someone who's used a spear their whole life is going to want to destroy the weapon they're intimately familiar with and distort it into something else they aren't as adept with.

> > >

> > > well when what you are familiar with gets outlawed and you still want to live, you may want to do something with it to not get attention of undead authorities ya know....

> > >

> > > > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > > > > @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> > > > > > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > > > > > If you added a new weapon type and only gave it to three classes,

> > > > >

> > > > > except other 6 classes would whine about 3 getting new toys so you'd need to find something new to introduce to them to satisfy those, and then you could get into issues of "but XX weapon fits Y class more than Z so why Z has it and Y don't" elite specs gets somewhat away with it because all classes gets something "new" in terms of tools available to them but nothing of these is purely exclusive to anything. so the only complaints you hear is that one guy complaining about axe-wielding librarians (which sounds awesome to me but apparently silly to him) or those guys complaining about one class getting mainhand and offhand while other gets only one of these. which is still much less

> > > >

> > > > You're sensationalizing something that's mostly a non-issue. They could easily add 3-4 new weapon types in a single expansion and give each class access to one of those 3 or 4. And I'm sure people will complain anyway, but people complain about everything that happens. That shouldn't stop the addition of things that are good for the game.

> > >

> > > "could easily add", yet they didn't. Haven't a thought occur to you that maybe, just maybe it wouldn't be that easy? also are you sure that whole new weapon types right now are really "good for the game"?

> >

> > That was just an attempt at justifying a gameplay change through lore, rather than the other way around.

>

> yes, but a very well thought out one as opposed to your previous claim ;)

>

> > Everything in the software world is just a matter of priorities, which are influenced by how easy or hard something is but also by business desires. You could literally use "it's hard" as an excuse to not do anything, ever, which would obviously be a terrible idea. Adding new weapon types absolutely does not need to be any harder than anything they've done in the past, like adding gliding and mounts. Again, it's about priorities, and I see no reason why new weapon types shouldn't be a priority when:

>

> let me rephrase for you: it requires too much effort to do safely for it to be profitable

And, having experience with game design and software iteration, I don't agree.

> @"Arzurag.7506" said:

> "Yeah, new weapons added, 2h-axes ? hell yeah count me in"

> "wat, no conditions ? no dots ? no cleave ? no dash/jump/whatever ? it only looks cool ? GARBAGE!!! Anet pls fix"

>

> ^^^^^^^That´s why^^^^^^

Then I would say they shouldn't do that. You make it sound like the axe would be a useless weapon, but they know the pitfalls to avoid, so I highly doubt they would implement it so poorly. Tweaks here and there, maybe, possibly even a skill change for one class, but nothing like that.

Here's the question, how far do they go?

If they introduce new weapons at MINIMUM they need new skills and new animations. How many people will be happy with just that. At this point we have HUNDREDS of different full weapon skin sets. If they don't add new axe skins to at least every one of the core weapon skins there would be a mutiny. Then there are the gem store skins... do they do those too? Beyond that, we don't have ANY idea how easy or complex it is to actually code a new weapon... not just transferring an existing one to a new class, but adding an entirely new weapon to the game from scratch. It **sounds** easy enough, but then so does adding more than two currency types to display at the bottom of the inventory screen, and in a Reddit AMA the devs said that when they looked in to it, it was basically impossible without re-writing the entire inventory screen from scratch. To be honest, we will likely never see a new weapon set... the best we can hope for is more skins that resemble the weapon people want on an existing weapon set.

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> Here's the question, how far do they go?

>

> If they introduce new weapons at MINIMUM they need new skills and new animations. How many people will be happy with just that. At this point we have HUNDREDS of different full weapon skin sets. If they don't add new axe skins to at least every one of the core weapon skins there would be a mutiny. Then there are the gem store skins... do they do those too? Beyond that, we don't have ANY idea how easy or complex it is to actually code a new weapon... not just transferring an existing one to a new class, but adding an entirely new weapon to the game from scratch. It **sounds** easy enough, but then so does adding more than two currency types to display at the bottom of the inventory screen, and in a Reddit AMA the devs said that when they looked in to it, it was basically impossible without re-writing the entire inventory screen from scratch. To be honest, we will likely never see a new weapon set... the best we can hope for is more skins that resemble the weapon people want on an existing weapon set.

There's a lot of this kind of thing in the game "we can't feasibly do this because of having to rewrite major parts of the game to accommodate it".

That is a terrible, terrible way to design an MMO. Sounds like some very amateur frameworking went into building this game, which is why we regularly can't have nice things.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> Yeah I would also like barefist, nunchuks, crossbows, whips, boomerangs, slingshots and a dodge ball.

All of these would be more interesting than a 2h Axe.

Personally I would be happy with Boomerangs, Chains and Barefists, as they are singular enough to create innovative gameplay.

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > Here's the question, how far do they go?

> >

> > If they introduce new weapons at MINIMUM they need new skills and new animations. How many people will be happy with just that. At this point we have HUNDREDS of different full weapon skin sets. If they don't add new axe skins to at least every one of the core weapon skins there would be a mutiny. Then there are the gem store skins... do they do those too? Beyond that, we don't have ANY idea how easy or complex it is to actually code a new weapon... not just transferring an existing one to a new class, but adding an entirely new weapon to the game from scratch. It **sounds** easy enough, but then so does adding more than two currency types to display at the bottom of the inventory screen, and in a Reddit AMA the devs said that when they looked in to it, it was basically impossible without re-writing the entire inventory screen from scratch. To be honest, we will likely never see a new weapon set... the best we can hope for is more skins that resemble the weapon people want on an existing weapon set.

>

> There's a lot of this kind of thing in the game "we can't feasibly do this because of having to rewrite major parts of the game to accommodate it".

>

> That is a terrible, terrible way to design an MMO. Sounds like some very amateur frameworking went into building this game, which is why we regularly can't have nice things.

That's how every business on earth operates. If the return on investment isn't worth the cost in time/money/resources invested then you don't make the change. And it's not exactly a secret that this uses the GW1 game engine, and so it's running off an engine that was built over 13 years ago.