Why not housing?

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> Housing would end up exactly like the guild hall: a giant money pit with nothing convenient in it.

the whole game is a money pit. Problem with Guild Halls is that you have to be in a Guild to even use them and normally have to be a high rank to even be able to do any decorations. This is why I never used the feature because I dont spend my free time on Guild Politics. I want to have fun. Not be limited by a flawed feature like that. Imagine if WvW was only useable if you are in a Guild and one of the top members of that guild. Nobody would play it. Terrible design and not player housing as most people have requested.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other then adding trophies to the home instance like MOX as an example, wouldn’t full customizable player instances be a huge, massive development time sink? Some custom gem store stuff like nodes are reasonable one ups but even home instance reskins would cost so much to develop and the community would want more and more.

> @"Brother.1504" said:

> Other then adding trophies to the home instance like MOX as an example, wouldn’t full customizable player instances be a huge, massive development time sink? Some custom gem store stuff like nodes are reasonable one ups but even home instance reskins would cost so much to develop and the community would want more and more.

IDK. They already have the basic technology with the guild hall and decorations.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > Other then adding trophies to the home instance like MOX as an example, wouldn’t full customizable player instances be a huge, massive development time sink? Some custom gem store stuff like nodes are reasonable one ups but even home instance reskins would cost so much to develop and the community would want more and more.

>

> IDK. They already have the basic technology with the guild hall and decorations.

I’m not a game designer. It seems like the player base thinks the devs have a room full of buttons that they can turn stuff on and off easily. I suspect impactful, satisfying, customizable, player instances would be a heck of a lot of work. I’d rather have the devs focus on other things.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

>

> I dont understand what you are saying. whats the theme of the game that housing system doesnt fit? and whats stupid about it as you say? also is the current housing instances in the game better feature than what most people that do want player housing are requesting?

The theme of 'playing with other people'. Sitting in a home instance is the opposite of what an MMO is about.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

> >

> > That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

> >

> > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > people who want housing never played Aion.

> > >

> >

> > Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

> >

> >

> > What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

> >

> >

>

> It is a bit inaccurate to say that adding housing will have no effect on those not interested in it. Every dollar, every man hour, spent on one thing is not, by definition, spent on something else.

"If I don't get something out of it no one should."

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

> >

> > I dont understand what you are saying. whats the theme of the game that housing system doesnt fit? and whats stupid about it as you say? also is the current housing instances in the game better feature than what most people that do want player housing are requesting?

>

> The theme of 'playing with other people'. Sitting in a home instance is the opposite of what an MMO is about.

People don't need to be policed or pushed into grouping. Sitting around a house isn't something anyone does... ever, at least not to the point where anyone would ever have an actual reason to need to do anything about it. They set up their house for the first time 20 to 30 minutes sometimes an hour, which is there time to spend. Then spend 5 or 10 minutes every once and a wile trying out new ideas. They show off what they've done to there friends and see their houses maybe have a decorating party at everyone's house.

You know, a lot of people are spitting on minecraft, but it's one of the most customizable game ever, from your own house to programming quests, games and events with command blocks! ;) Housing could be only beneficial for gw2, you can't currently change anything from your story to your home's look...

I'm not asking for a SIMS rippof, but only somewhere where you can choose between different house models and decorate the interior. For me it's totally possible since we have guild hall and WvW holding a very large amount of decos and siege weapons... make it like a regular map limited to let's say 30 players with several instances that you can switch between...

And about the reasons: Ph ph ph it's not a gold sink, the prices are set on the NPC, as in my thread: 5 silvers to craft a green wood table with 3 planks and 4 dowels nothing else, it would be pretty cheap. You can have achievs linked to housing, dailies, extensions for your house like a basement or garden like in Animal crossing, I like this game by the way. How can you tell that is horrible before it happened? Leave time for this idea to grow instead of stomping on the seed... ;)

I think people are missing the whole point of player housing which is to provide a place where you as a player can both customize & show off what you have accomplished in the world of Tyria to both the public, guildies & friends. Its something you can put your personal stamp on that stands out. As I've said, if your against it then no problems, simply open another discussion topic & let ANET know where you feel there resources would be better spent. Nobody is forcing player housing on anyone, we're simply giving our opinion as to why we would love to see it in game. Referring to other game titles (MMO's) with player housing already implemented is giving an example of why we feel this would be a fun & exciting experience in GW2 as well (and it certainly doesn't have to be done the exact same way either).

> @"MicroCuts.9510" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > Were none of you there for the Garrison disaster that WoW had in Warlords of Draenor? Don't ask for houses, you don't know what you ask for... it'll turn the game in Farmville. Just No.

>

> the Garrison had nothing to do with player housing. it seems that a lot of people here have never experienced good mmo housing.

Good player housing, no the BEST player housing I have ever had the pleasure of making an endgame priority was WildStar. I don't ever see another game with that level of customization, so I'm fine with GW2's home instance and it's limited interaction, cuz I know they could never implement that level of design.

> @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

>

> That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

>

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > people who want housing never played Aion.

> >

>

> Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

>

>

> What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

>

>

FYI, in Aion I had 14 houses, I crafted the furniture, the storage chests,got farming nodes, waited countless hours in an auction sunday morning bidding on housing and one day because the community wanted server mergers I lost it all apart from the money I paid. Three years of work taken from me in a blink. I loved my houses for what it was worth, and in this game yes I wouldn't say no to a cosy norm house in the snow or a majestic human mansion.

My post wasn't to stop people's enjoyment, hell I would be hard pressed NOT to go down the housing route if introduced- however I'd be thinking twice about spending any effort in such a venture, depending if the housing would be in a personnel area or a New Map.

Once bitten and all that.

> @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

> > >

> > > That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

> > >

> > > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > > people who want housing never played Aion.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

> > >

> > >

> > > What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It is a bit inaccurate to say that adding housing will have no effect on those not interested in it. Every dollar, every man hour, spent on one thing is not, by definition, spent on something else.

>

> "If I don't get something out of it no one should."

>

You might want to reread my post as your quote misrepresents its content pretty drastically. I do hope this is due to a mistake in reading comprehension rather than intentional misrepresentation.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

> > > >

> > > > That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

> > > >

> > > > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > > > people who want housing never played Aion.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > It is a bit inaccurate to say that adding housing will have no effect on those not interested in it. Every dollar, every man hour, spent on one thing is not, by definition, spent on something else.

> >

> > "If I don't get something out of it no one should."

> >

> You might want to reread my post as your quote misrepresents its content pretty drastically. I do hope this is due to a mistake in reading comprehension rather than intentional misrepresentation.

>

>

No, I got what you said. have a nice day.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

> > > > >

> > > > > That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > > > > people who want housing never played Aion.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It is a bit inaccurate to say that adding housing will have no effect on those not interested in it. Every dollar, every man hour, spent on one thing is not, by definition, spent on something else.

> > >

> > > "If I don't get something out of it no one should."

> > >

> > You might want to reread my post as your quote misrepresents its content pretty drastically. I do hope this is due to a mistake in reading comprehension rather than intentional misrepresentation.

> >

> >

>

> No, I got what you said. have a nice day.

You may not have noticed, but, you are not the individual I quoted in my response.

> @"Faline.8795" said:

> Given that one of the questions that gets asked a lot is "What is there to do at endgame," I've always wondered why housing hasn't been implemented.

>

> A lot of people seem to like it, it's certainly something to grind for.

>

> Is the community here against housing? Is ANet? Is the engine not capable?

Housing is a feature that, while important to a small number of players in MMOs, doesnt tend to drive massive sales or long term engagement.

If it did, everyone would be playing Wildstar.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

"_doesn't really fit into the theme of the game_"? - Have you played GW 2 before? Clearly, you did not put much thought into this post.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

> >

> > I dont understand what you are saying. whats the theme of the game that housing system doesnt fit? and whats stupid about it as you say? also is the current housing instances in the game better feature than what most people that do want player housing are requesting?

>

> The theme of 'playing with other people'. Sitting in a home instance is the opposite of what an MMO is about.

Why wouldn't you be able to play with your friends in your customized housing area? Why would they have to be sitting? Why not invite good friends and even new friends to come hang out in your customized space with cool mini-games and activities to do?

Show off your space and then let others show theirs to you. A game based on an aesthetic endgame would be foolish not to implement a feature such as this. Also, nothing brings people together better than a good time with friends in a cozy place. Except maybe a massive world event like battling Tequatl!

After have watched the videos from Knighthonor, I really expect this quality too, but we will not reach it; imo, you would certainly put any kind of furniture into your home, but you will not be able to add water / lava / grass / stone tiles / bridges / all the doors and walls and increase the number of objects within your house instance, Indeed it would be stunning, but I'm hesitating if the engine could handle that or not :/ But I may be wrong, if your house is a empty "dimension"/instance with no objects at the beginning apart an asuran gate and a platform, you surely have enough space to build your very own house. :D The question is, should it be a sandbox with already all furniture unlocked or like scribing, have to craft them? I think when players will start their house, they would already want to have everything unlocked to build it how they want.... Or should it be more like an already made empty basic structure you can choose to decorate?

We finally return to the same thing again, the system should be well made. Something awesome would be a NPC selector and Node Selector, to put the one we want where we want to make the whole thing more living. I can already imagine myself making a lab and putting Peacemaker to guard the entrances.

I really like this "project/idea", you could eventually choose activities for your home, and she can be used to RolePlay.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> > > > > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > > > Dont turn Guild wars 2 into the sims. It is a totally unneeded addittion.

> > > >

> > > > That would imply taking away every non-sim part of the game. Almost nothing added to a mmo is "needed".

> > > >

> > > > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > > > people who want housing never played Aion.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Either that or played a bunch of games where it worked out perfectly fine, enjoyed themselves and want to see it here.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > What people are talking about is a desire to have a part of the game added that would have absolutely no effect on the people who are against it. Its seems kind of narcissistic to say "If I don't get something out of it no one should get anything out of it and I demand that no one ever ever talk about!". I'm referring to not just comments on this page or even specifically this game just typical behavior of some forum commenters.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > It is a bit inaccurate to say that adding housing will have no effect on those not interested in it. Every dollar, every man hour, spent on one thing is not, by definition, spent on something else.

> >

> > "If I don't get something out of it no one should."

> >

> You might want to reread my post as your quote misrepresents its content pretty drastically. I do hope this is due to a mistake in reading comprehension rather than intentional misrepresentation.

>

>

What you said was a softer way of saying what I said. They pay money and so feel entitled to have all the content directed at them and nothing spent on other people. And it would be a fairly small expenditure, Just take the racial walls and building etc. from the home instance, clean them up a little and turn then into a digital erector set. Cost far less than a new raid which only a small percentage of the community even uses commonly bases. I'm in 5 guilds all of which are all 500 strong except for VIP which is 3 500 person guilds connected buy discord and no one ever talks about raids. If they Ok'd homes I can say for a fact that most of the people in them would be talking about the new home instance and play with them as much as people do on other games.

> @"Cyrin.1035" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > Housing is a rather stupid MMO mechanic if you think about it. I get that some people like it, but it doesn't really fit into the theme of the game. based on Anet's atypical approach to design and implementation, I think the 'House' you want isn't going to happen and the 'House' you are going to get is already here in the home instance.

> > >

> > > I dont understand what you are saying. whats the theme of the game that housing system doesnt fit? and whats stupid about it as you say? also is the current housing instances in the game better feature than what most people that do want player housing are requesting?

> >

> > The theme of 'playing with other people'. Sitting in a home instance is the opposite of what an MMO is about.

>

> Why wouldn't you be able to play with your friends in your customized housing area? Why would they have to be sitting? Why not invite good friends and even new friends to come hang out in your customized space with cool mini-games and activities to do?

>

> Show off your space and then let others show theirs to you. A game based on an aesthetic endgame would be foolish not to implement a feature such as this. Also, nothing brings people together better than a good time with friends in a cozy place. Except maybe a massive world event like battling Tequatl!

Showing off you personal space to your friends has little to do with promoting the larger community as an MMO themed game. If you want to 'hang' with a select group of people, Anet has already created those areas. If Anet wants to introduce cool mini-games and activities, they don't need to have personal, customized housing to do it.

The point isn't to discuss what housing COULD be, the discussion is if it adds value to the game as a whole.

Now, if I could attack your house, and you could attack my house, and we could get our friends to help defend/attack, THEN you might have some wider gameplay value in personal housing. Right now, the kind of housing being proposed is just alot of home maker garbage ... where do I put my table, what kind of plant do I want in the corner, where do I put my trophies, how many chairs do I need to seat all my friends when they visit. You know this game is on it's last leg if we get housing like that.

> @"Brother.1504" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > > Other then adding trophies to the home instance like MOX as an example, wouldn’t full customizable player instances be a huge, massive development time sink? Some custom gem store stuff like nodes are reasonable one ups but even home instance reskins would cost so much to develop and the community would want more and more.

> >

> > IDK. They already have the basic technology with the guild hall and decorations.

>

> I’m not a game designer.

Neither am I. I am, though, a software developer with enough background experience to feel comfortable about my guesses.

> It seems like the player base thinks the devs have a room full of buttons that they can turn stuff on and off easily. I suspect impactful, satisfying, customizable, player instances would be a heck of a lot of work. I’d rather have the devs focus on other things.

They would be, no question. That said, there is a big difference between "develop completely from scratch" and "develop when the basic technology for something exists"; offering the ability to decorate an instance exists, in the guild hall. So, while there would be effort involved in getting that working for "housing", it would be less that if they didn't have this.

This'd also be why they changed the recipe rather than fixing the crafting stuff to not consume glyphs in harvesting tools, a little while back: the later would be a completely new feature, and so the development effort involved is significantly greater than just changing the ingredients...

So, yes, you are right: many people have unrealistic impressions of the effort involved in developing features. I don't believe that is quite so significant as you make out in this one, specific case. (Though I'm no more immune to it than anyone else, of course.)

I also think that adding player housing would be REALLY hard to do within the content of a game where the player is part of a story. Like ... all the sudden, my avatar needs a home because of how the story progresses. We already HAVE a home instance and home instances have been part of the player story in the past. IT would seem really disjointed at this point to have a 'real' home introduced, especially with zero backstory to support it.

I'm not entirely sure why some players are saying go to other MMO's if you want player housing.... the whole point of this topic was about discussing the possibility of introducing player housing into GW2 in the first place. Home instances already exist, however they are primarily used just to farm nodes in them & they all look exactly the same which I myself find extremely generic.

Visiting another players custom made home (that was open to the public to visit) I truly feel would promote players to communicate more (not less) which is always a plus in any MMO & having certain games/activities available in those houses I wouldn't say was a bad thing either (I don't understand why a mini game or any other activities should only be available anywhere else in the world but not in a custom made player house?).

Players that don't want to "hang out" at the house are more then free to wander over to there guild halls or anywhere else in the world for that matter, but for the rest of us, let us dream of our custom built home in our favorite MMO>> Guild Wars 2!