Does mesmer really has to be such purple-pink-all kind of masks and butterflies profession?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

Yeah... no. Most girls I know (myself included) actually have blue as favorite color. Historicly there was a time where pink was for boys and blue was for girls, so there is no truly consistent "pink-blue gender inversion" through history... if anything history proves that it is a cultural thing. I have never seen art or natural aesthetic preferences being a gender thing (sure would make it difficult to be an artist). The one about flavours and smells makes no sense either... especially with how different foods are around the world.

But besides that it is true that there is differences, ofc. there is. But they are far from hardlined and many are cultural. Either way it is ok to dislike things... I mean I hated pink for some time in my teen years. (Why do only boys get blue, I love blue, blue is favorite).

Personally, I dislike the mesmer aesthetic as well. Mesmers can create illusions and get into your head--for me that doesn't translate into pretty butterflies--that translates into nightmare fuel. Mesmers are potentially the most dark, terror-inducing profession in the game. They can make you see what they want, control your emotions, and essentially break your mind.

You may not be able to change the fact that mesmer spells are purple, but you can definitely give your mesmer a different feel with armor. I went more for the horror aspect with one of my mesmers--using necromancer masks, dark colors and effects, and grim-looking armor. The other mesmer looks more like a beach hippie than any kind of mage or fighter--but I think that also lends itself to the profession better than the butterflies. Seems to me, the best mesmers are either nightmare fuel, or they're the last person you'd expect to be a mesmer.

> @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

>

> Yeah... no. Most girls I know (myself included) actually have blue as favorite color. Historicly there was a time where pink was for boys and blue was for girls, so there is no truly consistent "pink-blue gender inversion" through history... if anything history proves that it is a cultural thing. I have never seen art or natural aesthetic preferences being a gender thing (sure would make it difficult to be an artist). The one about flavours and smells makes no sense either... especially with how different foods are around the world.

> But besides that it is true that there is differences, ofc. there is. But they are far from hardlined and many are cultural. Either way it is ok to dislike things... I mean I hated pink for some time in my teen years. (Why do only boys get blue, I love blue, blue is favorite).

>

That's the inversion I was talking about. We assigned pink to boys and blue to girls, and it naturally flipped. I have seen lots of places where the preferred art and aesthetics are different between the sexes. Women like cute, men like sexy, women like vibrancy, men like duller tones, men like strength and danger, women prefer comfort. I have sisters, nieces, aunts, etc, and they all follow this trend. The guys want framed pictures of body builders and MMA fighters while the girls want a miniature hammock for all of their stuffed animals. My sister, in spite of her liking a lot of guy hobbies, keeps dolls with crochet dresses in her room; a feature no man I know would ever set up on their own.

These kinds of differences extend all the way from high art to the simplest things. Whenever I go out to eat with a big group, the women are ordering fruity drinks and desserts while the men are ordering spiced meats. When we buy perfume/cologne, the women buy stuff that smells like flowers and fabric softener while the men buy stuff that smell like old cardboard or chopped wood. When it comes to hobbies, guys are buying comic books and trading cards where women are socializing while doing arts and crafts. When it comes to movies, guys prefer generic action while women like rom-coms. Etc. and so on. Culture itself is shaped around these innate differences more than culture shapes them, and when all options are available we tend toward stereotypes more often than not.

When a guy says he doesn't want to do something because it is girly, it means that there is a complex interaction going on that the guy lacks an adequate means of explaining, but is nonetheless still aware of. Rather than dive deep into Ph. D levels of anthropology to try and justify it, we should just accept that it is perfectly normal and not harmful for a guy to not want to do girly things.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

> >

> > Yeah... no. Most girls I know (myself included) actually have blue as favorite color. Historicly there was a time where pink was for boys and blue was for girls, so there is no truly consistent "pink-blue gender inversion" through history... if anything history proves that it is a cultural thing. I have never seen art or natural aesthetic preferences being a gender thing (sure would make it difficult to be an artist). The one about flavours and smells makes no sense either... especially with how different foods are around the world.

> > But besides that it is true that there is differences, ofc. there is. But they are far from hardlined and many are cultural. Either way it is ok to dislike things... I mean I hated pink for some time in my teen years. (Why do only boys get blue, I love blue, blue is favorite).

> >

>

> That's the inversion I was talking about. We assigned pink to boys and blue to girls, and it naturally flipped. I have seen lots of places where the preferred art and aesthetics are different between the sexes. Women like cute, men like sexy, women like vibrancy, men like duller tones, men like strength and danger, women prefer comfort. I have sisters, nieces, aunts, etc, and they all follow this trend. The guys want framed pictures of body builders and MMA fighters while the girls want a miniature hammock for all of their stuffed animals. My sister, in spite of her liking a lot of guy hobbies, keeps dolls with crochet dresses in her room; a feature no man I know would ever set up on their own.

>

> These kinds of differences extend all the way from high art to the simplest things. Whenever I go out to eat with a big group, the women are ordering fruity drinks and desserts while the men are ordering spiced meats. When we buy perfume/cologne, the women buy stuff that smells like flowers and fabric softener while the men buy stuff that smell like old cardboard or chopped wood. When it comes to hobbies, guys are buying comic books and trading cards where women are socializing while doing arts and crafts. When it comes to movies, guys prefer generic action while women like rom-coms. Etc. and so on. Culture itself is shaped around these innate differences more than culture shapes them, and when all options are available we tend toward stereotypes more often than not.

>

> When a guy says he doesn't want to do something because it is girly, it means that there is a complex interaction going on that the guy lacks an adequate means of explaining, but is nonetheless still aware of. Rather than dive deep into Ph. D levels of anthropology to try and justify it, we should just accept that it is perfectly normal and not harmful for a guy to not want to do girly things.

that's the most stereotypical read i have had for years, this might be true in the 90's but nowadays nothing of that is anywhere near true.

my GF loads the typical girly stuff, she really doesn't like dolls unless it's a collectible statue of star wars. (just like me)

i am the kind of guy who eats the fruit more, even while i like spicy food a good fruit salad is a nice treat for me.

better yet, my GF prefers blue while my favorite color is ether black or bright red, another non-stereo type thing.

you can say all you want with patterns but you have absolutely no idea how ppl really are unless you know them.

Shades of purple are the colours associated with psychic or higher order mental/"spiritual" abilities in many belief systems. Sure here it happens to be more bright magenta, but it still fits the theme mesmer is going for.

My favourite colours are pink, blue and "amethyst". I love mesmer visual effect colours.

B-but my husband has his toenails painted neon green and it's adorable. Personally, I always thought the butterflies represented rebirth and opening up into a new state of mind. On the subject of the pink and blue thing, I never understood that. I don't much care for pink in excess, if it accentuates a darker color and makes it more vibrant, then it's fine. Then again, I'm not a very conventional person. My favorite colors are earth toned colors. <3

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

> > >

> > > Yeah... no. Most girls I know (myself included) actually have blue as favorite color. Historicly there was a time where pink was for boys and blue was for girls, so there is no truly consistent "pink-blue gender inversion" through history... if anything history proves that it is a cultural thing. I have never seen art or natural aesthetic preferences being a gender thing (sure would make it difficult to be an artist). The one about flavours and smells makes no sense either... especially with how different foods are around the world.

> > > But besides that it is true that there is differences, ofc. there is. But they are far from hardlined and many are cultural. Either way it is ok to dislike things... I mean I hated pink for some time in my teen years. (Why do only boys get blue, I love blue, blue is favorite).

> > >

> >

> > That's the inversion I was talking about. We assigned pink to boys and blue to girls, and it naturally flipped. I have seen lots of places where the preferred art and aesthetics are different between the sexes. Women like cute, men like sexy, women like vibrancy, men like duller tones, men like strength and danger, women prefer comfort. I have sisters, nieces, aunts, etc, and they all follow this trend. The guys want framed pictures of body builders and MMA fighters while the girls want a miniature hammock for all of their stuffed animals. My sister, in spite of her liking a lot of guy hobbies, keeps dolls with crochet dresses in her room; a feature no man I know would ever set up on their own.

> >

> > These kinds of differences extend all the way from high art to the simplest things. Whenever I go out to eat with a big group, the women are ordering fruity drinks and desserts while the men are ordering spiced meats. When we buy perfume/cologne, the women buy stuff that smells like flowers and fabric softener while the men buy stuff that smell like old cardboard or chopped wood. When it comes to hobbies, guys are buying comic books and trading cards where women are socializing while doing arts and crafts. When it comes to movies, guys prefer generic action while women like rom-coms. Etc. and so on. Culture itself is shaped around these innate differences more than culture shapes them, and when all options are available we tend toward stereotypes more often than not.

> >

> > When a guy says he doesn't want to do something because it is girly, it means that there is a complex interaction going on that the guy lacks an adequate means of explaining, but is nonetheless still aware of. Rather than dive deep into Ph. D levels of anthropology to try and justify it, we should just accept that it is perfectly normal and not harmful for a guy to not want to do girly things.

>

> that's the most stereotypical read i have had for years, this might be true in the 90's but nowadays nothing of that is anywhere near true.

> my GF loads the typical girly stuff, she really doesn't like dolls unless it's a collectible statue of star wars. (just like me)

> i am the kind of guy who eats the fruit more, even while i like spicy food a good fruit salad is a nice treat for me.

> better yet, my GF prefers blue while my favorite color is ether black or bright red, another non-stereo type thing.

>

> you can say all you want with patterns but you have absolutely no idea how ppl really are unless you know them.

I'm pretty sure the moral of the story was "don't belittle the OP for not liking what they don't like." People can argue one way or another, but there are things, that when you think of them, a natural gender comes to mind. The Spanish language is a good reference to this, it's not el Angeles. When someone thinks of barbies, boys dont pop up as a first thought, even though some may play with them. Say what you want about stereotypes, they exist for a reason, and it's not because someone wanted to be a dick.

Just go to: [butterflyinsight.com/purple-butterfly-color-meaning-and-myths.html](http://www.butterflyinsight.com/purple-butterfly-color-meaning-and-myths.html "butterflyinsight.com/purple-butterfly-color-meaning-and-myths.html") - everything written there is true for Mesmers:

* they are not as common as others

* "Seeing a purple butterfly may indicate that an important person may soon make an appearance in your life." - aka the Mesmer

* purple butterflies are symbols for spiritualism, enlightenment and mastery

* a purple butterfly can indicate that healing will soon take place

They just _have to_ be purple.

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

>

> @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

>

> This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> >

> > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> >

> > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

>

> Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

> @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

> @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > >

> > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > >

> > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> >

> > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

>

> Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

> Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> > > > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > > > Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

> > > >

> > > > Yeah... no. Most girls I know (myself included) actually have blue as favorite color. Historicly there was a time where pink was for boys and blue was for girls, so there is no truly consistent "pink-blue gender inversion" through history... if anything history proves that it is a cultural thing. I have never seen art or natural aesthetic preferences being a gender thing (sure would make it difficult to be an artist). The one about flavours and smells makes no sense either... especially with how different foods are around the world.

> > > > But besides that it is true that there is differences, ofc. there is. But they are far from hardlined and many are cultural. Either way it is ok to dislike things... I mean I hated pink for some time in my teen years. (Why do only boys get blue, I love blue, blue is favorite).

> > > >

> > >

> > > That's the inversion I was talking about. We assigned pink to boys and blue to girls, and it naturally flipped. I have seen lots of places where the preferred art and aesthetics are different between the sexes. Women like cute, men like sexy, women like vibrancy, men like duller tones, men like strength and danger, women prefer comfort. I have sisters, nieces, aunts, etc, and they all follow this trend. The guys want framed pictures of body builders and MMA fighters while the girls want a miniature hammock for all of their stuffed animals. My sister, in spite of her liking a lot of guy hobbies, keeps dolls with crochet dresses in her room; a feature no man I know would ever set up on their own.

> > >

> > > These kinds of differences extend all the way from high art to the simplest things. Whenever I go out to eat with a big group, the women are ordering fruity drinks and desserts while the men are ordering spiced meats. When we buy perfume/cologne, the women buy stuff that smells like flowers and fabric softener while the men buy stuff that smell like old cardboard or chopped wood. When it comes to hobbies, guys are buying comic books and trading cards where women are socializing while doing arts and crafts. When it comes to movies, guys prefer generic action while women like rom-coms. Etc. and so on. Culture itself is shaped around these innate differences more than culture shapes them, and when all options are available we tend toward stereotypes more often than not.

> > >

> > > When a guy says he doesn't want to do something because it is girly, it means that there is a complex interaction going on that the guy lacks an adequate means of explaining, but is nonetheless still aware of. Rather than dive deep into Ph. D levels of anthropology to try and justify it, we should just accept that it is perfectly normal and not harmful for a guy to not want to do girly things.

> >

> > that's the most stereotypical read i have had for years, this might be true in the 90's but nowadays nothing of that is anywhere near true.

> > my GF loads the typical girly stuff, she really doesn't like dolls unless it's a collectible statue of star wars. (just like me)

> > i am the kind of guy who eats the fruit more, even while i like spicy food a good fruit salad is a nice treat for me.

> > better yet, my GF prefers blue while my favorite color is ether black or bright red, another non-stereo type thing.

> >

> > you can say all you want with patterns but you have absolutely no idea how ppl really are unless you know them.

>

> I'm pretty sure the moral of the story was "don't belittle the OP for not liking what they don't like." People can argue one way or another, but there are things, that when you think of them, a natural gender comes to mind. The Spanish language is a good reference to this, it's not el Angeles. When someone thinks of barbies, boys dont pop up as a first thought, even though some may play with them. Say what you want about stereotypes, they exist for a reason, and it's not because someone wanted to be a kitten.

With out stereotypes their would be only one monotype and if Pink Floyd thought us anything it's the more stereotypes the better.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

>

> That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

> > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > > >

> > > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > > >

> > > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> > >

> > > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> >

> > Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

> > Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

> Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

>

>

Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

> @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

> >

> > That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

> > > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > > > >

> > > > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > > > >

> > > > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> > > >

> > > > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> > >

> > > Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

> > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

> > > Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

> > Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

> >

> >

>

> Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

The class color scheme is shown in that image through the "auras" surrounding them. Elementalist's top half is transparent. But you can see the aura around her legs, a big red blotch.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> >

> > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> >

> > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

>

> Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > >

> > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > >

> > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> >

> > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

>

> the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

In a word where magic exists, blue flame might come from some other source. In much fantasy blue represents healing, or holy magic. I seriously doubt the blue comes from propane.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

Well it is magical flame and blue seems to be the colour of the spirit (or ghosts) in Tyria, as guardians are half monk half paragons, or fits them.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > > I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

> > >

> > > That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

> > > > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > > > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > > > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

> > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

> > > > Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

> > > Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

>

> The class color scheme is shown in that image through the "auras" surrounding them. Elementalist's top half is transparent. But you can see the aura around her legs, a big red blotch.

Yes I'm aware which is why I said

"Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red"

idk what theory you're talking about when I posted it specifically to say and show that each class have always had their own colors.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

In fiction, any flame that is a consistent unnatural color is associated with some sort of supernatural phenomenon. Blue flames that don't give of heat, black flames that never extinguish, white flames that "cleanse" things, green flames that corrupt, etc.

Also, not sure why this discussion is even being had. I mean, yeah stereotypes aren't always true but why deny a stereotype exists? Your not going to convince anyone that pink has no connection to feminine or that it's more strongly paired to masculine. You're better off subverting the stereotype with your choices than trying to bend the thoughts of people around you.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > > >

> > > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > > >

> > > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> > >

> > > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> >

> > the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

>

> Well it is magical flame and blue seems to be the colour of the spirit (or ghosts) in Tyria, as guardians are half monk half paragons, or fits them.

spirits in GW are dark turquesa but yeah.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Spirit

> @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > @"Dreadshow.9320" said:

> > > > > I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

> > > >

> > > > That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

> > > > > @"meowtier.1364" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> > > > > > > I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)

> > > > > > > Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

> > > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/QoJeDzJ.jpg "")

> > > > > Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

> > > > Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

> >

> > The class color scheme is shown in that image through the "auras" surrounding them. Elementalist's top half is transparent. But you can see the aura around her legs, a big red blotch.

>

> Yes I'm aware which is why I said

> "Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red"

> idk what theory you're talking about when I posted it specifically to say and show that each class have always had their own colors.

Elementalist icon is red in game and in that picture so is the aura... The blue you see in the drawing is from lightning, one of it's elements...

If you're still not satisfied, i'd point you to the art on this page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

> @"Lambent.6375" said:

> Maybe it's possible for them to change the default "aura" colors that each class has, and sell it as a gemstone feature

>

> A spin off thread should be made. I have doubts they would do it, but nothing will happen if you don't ask.

>

The problem with this kind of change is that even with very specific colored effects, the game is still **very** hard to read... Imagine if we could now free form class FX. It'd be impossible to distinguish a lot of aoes from each other, also it would allow players in modes like WvW and sPvP to tweak their FX colors to make them harder to see in-game, thus harder to miss...

It's like in League of Legends where a lot of people consider some skins P2W because they make skill-shots harder to see, and thus harder to avoid, allowing this kind of change would just crank that effect up to 11.