PoF Intro Mission Impossible to Solo. What's up with the Difficulty Spike?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > @"NoiseRen.2403" said:

> > > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> > > > > > > dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > how do you even die though.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree and am not trying to be kitten about it. It almost sounds like the OP came back to GW2, used a level 80 boost and is trying to quickly get into PoF to get access to mounts without understanding their class mechanics. A lot has probably changed since s/he last played.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I recommend learning the class before diving headfirst into PoF solo.

> > > > >

> > > > > Actually I leveled this character up the normal way. I was absent from the game just prior to the drop of PoF and until a few days ago.

> > > > >

> > > > > Since it seems the mission I am stuck on it longer then I had thought, I'll try and best describe where I am stuck. After the pyramid you go to a burning village. That's where I am stuck the most. The farthest I've gotten was after the Hearld send her to attack dogs after you. At that point I got stonewalled and had to go back to Lion's Arch because I did nothing but die and my armor was entirely broken. I also end up dying a lot at the pyramid as well, but not as much probably due to the ally bot help.

> > > >

> > > > Well there is an anvil near pyramid exit and dogs don't regenerate so you can easially spam die to end this mission.

> > >

> > > Wait there is? I never saw it nor any icon on my minimap. The heck?

> > >

> > > Also here's my build, I can't seem to figure out how to show my armor setup as it seems to just use generic armor types.

> > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNApeUnUJCFggtdAOeAUthBjADTdrglnFA2g5sMHs3OCA-e

> >

> > Well someone else mentioned it, but tbh there is almost no synergy at all between your traits and the skills/weapons you have equipped. I think you would find something like this both more damaging and more survivable:

> >

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNAneRnUJCtdgVhAehA0hgBigS/ipPGwT4FWBLAigeG-jBSBwAX3fAl+AEm/Kq87xpA4m6PAeCARUCCA-e

> >

> > This gives you reduced cooldowns on your heal and phys utility, it gives you longer duration invuln from both your Endure Pain utility and your Defy Pain trait, it gives you more might generation to go with your more heals on might generation.... when you dodge you do damage, if you dodge with greatsword as the active weapon that damage gives you might if you crit, which heals you. I like the run speed boost personally, but Vengeful Return generally works better. Berserker's Stance will help protect you against conditions.... overall everything here works together more, and you can weapon swap more often so what's not to like? It's also worth noting that Toughness pretty much offers you NOTHING unless you have a lot of it. You get vitality from the banner you were using but not very much, and Dolyak stance doesn't reduce damage enough to matter against what you are fighting.

>

> While I've been able to mostly replicate what you've linked with the Build Editor, just about any of the gear I can't. Mainly due to two reasons. The needed currency and the fact I haven't leveled up my Berserker leveling yet. So all the gear I cannot do at this time. Otherwise it's been helpful. I did take someones advise here and equip a axe are the main hand with a mace in the second hand. Thoughts on that?

I think just adding in some synergy will make a surprising amount of difference for you. The gear and rune choices are mostly a suggestion, there are lots of good options available (can double down on Might Makes Right trait to increase survivability by equipping strength runes/sigil for instance). It might be also worth trying Assassin stats if they end up being cheaper, though I find often the named Zerk stats (POWER, Precision, Ferocity) are really inexpensive... for a war they would be listed on the Trade Post as "Devona's"

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > @"NoiseRen.2403" said:

> > > > > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > > @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> > > > > > > > dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > how do you even die though.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I agree and am not trying to be kitten about it. It almost sounds like the OP came back to GW2, used a level 80 boost and is trying to quickly get into PoF to get access to mounts without understanding their class mechanics. A lot has probably changed since s/he last played.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I recommend learning the class before diving headfirst into PoF solo.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Actually I leveled this character up the normal way. I was absent from the game just prior to the drop of PoF and until a few days ago.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Since it seems the mission I am stuck on it longer then I had thought, I'll try and best describe where I am stuck. After the pyramid you go to a burning village. That's where I am stuck the most. The farthest I've gotten was after the Hearld send her to attack dogs after you. At that point I got stonewalled and had to go back to Lion's Arch because I did nothing but die and my armor was entirely broken. I also end up dying a lot at the pyramid as well, but not as much probably due to the ally bot help.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well there is an anvil near pyramid exit and dogs don't regenerate so you can easially spam die to end this mission.

> > > >

> > > > Wait there is? I never saw it nor any icon on my minimap. The heck?

> > > >

> > > > Also here's my build, I can't seem to figure out how to show my armor setup as it seems to just use generic armor types.

> > > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNApeUnUJCFggtdAOeAUthBjADTdrglnFA2g5sMHs3OCA-e

> > >

> > > Well someone else mentioned it, but tbh there is almost no synergy at all between your traits and the skills/weapons you have equipped. I think you would find something like this both more damaging and more survivable:

> > >

> > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNAneRnUJCtdgVhAehA0hgBigS/ipPGwT4FWBLAigeG-jBSBwAX3fAl+AEm/Kq87xpA4m6PAeCARUCCA-e

> > >

> > > This gives you reduced cooldowns on your heal and phys utility, it gives you longer duration invuln from both your Endure Pain utility and your Defy Pain trait, it gives you more might generation to go with your more heals on might generation.... when you dodge you do damage, if you dodge with greatsword as the active weapon that damage gives you might if you crit, which heals you. I like the run speed boost personally, but Vengeful Return generally works better. Berserker's Stance will help protect you against conditions.... overall everything here works together more, and you can weapon swap more often so what's not to like? It's also worth noting that Toughness pretty much offers you NOTHING unless you have a lot of it. You get vitality from the banner you were using but not very much, and Dolyak stance doesn't reduce damage enough to matter against what you are fighting.

> >

> > While I've been able to mostly replicate what you've linked with the Build Editor, just about any of the gear I can't. Mainly due to two reasons. The needed currency and the fact I haven't leveled up my Berserker leveling yet. So all the gear I cannot do at this time. Otherwise it's been helpful. I did take someones advise here and equip a axe are the main hand with a mace in the second hand. Thoughts on that?

>

> I think just adding in some synergy will make a surprising amount of difference for you. The gear and rune choices are mostly a suggestion, there are lots of good options available (can double down on Might Makes Right trait to increase survivability by equipping strength runes/sigil for instance). It might be also worth trying Assassin stats if they end up being cheaper, though I find often the named Zerk stats (POWER, Precision, Ferocity) are really inexpensive... for a war they would be listed on the Trade Post as "Devona's"

The Devona set also includes strength runes too so that saves a bit.

Played this mission with my Condi-Warrior with Longbow and Sw/Sw. The bow's special burst-attack creates a huge fire field and all LB skills except #2 are finishers.

Regardless of build, be it condi or power, I recommend to at least wear all exotic armor, weapons and accessories. If you have problems with dmg-only gear, equip some defensive accessories instead (that increase vitality) a/o eat some buff food that does the same. Also depending on the build buy a set of 6 superior runes and put them in your armor items to get all the set boni and 4 superior sigils and put them into your weapons. You can use the gw2skills.net build constructor to browse through the various runes and sigils by clicking on the related slot.

If you want to buy items for Karma from the temple vendors in Orr just visit https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_armor to figure out who sells what kind of armor and trinkets.

That leaves you with two options:

a) get over yourself and ask for help

b) try again and again until you make it.

I suggest b) as it not only lets you behold the splendors that lie beyond the intro mission, but also teaches you something about yourself.

Of course, you can always ask for advice here or in map chat. Mostly, one is just running the wrong approach.

When I first encountered Teragriffs, they roasted me because I facetanked their trails of fire.

Once you take your time, perhaps while kiting an enemy from the distance, baiting attacks and dodging, you'll learn their patterns and eventually discover that they're mostly one trick ponies.

> Trying to run the Intro Mission of Path of Fire (Sparking the Flame), and you just...can't run it. I am a level 80 Warrior and I cannot beat it. I am getting annoyed by the fact that they made a DLC Story you are forced to run with others. I don't have many people who I can run with, so I end up playing Solo. I mean GW2 is a Solo optional game. So why did they totally break the AI and make Solo impossible. I do nothing but die, get back up, die, get back up and repeat the loop.

>

> You cannot even get past the intro mission on your own. The AI flood you and even when you had the support of the Ally AI they were pointless.

>

> Remembering why I quit the game for so long. The Devs seem intent on forcing you to not do anything Solo. About to give up again.

If you think sparking the flame is impossible to solo wait until you try some of the later stuff. I have given up doing LS chapters solo now. The difficulty spike on them .... yow!

Sparking the flame is annoying but certainly possible. I prefer doing them with a ranger so my pet can tie up the enemy while I am doing some armor repairs.

Obviously the mission is soloable as many have done so since PoF launched, and obviously telling the OP that doesn't change the fact that he is struggling to solo it :)

Definitely take the suggestions offered about looking at your build, but also keep in mind that there is a noticeable jump in difficulty with Path of Fire compared to core Tyria. If you've already completed Heart of Thorns, you're probably used to a more challenging open world, but if you've gone from core Tyria to Path of Fire, or even worse, if you boosted to 80 from core Tyria, and didn't play in the LV 70 zones (Ruins of Orr), the difficulty spike will seem huge. The good news is you'll get used to it over time.

Alright Phantom, I'm going to go into this under the assumption that you don't know anything. It's not meant as an insult, it's just simpler that to assume you know everything and work back to what you do know. So if any of this is obvious, feel free to skip it until you reach the part you're getting stuck on. This is so you can fill out the gear section in the builder.

Ingame open the Hero panel and select Equipment.

Look at your gear and mark if the border around item is Blue, Green, Yellow, or Orange. That's going to reference your quality. The build only manages two qualities, Ascended and Elite. So anything you have under Orange just assume Elite.

Don't worry about the name of the gear, the only thing that matters is which stats are represented and which ones are higher. Like Berserker is Power, Precision, Ferocity, with Power being high and Precision and Ferocity being lower. While Assassins is the same stat selection, but Precision is high and Power and Ferocity are lower.

The way the builder is designed is that the high stat is what it's sorted until, with high Power always going to the Power group.

This should allow you to find the stat groups your gear have. This is, of course, assuming they're at least high enough level to have three stats each. If not, then make your best guess, and reference the differences in quality and level when you post it again.

As far as possibly replacing gear. If you do the core daily you can get 2GP a day, which is worth a minimum of one piece of gear a day. Minimum, probably a few pieces or more. My recommendation is to PvP. It's even better if you've never PvPed. You don't need to win, you don't even need to do well. You will get 1 Daily just for participating. You may get a second daily if you manage to get a kill, or when you gain rank points at the end of the match. The third option requires you to do somewhat well, or to win. Don't worry about that. Fill in whatever you miss with the gathering daily and or the event daily. It should take very little time... unless you get especially unlucky and the gathering daily is the desert.

> > @"NoiseRen.2403" said:

> > > @"Phantoms Shadow.4512" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"FitzChevalerie.1035" said:

> > > > > dont forget to put gear and skills before going in.

> > > > >

> > > > > how do you even die though.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sorry to be the one to say it, but it's a l2p issue

> > > >

> > > > I agree and am not trying to be kitten about it. It almost sounds like the OP came back to GW2, used a level 80 boost and is trying to quickly get into PoF to get access to mounts without understanding their class mechanics. A lot has probably changed since s/he last played.

> > > >

> > > > I recommend learning the class before diving headfirst into PoF solo.

> > >

> > > Actually I leveled this character up the normal way. I was absent from the game just prior to the drop of PoF and until a few days ago.

> > >

> > > Since it seems the mission I am stuck on it longer then I had thought, I'll try and best describe where I am stuck. After the pyramid you go to a burning village. That's where I am stuck the most. The farthest I've gotten was after the Hearld send her to attack dogs after you. At that point I got stonewalled and had to go back to Lion's Arch because I did nothing but die and my armor was entirely broken. I also end up dying a lot at the pyramid as well, but not as much probably due to the ally bot help.

> >

> > Well there is an anvil near pyramid exit and dogs don't regenerate so you can easially spam die to end this mission.

>

> Wait there is? I never saw it nor any icon on my minimap. The heck?

>

> Also here's my build, I can't seem to figure out how to show my armor setup as it seems to just use generic armor types.

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNApeUnUJCFggtdAOeAUthBjADTdrglnFA2g5sMHs3OCA-e

I've got a warrior so I decided to see if I could take this build and go through the mission solo. There's meta, then there's viable. While this build isn't meta, I wanted to see is it viable.

Assumptions:

* Your gear is primarily Zerk gear given the meta before Living World Chapter 2. And players who aren't that skilled will gravitate towards ready made builds. Which are meta builds. I'm not that skilled and I gravitate towards the ready made builds.

* Your build means you probably didn't do much Fractals and you probably didn't bother too much with Ascended gear. You may have a ring or two or a piece of armor or weapon.

* Viable means able to get through the mission without taking an absurdly long time on any one part or dying too terribly often.

* Too terribly often with regards to dying is having to repair after fully damaging the armor 2 times over. AKA you have to die 12 times. There is an anvil in here or this mission would be 1 time (aka 6 deaths).

My warrior is human and not Charr, so I had to adjust the build. I have also noted what gear I had on (adjusted build below):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJEQNApeUnUJCFggtdAOeAcigBjALzB7tjgFA2g5MM1tCWeA-jBDBwAp0HE6BA85EAkwMjRlZiVS8dDAvKFkoEEn6KEVpAwRAAA-e

I did complete the mission within a reasonable time frame (under 45 minutes) and only died about 3-4 times.

For the part in the pyramid, either the mace/shied or the rifle will work. If you want to go for the achievement, I would choose rifle and try to stay max range. You'll be out of the range of her hammer attacks. I was able to get the achievement on this set up. I had messed up previously on my Elementalist. Don't worry about how slow you are taking here. She'll move on once all of the villagers are dead.

For the village part, just use the mace/shield. And move around. Don't be a tree. I do realize that that is easier said than done, especially if you were previously playing mostly Core Tyria areas. Just attack whatever is attacking you as they are really prone to moving to attacking a villager instead of you even if they were previously attacking you.

When you get to the hounds, don't focus on one dog, until one dog just seems to have a noticeable amount more missing of his health. Then focus on that hound. If you can get them to where you just pull one hound, that's even better. But that is easier said than done.

I would recommend swapping your elite. Racial skills aren't all that powerful. I personally use the Signet of Rage as I use the F1 skill often. With the mace, this F1 skill will stun. Which is useful, especially against the hounds. Even if it is just one of them. If you wait until you have all 3 levels filled, it's a 3 second stun. That reduces the damage done to you by 50% on average for 3 seconds.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > You can solo all the expansions and LW stories but it's just so frustrating. If you die, just go back and you will continue from where you left off. And if you keep dying, i suggest that you bring along a repair canister or two. Repair your gears only when four or more of your armours are broken.

> >

> > Storylines are supposed to be enjoyable and not challenging. Many has brought this up but still... sigh ANet. There are many here with top gears and thousands of hours of gameplay and they will tell you all contents are easy. Try to understand them.

>

> Theres no top gears in the game. Remember, what you get at lvl 80 is max. Ascended is only 5% better than exotic.

>

Full ascended gears, ie armour+trinkets+weapons+infusions, compared to full exotic gears bears an average difference of around 18%-20% +/- Unless you are comparing only body armours, then yes, the difference is around 4-5%.

> @"Mil.3562" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > @"Mil.3562" said:

> > > You can solo all the expansions and LW stories but it's just so frustrating. If you die, just go back and you will continue from where you left off. And if you keep dying, i suggest that you bring along a repair canister or two. Repair your gears only when four or more of your armours are broken.

> > >

> > > Storylines are supposed to be enjoyable and not challenging. Many has brought this up but still... sigh ANet. There are many here with top gears and thousands of hours of gameplay and they will tell you all contents are easy. Try to understand them.

> >

> > Theres no top gears in the game. Remember, what you get at lvl 80 is max. Ascended is only 5% better than exotic.

> >

>

> Full ascended gears, ie armour+trinkets+weapons+infusions, compared to full exotic gears bears an average difference of around 18%-20% +/- Unless you are comparing only body armours, then yes, the difference is around 4-5%.

Unless something has changed drastically, the average difference with full ascended and full infusions to exotics is only 11%.

> @"Mil.3562" said:

> Full ascended gears, ie armour+trinkets+weapons+infusions, compared to full exotic gears bears an average difference of around 18%-20% +/- Unless you are comparing only body armours, then yes, the difference is around 4-5%.

“A full ascended berserker set gives you a **12.5%** increase in damage over a full exotic berserker gear set with power omni infusions. This is the maximum increase in damage obtainable with ascended gear. The ascended weapon gives the biggest increase for an individual item at 5.9%. Ascended armor only increases damage by 1.8% over exotic if you already have ascended back, trinkets and weapon.”

Basically, get your weapons and trinkets first. They’re the bigger changes for more damage output.

Easy, guys. Here's the situation: the OP is a very "casual" returning player - the sort who really isn't interested in deep-diving into game mechanics. Thus his knowledge level is very basic at this point, essentially on the level of a new player.

I met up with him last night and we did some story and open world. He didn't boost and had very little gold, so his gear was a mix of random stats in anywhere from greens to exotics.

Given that piece of information along with the build he shared, you can understand why he was struggling.

Now that he's using full exotic and a more coherent build, I think it should be relatively smooth sailing from here.

@OP I know what you are talking about. First time I did that mission I failed miserably for hours and hours. I had to ask two guys that I know to come help me with it. ANet doens't understand that this is not raids!!! This is story content that's meant to be enjoyed by everyone but the difficulty is just above the sky. I bought this game to enjoy a nice story, not to lose hours and hours on a single mob in a story instance! This is beyond unacceptable!

> @"Nafets.1238" said:

> ANet doens't understand that this is not raids!!! This is story content that's meant to be enjoyed by everyone but the difficulty is just above the sky. I bought this game to enjoy a nice story, not to lose hours and hours on a single mob in a story instance! This is beyond unacceptable!

I have heard this argument in this game many times, and I readed it for years in the previous game. First: story missions in this game are definitely not even close the difficulty of group content. Second: in previous game, I have witnessed what happens when story/landscape content is watered down to braindead easy. You need to ask, why are you playing a game, if you don't want to know how the game works? You were after mounts? You were after to see what happens to story related people? There are other games which are very much story related without any noticeable game mechanics engine running in background. You don't have to do anything but play the story. This game - as many other more well-known MMOs - is different: they are fighting games in first hand: you fight to get your rewards, they are not placed in your hands w/o trying to satisfy the game mechanics engine by killing the mobs that guard your reward (being it some loot, progression in story, mounts, cosmetics, legendaries, gold, ...).

Don't you dare to suggest ANet to water down the landscape or story content. It will not lead in anything good. It will only satisfy people who right from the beginning are not even remotely interested in the game, and will anyways abandon the game, either because it is too hard for them, or will loose interest right after they get to see the end of story. Bad thing is, that if you water down the content, not only those people leave, but also the ones that were interested and dedicated enough to put some effort to learn the game mechanics.

> @"Nafets.1238" said:

> @OP I know what you are talking about. First time I did that mission I failed miserably for hours and hours. I had to ask two guys that I know to come help me with it. ANet doens't understand that this is not raids!!! This is story content that's meant to be enjoyed by everyone but the difficulty is just above the sky. I bought this game to enjoy a nice story, not to lose hours and hours on a single mob in a story instance! This is beyond unacceptable!

If all you want to do is watch a movie, then go watch a movie. I paid to play a game.

> @"ShadowDove.8329" said:

> @"AliamRationem.5172" Thanks for helping OP out, it's nice to know that his problem is mostly solved and he should be able to handle PoF fairly well from here on :)

Community is one of the best features of this game, but it starts with each of us. We can disagree, as I do (strongly!) with the tone and content of the original complaint, but that doesn't mean we can't come together and help each other out. As I told the OP, it will be worth it if he's able to get through this and ends up sticking around and enjoying his time in GW2.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Nafets.1238" said:

> > @OP I know what you are talking about. First time I did that mission I failed miserably for hours and hours. I had to ask two guys that I know to come help me with it. ANet doens't understand that this is not raids!!! This is story content that's meant to be enjoyed by everyone but the difficulty is just above the sky. I bought this game to enjoy a nice story, not to lose hours and hours on a single mob in a story instance! This is beyond unacceptable!

>

> If all you want to do is watch a movie, then go watch a movie. I paid to play a game.

I am a very casual player and I was able to run this instance with my ranger, necro, elementalist and engineer (with the engi being the most difficult for some reason?). Yeah, I died a few times but I didn't find it overly difficult especially if I didn't rush things. Found I had to use the repair anvil a few times as well.

I'm glad that the OP got some help, but I maintain that this appeared to be more like someone who returned to the game and insta-boosted to get into PoF for mounts without taking the time to learn the mechanics of the profession and the enemy AI which has dramatically changed in his/her absence. It is a learn to play issue (not trying to be kitten about it).

I hope that ANet doesn't change/nerf this content. In my opinion, the challenge level is adequate.

> @"shejesa.3712" said:

> Heh, buddy, I usually don't reply to threads, I just laugh from the shadows. But you made my day. You seem kinda entitled, that's probably why you see the community as 'toxic'. They're not toxic, they've probably just told you the truth that's not nice for your snowflake mind. But, since I don't want to only laugh, here's a few tips for you. ofc everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Or a bad, depends on you, idc.

> 1. git gud. I mean, seriously. This game has meta. Meta is full dps in most cases cuz there's something like dodge. Use dodge

> 2. don't stay in red circles. In many situations red or orange is bad. Even in real life, if you see a red shroom, don't eat it.

> 3. think a bit, AI in PoF isn't the same AI as in HoT and Core.

> 4. this game doesn't force you to play with people. Unless it's meta events, GROUP events, or 5/10 men content. If you struggle it's because of above points or your gear. Don't run in greens. Exotics are a must, else you're going to struggle cuz you don't have damage. With a proper gear you can just put some aoe damage and dodge.

> 5. Read your traits for a change, take babysteps. You won't do a thing in endgame, except for crying for being kicked for running green gear and having no idea about your class. Get an overall idea of what your skills do, each of them has a window with explainations. So do traits. It's not something you pick at random and hope for best.

>

>

> TL;DR you suck, get to know what you're doing instead of crying that the game is too hard.

>

I would have put it more diplomatically, but you aren't wrong. Running random stat greens and having no knowledge of basic mechanics (e.g. standing in orange circles, not using the dodge mechanic, not knowing what your skills do, etc.) is exactly what was holding the OP back. Knowledge of the mechanics will come with practice, but simply equipping appropriate gear and build resulted in an instant and dramatic increase in his ability to survive.