GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > @"Blademaster.6123" said:

> > Mo, You can't let the community get away with this. The community is just as guilty here, don't bend to their will.

>

> Well said, witch hunts are witch hunts.

Right On!!! And it seems the hunt will now continue sadly (if others have their way). Hopefully they will close all the threads and lock them away before it gets carried away even more.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mike O Brien.4613" said:

> Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

>

> I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

>

> Mo

Sad person looses job over a tweet... I just wonder how many people here would still have their jobs if that standard was applied to themselves.

> Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

>

> I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

>

> Mo

This is how a response is done, plain and forward. Thank you for showing your dedication to the brand you've poured your life over. We'll back you up just as you have backed us up.

> @"Blademaster.6123" said:

> Mo, You can't let the community get away with this. The community is just as guilty here, don't bend to their will.

Then please point directly at the first person. I'm sure you'll gladly throw the first rock.

You're questioning anets integrity as a whole. They would have lost a lot if they let this one slide. There is no excusing it.

And I can say that while STILL not agreeing with the people going directly after her, saying she has a mental disorder, saying she is a disgraceful human being etc. Personal attacks don't belong in that type of discussion but they happen when you have SO MANY different people with different opinions, different moods, different outrage.

JP's tone and antagonistic diatribe against Deroir and Inks were absolutely inexcusable. You cannot verbally attack someone for voicing a difference of opinion. I doubt she'll learn from this life event, if anything she'll think this was an attack on her gender.

Regardless, good move by ArenaNet. You cannot employ people that willingly go to attack upstanding members of your community, people that vouch and bring players into the game.

This wouldn't have happened if ANet employees were restricted to official forums when posting about Guild Wars and their posts had a chance to get reviewed before going live. I know many don't like this but companies have to be careful because one wrong move can destroy their business. If they were restricted an employee's bad day would never have escalated into the loss of their jobs and ANet loosing valuable employees.

> @"salt.6759" said:

> I'm pretty surprised Peter Fries got fired as well. He was polite during the whole exchange from what I saw. I wonder if they were looking for a reason to get rid of him anyway and this was just an excuse. Going forward I think the game devs will be much less open with the player base for fear of losing their jobs.

Why?

There is nothing wrong with being open. JP's initial post about the writing process for the commander is an excellent post. There's nothing wrong with it. Her conduct in her replies to Deroir, however, are. And those comments have nothing to do with being open. It's conduct, behavior. And that is what got her fired. Not her initial post about the writing process. Please don't get things mixed up. It misrepresents the entire situation to people who are less informed on the current situation than others (and I've seen quite a few responses already that clearly show a lack of knowledge about what has been going on).

I'm sure most of ANet's employees have no problem being polite. And I'm sure they also know that the information part of JP's posts was not the problem to begin with, nor do I see them suddenly withholding information for fear of being fired. Then again, there's no way to know that for sure since we can't play both scenarios against each other to see what happens, can we? Just have a little faith.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > @"Mike O Brien.4613" said:

> > Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

> >

> > I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

> >

> > Mo

>

> Sad person looses job over a tweet... I just wonder how many people here would still have their jobs if that standard was applied to themselves.

I'm sure this is only the beginning. Have seen a few threads already of people "bringing attention" to other alleged Devs. Some allegedly faked? Not entirely clear at this point.

> @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > > @"Blademaster.6123" said:

> > > Mo, You can't let the community get away with this. The community is just as guilty here, don't bend to their will.

> >

> > Well said, witch hunts are witch hunts.

>

> Right On!!! And it seems the hunt will now continue sadly (if others have their way). Hopefully they will close all the threads and lock them away before it gets even more carried away.

> @"Morg.5986" said:

> > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > Seriously????? LOL ok whatever just quit stirring up people with old stuff keeping the argument going for no reason. What's done is done and ANET served the justice they felt was needed. Let it go now and be one with the force.

> *stares wearily* Please go away.

>

> @"VCRwolfe.6452" said:

> i am not comfortable with the swift axing of peter fries either. from my perspective, it looks much more like an attempt at covering up liability as opposed to any actual addressing of jessica price's behavior. whereas jessica has had a short history with anet and a long history of aggression and rudeness to not just gw2 community members, but social media in general; peter has had such a long positive standing with the company AND community that it was shocking to see him fired along with her for what was minimal involvement compared to jessica.

>

> i do not agree with jessica's behavior, her rudeness towards others. however i do not agree with sweeping it under the rug without any sort of proper addressing, or even apology for her actions. i do not agree with peter being thrown in with her to be fired when he had not so much as even a handful of tweets interaction and involvement.

>

> and lastly i do not agree with the toxicity i am seeing from the community as well, the sheer _viciousness_ im seeing from other players here is frankly appalling, as if this was some sort of gleeful anti-feminist witch hunt for them rather than dealing with _one_ problematic employee. as someone who is a minority in many ways including race and gender, it makes me feel unsafe as a player of this game even more so than arenanet's decision to let go of JP and PF in response to JP's actions

I also agree that the termination of Peter Fries was interesting to say the least from what we currently and probably ever will know.

But I just felt like I had to say that if you want to convince members of this community about something wrong of their actions, that it might be best to frame it in a more tasteful manner. Saying that this incident has made you feel unsafe from being a minority in many ways isn't going to sit well with the players as it comes across as if many are needlessly hostile towards those of a different race/gender/etc. when they sincerely aren't. If anything this community as a whole is one of the most friendliest and more welcoming communities that I've seen out there when compared to almost every other online gaming environment, I'd even go so far to say that you're bound to find more unfriendly people on something like Hello Kitty Online compared to Guild Wars 2.

WvW players are a different story though, but they have a reason to be really salty most of the time.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

> >

> > I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

> >

> > Mo

>

> Sad person looses job over a tweet... I just wonder how many people here would still have their jobs if that standard was applied to themselves.

No offense but it's clear you don't know what this type of idiocy can do to the image of a company. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I work for a big corporation as well, if I start to get into fights with customers or potential customers on social media where I clearly state I work for said company, I do represent this company in these silly fights. I'd be out on my rear end before you could sneeze, I promise you that. No one is saying that people can't vent their frustration or have their own opinion about things, but you can NOT do that while you're representing a private enterprise. The story would be totally different if said devs didn't advertise their employer's name in the open like that.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> I dont believe Peter deserved to be fired because e tried to defend his co-worker. He didnt call names or anything and he engaged in discussion rather than going in a blocking spree.

>

> I suggest that his case is revisited.

> @"morrolan.9608" said:

> Whilst I understand your position with Jessica Price I think Peter fries being sacked is rather ridiculous. He didn't 'attack' anyone he merely supported Jessica Price and rather mildly at that.

> @"lkilian.1854" said:

> I understand JPrice getting fired. She was just disrespectful. But Peter Fries? Really?

Yes, really.

Peter could have been the one to help the situation more than anyone else. He also made a careless choice as JP did. He chose to take a side, support JP's response, and put down a player. I was hoping it could be rectified with an explanation and an apology from the two, but whether it was a difficult or expected decision, it ultimately became a necessary one.

We've lost two good writers from the team, but this can lead to growth for the game and hopefully those two writers for the future.

> @"OrbitalButt.5708" said:

> > @"saerni.2584" said:

> > Disappointing. As a practical matter it was likely the only option from a business perspective.

> >

> > But, I’m sad to see a woman in game development brought down by cries of misandry and reverse-racism. It’s not a good look to wear. It’s another Gamer-gate.

>

> She got brought down for a pattern of behavior stretching back to the dawn of Twitter and dancing on the grave of a dead cancer victim

>

> [Atari Teenage Riot voice] NO REMORSE

This 1000x. Thanks A.net and O'Brien, you made the right choice.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> >

> >

> > Mo

>

To be fair, if it was one tweet, it probably would not have led to this. This was a series of tweets and once Reddit "investigates" it you're going to be hella scrutinized.

Many people have lost their jobs for saying stuff on social media, this is not a new concept. Jobs specifically have social media training courses and the like to prevent stuff like today.

Today was the result of one dev going too far on Twitter one too many times against the wrong person and it getting blown to a level that could not be ignored. You can't blame the internet for that, there needs to be some personal responsibility there.

Many games have CMs that have their own personal twitter accounts and there is no issue. It's only an issue if you don't know boundaries. She had the option to not reply, to not talk about work related things, to make it a personal only twitter, and a lot of other options. You don't get the option of taking a work-related topic (from a on-the-clock AMA) to Twitter, get negative feedback, saying whatever you want to the person, and then defending it as "it's my personal account".

> @"Xenash.1245" said:

> I also agree that the termination of Peter Fries was interesting to say the least from what we currently and probably ever will know.

>

> But I just felt like I had to say that if you want to convince members of this community about something wrong of their actions, that it might be best to frame it in a more tasteful manner. Saying that this incident has made you feel unsafe from being a minority in many ways isn't going to sit well with the players as it comes across as if many are needlessly hostile towards those of a different race/gender/etc. when they sincerely aren't. If anything this community as a whole is one of the most friendliest and more welcoming communities that I've seen out there when compared to almost every other online gaming environment, I'd even go so far to say that you're bound to find more unfriendly people on something like Hello Kitty Online compared to Guild Wars 2.

>

> WvW players are a different story though, but they have a reason to be really salty most of the time.

oh trust me, ive played other games! while its great that this one has been the most welcoming ive seen in a long time, there is still the issue of those who are generally hateful to minorities. the gw2 community isnt free of them either and its something i can sadly attest to having played this game for a few years now. i am not saying this in any hostility, its simply the sad reality of gaming communities and the pushback experienced by minorities in them. even just looking at the subreddit has been super uncomfortable today, people decrying that social justice is ruining their game and they wont play it anymore when really, this issue is just about JP's sour behavior and not any sort of feminist agenda anet was pushing

when it comes to Peter, in the end we dont know what went down behind closed doors.

-Maybe they did just up and fired him.

-Maybe they were looking for an excuse to axe him

-Maybe he threatened to leave if they fired JP

-Maybe there was some internal drama caused by this whole mess that led to his firing.

All we know is the two were fired. We aren't Arenanet so we dont know the exact exact reasoning why Peter was

There are many of us who will still be playing the game regardless of the witch hunts and old posts and hurt feelings etc. And speaking out against the hunts every time, until the silly hunters give up. I'm so glad I'm not a thin skinned person cos if I was i'd be crying into my pillow every night cos I get called bruh, bro, dude, boi at least 3x a day and many are guilty of using THOSE words (sexism according to forum followers) yet like other females choose to ignore it and play the game. ROFL GAME ON

> @"will de grijze jager.6594" said:

> > @"saerni.2584" said:

> > Disappointing. As a practical matter it was likely the only option from a business perspective.

> >

> > But, I’m sad to see a woman in game development brought down by cries of misandry and reverse-racism. It’s not a good look to wear. It’s another Gamer-gate.

>

> Ever heard of who cares that someone is a guy or a girl if they do their jobe it is fine. who cares if someone is a girl of boy it is the person that matters not the race gender or what ever. If a person is not nice it doesn't matter that the person is. It is called looking at the person not there race gender or what ever.

Representation matters. And the number of posts that were explicitly and implicitly sexist were pretty high. I’m not saying she shouldn’t have lost her job given the uproar. I’m saying that in the rush to judgment by the community context was lost and a number of people called for her head using language that originated in the alt-right.

No, not everyone supporting her firing is alt right. That’s not the point. The point is that alt right discourse is being normalized. As a minority in some contexts this is incredibly discouraging to me. How should I respond to that?

When the mob wins it wants more. Who will it come for next?

I'm sorry to hear that she was ultimately let go; I hope that this can be a positive learning experience for her to help her grow and flourish into a much more successful career down the road.

It's unfortunate, but it puts a major strain on a company when employees publicly make hateful comments towards others based upon gender, race, nationality or religion. Please people: learn from this. If you ever feel the need to attack someone based on one of those attributes, don't do it. If not for the fact that it will make you a better person to not do it, then at least for the fact that you will probably put your career and future on the line by doing so. Be respectful in your replies and discussions, and accept that not everyone will agree with you. If you can do that, you'll go really far.

I wish both of them the best, and I really hope that this is a turning point for her. Some of the things she said on her twitter were just horrible, but that doesn't mean that SHE is a horrible person who doesn't deserve a chance to change. She's worked at a great company, likely now has a strong resume, and this can be just a bump in the road to one day being the CEO of some big game company where she can teach the same lesson to the next generation.

Sorry for your losses, ANet team.

I am very sad to see this all happen, but I feel Anet made the correct decision.

Many companies, including mine, have established social media policies stating that any discussion of, or disagreement with, a client, partner, vendor, fellow employee, or the company in general is banned (excluding approved marketing). This includes personal social media accounts. Even a long-standing employee would be fired for having a public disagreement with a client, even if the client initiated the argument.

As for Mr. Fries, I feel he wanted to defend his coworker but he made the mistake of joining in the social media discussion.

It's sad to see anyone fired, but Anet has the right to expect certain standards of behavior from their employees.

>

>

> Mo

Can I give a thumbs down for yet another company that encourages employees to be open and honest and then punishes them for it? Send her to some training, fuck, but this basically blacklists her forever and ever. Good job proving her point, I guess.

> @"will de grijze jager.6594" said:

> > @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> > > @"Mel.8734" said:

> > > > @"Mike O Brien.4613" said:

> > > > Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

> > > >

> > > > I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

> > > >

> > > > Mo

> > >

> > > Please also take a good look at this employe:

> > > https://i.imgur.com/vXbH8BN.png

> >

> > Oh so there's MORE of these kinds of people in Anet's employment. Starting to think the company of full of them.

>

> You mean kitten types?

please give me a break, they are and have always been located in seattle. You can easily follow the entire team on social media, it is really hard to pretend to say you don't know who and what they are and believe in. They are allowed their personal beliefs, and that should not matter and has no place in a fantasy game.

There is a gigantic and massive difference between personal beliefs and attacking fans in a game that has a long standing tradition of always wanting the entire community to always give feedback, criticism, and interaction, both in game and out. The community has members that have added just as much to the game as actual Anet employees, because that is what Anet has wanted and that is the community they have cultivated from the very beginning of GW1. Has zero to do with beliefs and everything to do with actions.