Mesmer Changes 7/10/18

EpicTurtle.8571

> @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> EM is just the cherry on top of the major systemic issues Mirage has.

See, I would have come to that conclusion at the part where a spec called "Mirage" is about throwing axes, dodging and applying loads of damage.

Not about, you know... illusions... fake imagery... misleading... **mirages**. The whole spec should at least be renamed to, I dunno, Tormentor or something.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"DeceiverX.8361" said:

> > EM is just the cherry on top of the major systemic issues Mirage has.

>

> See, I would have come to that conclusion at the part where a spec called "Mirage" is about throwing axes, dodging and applying loads of damage.

>

> Not about, you know... illusions... fake imagery... misleading... **mirages**. The whole spec should at least be renamed to, I dunno, Tormentor or something.

It is about all of that: throwing axes, dodging while applying *loads* of damage, illusions, fake imagery, and misleading. It does all of that really well. Tormentor Mirage should be the same.

Blurred frenzy wasn't nerfed. It was changed. The reduction in cd allows the mesmer to have more opportunities to dodge attacks while the dodge window becomes shorter. It raises the skill ceiling. The damage reduction really gets negated by the cd reduction too. The shortened animation time means that more hits will land before a target dodges away. What is everybody talking about?

At least they gave an explanation about their vision for the mirage spec in the patch notes, which is "do not get caught". Personally I think this sucks as I don't want a second daredevil-like spec in the game.

But it's possible to balance an uncatchable spec: you just have to weaken the spec to a level where it is useless in 1v1 and only viable for +1.

Otherwise it's just killing the fun of others. I hope they have learned that in the last few years.

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> I just wanted to express my dislike for the **Blurred Frenzy** nerf.

>

> I'd also like to express my disgust for mirages in PvE that carry *Jaunt* instead of Signet of Humility versus bosses such as the ones on Legendary Bounty trains.

>

While signet of humility is a large burst CC, its cooldown makes it pretty weak for any fight lasting more than one breakbar. Do the math. I could use a utility like arcane thievery as much as 9 times as often, applying up to 72 seconds of slow, making it worth as much as 3.6 times the breakbar damage of signet of humility. I can also bring signet of domination, which is still worth more than signet of humility when you take into account the cooldown. So, am I really holding you back? I mean how much CC do you want? Are any other classes bringing 6 sources of CC to the table?

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > I just wanted to express my dislike for the **Blurred Frenzy** nerf.

> >

> > I'd also like to express my disgust for mirages in PvE that carry *Jaunt* instead of Signet of Humility versus bosses such as the ones on Legendary Bounty trains.

> >

>

> While signet of humility is a large burst CC, its cooldown makes it pretty weak for any fight lasting more than one breakbar. Do the math. I could use a utility like arcane thievery as much as 9 times as often, applying up to 72 seconds of slow, making it worth as much as 3.6 times the breakbar damage of signet of humility. I can also bring signet of domination, which is still worth more than signet of humility when you take into account the cooldown. So, am I really holding you back? I mean how much CC do you want? Are any other classes bringing 6 sources of CC to the table?

Power Chrono :angry:

Diversion, Illusionary Risposte, Into the Void, Phantasmal Defender, Gravity Well (uh.... okay 5 options)

> @"Miroe.2054" said:

> Blurred frenzy wasn't nerfed. It was changed. The reduction in cd allows the mesmer to have more opportunities to dodge attacks while the dodge window becomes shorter. It raises the skill ceiling. The damage reduction really gets negated by the cd reduction too. The shortened animation time means that more hits will land before a target dodges away. What is everybody talking about?

That's how I've feel. I never really needed such a long evasion window unless I was just trying to waste time or hedging my bets that a burst was incoming. The reduced animation time also means it's viable as a burst and adds a significant amount of damage. In the past the opponent had to be CC'd in some way to land the full damage (assuming they weren't morons) but now it's much harder to avoid.

In addition it fits my sigil of energy weapon swaps better now as I don't feel like I'm losing time by waiting for the cooldown to use it again, especially untraited. It gets a big thumbs up from me from a WvW perspective. The nerf to Jaunt on the other hand is pretty excessive and really changes the Mirage tempo, which I'm not a fan of.

> @"Refia Montes.3205" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > > @"Infusion.7149" said:

> > > I just wanted to express my dislike for the **Blurred Frenzy** nerf.

> > >

> > > I'd also like to express my disgust for mirages in PvE that carry *Jaunt* instead of Signet of Humility versus bosses such as the ones on Legendary Bounty trains.

> > >

> >

> > While signet of humility is a large burst CC, its cooldown makes it pretty weak for any fight lasting more than one breakbar. Do the math. I could use a utility like arcane thievery as much as 9 times as often, applying up to 72 seconds of slow, making it worth as much as 3.6 times the breakbar damage of signet of humility. I can also bring signet of domination, which is still worth more than signet of humility when you take into account the cooldown. So, am I really holding you back? I mean how much CC do you want? Are any other classes bringing 6 sources of CC to the table?

>

> Power Chrono :angry:

> Diversion, Illusionary Risposte, Into the Void, Phantasmal Defender, Gravity Well (uh.... okay 5 options)

>

It makes a lot more sense for chrono, since not only do they not have jaunt but they can double up on signet of humility with CS. Mirage can bring quite a bit of CC to the table without signet of humility. It's obviously a huge CC, but against any boss it's not that great because the cooldown is excessively long.

> @"RabbitUp.8294" said:

> Few cc are longer than a second, and most if not all of those are telegraphed, so you can evade them before they land. Then it becomes an issue of l2p, with EM lowering the skill floor at the price of exhaustion. Mirage Cloak by default also lets you dodge while immobilised, which you can only get rid of with condi cleanse, and is otherwise a counter to dodging.

Only few? 17 stuns are at least 2s, the majority of knockdown are 2-3s, pulls and launches can easily have more than 1s of effectiveness with their distance and fear can be very easily extended beyond 1s.

That apart the fact mesmer is one of the professions with less amount of heavy CC application, so it makes sense being good at countering it, together with its theme and specially the Mirage theme.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> Do mesmer really needed damage nerf in PvE?

On mesmer rework i think it was when they pumped up the dmg of blurred frenzy by a significant margin. It still does more dmg than on HoT times i think but is not as potent as it was before.

Mesmer still performs well in PvE so bringing it in line is not that bad overall because Mes still get there plays as DPS and support or tank.