Changing ur thoughts...

Depends on what they write. Reviews do influence me, but entirely dependant on where their concerns/praise focuses on. I certainly don't take one person's view though - I always try and find a variety of them. If I'm already playing the game though, then I already know my thoughts and that is unlikely to change until I experience something in game to change it.

If this is anything to do with the twitter exchange however, no such a thing would never influence my thoughts about a game. Nor should it for anyone since it is irrelevant to the game itself

I tend to often disagree with reviews. Usually I like games that get mediocre/poor scores, and dislike games that are rated high. This isn't always the case, but has happened often enough that I don't rely my buying decisions on reviews.

I do, however, read them, for insight about games I'm interested in or just for passing time. Especially reviews of games I already own or like; positive or negative, they tend to point out things about the story or gameplay I might have otherwise missed.

Rarely. I believe that when we talk "games", most of the feedback - if not all of them - are personal opinions that are strongly depending on player's own criteria of what is fun/nice/good. Expectations at game content and opinions about it are therefore almost only a matter of taste and way to play. To tell that something is boring or interesting, too hard or too easy, too long or too short, and so on... No matter how good is the argumentation, it is a personal feeling, and from there, either we agree or disagree depending on own feelings.

A case I could imagine where the feedback of someone else could make me change my mind is if I have a "fake" opinion about something, as in an opinion made of what others told me, but that I have not experienced myself. In that case, reading a thread in a forum that talks positive about could wake up my interest and make me try it to see with my own eyes. After that, of course, my opinion could change. But generally, I avoid to have an opinion on things I don't know by myself.

I have an example though, where I did just that! :D ArcDPS. Long time I had very negative opinion about it just due to all the negative I heard, it until I saw it working and discover how helpful it is. Now I have completely changed my mind about it. :3

> @"mikeeens.3542" said:

> Does it change ur thoughts about game/games when u see and read that someone post something bad/good about game?

Depends...

I mean if it's liable to influence the game, yes, if it isn't, not really. Also depends on the seriousness.

Concerning the recent incident, her saying that she "doesn't need to pretend to like us on her free time" would pose some concern if entirely ignored by Arena Net (not saying she should or shouldn't be fired, i don't have enough inside knowledge to know that), because Arena Net not addressing that sentiment that Devs only pretend to care or respect the community would be disheartening, and would definitely drive me away.

Otherwise, her identity politics mentality wouldn't likely change the tone of the narrative, the game has always been very progressive, of the 3 hinted or explicit romances between main characters two of them were lesbian (well Caithe and Faolain is weird since they're probably asexual, although exhibit feminine traits) the only hetero romance is a closet one between Jenna and Logan. GW2 has a Trans NPC, and some trans devs. Overall the company is very progressive, and isn't shy to show it, so Price wouldn't sway that.

As long as the quality is good, and the antagonistic nature of the decisions is not overtly explicit, terrible, or game influencing, i don't care much about the thoughts of people that i don't know and don't interact with.

It can do, but it depends on a lot of factors. Sometimes I've been convinced to buy a game I'd never seen or heard of just because someone told me I'd like it - but that's because it's someone I know who I trust to understand the kind of games I like. (Also in some cases I'm going back a good few years - when seeing a game being played meant knowing someone who had it and going to their house to watch and reading about it meant buying a magazine with a review - so you were a lot more reliant on recommendations from friends to find new games.) But even now if my brother tells me I should buy a game because I'd like it I'll at least check it out online. (My husband tries that too, but then the answer is "well you buy it and I'll play your copy.")

I will often read reviews before buying a product (and that goes for most things, not just games) but I won't go off just how many people say it's good or bad - I want to know specifically what they like and don't like. Someone else's reasons for hating a game might be my reasons for wanting to play it. Or it might just be totally irrelevant. For example I wouldn't be put off an MMO because of people complaining about lag and disconnects because I see lots of people complaining about that with both the ones I play and it almost never happens to me. No idea if that's my computer or my internet connection or where in the world I happen to live, but whatever the reason I know from experience that just because the forum is full of people complaining that they can't stay connected for more than 2 minutes doesn't mean I'll ever have that problem.

> @"mikeeens.3542" said:

> Does it change ur thoughts about game/games when u see and read that someone post something bad/good about game?

It depends. I was kinda influenced by the bad press surrounding Bless Online, but since it was a buy to play game, I had no reason to really distrust the media. On the other hand, big games like WoW, GW2, Runescape, I will never stop playing unless there are some major performance issues. Other than that, I don't really give a rats kitten about what any publisher or news article has to say about a game. If it's a fun game, with either unique or enjoyable systems, I see no reason why some rando kittenhat has to say about it.

> @"KeoLegend.5132" said:

> Yes it does. Before playing a game i ALWAYS read reviews and go to their forums to see the most common complaints

But I would also take these with a grain of salt.... especially in the case of youtubers, game reviewers, and rando comments. You have to be able to recognize slants in preference to get a frame of reference, as those often get confused as objective rating of something. Theres also an issue of lack of depth in commentary, due to the rapid fire/breakneck pace reviewers tend to run by in order to beat others to the punch. This spring boards into a whole list of other things I won't go into fully (because its a rabbit hole, like so many things surrounding game discussion now days), but put in the simplest terms possible: game reviews are effectively useless, but utterly necessary. And this dissonance stems heavily from there being no good frame of reference, sometimes not even within a genre, that will function the way we're assuming a game review does.

I have this sad running joke where players complain about things being too bland, or generic, or plays into some agenda, and things should be exciting and challenging...... but when any hint of challenge to either their abilities, their beliefs, or even discussing concepts, the collective of the player base will loudly decry it. Individuals become outliers, and everything devolves into an "Us vs Them" mentality. Even games that are genuinely profound immediately get torn apart or ridiculed, and its fans marginalized as harshly as possible. The idiocy of the internet at its strongest. Politics as Tribalism, as I once saw someone put it, for anything and everything.

So it raises the question of how do you separate these things, or even if you should. There exists a long history of Corporations using their status as a collective to shield themselves from the negatives of their actions, but try to self promote their perceived positives as if they were an individual. This goes hand in hand with the discussion of people getting fired for having an opinion. And regardless of what that opinion is, the pubic is completely unable to separate an expression of opinion as a reflection of professionalism. But whats worries me is that the perceived "professional" has no opinion, does their job, and acts to the benefit of "me" (where Me represent "me" personally, not Me as in the collective consumer base, a work group, or circle).

Case in point..... Jeremy Soule, known as one of the best composers working in the game industry. The guy has very publicly godwin'd music piracy, and shows substantial contempt for his audience and critics alike. And yet there was this whole fiasco with the GW2 soundtrack from collectors editions of the game (which is distributed separately by his company), the aggressive DRM for downloaded versions of GW1 soundtrack (which is also distributed by his), and his refusal the majority of his work released under any other platform then his own...... that he blows off as being as if it never happened.

As much as I love the music he composes, how can you actively reward a person for behavior thats productive and beneficial, and punish behavior which isn't, when the 2 things are intrinsically interwoven? Apply this idea to a Corporate level, and it aptly describes the issue we have with AAA publishers, especially EA and Activision, who have absorbed competition to systematically dismantle them. EA's graveyard is an ever growing reminder of this....... But at the same time, destroying EA wouldn't solve the problem. And thus the consumers are both the victims and proprietors of the state of the industry. Ever deeper does the Rabbit hole go.

When considering a game, I will look at reviews. I look not for the opinions (good or bad) but for the facts attached to the "whys" behind the opinion. I use the facts to form my own opinion. If a review is sparse on facts, or if the facts I am most interested in learning are not presented, I look for another source.

When shopping for games I look at web reviews, video reviews and watch videos that are just game play without being a review of sorts. That's how I found GW2. I did a search for best MMO or something like that and GW2 showed up on a few lists. Then I searched for more information about GW2. Had I just looked at the first few Google links related to GW2 game play I may not have even bought it as some of those articles and videos I first ran across were not that positive (I think that was around the time ascended was released and the complaints about gear grind) and the ones that were positive seemed to have affiliate links attached. I don't really trust reviews on products when they make money if I follow the link and buy it. Digging deeper I found more articles, blog posts and videos from what seemed to be regular every day players and appeared to be a bit more honest, without some agenda, no affiliate link or click baiting titles. The game from what I felt was the "average person's" point of view with no particular agenda looked fun to me. After keeping in mind the various thoughts on the game from many sources both good and bad I bought it.

Depends on context, I generally ignore reviews that have been influenced by money. Some good games have been labelled as "good" when they aren't. Reviewers also tend to forget to talk about how games are monetized, doesn't matter if a game is fairly good when the monetization method is bad enough it ruins the game.

For opinions I turn to my gamer friends who have a good grasp of game design and story. But in any pending MMO I will check its site and any reviews to find out a crucial thing: Does it have unavoidable open world non-consensual PvP. If yes, I stop paying attention and know I won't be buying or playing. (Avoidable would be, eg, having only designated servers that allow ganking. It does not include failing to max level because at max everyone can attack you, or avoiding huge sections of the world map).

I also will check a wide spread of reviews if I'm seriously interested in a game. The possibility of unfair bias for/against from just one source is too high. Bonus points to games that offer early trials and gameplay videos. One thing that hooked me on GW2 was that once my GW1 playing friend convinced me to take a look, I could see some amazing demo videos of character professions, see people playing alpha versions at conventions, and then engage in the beta weekends myself. So I had a combination of friends, factual reviews, and personal testing to tell me I really was going to like the game, and it all panned out.

Ur thoughts cannot be changed. Being thoughts beyond Thought means they are in constant existential flux, ever-changing moment to moment. Even if it were possible, any influence from an outside source will be just as chaotic as if it never happened, and instantly overwritten.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> Ur thoughts cannot be changed. Being thoughts beyond Thought means they are in constant existential flux, ever-changing moment to moment. Even if it were possible, any influence from an outside source will be just as chaotic as if it never happened, and instantly overwritten.

I love you so much right now and I don't even know you.