Collections are the worst thing in this game

> @"Nilson.9865" said:

> Disagree with OP. That's the point, you have to do them by yourself, without video. Communicate with people, use your own experience. You know, when you did map completion like 2+ times, you think you've known everything. you've seen everything but collections prove that you are wrong. Solve a little riddle, kill some champions, find place from discription/dialouge then find item on that location ... classic. This is what we've been doing, since GW2 release. Welcome to MMORPG, ~~greenhorn~~ sapling.

I did zero map completions. Beat the story in 2012 and never replayed it. Didn't complete any of the expansions. The last LS i did was LS1, and that was for like an hour, never beat it. All of this is fluffy content without any meaningful rewards.

What i want from pve is challenging, non time gated group content, not solve riddles. Riddles is something that fits a solo rpg such as The Witcher 3, not an mmo.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > >

> > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > >

> > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> >

> > MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

>

> That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

> @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > > >

> > > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > > >

> > > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> > >

> > > MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

> >

> > That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

>

> But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > > > >

> > > > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> > > >

> > > > MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

> > >

> > > That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

> >

> > But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

>

> People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> > > > >

> > > > > MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

> > > >

> > > > That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

> > >

> > > But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

> >

> > People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

>

> Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

Well, I agree that people who enjoy challenging content are neglected and the rewards are crap. The bad thing is that if they lock good rewards behind challenging content, the casuals will cry and they are loud. Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> >

> > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

>

> If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

> @"otto.5684" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > >

> > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> >

> > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

>

> Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

>

> Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

>

A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

> @"otto.5684" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > >

> > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> >

> > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

>

> Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

>

> Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

I actually wouldn't mind that, I play PvP too! I need 3 more ranks to reach Dragon rank and I'm working on that right now. :) I rarely play ranked but I'm not afraid to do it. Last time I ended up in Gold which is okay for a noob like me, haha. Also, I hate Fractals but I still played it for my Celestial Red infusion (thank you guildies who took me to runs), lol. It's perfectly fine if I can't get everything just by spamming open world events. :)

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > >

> > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > >

> > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> >

> > Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

> >

> > Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

> >

>

> A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

>

> Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

It makes sense to me. And that is the point. Just cuz I like sPvP that does not mean everyone else does and game content should locked behind it.

I like playing. If there is a clear and interesting challenge, I am happy to do it. However, I would not go around the map looking for crap if you pay me real money.

> @"otto.5684" said:

> > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > > >

> > > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > > >

> > > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> > >

> > > Fine. Next mount should be locked behind 25 sPvP ranked wins. Oh wait, that is content you won’t play? Or locking behind fractals or raids?

> > >

> > > Clearly locking game content behind gatting that does not appeal to many is a terrible design.

> > >

> >

> > A mount locked behind PvP makes no sense cause you cannot even use mounts in PvP.

> >

> > Why dont you like playing and earning rewards? Why do people always want everything the second they are logging in....

>

> It makes sense to me. And that is the point. Just cuz I like sPvP that does not mean everyone else does and game content should locked behind it.

>

> I like playing. If there is a clear and interesting challenge, I am happy to do it. However, I would not go around the map looking for crap if you pay me real money.

You didn’t really counter their argument. There’s a difference between something being locked behind a particular gamemode and whether someone likes that particular game mode.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> I actually wouldn't mind that, I play PvP too! I need 3 more ranks to reach Dragon rank and I'm working on that right now. :) I rarely play ranked but I'm not afraid to do it. Last time I ended up in Gold which is okay for a noob like me, haha. Also, I hate Fractals but I still played it for my Celestial Red infusion (thank you guildies who took me to runs), lol. It's perfectly fine if I can't get everything just by spamming open world events. :)

I totally agree with this! I consider myself an open world player but I'm willing to do other game modes for items I really want. If you want something, you have to suck it up and work for it or forget about it, your choice.

> @"otto.5684" said:

>

>

The funny thing is, it would be the PvP players who would hate this the most. PvE players would flood ranked in droves to ram their head against the wall until they grinded out 25 wins, while primary PvP players would be crying about PvE players invading en masse.

I have mixed feelings about the way collections are used. I like a lot of collections now. Some of them are super well done, like the Griffon, Caladbolg, and Roller Beetle collections, but even the good ones are held back by the fact that they're stuck using the Achievement Tab instead of a proper quest journal.

Let's face it, a lot of the collections that are actually good, memorable and interesting aren't just collection achievements. They're traditional quests. They're all great traditional quests. And instead of a proper quest journal, they're using the Achievement's tab which gets bloated into both a tab for actual Achievements. A guide towards content. And a story journal. And it's so absolutely weird to have this basically nondiagetic interface giving us story and sidequests.

I get that GW2 loves to be different and tries as hard to for as long as it can. And in many ways I love that aspect about it. I think focusing on dynamic events instead of traditional questing for the bulk of the content was a great choice. But traditional questing can be incredibly fun when it's not padded out as filler content. And the legendary collections, current events, and stuff like the beetle and griffon would all have felt more fun, more immersive and more enjoyable if they had proper quest journals. I like quests. It's not just "Bring me 10 bear asses." They can be interesting, dynamic, and tell fantastic stories and make the world pop and feel alive just as much as dynamic events can. Just look at some of the better questing in something like Morrowind, or the [top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

](

"top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

")

Crafting Astralaria and Bolt felt like such nonsense because instead of being able to properly sit down and tell the story of creating these weapons they're shoehorned into this weird element of the UI that was never intended for such things and getting a Cosmic Power, or Star Chart ends up not feeling like anything. All of the collection quests have this problem to some degree, even the good ones.

I'm going to leave off with a video of WoodenPotatoes talking about the value of traditional quests all the way back in 2013 and it's still just as relevant as it is today.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> >Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

> How dare those filthy casuals expect that legendary armor should be acquired the same way as legendary weapons!

I'm a filthy casual too, lol. I just don't see the point of Legendary items. Ascended has the same stats and it's cheaper/easier to get. Let those poor hardcore people have their own toy.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> I have mixed feelings about the way collections are used. I like a lot of collections now. Some of them are super well done, like the Griffon, Caladbolg, and Roller Beetle collections, but even the good ones are held back by the fact that they're stuck using the Achievement Tab instead of a proper quest journal.

>

> Let's face it, a lot of the collections that are actually good, memorable and interesting aren't just collection achievements. They're traditional quests. They're all great traditional quests. And instead of a proper quest journal, they're using the Achievement's tab which gets bloated into both a tab for actual Achievements. A guide towards content. And a story journal. And it's so absolutely weird to have this basically nondiagetic interface giving us story and sidequests.

>

> I get that GW2 loves to be different and tries as hard to for as long as it can. And in many ways I love that aspect about it. I think focusing on dynamic events instead of traditional questing for the bulk of the content was a great choice. But traditional questing can be incredibly fun when it's not padded out as filler content. And the legendary collections, current events, and stuff like the beetle and griffon would all have felt more fun, more immersive and more enjoyable if they had proper quest journals. I like quests. It's not just "Bring me 10 bear kitten." They can be interesting, dynamic, and tell fantastic stories and make the world pop and feel alive just as much as dynamic events can. Just look at some of the better questing in something like Morrowind, or the [top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

> ](

"top tier questing of Secret World, which while not great as a whole has the best questing I've ever seen.

> ")

> Crafting Astralaria and Bolt felt like such nonsense because instead of being able to properly sit down and tell the story of creating these weapons they're shoehorned into this weird element of the UI that was never intended for such things and getting a Cosmic Power, or Star Chart ends up not feeling like anything. All of the collection quests have this problem to some degree, even the good ones.

>

> I'm going to leave off with a video of WoodenPotatoes talking about the value of traditional quests all the way back in 2013 and it's still just as relevant as it is today.

>

>

This is actually the one of few if not only post in this thread with constructive criticism. And I actually agree with the notion of it.

Not even so much as the quest text, but more about the UI and text placement. Alot of the achievements or collection achievements DO have loads of text, except its all in the achievement window, or in obscure item descriptions or achievement objective descriptions that only appear when you mouse over.

Its simply not visible enough to bother with. Sometimes I want to care but I simply forget. Other times I read the objects interaction window or try to pay attention to the dialogue, but miss it or simply cant bother by it every single moment.

Theres alot of ways to simply lose track or ignore the descriptions. See how many people ask for help with something that is literally spelled out in those descriptions! Its often too obscure for some players.

One other aspect I dislike about collections or achievement driven quests is that they arent repeatable. When you miss a piece of text or when you do a certain route through a dungeon in the open world with interactables, it cant be repeated, either for less or the same rewards.

An especially nasty example of this, i think, is that the dwarven scavenger hunt in Desert Highlands in PoF essentially is one time per account, (through design as well as thanks to the achievement system.)

Its ridiculous to think that in some of these cases Anet havent used characterbound progression to the fullest, and are moving towards doing everything once.

Lack of, especially intentional lack of, replay value is something I will never understand, especially for an MMO which has repeatable achievements for the most menial tasks, but not for the achievements that are more fun.

No. Collections are very fun, in fact they are the pendant of what is called "quests" in other games. I did most of the precursor-collections and just sold the precursor afterwards, even if that meant loosing money, just because i enjoy doing them.

The more collections we get, the better.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > @"Nuka Cola.8520" said:

> > > > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > > > > @"otto.5684" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > > > > > > > Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

> > > > > >

> > > > > > MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

> > > > >

> > > > > That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

> > > >

> > > > But you get a griffon and a beetle. I don't want them, i didn't even bothered unlocking all the other mounts (only have the first two you get), they're usless to me. What am i supposed to do with mounts? Run around the open world? I don't exactly log in into gw2 to run around the open world and collect flowers. Maybe it would've been fine in 2012 but certainly not six years later.

> > >

> > > People are different. I'd rather run around the open world on a mount than do your precious challenging group content. Anet has to please many different kinds of players and it's not an easy job, especially in a game which is mostly played by casuals. For example, when we get new fractals and raids I don't get anything because I don't do them. That's how it works, they just can't please everyone all the time.

> >

> > Thing is, its been six years. If they're pleasing the other crowd for six years, what about the ones that enjoy challenging group content? I have done too many factals before raids were introduced, i can't do them anymore. Raids in gw2 are as pointless as they come. Its extremely rare to see a raid, the most challenging pve content with this much of a poor reward system. I wouldn't even call them raids, its more of the vanilla dungeons but improved. Mechanics and design has improved, but the reward system remained a joke.

>

> Well, I agree that people who enjoy challenging content are neglected and the rewards are crap. The bad thing is that if they lock good rewards behind challenging content, the casuals will cry and they are loud. Look at all the people crying because they can't get Legendary armor for doing open world stuff, lol. It's ridiculous.

Casuals have a TON of content in this game. They're the ones that enjoy logging in to simply run around in the open world and brainlessly attack mobs. I want something more complicated than that, and i have nothing.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

>

> That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.