Wasted 310g on a weapon skin...

I've been collecting all the Sword skins for a few years and now I only have 11 to go. Well one of those skins was the Sovereign Spatha from the Crown Pavilion. I needed a 'Favor of the Bazaar' ticket to purchase it from the vendor, so about a month ago I finally caved and bought the ticket from the TP for 310g. It's not like the Pavilion and Bazaar are ever going to return....then one month later, *LATEST NEWS:* July 17th -- Festival of the Four Winds begins next week! ...............................................................insert Anakin Ihateyou.gif

Well, I wouldn't say you wasted 310g. At worst, you got what you wanted (and paid more than you would have today), but... that can happen at any time in this game. There are dyes once worth hundreds of gold trading for under 6 gold today. Lots of skins lost value because ANet added a faucet without warning.

Of course it's horribly frustrating to be caught by such a change (and yes, I've been on the wrong end of that more often than there's room for in the thread). At the end of the day, you still have the skin you wanted.

I remember seeing the Electro dyes tank in price from the third birthday gift. I've also been burned by the Nightfury skin, specifically the Batwing brew ingredient for it. Paid something like 600g for it then it tanked less than a month later to like 100g. On the other hand, I bought the Permanent Bank Access for 333g several years ago. 2 extra Glyphs of Industry for 430g right after they came out.

Personally I wouldn’t bother support. You paid in game gold and got what you paid for. What can they do? They’re not going to give you a gold refund and as far as I know unless they roll back your account they can’t remove skins from your wardrobe. If they gave you gold back then they’d have to refund all the people who paid a high price for something scarce and then it returned unexpectedly to the game.

I like to tell myself that sooner or later this will happen to everyone, but some people might never noticed because they don't keep following the price of an item after they've bought it. It might sound harsh but the alternative is telling myself it only happens to me because I have horrible luck.

My worst one was buying The Lover for just under 800g - close to the most expensive it's ever been and probably ever will be. The really annoying thing? If I'd waited until I had everything else completed it would have dropped back down to about 500g. But I had no way of knowing that at the time - the standard advice was to save up and buy the precursor as soon as you could and the entire time I'd been watching it the price had been going up with no end in sight.

I suspect overall I've wasted more gold buying mini pets at the 'wrong' time, but I don't have the time or the inclination to try and track all of their prices so I can't be sure.

I tell myself that at least I only lost virtual money (I don't convert gems to gold) so it's not that much of a big deal. And I try to learn from it and plan ahead when similar situations come up in future. For example right now I'm trying to save gold so that if anything I really want is available during the festival I'll have a better chance of being able to afford it.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> Personally I wouldn’t bother support. You paid in game gold and got what you paid for. What can they do? They’re not going to give you a gold refund and as far as I know unless they roll back your account they can’t remove skins from your wardrobe. If they gave you gold back then they’d have to refund all the people who paid a high price for something scarce and then it returned unexpectedly to the game.

That's exactly why I'm not going to submit a ticket. I'm still blaming them though :angry:

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > You could always try a support ticket and plead your case. You never know.

>

> He bought it from TP, which means support won't help

Support is very helpful especially in such cases of unexpected game events or even player-made mistakes. I am sure Support will be open for discussion to help.

> @"Alatar.7364" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > You could always try a support ticket and plead your case. You never know.

> >

> > He bought it from TP, which means support won't help

>

> Support is very helpful especially in such cases of unexpected game events or even player-made mistakes. I am sure Support will be open for discussion to help.

Like Kheldorn said, it was a TP purchase. Anet is far less likely to step in and do a refund/price correction when TP purchases are involved because it'd affect both parties of the transaction. Plus, OP already said they don't plan to contact support about it.

> @"Alatar.7364" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > You could always try a support ticket and plead your case. You never know.

> >

> > He bought it from TP, which means support won't help

>

> Support is very helpful especially in such cases of unexpected game events or even player-made mistakes. I am sure Support will be open for discussion to help.

Like what? Give him his gold back? Take the skin away? What exactly should support do when you buy something and then the market shifts.

Edit: should they also do the vice versa? When someone sells something cheap and the price rises the next day should support reimburse them for that?

Why should they give anything back for something that you purchased with in game gold just because they decided to bring an event back just after you bought the item. You could of waited on that item and hoped within a reasonable time it may return, but no you were impatient and had to have it now. They may not of brought the event back at all, but they did. So to me you do not deserve to get any gold back for that sword. You may get your gold back, but you shouldn't The only way I would agree to this is if you accidently bought a weapon you already had.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Alatar.7364" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > > > You could always try a support ticket and plead your case. You never know.

> > >

> > > He bought it from TP, which means support won't help

> >

> > Support is very helpful especially in such cases of unexpected game events or even player-made mistakes. I am sure Support will be open for discussion to help.

>

> Like what? Give him his gold back? Take the skin away? What exactly should support do when you buy something and then the market shifts.

>

> Edit: should they also do the vice versa? When someone sells something cheap and the price rises the next day should support reimburse them for that?

Lol and take the gold away from the person who sold it and give them the item back? Yeah it sux. Paid 800$ for an Iphone 5 and they announce the 6 1 month after, I'm still waiting for apple to give me my money back.

> @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> Why should they give anything back for something that you purchased with in game gold just because they decided to bring an event back just after you bought the item. You could of waited on that item and hoped within a reasonable time it may return, but no you were impatient and had to have it now. They may not of brought the event back at all, but they did. So to me you do not deserve to get any gold back for that sword. You may get your gold back, but you shouldn't The only way I would agree to this is if you accidently bought a weapon you already had.

>

>

Im not asking for a refund tho...and I was patient for like 3.5 years. It was also the last sword I could technically buy. The remaining ones are locked behind WvW, Fractals, Raids, Domain of Istan, and 29K achievement point (im at 28,136). I've not done a raid yet, but finished (asc) gearing up 3 different toons the past month. Been grinding out WvW skirmish tickets the past 2 weeks. Just about have the Istani Stellar/Astral skins too. My list:

Astral Khopesh, Stellar Khopesh (Istan)

Mistforged Hero's Sword, Mistforged Obsidian Sword, Slumbering Mistforged Obsidian Sword (WvW)

Nightmare Thornblade, Caustic Nightmare Thornblade, Gold Fractal Sword (Fractals)

White Mantle Gladius, Indomitable Gladius, The Ender of All (Raids)

Pinnacle Blade (29K AP)

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> So the moral of the story is "Don't buy expensive things on the TP".

I disagree. I'm trying to collect all sword skins so I can't say "that's too expensive so I can't buy it." It kind of seems like I'm complaining about the price I paid, but I'm really not trying to. The market price was indirectly (probably unintentional) manipulated by an announcement from ANet. That's why I'm butthurt. If the price had changed because of supply/demand (and no announcement), then I wouldn't be as butthurt.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"GreyWolf.8670" said:

> > You could always try a support ticket and plead your case. You never know.

>

> He bought it from TP, which means support won't help

Oh, I missed that part somehow. I'd hope they wouldn't take the gold back from another player.