Please get rid of transmute charges and add a proper wardrobe system

> @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.

Modded armor? Lol no how should that work? Players who dont have your mod will see you in default armor? What is the reason of that besides you and couple of othes who have the same mod be able to see it?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Revilrad.1962" said:

> > @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> > Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.

>

> Modded armor? Lol no how should that work? Players who dont have your mod will see you in default armor? What is the reason of that besides you and couple of othes who have the same mod be able to see it?

Think LA was suggesting getting capable users to make assets for GW2. Which would be awesome for getting new fashion options in, but would open up a *lot* of legal issues I'm sure ANet doesn't want to deal with.

> @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. **Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.**

I would absolutely love that, even if it was just for client-side only cosmetic mods that would not be visible to other players. Games like Skyrim have flourished for years thanks to having a massive modding community.

I have plenty of transmutation charges, but I'll admit because they are a limited currency, I tend to be sparing in their use. Thus my characters tend to have a fairly static look. If wardrobe changes were not limited to a currency like that I'd likely change up my look more often just for fun. It may be a psychological thing, but because they are a limited currency I don't use them as much as I might because I don't want to run low or run out. (Even though I probably wouldn't.)

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Revilrad.1962" said:

> > > @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> > > Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.

> >

> > Modded armor? Lol no how should that work? Players who dont have your mod will see you in default armor? What is the reason of that besides you and couple of othes who have the same mod be able to see it?

>

> Think LA was suggesting getting capable users to make assets for GW2. Which would be awesome for getting new fashion options in, but would open up a *lot* of legal issues I'm sure ANet doesn't want to deal with.

Yeah, legal issues are also expensive.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > Do I get to turn my 1000+ Transmutation charges into Gems if they go this route? I presume that most people have more Transmutation charges than they know what to do with...you also forgot they drop from BLT Chests.

>

> This.

>

> Anybody playing WvW or PvP is swimming in charges. They are very easy to come by and it's not every day that you use them by the dozens

Yes, in a typical month the only time I *might* use as many charges as I get in PVE and logins is if I roll a new character .... which does not happen often. I might use one or two charges if I get a new skin but generally the biggest time I use charges is in setting up a new character. I can not think of a single time where I changed the look of every item on an character I have had for over a year.

In general I agree but similar to what was mentioned above

I think the first priority change should be everything actually saving the dyes we put on it properly LOL

Then, sell an infinite transmute for the time being

And then armor skins into a wardrobe system

And then somehow fuse outfits and armor skin stuff into one system, bc what's the point of having two appearance systems really??

Elder Scrolls Online has almost exactly this system, except you have to pay gold to change the skins in a wardrobe slot. It's ok, except that new slots are quite expensive (1,500 crowns each - which comes to about £8 or $11 each) - and like bag slots buying another one only unlocks it for 1 character - so getting extra options for all your characters quickly gets expensive. (Hopefully GW2 wouldn't go that route, it's bad enough having to buy separate slots for them all when you're capped at 15 characters, it's be horrible if you had 70 like some GW2 players do!)

I've found I use both systems in a very similar way and don't change my armour skins more often in either. But that might be more to do with how I dress up my characters than the mechanics of the system. I tend to find a look I like for their armour and then stick with it until I get bored or get new skins. I swap into outfits frequently because I buy ones that don't look like armour and use them when I'm in town, in other non-combat situations or for special occasions like story instances where you're meeting someone important. I think that (and having multiple characters) gives me enough of a variety that I don't feel the need to change their armour constantly. Which means I get more than enough transmutation charges and I've never had to buy them or even make a special effort to earn them in-game.

I change my l ook everyday. sometimes a few times a day. I also do a ton of pvp. transmutation charges drop like crazy in pvp, so I have hundreds still after changing my looks so often. But people shouldn't be forced to pvp if they don't really want to. But I agree, changing your character's look really shouldn't have a cost. I understand acquiring new skins having a cost, but no one should have to pay to use a look they have already acquired.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> I never understood why people have not enough Trans Charges.

> I often change my skins i have currently 1376.

>

>

I only get 3 per month with the attendance reward. I make alt and explore cities for more. It's long and tedious, but I use so many I have no choice.

I used about 20 charges in the last 2 weeks for my mesmer and my ranger, and will probably manage to use that many again next week. I had a few in reserve because when I took a break from the game I kept login in to grab attendance rewards for the transmutation charges.

My condi and power armor sets have different looks so I don't get bored of them too fast, which make me use fewer charges and save me from completely running out of them too fast before I can go farm some more.

Always thought they should have made the legendary armor/weapons have the ultimate bonus in the games endgame (fashion) and always cost 0 charges for transmuting. That way we would have viable legendary gear for the games endgame.

(Stat swapping is barely used outside of wvw anyways).

I've been playing GW2 since February 2018, I have 3 LV 80's and 90 charges in my wallet, and about 170 unopened Skirmish Chests in my bank (from which you can choose a transmutation charge) - and I don't even WvW all that much.

At this point, I'd rather keep this system than move to one where a transmute might cost me 50s or 1g. Admittedly I felt differently when I first started the game, but as you can see, even after only 6 months, I have way more charges than I could possibly use.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on vacation for 2 weeks, and started playing wvw 1 week after I returned Now I have 200+ charges... I posted before:

> @"PaxTheGreatOne.9472" said (july 20th) :

> I used to buy those sometimes, if I fell short

>

> Recently I returned to WvW, about 4 weeks ago and now I have 120+... I doubt I'll need to buy some shortly...

So in 4 weeks I was away for 2 weeks and I gained 80 transmutation charges...

> @"PaxTheGreatOne.9472" said:

> I've been on vacation for 2 weeks, and started playing wvw 1 week after I returned Now I have 200+ charges... I posted before:

>

> > @"PaxTheGreatOne.9472" said (july 20th) :

> > I used to buy those sometimes, if I fell short

> >

> > Recently I returned to WvW, about 4 weeks ago and now I have 120+... I doubt I'll need to buy some shortly...

>

> So in 4 weeks I was away for 2 weeks and I gained 80 transmutation charges...

My post a few week back:

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> I've been playing GW2 since February 2018, I have 3 LV 80's and 90 charges in my wallet, and about 170 unopened Skirmish Chests in my bank (from which you can choose a transmutation charge) - and I don't even WvW all that much.

>

> At this point, I'd rather keep this system than move to one where a transmute might cost me 50s or 1g. Admittedly I felt differently when I first started the game, but as you can see, even after only 6 months, I have way more charges than I could possibly use.

In the interim, I've leveled 2 new characters to 80, and transmuted pretty every piece of armor and weapon for both of them. I currently now have 88 transmutation charges in my wallet, and 193 Skirmish Chests in my bank, again from which I can buy 1 transmutation charge each.

I don't spend more than 4-5hrs a week in WvW, so I don't think I'm all that unusual, and again I started playing in February 2018. At first it seems like you have no charges and will never have enough, but before long, you will be swimming in them.

I'm definitely a fan of no transmutations, and also having wardrobe designs saved, even if they were limited and had to be purchased like bag slots and such.

I don't think it's going to happen because transmuting has been a part of the game since the very beginning and it's always been a pain. It's already less of a pain, but more expensive than it was originally. As such, stripping away the cost entirely just doesn't seem like something they have an interest in doing for us.

Without the ability to change appearance on the fly for free the template idea isn't very feasible. It would still be great, especially if it allowed for setting dyes too.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Maybe they should just have a tier of equipment above Ascended (whether it's equal to Legendary or not is probably a matter of taste) which has fixed stats, but lets you change the skin as often as you like?

No more gear tiers above ascended. The devs have stayed firm on that since the begining. They only added ascended for the sake of infusions.

> @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> > Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. **Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.**

> I would absolutely love that, even if it was just for client-side only cosmetic mods that would not be visible to other players. Games like Skyrim have flourished for years thanks to having a massive modding community.

Apples and Oranges though. Skyrim isn't an MMO.... its not even officially multiplayer. And as such, it doesn't have a competitive element either..... and thats where much of the biggest issues start to come into play. Aside from higher public visibility (see City of Heroes), a system without substantial oversight, moderation, and a team to clean up any submissions, runs the risk of mechanical exploits.

In the Skyrim example, a mod a breaks a game only affects the people who used it, and hurts only the reputation of the mod creator. In this case, even if its only cosmetic, it can effectively break the game for everyone, and/or give people an unfair advantage. Case in point, local skin mods in World of Tanks that paints the defense table on the enemy so you know all the weak spots, as well as spot them through cover. An obvious case here is finding something that breaks the rendering behavior of Stealth, so you can still see them.

Secondly. Any system GW2 would run would be closer to Bethesda's Creator Club; and we all know how much of a shit show that was. Curation is a pain in the butt, rights management only benefits the platform holders (in our current industry environment), and Modders only really function on a very thin, grey veil of legitimacy that they've had to tread carefully to avoid being stamped out. Given how things are in the Industry, I'd much rather have such things handled as "commissioned work" or Licensed work, because it offers a LOT more legal leverage to the creators instead of giving wholesale ownership of something to a company that may or may not decide to compensate you for.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > > @"Lambros Augustus.6594" said:

> > > Got over 1k transmute charges just from wvw. What we need are worthy armors to wear. **Should open the game up to modders if anet cant do it in house.**

> > I would absolutely love that, even if it was just for client-side only cosmetic mods that would not be visible to other players. Games like Skyrim have flourished for years thanks to having a massive modding community.

>

> Apples and Oranges though. Skyrim isn't an MMO.... its not even officially multiplayer. And as such, it doesn't have a competitive element either..... and thats where much of the biggest issues start to come into play. Aside from higher public visibility (see City of Heroes), a system without substantial oversight, moderation, and a team to clean up any submissions, runs the risk of mechanical exploits.

>

> In the Skyrim example, a mod a breaks a game only affects the people who used it, and hurts only the reputation of the mod creator. In this case, even if its only cosmetic, it can effectively break the game for everyone, and/or give people an unfair advantage. Case in point, local skin mods in World of Tanks that paints the defense table on the enemy so you know all the weak spots, as well as spot them through cover. An obvious case here is finding something that breaks the rendering behavior of Stealth, so you can still see them.

>

> Secondly. **Any system GW2 would run would be closer to Bethesda's Creator Club;** and we all know how much of a kitten show that was. Curation is a pain in the butt, rights management only benefits the platform holders (in our current industry environment), and Modders only really function on a very thin, grey veil of legitimacy that they've had to tread carefully to avoid being stamped out. Given how things are in the Industry, I'd much rather have such things handled as "commissioned work" or Licensed work, because it offers a LOT more legal leverage to the creators instead of giving wholesale ownership of something to a company that may or may not decide to compensate you for.

Sadly, that's probably true. The dream of one day having a site like nexusmods for gwX will probably never come to fruition.