Please make access to the Vigil Asura Gate account bound.

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Does people even use these portals anyway? What for?

> I am never using them and I have completed main story on quite many characters..

It's a cheap/free (depending on if you take another WP) way to get down to Orr for dailies, achievements and whatever else you want to do there.

Yes the waypoint fee is only a few silver but a lot of people still like to avoid it when possible.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > Does people even use these portals anyway? What for?

> > I am never using them and I have completed main story on quite many characters..

>

> It's a cheap/free (depending on if you take another WP) way to get down to Orr for dailies, achievements and whatever else you want to do there.

>

> Yes the waypoint fee is only a few silver but a lot of people still like to avoid it when possible.

I use the Whispers one on whatever character has access when I head out that way. It annoys me that I can't use it on some characters. I would love to see access account bound.

I used them a lot in the early days of the game, when saving a few silver for waypoints was an essential tool for conserving coin. But these days, with 2g for dailies, it's a lot less critical.

That said, regardless of the convenience factor, I am against the suggestion for two reasons:

* It's one of the very few things in the game where story choices matter; I'd rather preserve those.

* I'd rather ANet devoted resources to other, more useful-to-more-people changes. At best, this one helps a small group of players for a small period of time and there are other ways to help that same group.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I used them a lot in the early days of the game, when saving a few silver for waypoints was an essential tool for conserving coin. But these days, with 2g for dailies, it's a lot less critical.

>

> That said, regardless of the convenience factor, I am against the suggestion for two reasons:

> * It's one of the very few things in the game where story choices matter; I'd rather preserve those.

> * I'd rather ANet devoted resources to other, more useful-to-more-people changes. At best, this one helps a small group of players for a small period of time and there are other ways to help that same group.

To your first point. Shouldnt all the gates be useable after your character becomes the pact commander anyways? If they dont already it, would make sense for them to be. Account bound though, i agree with you.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > Does people even use these portals anyway? What for?

> > I am never using them and I have completed main story on quite many characters..

>

> It's a cheap/free (depending on if you take another WP) way to get down to Orr for dailies, achievements and whatever else you want to do there.

>

> Yes the waypoint fee is only a few silver but a lot of people still like to avoid it when possible.

I love that people would rather spend time walking somewhere to save some silver than getting there asap and being done with what ever brought them to the area in the first place.

Talk about penny-pinching.

In the meantime, not doing research on the Trading Post ups and downs daily will cost the random player multiple gold per day when selling his loot.

Some peoples priorities amaze me.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I used them a lot in the early days of the game, when saving a few silver for waypoints was an essential tool for conserving coin. But these days, with 2g for dailies, it's a lot less critical.

> >

> > That said, regardless of the convenience factor, I am against the suggestion for two reasons:

> > * It's one of the very few things in the game where story choices matter; I'd rather preserve those.

> > * I'd rather ANet devoted resources to other, more useful-to-more-people changes. At best, this one helps a small group of players for a small period of time and there are other ways to help that same group.

>

> To your first point. Shouldnt all the gates be useable after your character becomes the pact commander anyways? If they dont already it, would make sense for them to be. Account bound though, i agree with you.

You may be the Pact commander, but you're not a member of the other two orders and can only enter their halls under certain circumstances. So, it makes sense to me that you're not allowed to use the other two orders' gates.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Shouldnt all the gates be useable after your character becomes the pact commander anyways?

Yeah, I always wondered why the pact commander didn't have the privileges of, you know, a pact commander. I always explained it lorewise as the typical inter-agency conflicts in any bureaucracy: the air force is mad at the navy for buying their own fighter planes, so charges them to refuel at their bases. That sort of thing.

(In RL, I figured that no one at ANet had considered it at all.)

But, by the time any toon became "the commander," there wasn't much need to use them.

(I confess, I did have a couple of toons choose Whispers because, at the the time, its portal was more accessible for me. Going that far north to the vigil HQ and navigating to the priory always seemed too much trouble.)

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> I love that people would rather spend time walking somewhere to save some silver than getting there asap and being done with what ever brought them to the area in the first place.

I didn't mind taking the time, since I wasn't in a rush. I was still finding lots of interesting things to do along the way.

>

> Talk about penny-pinching.

Yes, that was the idea, when silver was more difficult to come by. I was already making money on the TP, but I was also spending it quickly on things like trait manuals for multiple toons (expenses that don't exist today).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > I love that people would rather spend time walking somewhere to save some silver than getting there asap and being done with what ever brought them to the area in the first place.

> I didn't mind taking the time, since I wasn't in a rush. I was still finding lots of interesting things to do along the way.

>

> >

> > Talk about penny-pinching.

> Yes, that was the idea, when silver was more difficult to come by. I was already making money on the TP, but I was also spending it quickly on things like trait manuals for multiple toons (expenses that don't exist today).

>

>

Yeah I remember those, that sure made the wallet take a hit only for Arenanet to get rid of that system a few months later :#

I'm not judging (well maybe a little), I just find it fascinating since for me time spent playing or getting something done was always more important than saving money on way point costs. One could say it's one of the convenience expenses I never worried about.

It reminds me of people who would used way points to LA (or WvW) to way point onward to a city which was closer to their destination. I would have never gone through such a detour let alone willingly add 1-2 loading screens to my travels.

Just goes to show every one has different priorities.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > > Does people even use these portals anyway? What for?

> > > I am never using them and I have completed main story on quite many characters..

> >

> > It's a cheap/free (depending on if you take another WP) way to get down to Orr for dailies, achievements and whatever else you want to do there.

> >

> > Yes the waypoint fee is only a few silver but a lot of people still like to avoid it when possible.

>

> I love that people would rather spend time walking somewhere to save some silver than getting there asap and being done with what ever brought them to the area in the first place.

>

> Talk about penny-pinching.

>

> In the meantime, not doing research on the Trading Post ups and downs daily will cost the random player multiple gold per day when selling his loot.

>

> Some peoples priorities amaze me.

Ideally I'd like to actually walk the entire way, because one of my favourite things about this game is all the random stuff that can happen on my way to my destination (events, fun dialogue, getting side-tracked gathering materials, helping other players, scenery I've not seen in a while etc.). But sometimes I don't have time to do the entire journey so I compromise by using an asura gate to get part-way and then walk the rest of the way there.

I could say the same thing really - I'm amazed that some peoples priority is to get done with playing the game (something I assume they're doing for fun) ASAP so they can focus on earning fake money in the time they're not at work earning real money.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > > > Does people even use these portals anyway? What for?

> > > > I am never using them and I have completed main story on quite many characters..

> > >

> > > It's a cheap/free (depending on if you take another WP) way to get down to Orr for dailies, achievements and whatever else you want to do there.

> > >

> > > Yes the waypoint fee is only a few silver but a lot of people still like to avoid it when possible.

> >

> > I love that people would rather spend time walking somewhere to save some silver than getting there asap and being done with what ever brought them to the area in the first place.

> >

> > Talk about penny-pinching.

> >

> > In the meantime, not doing research on the Trading Post ups and downs daily will cost the random player multiple gold per day when selling his loot.

> >

> > Some peoples priorities amaze me.

>

> Ideally I'd like to actually walk the entire way, because one of my favourite things about this game is all the random stuff that can happen on my way to my destination (events, fun dialogue, getting side-tracked gathering materials, helping other players, scenery I've not seen in a while etc.). But sometimes I don't have time to do the entire journey so I compromise by using an asura gate to get part-way and then walk the rest of the way there.

>

> I could say the same thing really - I'm amazed that some peoples priority is to get done with playing the game (something I assume they're doing for fun) ASAP so they can focus on earning fake money in the time they're not at work earning real money.

Oh I've done that. I've even leveled a character up to level 20 with only running around and doing skill points, vistas and occasional events (if they appreared right on my way). I always enjoyed getting some levels in in-between by just running around and unlocking map objective on each of my characters (except the ones who reached level 80 via the power of tomes).

For me it's not about farming gold. I'd rather spend my time playing wvw or fractals or raids (dungeons back in the day) instead of walking some where.

I guess I can understand people who play for the atmosphere (which for me is kind of gone after 5k hours on my account), just not from an economic aspect. It's literally worrying about how much money you spent on a door mat while not worrying or carrying about how much your house will cost.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I used them a lot in the early days of the game, when saving a few silver for waypoints was an essential tool for conserving coin. But these days, with 2g for dailies, it's a lot less critical.

> >

> > That said, regardless of the convenience factor, I am against the suggestion for two reasons:

> > * It's one of the very few things in the game where story choices matter; I'd rather preserve those.

> > * I'd rather ANet devoted resources to other, more useful-to-more-people changes. At best, this one helps a small group of players for a small period of time and there are other ways to help that same group.

>

> To your first point. Shouldnt all the gates be useable after your character becomes the pact commander anyways? If they dont already it, would make sense for them to be. Account bound though, i agree with you.

Yeah that makes sense, I mean you're le grand fromage, surely everyone and their dog should be delighted to have you pop around and mess around with the fundamental stability of the planet? ;)

I'd be a nice/pretty irrelevant perk for characters that complete the PS though, personally I don't have the patience and would rather WP as close as possible.

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> If it's just about getting to Orr for dailies, how about the Season 3 Portal Tome? Siren's Landing is an Orrian map. No WP costs, and it doesn't matter where you are in Tyria.

I do. The Ember Bay tome will get me even closer to the far reaches of Orr. Still, Fort Trinity gets me to the areas north and east cheaply