Labyrinthine Cliffs - Solitary npc (spoilers)

Tyson.5160

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > @"Tyson.5160" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > That explains the confused cow as well..

> > >

> > > There are a ton of small bits like this on the map, I love it

> >

> > I also noticed a small rift near the cow.

>

> Oh, I just assumed they tightened the spring too much on the cattlepult.

They stated in the Guild Chat episode that there is no meaning to the cow, so I am 100% ready to believe this explanation.

> @"foozlesprite.8051" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > > @"Tyson.5160" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > That explains the confused cow as well..

> > > >

> > > > There are a ton of small bits like this on the map, I love it

> > >

> > > I also noticed a small rift near the cow.

> >

> > Oh, I just assumed they tightened the spring too much on the cattlepult.

>

> They stated in the Guild Chat episode that there is no meaning to the cow, so I am 100% ready to believe this explanation.

If you look close to the cower, you see a "mostly closed rift" similar to those in Bloodstone Fen and dealing with Auris Weirdbringer rifts.

I wonder if anyone's yet bothered to take one of those guns to it? Either way, it's likely just fun world building of "let's add this to show it's still a thing" and not much else.

> @"foozlesprite.8051" said:

> Looking at this guy I went "wait...does this mean he used to be a full-blown Mordrem, rather than just a 'regular' sylvari that turned on the Pact?" because in my mind they were separate concepts. It feels like a huge lorebomb for such a casual, missable update either way, but if he came back from being physically Mordrem, that's..._big_.

Well technically if he listened to Mordremoth’s voice then he did become a Mordrem. The question is whether his appearance changed or not. If he did, did he merely change back into a Sylvari.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > That was never stated, afaik, but it is implied due to the prior build up with Canach and Caithe, and the whole lack of actual corruption with the MG.

> >

> > But with Canach, when the concept of sylvari appearances changing drastically was first shown to us, we were told it was due to psychological stress.

> >

> > If the sylvari who answered Mordremoth's call still hear the echoes of his commands, they'd be no doubt mentally unstable in many cases, and the mere mental stress caused by the burden of knowing what you've done could lead to not exactly returning as is. I'd imagine there would be many former Mordrem Guard who are in a half-turned state like we see Trahearne, simply due to this stress.

>

> Quote from Scott McGough:

>

> A Mordrem Guard’s appearance is more due to Mordremoth’s ability to control and shape plant life—sylvari are plants, after all, and once Mordy’s mental influence takes hold of a sylvari, it then twists their physical form into this more formidable configuration. It is related to/a dark mirror of a sylvari’s ability to change their own appearance, but in this case it’s being directed by Mordy and not the individual.

>

> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Lore-Q-A/page/2#post6175329

So if he’s in control of the change that means he’d be in control of changing back right? So they can’t

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> So if he’s in control of the change that means he’d be in control of changing back right? So they can’t

The way I see it is that Mordremoth pressured them into changing that specific way via his commands. Given that he's dead, he couldn't control their ability to change appearance (which is indeed their own as per Canach and Caithe) so Mordremoth cannot prevent them from changing back.