Having all classes on 1 character like in FFXIV

Would you liked to have all the classes on 1 character like in ffxiv? i know it will sort of make alting useless but honestly, im sure people who like alts would create them anyway... i think it could have been great because more options are always a good thing in a game, i know it will never happen but i am curious to read what you think :)

No. There are oh-so-many benefits of having multiple characters, like crafting disciplines and separate harvesting nodes (berries, iron, plat etc). Currencies and everything else is shared so there is no point in merging characters into one. It is THE most alt friendly MMO out there. There are exactly 0 reasons why this system would work in GW.

This simply won't work with this game.

The code assumes that each character only ever learns on prof. The devs have rejected prof swapping because of the huge amount of work required (that could be put into new features) and how many bugs it could introduce for years to come. Adding an arbitrary number of profs would only create more work & more room for error.

In other words, regardless of the merits of the idea, it's unlikely to happen.

No, it is kinda bullocks to be a White Mage AND a Black Mage. How is that supposed to work?

First the guys at Ul'Dah teach you to manipulate the aether to do nasty things. And suddenly you are a tree-hugging nature fan originiating in Gridania?

**N O P E.**

I actually love this about the Final Fantasy series. I am a person who loves to focus on one character, and having that name/character be associated with 'who i am' in this fictional universe and game world. All my decisions, choices, interactions and personality all being associated with that one character. Also, allows for fresh new ways to evolve your character without going back to 0% world completion and story completion, massive inventory juggling when switching mains, crafting being on an old character, etc.

GW2 does a good job with a lot of account bound stuff (please account bound crafting!!) so it isn't really that bad. But when you're in a guild and you bounce around characters a lot to play different classes, it's difficult to keep track of who is who (minor gripe, but one that takes immersion down a bit for me, by what name do I call them? lol).

It definitely will never happen in this game, especially with how they monetize inventory slots, and character slots, etc. But other than that, with the scaling and constant acquisition of experience and repeating events and stuff, they have a good system for it.

I'll support this option in every MMO, again, because in my opinion it makes that one person really become more associated with that one character.

That's kinda what Elite Specializations are. It gives the professions access to similar abilities without giving up their uniqueness. It's a natural result (more or less) of fighting and learning alongside one another, one tends to incorporate moves and techniques into one's own style rather than copy them outright.

Necromancer+Engineer=Scourge

Necromancer+Warrior=Reaper

Warrior+Mesmer=Spellbreaker

Thief+Ranger=Deadeye

Revenant+Guardian=Herald

Guardian+Ranger=DragonHunter

Ranger+Guardian=Druid

etc., etc.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

Well... if I was designing GW2 from the ground up, I would treat each race like a full-fledged primary profession, with a generalist set of abilities that are balanced for solo roaming in the OW. I'd put the additional professions in as something closer to e-specs or secondary professions in GW1. They would be used to specialize a character into a role for instanced group content.

But that ship has sailed. Every profession does everything, albeit with slightly different emphasis or theme. Maybe it would be a nice idea for GW3.

This is not FFV so, no.

Most people just gave arguments based on gems spent on alts or something, but the truth is that beign able to change classes just somehow breaks the immersion. Build Templates in the other side are a priority right now.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

>

> It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> >

> > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

>

> I was expecting you to say sth like this.

When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > >

> > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> >

> > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

>

> When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

Only if insecurities push it to do so.

(sigh) I really despise these comparisons and requests. If every game had the same things, what would be the point? If one prefers a single character experience like Final Fantasy, then by gosh one should play Final Fantasy. Many players enjoy GW2 for the type of game that it is. Please leave it as it is.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > >

> > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > >

> > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> >

> > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

>

> Only if insecurities push it to do so.

I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > There's awesome game, much better than this one, that allows this. It's called Guild Wars, and it actually has GvG, like the name suggests :)

> > > > >

> > > > > It allows a primary profession to choose a secondary, which is not the same as being able to use a single character to play all the professions. I personally liked it in GW1, but in practice, there were lots of primary+secondary combinations that made little sense or weren't fun and I find the GW2 system superior, because I feel there are a high fraction of useful options. In GW1, there were a lot of useless skills and skills that had only niche utility. More options? Sure. More good options? Not in my experience.

> > > >

> > > > I was expecting you to say sth like this.

> > >

> > > When you state your opinion as a fact, of course someone is going to respond.

> >

> > Only if insecurities push it to do so.

>

> I think it does your own point of view a disservice to pretend that we can compare preferences as if they were objective facts. It also undermines your case to veer from a discussion of the OP's proposal, by attempting to make the conversation about the people discussing it.

>

> The fact is that GW1 has secondary professions for characters, which is different from the OP's request. Some people like that better than what GW2 offers, although personally, I found it was more fun in theory than actual practice. A lot of mathematically possible combinations and few useful or fun ones. (That aside, there's no jumping in GW1 and we have to stop to use most skills.)

You are the only one who made my post into fact like. This is forums. I have no obligation or desire to put in every message "this is my opinion". Everything here is an opinion. Get used to it, honey.