Whales as pets

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> All of our pets are juvinilles, so it's not like we'll have a full sized whale. For all we know, whales in this universe are like pigs - small and cute as piglets, but then they grow...

Pets are called juvenile but they are the same size as non juvenile. It’s only a designation not a size description. Juvenile whales will be full size whales.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > All of our pets are juvinilles, so it's not like we'll have a full sized whale. For all we know, whales in this universe are like pigs - small and cute as piglets, but then they grow...

>

> Pets are called juvenile but they are the same size as non juvenile. It’s only a designation not a size description. Juvenile whales will be full size whales.

My guess is it's partially a lore thing and mainly a justification for tamable animals only being found in certain locations - you can't just tame any old wolf or jaguar you find, you have to find an impressionable juvenile and they're usually hidden away by their parents.

It's also kind of realistic. I once read (I think in my 1909 copy of the very dramatically named 'Wild Beasts of the World') that people used to 'tame' juvenile cheetahs as hunting cats. They had to find them when they were old enough that their mother had taught them to hunt, because they couldn't learn from a human, and before they were fully independent or they wouldn't obey the hunters. Although I'm skeptical of how tame they actually were, vs. kept tied up most of the time so they couldn't attack or escape.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > All of our pets are juvinilles, so it's not like we'll have a full sized whale. For all we know, whales in this universe are like pigs - small and cute as piglets, but then they grow...

> >

> > Pets are called juvenile but they are the same size as non juvenile. It’s only a designation not a size description. Juvenile whales will be full size whales.

>

> My guess is it's partially a lore thing and mainly a justification for tamable animals only being found in certain locations - you can't just tame any old wolf or jaguar you find, you have to find an impressionable juvenile and they're usually hidden away by their parents.

>

> It's also kind of realistic. I once read (I think in my 1909 copy of the very dramatically named 'Wild Beasts of the World') that people used to 'tame' juvenile cheetahs as hunting cats. They had to find them when they were old enough that their mother had taught them to hunt, because they couldn't learn from a human, and before they were fully independent or they wouldn't obey the hunters. Although I'm skeptical of how tame they actually were, vs. kept tied up most of the time so they couldn't attack or escape.

This [article](https://theglyptodon.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/hunting-with-cheetahs/) says wild caught cheetahs were kept blindfolded, which probably kept down aggression and the fear response from being in captivity and around people.