Choosing a class to roam

GrManosXD.3807

After playing for a lot of time as cele scourge in zergs , now I want to start roaming ... Unfortunately Reaper isn't that viable right now so I believe it's not a good idea to use him....

What I want for roaming is

- Pretty Good Mobility

- High Damage

- Can 1v3

- A class what will not take me years to master

I have heard that mirage and Daredevil are pretty good , but how difficult are they to master ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Voltekka said. Every class has at least 1 build that is viable for roaming (necro is arguably the exception). What's most important is you pick the class(es) that you like the most and play the builds most suited to the job.

If you want a "fun" way to master the class, set it up with wvw gear, and also a pvp build that closely as possible emulates it. Alternate between doing some unranked matches in pvp and roaming throughout the day which will help you master the mechanics but also expose you to a variety of situations and different builds that you might fight.

> @"GrManosXD.3807" said:

> After playing for a lot of time as cele scourge in zergs , now I want to start roaming ... Unfortunately Reaper isn't that viable right now so I believe it's not a good idea to use him....

>

> What I want for roaming is

> - Pretty Good Mobility

> - High Damage

> - Can 1v3

> - A class what will not take me years to master

>

> I have heard that mirage and Daredevil are pretty good , but how difficult are they to master ?

Just spellbreaker, easy to use, easy to master, good kiting and mobility, high damage.

Nobody can win a 1vs3 unless your opponents are running green or blue gear and use just autoattacks on you.

But with spellbreaker you can survive 1vs2 pretty long if you know what you are doing.

Soulbeast too if you like ranged gameplay instead of melee only.

in a week or so you can already achieve good results with both.

Baseline for spellbreaker build:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Daggerbreaker_Roamer

Baseline for soulbeast build:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Sic_%27Em_Roamer

Reaper is very viable if you know how to play it, some people even run viper/full zerk with it, it's not that hard to play, in 1vs1 it's pretty strong.

With that kind of loose definition the correct answer is **pick any of them**.

Because no matter what you choose, they all fall on the third point. No, you're not going to win 1v3 against actually good players. No class is capable of that. But any of them can own 3 hapless noobs that dont know where the pointy end of a sword is.

> @"Arcaedus.7290" said:

> What Voltekka said. Every class has at least 1 build that is viable for roaming (necro is arguably the exception).

You can go dire scourge with wurm and sand swell to be semi viable.

Full zerker reaper is fun at blowing bad mirages/thieves tho, but is quite a one trick pony.

I found out that core condi necro is quite decent in killing noobs as well, not many people will expect old spite, curses, soul reaping combo with shroud.

Necro is noob stomper. If you meet any decent player, you need to highly outsmart them and getting jumped at requires you to have a wurm somewhere to escape.

It sucks to be a solo roaming necro.

Power mirage is imo fun to play. You need to learn one combo and you are good to go. Only Spb or dps guard can be a challenge sometimes.

Spellbreaker, Soulbeast, Mirage.

They all have high mobility in common fighting builds without giving up much if anything. They all have high dmg ability, and are not that hard to learn.

3vs1 fights however are not going to happen when/if the other players are of the same skill level. The only way you are going to win that is if you are the better player by a long shot, or you are fighting 3 people playing the same spec that your spec hard counters. Do NOT expect to go from zerging to roaming and taking on 3vs1 fights, if the others are good players, it might be possible, but it will take years to be able to, and takes tactics, situational awareness, map knowledge and how/where to LOS etc etc.

As you want to 1v3, Spellbreaker is probably your best option because it has all the other things that are important on your list as well as great cleave to keep pressure on more than one player at a time. But as others have said, in this day and age, you have to be against very inexperienced players to win a 1v3. Fortunately, there are still a lot of inexperienced players in WvW ;)

Play druid. I made build for you.

[gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATVjEqQLLWuCOsAVLWMEM4s6XNtyEAGdlum3VqrqB-jFSAQBXSJIAOCARU9nvo8Lg6C8y+DU4RAMhLAAhAUMGA-w](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATVjEqQLLWuCOsAVLWMEM4s6XNtyEAGdlum3VqrqB-jFSAQBXSJIAOCARU9nvo8Lg6C8y+DU4RAMhLAAhAUMGA-w "gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATVjEqQLLWuCOsAVLWMEM4s6XNtyEAGdlum3VqrqB-jFSAQBXSJIAOCARU9nvo8Lg6C8y+DU4RAMhLAAhAUMGA-w")

> What I want for roaming is

> - Pretty Good Mobility

**Thief/Mesmer type.**

> - High Damage

**Thief/Mesmer type.**

> - Can 1v3

**No 1 can 1v3 win all of them just run from3 and pick 1v1 1 1 not 1v3.**

> - A class what will not take me years to master

**No1 master from start everything have first step.**

Mirage has good personal sustain, however know you limits. When to get in and out. They can take multiple enemies as long as YOU are not the constant focus, basically - hide among your illusions and get ready to dodge.

Thief- Your worst enemy are conditions. A mix of Valk+ marauder gear should give you the HP pool that you'll need to last through them. Use your initiative wisely.

Daredevil is your best bet for duels. The have a massive heal that restores endurance granting you in return more dodges and stealth. Not so sure about a 1v3, it is very possible but unlikely since the match up would be totally random. You just gotta pray that they aren't tanky or good and predicting where you will hit next.

Also, Use the terrain. Terrain is your best friend in duels.

Mirage is not hard to master, it's the most brain dead of classes aside from Fire Brand and Scourge spam. Get an axe torch, staff or if you're not into staff try for sword main hand and you're good. Go condi since condi hides the fact that you suck.

Go PvP- Try the dueling arenas and unranked matches- noone cares. If anyone gives flak it's because they're bad and salty af in unranked. In between queue times practice against the NPCS in the PvP lobby.

Always try to 1v1 the class you are on when facing another player- Thief v Thief for example. Learn your weaknesses and strengths.

But I'll tell you now- TvT is a waiting game of who can gank who first. Do not go condi thief. Your best bet is to go power.

Going power with anything helps you learn to survive.

> @"Tots.3056" said:

> > @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> > Nobody can win a 1vs3 unless your opponents are running green or blue gear and use just autoattacks on you.

>

> Classic noob statement to make. You haven't been roaming long enough.

>

>

>

If you find 2 skilled players you can never win a 1vs2 as well.

So tell me why is a noob statement Mr. 1v3 winner.

You probably are not even able to win 1vs1s with your main and talk of 1vs3s?

> @"whoknocks.4935" said:

> If you find 2 skilled players you can never win a 1vs2 as well.

> So tell me why is a noob statement Mr. 1v3 winner.

>

> You probably are not even able to win 1vs1s with your main and talk of 1vs3s?

"Skilled" can describe a wide range of players. I can (and do) win 1v2 against "skilled" players (both zerglings and roamers) often. Hell, it's even possible to win against 2 really, really good players if you get lucky and they screw up enough and/or are running builds that yours excels against. So, maybe you're trying to impress your own fallibilities on others simply because you aren't able to do it?

> @"LordSlain.5874" said:

> Which these classes is less ping dependent? Holo, mirage or daredevil? I play with 150 ping and I want a good roaming as well.

> And which is easiest to master?

I play with 100-200+ ping all the time and have mained a thief, engi, then mesmer since game release. You'll be fine. There will be times where you get downed from a hit that you've gotten out of the way of and the server doesn't know, but it doesn't happen often enough to make playing unbearable.

Edit: Forgot to actually give my 2c to your questions.

Most resistant to higher ping:

Imo, holo w/ the auto proc invuln trait

Easiest to learn how to be "ok" at:

Holo, Mirage, then DD.

Holo is easy to dump damage with, has decent mobility, and good survivability.

Power mirage is easy to burst with. Hybrid mirage (best mirage imo) has decent damage, good mobility, and good survivability. Pure condi mirage is trash (ok, it actually works well - I just hate it.)

DD does great damage, has great mobility (w/ shortbow), and variable (potentially good/great) survivability that's highly dependent upon your reaction time and knowledge of what to dodge from other classes.

All of them can be difficult to master. By master, I mean, instinctively know what to do and what to use in most situations so that you don't really have to think about it. Knowing most traits and synergies, what to swap to for certain situations, stuff like that.

> @"Magolith.9412" said:

> > @"LordSlain.5874" said:

> > Which these classes is less ping dependent? Holo, mirage or daredevil? I play with 150 ping and I want a good roaming as well.

> > And which is easiest to master?

>

> I play with 100-200+ ping all the time and have mained a thief, engi, then mesmer since game release. You'll be fine. There will be times where you get downed from a hit that you've gotten out of the way of and the server doesn't know, but it doesn't happen often enough to make playing unbearable.

But which these three is more easy to mastery?