Twitch tells us GW2 is dead?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"eagles.6380" said:

> @"Danikat.8537" well for starters i bought BFA and am playing it

>

You bought BFA because you watched the stream, or because you wanted the play the game?

I do agree that twitch, youtube, twitter, facebook and all the other sites are a good marketing channel.

But they are only that, marketing channel.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"eagles.6380" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" , no thats total viewership, with every streamer playing the game.

>

> Personally, I find watching streamers playing games extremely boring (I rather spend my time playing the game myself), unless is it a competitive game (like CS:GO) and the streamer is a pro gamer.

Agreed. Unless they have some unique hook like it's a game they enjoy playing, interacting with the comments or in-game players or showing off something new in a game I might be interested in (or like TFS; adopting a character persona) then I'll tend to be playing more than watching.

First of all, op, you mentioned that Twitch is a marketing channel. This is true, but means jack. I don't see any commercials for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but people still buy and watch it. Heck, from what I understand, it's still one of Disney's best sellers. Marketing and the livelihood of a product aren't the same.

Second of all, I remember seeing a forum post asking if GW2 is dead no more than a year after it released. Ever since then, I've seen similar posts ever few months or so. Back then, the answer wass no, and it still is.

It would have more viewers if there was more entertaining stuff to watch. WvW was fun to watch for a while, but it isn't a big enough part of the game to have a variety of streamers and the like. Nobody wants to watch someone pick apples and feed animals in a video game, even if it's the standard issue Twitch girl gamer with a low cut shirt.

> @"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:

> First of all, op, you mentioned that Twitch is a marketing channel. This is true, but means jack. I don't see any commercials for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but people still buy and watch it. Heck, from what I understand, it's still one of Disney's best sellers. Marketing and the livelihood of a product aren't the same.

>

> Second of all, I remember seeing a forum post asking if GW2 is dead no more than a year after it released. Ever since then, I've seen similar posts ever few months or so. Back then, the answer wass no, and it still is.

Wait, you're comparing a classic Disney Film to gw2 which is a game, an mmorpg game, a specific niche kinda game??? Marketing and livelihood of a game are not the same you are correct, but they go hand in hand with each other. What big game doesn't have a big marketing campaign behind it. I guess we all have different view's on what the word 'dead' means when describing a game.

> @"eagles.6380" said:

> > @"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:

> > First of all, op, you mentioned that Twitch is a marketing channel. This is true, but means jack. I don't see any commercials for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but people still buy and watch it. Heck, from what I understand, it's still one of Disney's best sellers. Marketing and the livelihood of a product aren't the same.

> >

> > Second of all, I remember seeing a forum post asking if GW2 is dead no more than a year after it released. Ever since then, I've seen similar posts ever few months or so. Back then, the answer wass no, and it still is.

>

> Wait, you're comparing a classic Disney Film to gw2 which is a game, an mmorpg game, a specific niche kinda game??? Marketing and livelihood of a game are not the same you are correct, but they go hand in hand with each other. What big game doesn't have a big marketing campaign behind it. I guess we all have different view's on what the word 'dead' means when describing a game.

Whats your definition of a dead game?

Cause mine is what happened to WoT, population dropped from 25k on the east coast server, to 5k and most of them where bots, *thats* a dying game to me.

@"Dante.1763" Well for starters PvP in this game doesn't havea healthy player base, i'd guess the active population is probably a little more than that on each server, here's a link to a forum post that had a few reasons for people leaving the game in that game mode

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36950/is-the-pvp-population-shrinking-and-if-so-why

In WvW if you want to roam, you have to run around for 15-20 minutes looking for a decent fight, or even someone, unless you have an ace computer and enjoy spamming zerg fights on peak times.

PvE wise i feel like the game a solo rpg with content that you play solo most of the time, the emphasis that they have put on the living world episodes over everything else kinda highlights this. Raid content is meh and you have big streamers who are partnered with Anet complaining about the lack of content in terms of raids. I don't raid much myself partly because i play off peak times and there is no one up on lfg.

Maybe it's not dead if you enjoy playing solo content and the living world story but as an MMO it doesn't look good.

> @"eagles.6380" said:

> @"Dante.1763" Well for starters PvP in this game doesn't havea healthy player base, i'd guess the active population is probably a little more than that on each server, here's a link to a forum post that had a few reasons for people leaving the game in that game mode

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36950/is-the-pvp-population-shrinking-and-if-so-why

>

> In WvW if you want to roam, you have to run around for 15-20 minutes looking for a decent fight, or even someone, unless you have an ace computer and enjoy spamming zerg fights on peak times.

>

> PvE wise i feel like the game a solo rpg with content that you play solo most of the time, the emphasis that they have put on the living world episodes over everything else kinda highlights this. Raid content is meh and you have big streamers who are partnered with Anet complaining about the lack of content in terms of raids. I don't raid much myself partly because i play off peak times and there is no one up on lfg.

>

> Maybe it's not dead if you enjoy playing solo content and the living world story but as an MMO it doesn't look good.

Weve had entirely different experiences then honestly. Outside of PVP of course, which i dont take part in, not because its terrible, but because i dont want to do any kind kind of PVP as either an Ele or a Ranger. In WVW on both servers ive been on(Fergussons Crossing for five years, and Tarnished Coast for the last 6 months ive had tons of player interaction both on my own server and the enemy servers weve gone against even though i try to avoid them xD, at all hours of the day so im sorry you havent, though that might be because you play during off peak hours.

The game is marketed towards solo casual players so of course thats going to be what the majority of the content is. Raids are small(playerbase) challenging content and they are marketed as such, the GW2 team *knows* that alot of players wont do them, and if you look at the fractal/raid/dungeon forum a ton of people(the large portion of the game the playerbase is aimed at) find raids to challenging and want it easier, or an easy mode added and honestly i cant really blame them despite loving raids.

But, i guess each person has different standards and such, thank you for answering :)

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"eagles.6380" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" Well for starters PvP in this game doesn't havea healthy player base, i'd guess the active population is probably a little more than that on each server, here's a link to a forum post that had a few reasons for people leaving the game in that game mode

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36950/is-the-pvp-population-shrinking-and-if-so-why

> >

> > In WvW if you want to roam, you have to run around for 15-20 minutes looking for a decent fight, or even someone, unless you have an ace computer and enjoy spamming zerg fights on peak times.

> >

> > PvE wise i feel like the game a solo rpg with content that you play solo most of the time, the emphasis that they have put on the living world episodes over everything else kinda highlights this. Raid content is meh and you have big streamers who are partnered with Anet complaining about the lack of content in terms of raids. I don't raid much myself partly because i play off peak times and there is no one up on lfg.

> >

> > Maybe it's not dead if you enjoy playing solo content and the living world story but as an MMO it doesn't look good.

>

> Weve had entirely different experiences then honestly. Outside of PVP of course, which i dont take part in, not because its terrible, but because i dont want to do any kind kind of PVP as either an Ele or a Ranger. In WVW on both servers ive been on(Fergussons Crossing for five years, and Tarnished Coast for the last 6 months ive had tons of player interaction both on my own server and the enemy servers weve gone against even though i try to avoid them xD, at all hours of the day so im sorry you havent, though that might be because you play during off peak hours.

>

> The game is marketed towards solo casual players so of course thats going to be what the majority of the content is. Raids are small(playerbase) challenging content and they are marketed as such, the GW2 team *knows* that alot of players wont do them, and if you look at the fractal/raid/dungeon forum a ton of people(the large portion of the game the playerbase is aimed at) find raids to challenging and want it easier, or an easy mode added and honestly i cant really blame them despite loving raids.

>

> But, i guess each person has different standards and such, thank you for answering :)

Surely, if you're a solo player, the game can never die?