PoF Reward structure and Metas

Hiya! I'm a big fan of PoF maps, and I've taken it upon myself to command metas. I've been hosting PoF events each week.

However, has there been any consideration to look at PoF rewards and meta event structure?

**Buried Treasure**

One of the biggest sore thumbs is the buried treasure. To be quite frank, they aren't worth it. Often times you spend more money on waypoints than what you get from the chest. Research done here:

A similar criticism can be made to the Desert Uplands meta event, The Great Treasure Hunt, which is just more buried treasure. The loot isn't worth it.

**Elegy Mosaics**

Beyond crafting legendaries, what is there to do with elegy mosaics? Everyone I know just use the HoT recipe, for legendaries. Elegy Mosaics keep piling up in inventory and I have no clue what to spend them on.

Contrast with Crystalline Ore, which we could use for lucrative rewards like Leadership runes, or at least convert to Exotic armor to salvage and get ectos.

**Maw of Torment Timer and Junundu Rising timers**

As someone who tries to organize PoF Metas, it frustrates me to no end that these events aren't on a formal timer. How can people plan out a meta train when Maw of Torment just spawns whenever it wants?

**Serpent's Ire rewards**

I'm going to be up front and say I DON'T want a difficulty nerf for Serpent's Ire. The thrill of overcoming it is precious. This game needs at least some hard events. But I DO want better rewards for all the hard work. This is one of the hardest meta events in the game, and yet the rewards are really disappointing. The Chest of Bazaar Raider doesn't give anything worthwhile, except when the Recipe is rarely worth anything. But even that won't be very long.

While at it, has there been any thoughts about the time the "safe zone" is over the Mirror of Lyss? It makes no sense to triumph over the boss, only for lightning strikes to continuously kill people again, before they even loot the boss chest.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> I want to know where the djin minis drop. About one year PoF got released and still not a single one was sold on the trading post. So the droprate must be absurdly low or bugged

This is a good point. A lot of exclusive PoF rewards are gated behind very low drop rates.

My own take is that having a super low drop rate is fine. It's nice chasing a carrot sometimes.

However, I think it would feel better if there were other great reasons to repeat content. For example, Chak Gerent gives plenty of other rewards besides the infusion. But events like Choya Pinata either drop infusion or squat. And 99.9% of the time it's squat.

> @"Kain Francois.4328" said:

> While at it, has there been any thoughts about the time the "safe zone" is over the Mirror of Lyss? It makes no sense to triumph over the boss, only for lightning strikes to continuously kill people again, before they even loot the boss chest.

Getting rid of Fury of the Brand entirely for half an hour would be a nice reward for completing the meta. Hint hint.

They really need to look at overhauling the metas in the POF maps, and some achievements that go with them, we completed the MAW event today on Deso and the rewards are bla, but the worst part of that event is the "Portal Spiker" achievement, it only took 5 people to spike it to complete it, which means that if you are not in that first 5 people who do not get a chance, and you need to do it 100 times, it should be if you are part of any team that closes that portal you get +1 to the spiker achievement, this is an oversight by Anet,

The way the game is moving now its like if you don't get into a map to get the Meta done within the first few weeks of the map going live don't bother, I would hate to be a newer player to the game now trying to do some of these events, as people avoid them due to serious lack of any decent rewards, thus its not worth there time.

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > I want to know where the djin minis drop. About one year PoF got released and still not a single one was sold on the trading post. So the droprate must be absurdly low or bugged

>

> This is a good point. A lot of exclusive PoF rewards are gated behind very low drop rates.

>

> My own take is that having a super low drop rate is fine. It's nice chasing a carrot sometimes.

>

> However, I think it would feel better if there were other great reasons to repeat content. For example, Chak Gerent gives plenty of other rewards besides the infusion. But events like Choya Pinata either drop infusion or squat. And 99.9% of the time it's squat.

Well there is a difference between super low and so low that after a year noone offered one for sale. At least minis like the junundu are ocassionally offered for sale, but the djins seem to be a whole different league

> **Elegy Mosaics**

>

> Beyond crafting legendaries, what is there to do with elegy mosaics? Everyone I know just use the HoT recipe, for legendaries. Elegy Mosaics keep piling up in inventory and I have no clue what to spend them on.

>

> Contrast with Crystalline Ore, which we could use for lucrative rewards like Leadership runes, or at least convert to Exotic armor to salvage and get ectos.

>

Elegy Mosaics are used for the Funerary weapons, which are one of the absolute best looking weapon sets Guild Wars has seen outside of a Black Lion chest. They are also used for the armor set which has a bunch of really excellent pieces across the three weight classes. This weapon and armor set far outclasses any of the sets that came with HoT (with the exception of maybe the Pact Fleet weapons).

The ability to use them for grinding out a legendary was added later and is still just an alternate path.

Ignoring this fact lessens much of the value your post may have had.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

>

> > **Elegy Mosaics**

> >

> > Beyond crafting legendaries, what is there to do with elegy mosaics? Everyone I know just use the HoT recipe, for legendaries. Elegy Mosaics keep piling up in inventory and I have no clue what to spend them on.

> >

> > Contrast with Crystalline Ore, which we could use for lucrative rewards like Leadership runes, or at least convert to Exotic armor to salvage and get ectos.

> >

> Elegy Mosaics are used for the Funerary weapons, which are one of the absolute best looking weapon sets Guild Wars has seen outside of a Black Lion chest. They are also used for the armor set which has a bunch of really excellent pieces across the three weight classes. This weapon and armor set far outclasses any of the sets that came with HoT (with the exception of maybe the Pact Fleet weapons).

> The ability to use them for grinding out a legendary was added later and is still just an alternate path.

>

> Ignoring this fact lessens much of the value your post may have had.

>

Still, it would be nice if there were some sink for people with no interest in funerary stuff.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> I think hot did a good overall job with that. Woth the general rewards the metas probide being good outside the rare ultra great drop.

It would be nice to someday see PoF revisited. Though I think anet is moving forward? Some minor tweaks/polish would be nice before the next expansion though.

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > I think hot did a good overall job with that. Woth the general rewards the metas probide being good outside the rare ultra great drop.

>

> It would be nice to someday see PoF revisited. Though I think anet is moving forward? Some minor tweaks/polish would be nice before the next expansion though.

Honestly id rather see them focus on getting right the 3rd expac, going from 1 extreme in terms of maps to the other is imho bad and although i personally love the hot maps i could cope with the third exoac being half and half metas and vanilla borefest type of maps (or well 70-30 hot and vanilla maps)

The lw is keeping the ppl that are interested in that busy (sort of) so for another year of that content i think its gonna be fine. I really hope the next expansion is endgame content focushed like hot tho.

Junundu Rising, Maws of Torment and you missed Forged in Fire are all big Path of Fire meta events that have the same issues.

1) They are not on a timer, this isn't a major issue btw if the other problems didn't exist as well

2) The event range is very limited, you can't see if they are active unless you are on top of the event, this means you can't go around and do other things while waiting for the events to start, you must stand still at the start area and play Wait Wars 2

3) To make it even more frustrating, there is zero event progress that shows when the event will be up. The event is up, when it is... up, there is no preparation.

In contrast the Augury Rock meta event:

1) Doesn't have a timer, yet it's not a problem

2) The event range covers 3/4 of the map, easily visible from anywhere while you are doing anything else you want, no Wait Wars

3) The meta has many steps as seen here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Path_to_Ascension

At a glance you know how close you are to the event you want

Augury Rock has its own problems, such as not being on a formal timer, and the cooldown for doppleganger feels too long with nothing in between. I can't properly fit it into meta trains. However, I will give it a pass because it's fairly small scale and relaxed. The game doe need some random content.

However, for the Desolation metas, I cannot emphasize enough how much of an issue it is that these events are not on a timer. My zerg cries every time we mis the Maw! Q_Q

Forged with Fire luckily is on a timer. However, it's repeated every 2.5 hours instead of 2 hours, meaning it spawns at inconsistent times each day. Furthermore, the rewards are very disappointing. I forgot whether or not it even gives Elegy Mosaics. It's such a shame too because the boss fight against Balthazar's dogs is really, really cool.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > @"Kain Francois.4328" said:

> > Augury Rock has its own problems,

>

> Yep. I only tried it once, and Esscher decided to spawn inside the walls. So... that was nice.

>

Ouch. Never encountered that bug.

It reminds me that sometimes, I recall seeing South Lane stall during Maw of Torment. Hopefully that is on the long list of bugs to fix.