why is there no personal housing in GW2 yet

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate personal housing. There is not a single good example of that in any video game. It always feels alienated because how do you implement such a feature and make it a part of the story? Without that it's just weird and pointless, like IRL you'd walk out of your office during work time and start setting up you tent outside on the street because you think it's cool.

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

> I hate personal housing. There is not a single good example of that in any video game. It always feels alienated because how do you implement such a feature and make it a part of the story? Without that it's just weird and pointless, like IRL you'd walk out of your office during work time and start setting up you tent outside on the street because you think it's cool.

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

> I hate personal housing. There is not a single good example of that in any video game. It always feels alienated because how do you implement such a feature and make it a part of the story? Without that it's just weird and pointless, like IRL you'd walk out of your office during work time and start setting up you tent outside on the street because you think it's cool.

It's more like in real life you're homeless and lived at other people's places for a long time travelling around and finally decide you want a place you can call home. I see nothing strange with such a desire.

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

Or, in real life, you’d finish doing your work and then go home.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Clyan.1593" said:

> > I hate personal housing. There is not a single good example of that in any video game. It always feels alienated because how do you implement such a feature and make it a part of the story? Without that it's just weird and pointless, like IRL you'd walk out of your office during work time and start setting up you tent outside on the street because you think it's cool.

>

> It's more like in real life you're homeless and lived at other people's places for a long time travelling around and finally decide you want a place you can call home. I see nothing strange with such a desire.

I meant it metaphorically, it's a game, you don't need a home. Your job is to go on an adventure, not having a home where you can eat, sleep and take a dump, it feels just off. Also it has always broken immersion for me, because at one moment you are slaughtering monsters and fantasy creatures and in the next you're building your own home that actually serves zero purpose. Everything you need is in your bank or in your wardrobe. Remember Skyrim? Yeh, housing was only there to have an adopted child, not even your own, as if the hero of that continent mysteriously was impotent, and some "feel cool" stuff when you put some weapons on the wall and some armor on a puppet.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> to have it all taken from you for a server merge, only for them to say it was a mistake and re-introduce more servers.

> Now i'm sure that won't here right? No one wants server merges.

Since the introduction of the multiserver in GW2 a few years ago, there are no named servers/worlds in GW2-PvE anymore. Servers actually only matter for WvW.

So I am pretty sure that there will be no server merge related to housing in GW2 :).

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Clyan.1593" said:

> > > I hate personal housing. There is not a single good example of that in any video game. It always feels alienated because how do you implement such a feature and make it a part of the story? Without that it's just weird and pointless, like IRL you'd walk out of your office during work time and start setting up you tent outside on the street because you think it's cool.

> >

> > It's more like in real life you're homeless and lived at other people's places for a long time travelling around and finally decide you want a place you can call home. I see nothing strange with such a desire.

>

> I meant it metaphorically, it's a game, you don't need a home. Your job is to go on an adventure, not having a home where you can eat, sleep and take a dump, it feels just off. Also it has always broken immersion for me, because at one moment you are slaughtering monsters and fantasy creatures and in the next you're building your own home that actually serves zero purpose. Everything you need is in your bank or in your wardrobe. Remember Skyrim? Yeh, housing was only there to have an adopted child, not even your own, as if the hero of that continent mysteriously was impotent, and some "feel cool" stuff when you put some weapons on the wall and some armor on a puppet.

I know you didn't mean it literally but I was just indicating that it was flawed. I get that people like you don't see the point of this, but that doesn't mean there is no point to it for other people. If you cannot see that other people enjoy such a thing, then that's your problem. I will be fine without it, but if they do introduce housing into the game that will be a major activity for me. There's more to life than combat, even in a computer game. That's how I see it anyway.

It's not about right or wrong, it's about whether or not an activity will add something positive for enough people. As I said before, there are people who enjoy it. I cannot say how many but they are there and that's why many other MMOs have it. And aside from the decorators, other players can craft and find decorations to sell and ArenaNet can monetize this activity by selling some choice decorations via the gem store. There are many wins to adding this to the game, but there are two requirements.

First of all there has to be enough interest. I think there is but I leave that to ArenaNet to decide since they have a better view of that than we. And secondly, it should be implemented in a good way so that people enjoy it and want to keep doing this. That way new locations can be added and the long term is ensured.

What it does NOT require is that everybody likes it. There's simply nothing in any game that everybody likes.

How many threads asking for this do we have now?

As people have asked, WHAT should be in personal housing? The places that have it have it in wildly different ways. For example, in Second Life you rent (either game tokens or real world $$$) a pre-fab or buy a completely blank parcel then you have a certain number of objects you can use on that plot.

> @"Tsar CUBE.9281" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > I can think of others more often requested, ecspecially when it comes to WvW, and PVP game modes.

> > Hell, GVG is 100x more requested.

>

> WvW, GvG and PvP are for the most part irrelevant to 90% of the game's population. The meme that they are dead game modes exists for a good reason. I mean lets be realistic here, if the PvP and WvW systems got discontinued, the game would still live on. If PVE got discontinued, the game would be dead within a week. I'm not saying that those features shouldn't be developed heavily as well. But Player housing is a much bigger potential retention factor for the majority of the player base. Furthermore, there are a lot of people who didn't even pick up GW2 because it had no "farmville" factor.

>

>

One could just as easily say that housing would be irrelevant to 90% of ths player base.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> How many threads asking for this do we have now?

>

> As people have asked, WHAT should be in personal housing? The places that have it have it in wildly different ways. For example, in Second Life you rent (either game tokens or real world $$$) a pre-fab or buy a completely blank parcel then you have a certain number of objects you can use on that plot.

Well the discussion has been pushed more towards whether or not there should be housing at all.

Personally, the ultimate would be to be able to get an empty lot where I can build my own house by crafting with wood, metal, glass and stone. So you would craft elements like walls, windows, doors, steps, floors, roofs etc.

And of course a garden around it where you can plant trees, bushes or even nodes for gathering food stuffs.

Of course I would suggest also prefab houses since not everyone wants to build their own. Though it could help if players could sell prefab parts that they built themselves as well.

Then placing decorations should be free placement and not hook placement. There should then be the possibility to place decorations in and outside the house but also on walls (like lights and drapes etc.) and ceilings (lights, hanging plants, etc.).

A good chunk of the decorations should come from crafting and may require specific materials that you need to get from specific content like boss drops. Also a good amount of decorations should be earnable by being part of loot tables around the game and should be sellable via the TP as well as a lot of craftables (though some of it would be account bound as we have with crafting today). Then some choice items would be sold via the gemstore. If these are tradeable then people could also sell them for gold. This is not something that ArenaNet do normally but for this it could be the smart move. I'll leave that to them.

Is that a good start of some ideas for you? I don't want to make the post too long.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> Is that a good start of some ideas for you? I don't want to make the post too long.

You can have all sorts of fun if you allow free build, but of course if they did that there would probably be a rental fee.

My fave house I built in SL was done along a hill and meant to mesh with it (the entire exterior was grass, plate glass, then rocks and such on it). Lots of amusement watching people who flew/teleported not know they were on the roof of a house, step onto the skylight, and see a tree below them.

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

???

In more sandboxy things like second life it is natural for people to have houses. In various games it is not unusual to have some sort of a home base (here we have personal instances and guild halls). Any role playing community flocks to things like this.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> One could just as easily say that housing would be irrelevant to 90% of ths player base.

Actually, no, they couldn't. I was stating an established fact (though I'll agree the 90% thing may have been over bloated a bit). You on the other hand are making an assumption based on your opinion. Not only that but even reading back through the thread it's a minority opinion.

What I don't really understand is why some people really can't help themselves and go into threads to complain about features that someone wants in the game. You would think that people would be happy for those that get the feature they were asking for implemented. But for some reason there are always those few people that instead use it as an excuse to fume over the fact their own personal preferences aren't being implemented.

Player housing will be a great feature for the vast majority of the game, especially if it's implemented as well as the mounts were (which, might I add, a minority also claimed the game didn't need).

> @"Tsar CUBE.9281" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

>

> > One could just as easily say that housing would be irrelevant to 90% of ths player base.

>

> Actually, no, they couldn't. I was stating an established fact (though I'll agree the 90% thing may have been over bloated a bit). You on the other hand are making an assumption based on your opinion. Not only that but even reading back through the thread it's a minority opinion.

>

> What I don't really understand is why some people really can't help themselves and go into threads to complain about features that someone wants in the game. You would think that people would be happy for those that get the feature they were asking for implemented. But for some reason there are always those few people that instead use it as an excuse to fume over the fact their own personal preferences aren't being implemented.

>

> Player housing will be a great feature for the vast majority of the game, especially if it's implemented as well as the mounts were (which, might I add, a minority also claimed the game didn't need).

>

>

Actually yes it could, as demonstrated by the fact that I did so.

How is it established fact if you admit that your claim was fabricated in the very same sentence?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> Actually yes it could, as demonstrated by the fact that I did so.

>

> How is it established fact if you admit that your claim was fabricated in the very same sentence?

Good for you? I guess I could say the sun is black too but it wont make it any more of a reality. The fact that the vast majority of the player base doesn't care about PvP and WvW is an established fact, if you choose to delude yourself otherwise then it's really up to you. In my experience that number is 90% no fabrication what so ever but the person I was talking to claimed it was 60%. Thus I said the 90% was bloated a bit due to the population bias around me.

Poking away at my statement wont make YOUR desired features come into the game any faster =D

A housing system would be very welcomed. What I don't understand is why people get upset when the issue is brought up. If you don't like it, don't play it. I don't play PvP, and I don't belly ache when they release a pvp-centric balance patch. They released a whole lot of fixes to the raids a while back...did I rage? No. I don't raid either, but I know that people do, so ANet can work on whatever they want.

If Sun's Refuge turns out to be a player housing system, then ANet has listened to they're player base. This isn't this first thread on the subject. There are people that want such a system in game. Probably more than you think.

> @"bara yaoi.3824" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"bara yaoi.3824" said:

> > > seriously anet u would make a lot of revenue off of this and then ncsoft would be less disappointed by the annual earnings

> >

> > That is an entirely circumstantial thing to say

> > do you **know** there are enough people interested in spending money on this?

> > I'm not talking about a few, or a lot, I'm talking about **enough** people.

> >

> > Because every time it's 1 or 2 people praising the idea, and 500 comments following how housing would be a waste of time. we don't need 5 or 50, or 500 people spending money on housing accessories, we'd need 10,000 people or more occassionally buying something, and a handful of people buying lots and lots because they have money to waste

>

> yes

> people literally play games like FFXIV just because of its housing system, and it makes a lot of money off of house decorations alone + forcing people to stay subscribed to stop their precious house from being demolished from inactivity

> this is just on the forums community where most players are conservative. ingame there are a ton of players that don't use the forums, and if you ask them if they want player housing, pretty much almost all of them would say yes.

> your argument is contradictory as you are just making up numbers, and i can say that for every 500 comments following how housing would be a waste of time, there are 1000 people ingame praising the idea.

>

> please don't try to facilitate this flimsy agenda that you seem to have against player agenda in a thread that is supporting it, please go make your own thread discussing that issue

My agenda?

The only agenda i have is not wanting anet to waste resources on content that won't be able to able to pay itself back.

That's how companies go bankrupt

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> > What I don't understand is why people get upset when the issue is brought up.

> Because many of us would prefer ANet spend their resources elsewhere. That is probably the biggest reason.

>

Accept that ANet will spend resources where they believe will make them money. So when something is added to the game, it's not because they are bored. Also, ANet has stated that there are more than one team working on things. Teams that work on player housing (theoretically) would not be the same people that are working on PvP, or raids, or cat collections, or fractals, or outfits, or the gem store or whatever it is you like.

> @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"MokahTGS.7850" said:

> > > What I don't understand is why people get upset when the issue is brought up.

> > Because many of us would prefer ANet spend their resources elsewhere. That is probably the biggest reason.

> >

>

> Accept that ANet will spend resources where they believe will make them money. So when something is added to the game, it's not because they are bored. Also, ANet has stated that there are more than one team working on things. Teams that work on player housing (theoretically) would not be the same people that are working on PvP, or raids, or cat collections, or fractals, or outfits, or the gem store or whatever it is you like.

Im kinda in the same boat as the person above: If anet believes that their best way to make money is to sell furniture, or decorations for a player "home"..i fear for the game a little, not saying its the end, but it makes me a little cautious.