Commander model in the trailer.

shejesa.3712

> @"shejesa.3712" said:

> is using the current Commander model a deliberate choice that is aimed at pleasing more vocal persons of my race and the Social Justice Warriors or just an overlooked mistake?

How about neither? :) There will always be new ways to re-design your original characters whenever new content is released, and then we have to pretend they were always in the game. ;)

I had changed one of my characters drastically when PoF gave me the chance:

![](https://i.imgur.com/tK2PoyB.png "")

![](https://i.imgur.com/bdRxJlT.jpg "")

I also have one Asian looking character with ancestry from Cantha. I am certain there will be many more Asian-looks options once content from Cantha is added to the game. And then we will see a sudden increase of Canthanese Commanders. :) And frankly, even though I am "white", I am super glad this kind of diversity exists in the game, even when some of it is added later on ("Better late than never."). :+1:

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Surely, it's common for us fans to share a vision for a PC with ANet's story writers and/or artists and/or marketing professionals.

> >

> > Shortly after the 2012 launch, one of the long-time GW1 fans posted about their experience with trying to come up with the perfect (human) character design. They had an archetype in mind from before launch and admitted to missing out on some of the fun during _Headstart_, because they really wanted to get it right. Finally, they made their selection and started to play the game. 20 minutes in, they ran into one the ordinary, local color NPCs ... who looked exactly the same. The OP shared a picture of both and I couldn't tell the difference.

> >

> > Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

>

> This one?

>

> “I spent more than 30 minutes in character creation and this is the [first male NPC I found](https://m.imgur.com/TtcZ0)”

That was the one. I guess they were norn, not humans (still, same idea).

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Or it could just be that theres many different Commanders and their appearance isnt set in stone and as such there are no issues with how *this* particular commander looks.

Well the human commander is most definitely not a kourna/istan native, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the commander should not look like the natives.

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > Or it could just be that theres many different Commanders and their appearance isnt set in stone and as such there are no issues with how *this* particular commander looks.

> Well the human commander is most definitely not a kourna/istan native, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the commander should not look like the natives.

>

>

[Oh?](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kryta)

>Today, Kryta is a cultural melting pot, housing human refugees from all over Tyria. Ascalonians, Canthans, Elonians and even Orrians call this place home.

Please explain why the commander couldn’t be of Elonian ancestry, and therefore look like the natives of that region.

I don't believe ANET is trying to pander to black people or trying to be inclusive/PC with the skin tones/hairstyles/armor designs. Elona comes from way before PoF, from the Nightfall campaign in the original Guild Wars.

They're using an African model because PoF is the new, fresh thing, its purely promotional. When Cantha arrives, we will see more asian characters in the trailers.

> @"Aenaos.8160" said:

> Has the commander ever been a Asura or a Charr in a trailer?

> I don't remember.

> Too many humans in our trailers lately.

> Time to take the spotlight from the race that mainly serves as a potential food source and bad jokes material and move on to the fluffier and smarter ones.

I know they've used voice lines from non-human Commanders, but I don't remember any visuals clearly identified as the Commander (as opposed to generic PC, like on the clips showing the Beetle mount or the legendaries).

> > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > Or it could just be that theres many different Commanders and their appearance isnt set in stone and as such there are no issues with how *this* particular commander looks.

> > Well the human commander is most definitely not a kourna/istan native, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the commander should not look like the natives.

> >

> >

>

> [Oh?](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kryta)

>

> >Today, Kryta is a cultural melting pot, housing human refugees from all over Tyria. Ascalonians, Canthans, Elonians and even Orrians call this place home.

>

> Please explain why the commander couldn’t be of Elonian ancestry, and therefore look like the natives of that region.

One of my characters is an Elonian. All of his great grandparents escaped Elona when it fell to Joko and came to Kryta (not necessarily together) and for various reasons they and their descendants all chose to marry other Elonians, so although he grew up in Kryta he looks Elonian and was taught a lot about their traditions and heritage.

Which is kind of the opposite of my other human character whose family is from everywhere (because she's descended from all my GW1 characters, plus however many others I need to make up the numbers). According to her grandfather there's even some Orrians in their ancestry. But her grandfather also claimed her ancestors defeated Abaddon while Kormir just stood there, so I'm not sure he can be considered a reliable source.

> > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > Or it could just be that theres many different Commanders and their appearance isnt set in stone and as such there are no issues with how *this* particular commander looks.

> > Well the human commander is most definitely not a kourna/istan native, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the commander should not look like the natives.

> >

> >

>

> [Oh?](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kryta)

>

> >Today, Kryta is a cultural melting pot, housing human refugees from all over Tyria. Ascalonians, Canthans, Elonians and even Orrians call this place home.

>

> Please explain why the commander couldn’t be of Elonian ancestry, and therefore look like the natives of that region.

They would have been of mixed ancestry. Same reason that African Americans look different from actual Africans.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Surely, it's common for us fans to share a vision for a PC with ANet's story writers and/or artists and/or marketing professionals.

> >

> > Shortly after the 2012 launch, one of the long-time GW1 fans posted about their experience with trying to come up with the perfect (human) character design. They had an archetype in mind from before launch and admitted to missing out on some of the fun during _Headstart_, because they really wanted to get it right. Finally, they made their selection and started to play the game. 20 minutes in, they ran into one the ordinary, local color NPCs ... who looked exactly the same. The OP shared a picture of both and I couldn't tell the difference.

> >

> > Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

>

> This one?

>

> “I spent more than 30 minutes in character creation and this is the [first male NPC I found](https://m.imgur.com/TtcZ0)”

Knut, meet Knut

no no no no..... wait.

"I'm you from the future, and we totally become a bad ass"

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > Or it could just be that theres many different Commanders and their appearance isnt set in stone and as such there are no issues with how *this* particular commander looks.

> > > Well the human commander is most definitely not a kourna/istan native, so it's a pretty safe assumption that the commander should not look like the natives.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > [Oh?](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kryta)

> >

> > >Today, Kryta is a cultural melting pot, housing human refugees from all over Tyria. Ascalonians, Canthans, Elonians and even Orrians call this place home.

> >

> > Please explain why the commander couldn’t be of Elonian ancestry, and therefore look like the natives of that region.

> They would have been of mixed ancestry. Same reason that African Americans look different from actual Africans.

>

Yet most are still recognizably of African descent and with the way the genetic dice rolls, even people who look white (but have African ancestry) can have a black child, and vice versa. So even if the Commander is of mixed race (and there’s nothing that says s/he must be for even some African Americans have no mixed ancestry) s/he still could look completely Elonian.

Edit: interesting story that highlights the fact that your ancestry doesn’t dictate how you look. [blond Bombshell. Black parents, white baby](https://nypost.com/2010/07/21/blond-bombshell/)

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> There is literally nothing to get upset over. I remember in one of the ArenaNet videos they discussed the current model of the Commander, saying that it just fits thematically for Elona. Makes sense. They want to show off the cool new customizations (some of those hairstyles are *awesome*) and armor, and it makes sense, due to the story, that it's with an Elonian Commander. I don't see a problem. If the story goes elsewhere, the Commander might be represented by a charr (if we go to the Blood Legion homeland, for instance) or a sylvari (if we ever find out what happened to Malyck/explore the Maguuma Jungle further), or an asura, or a human who looks like they came from Cantha, or...anything else. "The Commander" is whoever fits the story at the moment.

I am ready for the Blood Legion Homelands.