Might Return - Have Questions

rvvd.6548

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Guild Wars 2 is not Pay to Win. Please see most player comments within this thread to understand why that is true.

> >

> > I'm very proud that we do *not* force someone to continue to open their wallet in order to play the game. Gem Store purchases and expansion pack purchases are **optional.** Depending on your personal preferences, such purchases may enhance your experience, but they are not necessary for you to successfully play in any game mode.

> >

> > For example, I like miniatures and have purchased quite a few. I also like mount skins, and buy those from time to time. But in both cases, or even in the purchase of full armor sets, *I gain no advantage over any other player*. My minis don't make me more powerful; my purchased armor does not make me less vulnerable. I succeed based on skill, using the components available as drops or as purchases.

> >

> > Likewise, owning Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire give players access to more things, but they am not more likely to succeed because they own it.

> >

> > I hope these details are helpful.

>

> I must disagree on one point. Owning the expansions does make players more likely to succeed. The most obvious example of this are the elite specs, which make our characters objectively stronger. The meta is dominated by elite specs nearly across the board for every class and in every game mode. However, that is as far as "pay-to-win" goes in GW2, and I don't know of any game (subscription or otherwise!) that offers expansions free of charge. So I agree that you can't really call GW2 a "pay-to-win" game.

>

This, it’s not a P2W like APB: Reloaded or other games but let’s be honest not owning an expansion (more specifically Path of Fire) will lead you to be left behind. Spellbreaker is better than core warrior, chronomancer/mirage way better than core mesmer. So on and so forth.

There’s also the fact you can buy gems and convert them to gold to craft ascended gear, legendaries etc. Hell you can buy gen1 legendaries at the Trading Post.

It’s not P2W, but strangely it is in some form.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"TheBravery.9615" said:

> > > > The question is: do the expansion pack professions give you an advantage over base professions? I'm not looking at other games.

> > >

> > > The question is: can you buy elite specs from the gem store? Can you buy elite specs directly? No you can't, they are part of an expansion, therefore there is nothing P2W about it. Your argument about "buy to win" is silly because it implies every single game with expansions is "buy to win", which means there is nothing really to change in GW2, if every single game with expansions is like this.

> >

> > If a game bundled an item that gave a character a huge damage and defense boost in pvp in with some cosmetic armor pieces, a minipet, and access to a new map...would it be pay to win? Even if the item giving a huge advantage was not sold individually but as rather part of an expansion?

>

> It wouldn't. That's what most (if not all?) mmorpgs do with their expansions when they increase the level cap. Guild Wars 2 is one of the exceptions because it doesn't have a level cap increase.

>

> Further, using this weird logic, Guild Wars 1 was a very clear P2W game because skills in expansions were vastly superior to Core or Prophecies skills (depending on profession) while some professions weren't even available only with Core, even though they were very powerful. Yet, I've never seen anyone calling Guild Wars 1 a P2W game.

>

> Somehow this idea that because expansions offer new abilities and elite specs equals P2W appears only on these Guild Wars 2 forums even though this same thing existed for decades before this game was released and it was never called P2W.

Did you know that in GW1 there was a lot of skills between expacs that did the exact same thing ? Sure some were uniques but it wasn’t as obvious as the power Elite specs give you. In my sense at least. Besides the game was just too good to not take an expansion :wink:

> @"Scar.1793" said:

> Did you know that in GW1 there was a lot of skills between expacs that did the exact same thing ? Sure some were uniques but it wasn’t as obvious as the power Elite specs give you. In my sense at least.

Most skills were unique the duplicates were very few, I don't know why you even mention those because they weren't even Elite skills. And the Elite skills were what defined builds in GW1, and further, there was no free version in GW1, which means Prophecies also counts as an "expansion" because it required separate acquisition if you owned another campaign, you couldn't use Prophecies skills after you bought Factions for example.

Depending on your chosen profession there was always a "must have" expansion, like Nightfall was OP for Elementalists, Prophecies was OP for Mesmer or Factions for Ritualist. And let's not discuss the "damage" EotN did to GW1 PVE with the addition of those completely overpowered PVE-only skills that soon after became mandatory.

The difference wasn't obvious to you, probably because you had all expansions to work with and never felt that a skill from a Campaign you didn't own was completely overpowered.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Scar.1793" said:

> > Did you know that in GW1 there was a lot of skills between expacs that did the exact same thing ? Sure some were uniques but it wasn’t as obvious as the power Elite specs give you. In my sense at least.

>

> Most skills were unique the duplicates were very few, I don't know why you even mention those because they weren't even Elite skills. And the Elite skills were what defined builds in GW1, and further, there was no free version in GW1, which means Prophecies also counts as an "expansion" because it required separate acquisition if you owned another campaign, you couldn't use Prophecies skills after you bought Factions for example.

>

> Depending on your chosen profession there was always a "must have" expansion, like Nightfall was OP for Elementalists, Prophecies was OP for Mesmer or Factions for Ritualist. And let's not discuss the "damage" EotN did to GW1 PVE with the addition of those completely overpowered PVE-only skills that soon after became mandatory.

>

> The difference wasn't obvious to you, probably because you had all expansions to work with and never felt that a skill from a Campaign you didn't own was completely overpowered.

The asura debuff was indeed extremely powerful and op on an assassin. Last I checked it was nerfed hard.