Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

> @"JustTrogdor.7892" said:

> Edit: Another update from Chris in the same reddit thread:

>

> Feel free to give the codes (heroic edition or outfit) out to whomever you want! We're only closing the new accounts being created by players who are trying to abuse the promotion to create a bunch of new heroic edition accounts.

Thanks, so grateful to hear that! I was debating giving the game code (if I ever get it) to a friend, good to have it affirmed that that's okay.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> It's doing wonders for the popularity of the app. When I looked before the promotion started it was showing just over 10,000 downloads on Google Play, now it's over 50,000 and showing as the number 1 food and drink app and it's still only the first day.

>

> Of course a lot of those people can't go to a store if they wanted to and others won't bother, but I guess it's still good promotion for them.

It may be a popular app but the last I looked on google it had a 1.9 rating out of 5 stars. Not all the bad ratings came from GW2 people either.

> @"Izzykins.8624" said:

> I haven't found this mentioned yet but is the "Log in with Facebook" option sufficient to trigger the connected account status? Because it IS showing as the Facebook account being connected on the 'Connect Social Media' accounts tab, but it is not showing me anything special under my profile page.

Yes. When you log in with that, it connects. The next step is just getting the damn rewards to show up. That's the part I'm currently stuck on now.

> @"calb.3128" said:

> > @"icecreamedhotdog.3607" said:

> > very disappointed that the kung fu tea promos are only if you have a smartphone or such to download an app,and if you are on any social media.anet,there are players that for various reasons do not have smartphones or social media.very disappointed this is targeted for a select group/area

>

> Oh come on, that's really clutching at straws. The promo is accessible to players who use either of the two most popular mobile operating systems (whether that is on a smartphone or run on a tablet) and requires one of a choice of the most popular social media platforms available. Smartphones and/or tablets are used by a high proportion of the gamer demographic, as are at least one of the required social media platforms. I accept there are very valid reasons for people not wanting to use social media - I rarely do - and likewise for not wanting to link their account to share the information. Your data has a price, and if you choose not to give it in exchange for these items, that's your call. But to claim that ANet are deliberately excluding players from this promotion is way off the mark. It's very much up to the user whether they want to take part based on those personal choices.

>

> (The KFT sweepstake element is geographically bound, but that is for legal reasons. Disclosure: EU player.)

There are android emulators around.

Not related but this also answers a question I had for a week or so. "How is this guy streaming a mobile game?" The emulator looks useful for that.

> @"miraude.2107" said:

> Yes. When you log in with that, it connects. The next step is just getting the kitten rewards to show up. That's the part I'm currently stuck on now.

I logged in with facebook without making an account and that did not link the app to facebook. The app knew my name (because I logged in using Facebook) but when going to the profile where you can link your account with social media, facebook was NOT linked. It took more than a day until it finally linked instead of saying "something is wrong", and there is no reward showing up still, half a day later.

I think I just lost my chance on getting the code entirely -.-. I manage to see the gw2 rewards and tap it, but its not displaying the code, it gave me 1 minute to retrieve the code but there was no code being displayed, so I can't write it down or screenshot it. All I am seeing now is the guild wars 2 deluxe edition rewards :(

Edit: It says I have messages but it just shows "You have no messages right now.."

Edit 2: Back to square one. Somehow it got unlinked, oh well. I'll just give up for now and wait for few more days....

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > Let me get this strait. Guild wars 2 Heroic Edition gives access to the game's full mode? Meanig farmers are now got a dozen accs for free to farm laurels?

> > >

> > > No, there is a daily sweepstakes allowing people the chance to win a copy. It's one copy a day though.

> >

> > No. The heroic edition is given along with the costume code. The deluxe edition is a part of the sweepstakes.

> >

> > Edit: deluxe, not collectors

> >

> > https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862758-Game-Versions-and-Digital-Items

>

> Wow, so they're giving away their game? To anyone who links some social media account to some _other_ company's app?

>

> That's... baffling to me.

Well it’s just the core game which is already free. All this does is remove the restrictions which were more of a nuisance. Those trying to amass multiple accounts this way are getting them deleted by Anet which is great.

> @"icecreamedhotdog.3607" said:

> very disappointed that the kung fu tea promos are only if you have a smartphone or such to download an app,and if you are on any social media.anet,there are players that for various reasons do not have smartphones or social media.very disappointed this is targeted for a select group/area

You can emulate android on your PC, and create a fake Instragram/Twitter account. I only use Twitter/Instagram with a throw away e-mail account purely for this sort of thing, and never link my Amazon/Google/my rarely used FB account to things.

Also, the amount of Westerners [specficially Americans since it's a US promo] with no smart phone are a minority, even more so when you only consider gamers.

> @"JustTrogdor.7892" said:

> Update from Chris Cleary on accounts that have been banned for using the promotion code for the Heroic Edition:

>

> https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5ahhgh/

> >To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so.

This is kinda messed up. To my knowledge there is no rule against creating tons of new accounts, also there is not a single rule that forbids you from taking part in that promotion multiple times, hell some people even got multiple codes for just signing up once. Also what does "heavily abuse" mean?

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> This is one of the few items that have been completely unobtainable for the past 6 years, so everyone is jumping on it like crazy. Kind of a shame how poorly it played out. Of course people are upset. Anet just send us all the code and we'll promise to go chug some bubble tea.

Yeah, i'll buy the very first next Concorde flight ticket. From France to New-York to drink some KFT, as soon as i'll have this outfit. XD

> @"Sapphire Artemis.3062" said:

> Is anyone else having an issue where the rewards have shown up, but trying to claim it crashes the app?

Stuck at the same step. I keep trying. Waiting for this to be fixed. (or for bots to stop over clicking)

> @"kokiman.2364" said:

> > @"JustTrogdor.7892" said:

> > Update from Chris Cleary on accounts that have been banned for using the promotion code for the Heroic Edition:

> >

> > https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5ahhgh/

> > >To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so.

>

> This is kinda messed up. To my knowledge there is no rule against creating tons of new accounts, also there is not a single rule that forbids you from taking part in that promotion multiple times, hell some people even got multiple codes for just signing up once. Also what does "heavily abuse" mean?

>

Exactly this. People are up in arms over how unfair the whole thing is with some being able to get one or more of the codes while others can't. Is it unfair? Very. But how does this constitute an abuse? You'd assume the average person WILL take the extra codes if he/she discovers that it is possible to do so, whether intentionally or otherwise. That's why things get tested before release, to prevent these loopholes from happening.

There is no rule against having multiple accounts, as many people do. Being able to obtain it (multiples, even) for free via a promotion should not invalidate that.

I fail to see how people who used or signed up for multiple social media accounts and/or got multiple codes out of one account broke any rule. Like I said, unfair, but not illegal. How do you even determine if someone who used the accounts of their family members to get multiple codes to be abusing the system? Are their family members not allowed to play the game? All the arguments about bots, people getting free accounts for login rewards & crashing the economy does not negate the fact that these people got the account following contest rules, and to my knowledge, there wasn't any rule limiting the entry to one per person / mobile / IP or whatnot.

The whole banning of accounts that we hear of in increasing frequency is just a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly-thought out promotion. Please take time to think things through.

> @"Sealbit.7961" said:

> Exactly this. People are up in arms over how unfair the whole thing is with some being able to get one or more of the codes while others can't. Is it unfair? Very. But how does this constitute an abuse? You'd assume the average person WILL take the extra codes if he/she discovers that it is possible to do so, whether intentionally or otherwise. That's why things get tested before release, to prevent these loopholes from happening.

>

> There is no rule against having multiple accounts, as many people do. Being able to obtain it (multiples, even) for free via a promotion should not invalidate that.

>

> I fail to see how people who used or signed up for multiple social media accounts and/or got multiple codes out of one account broke any rule. Like I said, unfair, but not illegal. How do you even determine if someone who used the accounts of their family members to get multiple codes to be abusing the system? Are their family members not allowed to play the game? All the arguments about bots, people getting free accounts for login rewards & crashing the economy does negate the fact that these people got the account following contest rules, and to my knowledge, there wasn't any rule limiting the entry to one per person / mobile / IP or whatnot.

>

> The whole banning of accounts that we hear of in increasing frequency is just a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly-thought out promotion. Please take time to think things through.

First of all, there is no harm in banning those accounts, since they have just been created via the promotion-codes and no time or money has been invested into them.

And second, what did you expect? If some people could theoretically redeem hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards, then those must be shut down to prevent an underserved amassing of ingame-currency. We are talking about people abusing it, meaning they made several new accounts. I doubt they ban single new accounts, so if you are an honest person and just got one code you are fine. Overly greedy people can get what they deserve...

I have no option to link up my twitter with the kung fu app, and their web site says it's not working properly. I just started GW2 about 2 months ago and it's been a bug fest. I might have to move back to WoW myself.

Being new I have no one to email me the code either. What gives with this?

> @"Sealbit.7961" said:

> The whole banning of accounts that we hear of in increasing frequency is just a **band-aid** reaction to a poorly-thought out promotion. Please take time to think things through.

FTFY.

Exploiting an exploitable issue has always been bannable. ArenaNet is in their full right to deny access to multiple newly created accounts that have been created through this.

> @"Jojo.6140" said:

> First of all, there is no harm in banning those accounts, since they have just been created via the promotion-codes and no time or money has been invested into them.

>

Yes there is, people have spent time to create those gw2/facebook/instagram accounts to get those codes.

> @"Jojo.6140" said:

> And second, what did you expect? If some people could theoretically redeem hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards, then those must be shut down to prevent an underserved amassing of ingame-currency. We are talking about people abusing it, meaning they made several new accounts. I doubt they ban single new accounts, so if you are an honest person and just got one code you are fine. Overly greedy people can get what they deserve...

Any reasonable person would have expected that A.Net thought all of this through when they came up with the idea. I mean this idea had to go by multiple people who all saw no problem in giving away f2p upgrade codes by just linking a social media account to an app. I'm kinda shocked that seemingly no one said "this might be a bad idea and will cost us a lot of man power when we have to manually ban accounts and have to deal with the support aftermath after that"

> @"Jojo.6140" said:

>

> First of all, there is no harm in banning those accounts, since they have just been created via the promotion-codes and no time or money has been invested into them.

There is harm to people who legitimately want to play.

>

> And second, what did you expect? If some people could theoretically redeem hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards, then those must be shut down to prevent an underserved amassing of ingame-currency. We are talking about people abusing it, meaning they made several new accounts. I doubt they ban single new accounts, so if you are an honest person and just got one code you are fine. Overly greedy people can get what they deserve...

So what is the definition or threshold for abuse though. "Hundreds of accounts"? 50? 5? 2? What if a person paid for the accounts? And if a person has "hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards", then they deserve a banhammer? What logic is this? Is greed a bannable offense?