Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

> @"Rococo.8347" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> >

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > Don't forget the promotion goes on until the end of September. You can always wait for them to fix the problems, or just for demand to die down, and then try again later.

> >

> > Yes, this is exactly true. I've seen other forum members say the same. I totally understand wanting to get the rewards, but feel sure you'll be able to get the goody/goodies soon.

>

> Hi Gaile, could you confirm that the account upgrade is only usable to upgrade an existing account rather than a F2P one? im likely to use it on my main account as im only really after the armor, but I don't want to get caught up in any account locks with GW2 after getting a few from FB and Twitter.

>

> Could you also clarify if its enough to have just downloaded the app and linked social media so its just a wait or if any failed attempts wont be logged by the promotion? I ask because some people who set this up after me have the rewards. Basically im trying to avoid having to keep logging in and de linking, re linking or deleting the app and restarting.

>

> Im British and the thought of anything sullying a cup of tea like tapioca makes me slightly horrified but I want them shinies!

I'm not Gaile but I can tell you the Heroic Edition codes **can** be used to upgrade free accounts to full core game accounts. I used it on my free account and got the Heroic Edition items and many of the F2P restrictions removed (I can now use all 5 character slots for example). I still can't use the guild bank or buy/sell most things on the TP but I think I just have to wait for the new account timer to expire. As of last night (about 8 hours after using the codes) it was still working and I'm not expecting it to be banned because the account is over 2 years old and I've only used codes on that and my main account. But I'm not too worried about it because it is 'just' a free account - I made it to check out the restrictions and US servers but I hardly ever play it. Now I'll probably use it for login rewards and to swap some items around, but even so it's not a big loss if it does get banned.

I also used a second code on my main account and _didn't_ receive the Heroic Edition items, only a letter saying Welcome to Tyria which gave 4,000 Influence. But I think that's because I already had the Heroic Edition upgrade from the HoT beta bug and it does make sense that you can't get it twice on the same account.

I can also confirm that you don't need to keep downloading the app or unlinking it in between attempts. I went into Social Rewards > Profile, clicked on the Facebook option and kept pushing connect until instead of saying it failed it took me back to the Profile page and the slider was over to the right and dark grey, showing it was connected. I had to keep refreshing the rewards page, pushing the GW2 reward button several times and then refreshing my messages to actually get the code, but I didn't need to unlink and relink the accounts, or re-download the app.

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> > @"Tura.9312" said:

> > Where do you need to enter heroic code?

> > I got mine but I'm stuck at work now. Can i use it from phone ?

>

> The outfit you enter the code via trading post redeem item

> The heroic code you redeem it via your official account in this website .. under game account details etc just like you link gw1 to your gw2 acc

> https://www.guildwars2.com/

> --> Services ---> my account

You can also enter the outfit code on the website if you want to. I put both in that way because I was on the train and only had access to my phone and when I got home and logged into the game I had 2 mails waiting for me - one for the Heroic Edition and one for the Dragon Shirt.

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> They have many franchise and many part time employees. You got to forgive those employee not keeping up to date with the promotional thing. If you want to participate in the daily sweepstake all you need to do is buy the drink called COCOA CREAM WOW. The instructions is in the website and ap.. separate to the shop. https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/2018/8/31/guildwars2sweepstakes

Having worked in retail I can tell you it may not even be a matter of the employees not keeping up to date - they may have never had an opportunity to find out.

2 of the shops I worked for had websites which ran their own promotions and sales and we were never told about them, even if it involved buying something in store. As far as the company was concerned if it was online it didn't involve us - we didn't need to know why the customer was buying a particular product or what they did with it afterwards and the fact that some people would literally yell at us for not being able to walk them through the process was apparently our problem.

> @"DeWolfe.2174" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"DeWolfe.2174" said:

> > > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > > > > > What promotion? I am gonna assume this was advertised on social media and ask what it is? We need to take a picture with a box of tea?

> > > > >

> > > > > It's on the Launcher, social media, game magazine sites, forums, etc., etc.

> > > > >

> > > > > Here's a link: https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/2018/8/31/guildwars2sweepstakes

> > > >

> > > > It says we need to link an account to it in order to even register. Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter?

> > > > I know what Facebook is and I don't use it. I think Instagram is a cloud image library that people can see? And Twitter is a public text I think.

> > > >

> > > > Why can't we just link it to our account?

> > >

> > > Because your GW2 account doesn't have any valuable real life data. **Your social media accounts have valuable data** to mine. Which is likely whats paying for the promotion really.

> >

> > Which is why for stuff like this I use a fake account with fake info. I’m not going to hand out personal info to some unknown company and their “who knows who designed it” app. They get the publicity and the login numbers to show to management and I get some pixels. Fair enough trade as far as I’m concerned.

> If the app is on a phone, they'll likely grab your device id, phone number, and contact list.

> Then merge the data by the device ID and phone number.

> You'll get swept up by others that have you in their contact list anyway.

> Big data is disgusting and unavoidable.

Unless you're in the EU where that's illegal (regardless of where the company is based - the law is applied to all customers in the EU). They have to tell you exactly what data they are collecting when you sign up and can only use it for the purposes they tell you about. I'm still going to unlink my Facebook account and delete the app as soon as I'm sure I'm done with it, but I'm also sure if they do anything like that with the data someone will follow up and they'll have a very expensive lawsuit to deal with.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised the codes work on free accounts. I ended up with 2 codes so I thought I'd try, because why not? But I wasn't sure it'd work, or I thought it would give me the items and leave the F2P restrictions in place. I'm not too worried about my free account being banned because it's over 2 years old (maybe 3 years old..whenever free accounts first became available), so obviously not created for this promotion, and I only upgraded that and my main account. But also it's 'just' a free account - I hardly ever play it and never buy gems for it or anything so if it does get banned it's not a big loss.

If I've understood correctly they're only banning accounts where they can tell one person (or IP address?) has made a lot of new accounts and applied Heroic Edition codes to them. I don't know what the cut-off point is where Anet decides it's too many accounts but I assume it's more than 1 full paid account and 1 free account.

IMO it would have been more sensible to make the codes only give the items and not remove F2P restrictions. But Anet have given the core game away before - you get it with HoT or PoF, it's been on sale for as little as $10 and I'm sure there's been other promotions, just not on this scale. Maybe they predicted the risk and were prepared to spend the time catching and banning botters and gold sellers taking advantage of the promotion, and thought it would be worth the hassle to get a bunch of new players.

> @"Shadowzerk.4715" said:

> er.... so this promotion is for US players only?

> wow..... alright...... thx anet

No it isn't. The only part which is restricted to the US is the daily prize draw to win a copy of HoT and PoF. Anyone, anywhere in the world can get the dragon t-shirt and Heroic Edition codes.

You do need a smart phone and at least one account for Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, but as discussed earlier in this topic you can use an Android emulator on your PC if you don't have a smartphone and create a temporary account on one of those sites if you don't have one already or don't want to link it (you can even create a new email address to use when setting up the social media account if you want an extra layer of anonymity) then delete it and the app once you've got the codes.

In other words if you can play GW2 you have everything you need to claim the codes.

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> It finally worked for me! When I logged in today my reward was in my messages! So got my Heroic Edition and the Outfit.

>

> Activated my Heroic Account to see if it worked and it did :) havent really dared to out the outfit on my main account because I’ve seen people been banned for it. So gonna wait a few days.

I haven't heard of anyone being banned for using the outfit code, only for making multiple brand new accounts using the Heroic Edition code. Even then it's not clear if just creating the accounts is enough or if they've also been using them for botting/gold selling.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"notebene.3190" said:

> > > When the reward list finally comes up, I don’t see the one for the outfit any more. Just the deluxe giveaway entry and the three $1 ones now. :/

> >

> > Same

> That's where I'm at right now too.

Yeah me too. I certainly hope I don't need to give it permissions, because to be blunt, after the incident in April, I don't trust my personal information with anything tied to gw2. I'm definitely using a burner FB for this.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > It finally worked for me! When I logged in today my reward was in my messages! So got my Heroic Edition and the Outfit.

> >

> > Activated my Heroic Account to see if it worked and it did :) havent really dared to out the outfit on my main account because I’ve seen people been banned for it. So gonna wait a few days.

>

> I haven't heard of anyone being banned for using the outfit code, only for making multiple brand new accounts using the Heroic Edition code. Even then it's not clear if just creating the accounts is enough or if they've also been using them for botting/gold selling.

Yea we dont really know, but I didnt feel like risking a ban on my main account.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Shadowzerk.4715" said:

> > er.... so this promotion is for US players only?

> > wow..... alright...... thx anet

>

> No it isn't. The only part which is restricted to the US is the daily prize draw to win a copy of HoT and PoF. Anyone, anywhere in the world can get the dragon t-shirt and Heroic Edition codes.

>

> You do need a smart phone and at least one account for Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, but as discussed earlier in this topic you can use an Android emulator on your PC if you don't have a smartphone and create a temporary account on one of those sites if you don't have one already or don't want to link it (you can even create a new email address to use when setting up the social media account if you want an extra layer of anonymity) then delete it and the app once you've got the codes.

>

> In other words if you can play GW2 you have everything you need to claim the codes.

i downloaded the app, and it asked me to share a photo of Elder Dragon Dream Delight drink....... so, it is for US players only :/

> @"Shadowzerk.4715" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Shadowzerk.4715" said:

> > > er.... so this promotion is for US players only?

> > > wow..... alright...... thx anet

> >

> > No it isn't. The only part which is restricted to the US is the daily prize draw to win a copy of HoT and PoF. Anyone, anywhere in the world can get the dragon t-shirt and Heroic Edition codes.

> >

> > You do need a smart phone and at least one account for Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, but as discussed earlier in this topic you can use an Android emulator on your PC if you don't have a smartphone and create a temporary account on one of those sites if you don't have one already or don't want to link it (you can even create a new email address to use when setting up the social media account if you want an extra layer of anonymity) then delete it and the app once you've got the codes.

> >

> > In other words if you can play GW2 you have everything you need to claim the codes.

>

> i downloaded the app, and it asked me to share a photo of Elder Dragon Dream Delight drink....... so, it is for US players only :/

if you do not want to read this thread for info or even accept answers from people who know better and go into length and make a post just to help you, then just go ahead and uninstall the app.

Me and my friend have been trying to get a code for days, day and night, and today we received a ++++(a lot) of codes. Is it safe to give them away? I got 5 myself. Mind in, im NO hacker, app didn't gave me any and today without me even claiming I had 5. I gave one to a friend that intends to start playing the game. Can I giveaway the rest to people that has no social media accounts or can't make the app to work?

Also, please dont personal message spam me. I will contact people I saw asking for codes on forum posts, I will not give codes to people contacting me.

According to Chris Cleary.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5aj5ye/

>Feel free to give the codes (heroic edition or outfit) out to whomever you want! We're only closing the new accounts being created by players who are trying to abuse the promotion to create a bunch of new heroic edition accounts.

I would wait until an official response comes back the company about the whole thing. I know they are looking into things on the other thread. I do recall hearing something from Reddit tho that might be an official response, but I am doing precisely nothing to claim anything until this whole promo has been investigated and sorted out

Also, correct me I am wrong if players are posting, aren't they already fully upgraded? f2p players after all can't post on the forums.

I think the DLC codes option are currently disabled in the app, as it seems they aren't showing up for a lot of people, it's just the US only promotional stuff that pops up. I guess they took them down because of all the greedy people exploiting the promotion by creating dummy accounts. Don't really see how they are going to get the codes out to everyone at this point unless ArenaNet just sends them out to everyone with an account that's at least x days old and calls it an Anniversary Gift. I dunno, that doesn't honestly solve anything either. Legitimately new players would be out of luck, which is sort of who I reckon the Heroic code is aimed at. I don't envy whoever needs to come up with a solution.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I would wait until an official response comes back the company about the whole thing. I know they are looking into things on the other thread. I do recall hearing something from Reddit tho that might be an official response, but I am doing precisely nothing to claim anything until this whole promo has been investigated and sorted out

>

> Also, correct me I am wrong if players are posting, aren't they already fully upgraded? f2p players after all can't post on the forums.

That's correct, you have to have a paid account to use the forum. But some of us have 2 (or more) accounts. But also the code is for the Heroic Edition upgrade - as well as converting free accounts into 'paid' ones it gives you a set of gem store armour skins (Primeval, Krytan or Profane), an 18 slot bag and some XP boosters. So it's useful for people with paid accounts as well.

Although I found out the 'hard' way that it doesn't work if you already have the Heroic Edition. My main account is from before launch but I got the Heroic Edition upgrade from the HoT beta bug - after beta access was removed they reverted everyone's accounts to the Heroic Edition SKU because apparently the old base game one didn't exist any more, so everyone who was in the beta (and didn't already have it) got the Heroic Edition items. I used the code from the Kung Fu Tea promotion on my account hoping to get a second armour set, but all I got was a letter saying Welcome to Tyria and 4,000 Influence for my guild.