Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

> @"Warkind.6745" said:

> I hit up Kung Fu Tea while visiting family, and they had banners/signage posted for just about everything except a Guild Wars 2 themed tea. And then it turned out to be a drink that was already on their menu, just with a different name.

>

> I haven't tried getting any of the in game rewards, but as far as the tea goes this promo feels a little hollow.

There is no mention of GW2 at all on KFT's Twitter either.

The tea that is supposed to be "GW2 themed" is all over their banner though, under a different name.

So, that always looks good.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> IMO it would have been more sensible to make the codes only give the items and not remove F2P restrictions.

Certainly would have prevented the (alleged) fraud and almost certainly reduced load on KFT's servers so most current players could get the code.

Hopefully lesson learned for ANet

... and for KFT, although since they don't operate within 100 miles of me, I have no (ahem) skin in their (ahem) game.

> @"DijitalKiD.2154" said:

> > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > I hit up Kung Fu Tea while visiting family, and they had banners/signage posted for just about everything except a Guild Wars 2 themed tea. And then it turned out to be a drink that was already on their menu, just with a different name.

> >

> > I haven't tried getting any of the in game rewards, but as far as the tea goes this promo feels a little hollow.

>

> There is no mention of GW2 at all on KFT's Twitter either.

> The tea that is supposed to be "GW2 themed" is all over their banner though, under a different name.

>

> So, that always looks good.

So this is a really one-sided promo. I hope they are paying Anet well for advertising to their player base.

> @"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:

> > @"NicholaLord.2630" said:

> > So I have connected via Twitter, and I can see "some" rewards listed:

> > - win free drink $5 and guild wars 2 deluxe edition

> > - earn $1 when you share on instagram

> > - earn $1 when you shard on twitter

> > - earn $1 when you shard on facebook

> >

> > Where is the heroic and dragon shirt (free gw2 stuff) reward?

>

> Currently disabled. I guess that's the only reason you were able to connect via anything in the first place. The rewards have been disabled, so the flood of new connections has subsided.

really?

why is it being advertised on the tea's website and social media and on gw2's launcher?

> @"Daroon.1736" said:

> So who did the team that thought this up think was going to benefit from this promotion? Thousands of Kung Fu Tea drinkers suddenly deciding to play GW2 and spend money in the Gem store? Thousands of GW2 players suddenly deciding to regularly drink at Kung Fu Tea? - Both seem highly unlikely scenarios IMHO.

No, marketing never expects to convert people in large numbers to suddenly start doing something. Ignoring the technical (and potential exploit) issues, these things happen:

* A particular type of drink is publicized; the more people who get interested in bubble/boba tea, the better it is for KFT.

* A particular game is publicized; the more people who hear about GW2, the better it is for ANet.

* At least some of the KFT regulars will try the game, because why not? Some of them will spend money.

* At least some of the GW2 regulars will try the tea, because why not? Some of them will become repeat customers.

* KFT and GW2 get "big data" to help them learn which social media their people use to communicate with others. (Again, pretend that there aren't people creating 50 accounts.) Sure, some of that data will be fake FB/Twitter accounts, but most won't be.

* While this seems like it would cost a lot of money to us, it usually turns out to cost less than a lot of print or internet marketing campaigns.

Or in brief: brand recognition (and big data) ends up mattering in the long run, more than however many people actually start playing/drinking in the short run.

(Mind you, this all depends on the promotion working and not being abused. I doubt we'll ever know if it turned out to be a good thing, a great thing, or a waste of ANet's efforts.)

The other night I finally got to the point where I had received a message in the app! (3 actually, but this was the first time any appeared) and when I tried to open it it screwed up again... ever since then the only GW2 promo showing has been the one that requires a picture and all of my messages disappeared with nothing showing in my history.

Hope I didn't lose out on my code. :(

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Daroon.1736" said:

> > So who did the team that thought this up think was going to benefit from this promotion? Thousands of Kung Fu Tea drinkers suddenly deciding to play GW2 and spend money in the Gem store? Thousands of GW2 players suddenly deciding to regularly drink at Kung Fu Tea? - Both seem highly unlikely scenarios IMHO.

>

> No, marketing never expects to convert people in large numbers to suddenly start doing something. Ignoring the technical (and potential exploit) issues, these things happen:

> * A particular type of drink is publicized; the more people who get interested in bubble/boba tea, the better it is for KFT.

> * A particular game is publicized; the more people who hear about GW2, the better it is for ANet.

> * At least some of the KFT regulars will try the game, because why not? Some of them will spend money.

> * At least some of the GW2 regulars will try the tea, because why not? Some of them will become repeat customers.

> * KFT and GW2 get "big data" to help them learn which social media their people use to communicate with others. (Again, pretend that there aren't people creating 50 accounts.) Sure, some of that data will be fake FB/Twitter accounts, but most won't be.

> * While this seems like it would cost a lot of money to us, it usually turns out to cost less than a lot of print or internet marketing campaigns.

>

> Or in brief: brand recognition (and big data) ends up mattering in the long run, more than however many people actually start playing/drinking in the short run.

>

> (Mind you, this all depends on the promotion working and not being abused. I doubt we'll ever know if it turned out to be a good thing, a great thing, or a waste of ANet's efforts.)

It isnt two sided like you are portraying.

- gw2 potentially gives the Tea company exposure to millions

- The teas social media was very small, and would be surprised if that gives gw2 a 1000 new customers.

So either the tea company are paying gw2 for the exposure, or there are some vested interest involved here? board level? Directors son etc etc

I spent two hours:

* Installing BlueStack android emulator

* Getting the Kung Fu Tea app

* Creating a Kung Fu account

* Creating a Twitter account

* Trying to link them, failed

* Creating an Instagram account

* Trying to link them, failed

**I'm giving up for now.** ~~If someone happens to have a duplicate outfit code, I would be thankful if you could PM me one.~~

**Edit**: I received a code from a *very* kind forum user. Thank you. <3

> @"Angelica Dream.7103" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > Do be aware: You only have to visit a store if you want to enter the drawing for a Deluxe bundle of the game. The Outfit and Heroic Edition bundle is available online with social media.

> Yeah but, try and get the shirt. It has been days and I have not got the code. Kung Fu Tea had no clue how to do this and it is just making your players upset.

>

> Come on Anet, just accept this promotion was a fail and give us the shirts.

>

> > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > Downloaded the Android app, logged in with Facebook, was told I had "Social Rewards." So I headed there, and the app crashed. Tried to link Facebook and got, "Something went wrong." Tried again and got a chain of crashes. Finally got the app to stabilize, then tried again. "Something," as always, "went wrong." Again.

> >

> > Was wondering why the Play store rating was so low :p Does the iOS app work any better?

>

> You have that wrong Juhani

> It is not Play Store it is Kung Fu Tea. They have no clue what is going on or how to code an app. If you read their blog they have a list of excuses.

> this promotion is the worst. Anet should just give the tee shirts and move on.

>

Not sure why you only quoted the answer, and left the question out. We all know it's difficult to get the app to work, by now.

Also, Kung Fu Tea didn't create the app, it belongs to popdeem; I'd imagine Kung Fu is as surprised and concerned as everyone.

I see the Deluxe Edition under the Social Rewards -> Rewards Section. I am able to link my facebook account(I do not condone the use of this social network) under the Social Rewards -> Profile section, but when going to Social Rewards -> Profile -> Messages, I do not see any messages for the outfit code. Well done, you've failed us all miserably.

Edit: And to the botters out there abusing this promotion, send your boy a code, also fuck you.

Reading all this is dismaying. I really would like the outfit (don't need the account upgrades, I have already got those and only want to deal with the logistics of one account). But I don't have any of the relevant social media, nor am I excited to make an account with one even if promised smooth sailing to the dragon t shirt. I've been toying with making a throwaway Twitter account (those are easily deleted if they develop issues, right?) but really, at this point, given all the frustration I'm seeing from you guys ... I would be very happy to get the outfit code from someone that accidentally got some extra ones.

I'll help with dungeons, fractals, DS runs, LS chapters, achievements, etc, to show my appreciation if someone does have one to spare for me. (NA server, east coast time afternoons/evenings, exact days/times subject to discussion).

If I had to guess there is probably a lot of work to be done before this gets fixed. The problem with this whole campaign was for a limited time people could easily get something for free that eventually people would be willing to pay real world money for after the campaign ended, outfit codes and full Heroic accounts (same as a paid basic core account but with bonuses). So it doesn't surprise me that people found ways to abuse the heck out of it to get codes they could sell, full accounts they could use for RMT, spamming etc.

I wonder how many of those free Heroic codes have already been put up for sale on those shady 3rd party websites. Anet is perhaps going to have to disable all the thousands of codes that have not been used at this point so the people that abused the system to obtain them can't profit from them, use them for RMT or spamming. [They have already been banning new accounts from people that heavily abused it to make several alt accounts](https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5ahhgh/ "They have already been banning new accounts from people that abused it to make several alt accounts"). Then they will have to figure out how to keep that from happening again before they can continue the promotion, if they can at all. Just a guess.