Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The USA is a multi-language country.

Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

> @"Vash.2386" said:

> The USA is a multi-language country.

>

> Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

>

> There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

sorry but i never saw an US-Only Promotion translated to german or french for people inside the USA !

> @"Vash.2386" said:

> The USA is a multi-language country.

>

> Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

>

> There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

My first lol of the day.. perfect way to start my Sunday morning, thanks :)

> @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > > The issue to me is more about the whole promotion in general then it being implemented badly. It rly feels to me like anet is selling their playerbase out to another company, giving kung fu tea some free online advertisement etc. while the way they gave it to us was as a nice gift of a free item for a simple signup. I rly hope they don't do this type of marketting action ever again, whats next, some free gems with every 2l bottle of coca cola we buy, or some fancy boot skins for liking nike on facebook?

> >

> > They pretty much did. We do not know the details but it was something along the lines of 'send your customers to our app and we will send our customers to your game'. If that is the case, anet fulfilled their end of the deal and KFT reneged ..... which is why there are probably lawyers in discussions right now.

>

> That is partially my point, they sold out their player base (as a first time and as to what to me feels like a test run to see if the playerbase reacts to it). The playerbase does seem to react to it, but only because it doesn't work as intended, not becaus they're selling our "loyalty" to another company. Wich is concerning in my opinion. This to me is much more triggering then the whole mount rng controversy, but because it doesn't work how they intended the focus seems to be on why it isn't working right, rather then arena net selling their playerbase out as a clickfarm for another company. I do not think however kft is purposly witholding their end for anything. After all, they probalbly aren't offering anything in return. All the participating players get is an outfit wich is already created and doesnt cost arena net anything new. They are giving some sort of gambling system for american players that buy stuff in their store with an rng system as far as I can tell but that again is no cost to arena net more then the maintanance of changing a couple bits in their server. (And I'm asuming kft won't even have to pay the price of upgrading a free to play account for that). So I'm just asuming that the system is bugged and to me that is just a sad distraction of what is really going on, wich is arena net testing the waters to see if it is ok for them to sell out to third parties.

>

> (For the record this is my 3d post in this topic and I wrote my 1st and 3d post whilest somewhat drunk and english isn't my native language so forgive my spelling and grammatic errors, I love guildwars and I hate to see it's ideals decline!)

I think it's a bit extreme to say Anet sold us out. They didn't sell our data without telling us or force anyone to join in. We were given the option to sign up if we wanted to and when you link your social media account it tells you exactly what information they'll be able to access. If anyone was unhappy with that all they had to do was not participate. Or use a fake social media profile, as several people did.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > > > The issue to me is more about the whole promotion in general then it being implemented badly. It rly feels to me like anet is selling their playerbase out to another company, giving kung fu tea some free online advertisement etc. while the way they gave it to us was as a nice gift of a free item for a simple signup. I rly hope they don't do this type of marketting action ever again, whats next, some free gems with every 2l bottle of coca cola we buy, or some fancy boot skins for liking nike on facebook?

> > >

> > > They pretty much did. We do not know the details but it was something along the lines of 'send your customers to our app and we will send our customers to your game'. If that is the case, anet fulfilled their end of the deal and KFT reneged ..... which is why there are probably lawyers in discussions right now.

> >

> > That is partially my point, they sold out their player base (as a first time and as to what to me feels like a test run to see if the playerbase reacts to it). The playerbase does seem to react to it, but only because it doesn't work as intended, not becaus they're selling our "loyalty" to another company. Wich is concerning in my opinion. This to me is much more triggering then the whole mount rng controversy, but because it doesn't work how they intended the focus seems to be on why it isn't working right, rather then arena net selling their playerbase out as a clickfarm for another company. I do not think however kft is purposly witholding their end for anything. After all, they probalbly aren't offering anything in return. All the participating players get is an outfit wich is already created and doesnt cost arena net anything new. They are giving some sort of gambling system for american players that buy stuff in their store with an rng system as far as I can tell but that again is no cost to arena net more then the maintanance of changing a couple bits in their server. (And I'm asuming kft won't even have to pay the price of upgrading a free to play account for that). So I'm just asuming that the system is bugged and to me that is just a sad distraction of what is really going on, wich is arena net testing the waters to see if it is ok for them to sell out to third parties.

> >

> > (For the record this is my 3d post in this topic and I wrote my 1st and 3d post whilest somewhat drunk and english isn't my native language so forgive my spelling and grammatic errors, I love guildwars and I hate to see it's ideals decline!)

>

> I think it's a bit extreme to say Anet sold us out. They didn't sell our data without telling us or force anyone to join in. We were given the option to sign up if we wanted to and when you link your social media account it tells you exactly what information they'll be able to access. If anyone was unhappy with that all they had to do was not participate. Or use a fake social media profile, as several people did.

Yea and we were told you will get this for linking your social media account and havent got it.

As a European this "promotion" for me has been nothing but a hassle and a major disappointment. I downloaded the KFT App, linked my FB account and that's how the story ended. As there are no KFT stores in my country, I'm fine and I understand in not being able to take partake in the lottery, but the free item(s)? I cannot get even those, checked the app everyday, no codes at all.

If ANet wants to fix this, at this point they might as well just put it for free for a limited time on the gemstore or send it directly in the mail.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Lisse.4597" said:

> > > > The issue to me is more about the whole promotion in general then it being implemented badly. It rly feels to me like anet is selling their playerbase out to another company, giving kung fu tea some free online advertisement etc. while the way they gave it to us was as a nice gift of a free item for a simple signup. I rly hope they don't do this type of marketting action ever again, whats next, some free gems with every 2l bottle of coca cola we buy, or some fancy boot skins for liking nike on facebook?

> > >

> > > They pretty much did. We do not know the details but it was something along the lines of 'send your customers to our app and we will send our customers to your game'. If that is the case, anet fulfilled their end of the deal and KFT reneged ..... which is why there are probably lawyers in discussions right now.

> >

> > That is partially my point, they sold out their player base (as a first time and as to what to me feels like a test run to see if the playerbase reacts to it). The playerbase does seem to react to it, but only because it doesn't work as intended, not becaus they're selling our "loyalty" to another company. Wich is concerning in my opinion. This to me is much more triggering then the whole mount rng controversy, but because it doesn't work how they intended the focus seems to be on why it isn't working right, rather then arena net selling their playerbase out as a clickfarm for another company. I do not think however kft is purposly witholding their end for anything. After all, they probalbly aren't offering anything in return. All the participating players get is an outfit wich is already created and doesnt cost arena net anything new. They are giving some sort of gambling system for american players that buy stuff in their store with an rng system as far as I can tell but that again is no cost to arena net more then the maintanance of changing a couple bits in their server. (And I'm asuming kft won't even have to pay the price of upgrading a free to play account for that). So I'm just asuming that the system is bugged and to me that is just a sad distraction of what is really going on, wich is arena net testing the waters to see if it is ok for them to sell out to third parties.

> >

> > (For the record this is my 3d post in this topic and I wrote my 1st and 3d post whilest somewhat drunk and english isn't my native language so forgive my spelling and grammatic errors, I love guildwars and I hate to see it's ideals decline!)

>

> I think it's a bit extreme to say Anet sold us out. They didn't sell our data without telling us or force anyone to join in. We were given the option to sign up if we wanted to and when you link your social media account it tells you exactly what information they'll be able to access. If anyone was unhappy with that all they had to do was not participate. Or use a fake social media profile, as several people did.

Pretty sure its not about agreeing to sign up and share your SM data.. its's about entering into an agreement with KFT and then they renege on it with some BS thrown in to make you feel better whilst your data gets sold onto the highest bidder.

Right now it looks like EU players got duped and ANET, though not the main protagonist, is certainly not blameless either imo.

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> Soo, the codes realy got disabled huh ? Right now i wanted to use one of the codes to get my gf her shirt, but nothing works anymore. :anguished:

Anet just blocked your non-US IP from official website and in-game store. VPN is the answer.

They aware of this, but still insist to do it, as if no one cares about whether it would encourage most player to buy codes from unknown source and using unknown VPN software. That's the problem, and they seems not yet giving any solution to this.

I think it's fair to say that we should hear something by the end of business Monday (tomorrow). But it's also fair to say that what we hear may very well be "Legal is looking into things, and I can't say anything more at this time".

If we don't get anything tomorrow, then you might want to clear your schedule for Tuesday to make some time to throw furniture and set things ablaze.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> I think it's fair to say that we should hear something by the end of business Monday (tomorrow). But it's also fair to say that what we hear may very well be "Legal is looking into things, and I can't say anything more at this time".

>

> If we don't get anything tomorrow, then you might want to clear your schedule for Tuesday to make some time to throw furniture and set things ablaze.

No need to ruin perfectly good furniture.. just keep the wallet firmly closed and keep ya fingers off the BLTP button.

> @"WSL.5931" said:

> > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > Soo, the codes realy got disabled huh ? Right now i wanted to use one of the codes to get my gf her shirt, but nothing works anymore. :anguished:

>

> Anet just blocked your non-US IP from official website and in-game store. VPN is the answer.

>

> They aware of this, but still insist to do it, as if no one cares about whether it would encourage most player to buy codes from unknown source and using unknown VPN software. That's the problem, and they seems not yet giving any solution to this.

I just tried this just because I had serious doubts and indeed it did **not** work although the IP was recognized as US and the account region was North America. Did you just imagine "this might be what they are doing" and then write it as a fact? According to my test it looks like just another speculation.

> @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > @"WSL.5931" said:

> > > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > > Soo, the codes realy got disabled huh ? Right now i wanted to use one of the codes to get my gf her shirt, but nothing works anymore. :anguished:

> >

> > Anet just blocked your non-US IP from official website and in-game store. VPN is the answer.

> >

> > They aware of this, but still insist to do it, as if no one cares about whether it would encourage most player to buy codes from unknown source and using unknown VPN software. That's the problem, and they seems not yet giving any solution to this.

>

> I just tried this just because I had serious doubts and indeed it did **not** work although the IP was recognized as US and the account region was North America. Did you just imagine "this might be what they are doing" and then write it as a fact? According to my test it looks like just another speculation.

Were you trying to get a new code from the app, or use a code you've already got? The promotion has been disabled since last Tuesday and no one, anywhere in the world, has been able to get new codes. But as far as I knew codes which had already been issued were still working.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Shikigami.4013" said:

> > > @"WSL.5931" said:

> > > > @"Glider.5792" said:

> > > > Soo, the codes realy got disabled huh ? Right now i wanted to use one of the codes to get my gf her shirt, but nothing works anymore. :anguished:

> > >

> > > Anet just blocked your non-US IP from official website and in-game store. VPN is the answer.

> > >

> > > They aware of this, but still insist to do it, as if no one cares about whether it would encourage most player to buy codes from unknown source and using unknown VPN software. That's the problem, and they seems not yet giving any solution to this.

> >

> > I just tried this just because I had serious doubts and indeed it did **not** work although the IP was recognized as US and the account region was North America. Did you just imagine "this might be what they are doing" and then write it as a fact? According to my test it looks like just another speculation.

>

> Were you trying to get a new code from the app, or use a code you've already got? The promotion has been disabled since last Tuesday and no one, anywhere in the world, has been able to get new codes. But as far as I knew codes which had already been issued were still working.

I tried what the person said whom I quoted (he stated that the codes people already have are blocked when using non-US IPs)

I got given a code to test this and although I was on a US IP it did not work, so I suppose the "ANet is blocking non-US IPs" is just not true.

Well this has gone swimmingly, would have quite liked that t-shirt but I decided to wait out the inevitable initial mess-up (because people still don't seem to grasp the concept of a launch rush) and get out later only to find out that, apparently, EU was never intended to be included.