Small Staff rework suggestion

OriOri.8724

1 sec...the ele has an auto that needs 1 SECOND to cast...oh my...that is really not good...an auto like i said...should never, never ever have a cast time from 3/4... 1 second is something that i would remove faster than a lightning strike.... a cast from 1/2 should be enough for an auto attack... ( also i saw that the staff is the only 2 handed weapon with a range from 1200 for ele right? then the casttime should never be 1 sec (on fire, i saw the other elements have a lower casttime...but 3/4 is simply nothing i would want to see on an auto attack...)...

> @Zarathustra.1458 said:

> I will be honest, I would almost prefer losing 5-7 seconds on the cooldown time and having more chaos storms than stronger chaos storms. I think Chaos Storm is such a beautiful effect, being able to share it more would make me happier!

Fully agreed, but I also think GW2 is **way** too spammy on its skills, so a less-is-more appraoch to skill design could be beneficial.

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> @Justine - I didn't realize that "buff everything" meant leaving 40% of the staff's skills the same as they currently are. And do you really think that chaos armor is strong enough to justify a 30sec CD?

Let's see,

Instant cast skill that grants cripple, weakness and protection and is supportive to facetanking gameplay. Totally needs to be spammed more.

Why not rework the skill into something more intelligent instead of enabling people who don't know staff 2 + ethereal field = chaos armor?

You talk about the skill, then compare that to the aura that is generated by the skill and the combos. A skill that does nothing but apply chaos armor for a few seconds is not worth a 30s CD and you know that. Quit trying to dance around the issue. This isn't a debate about the aura chaos armor and its availability, its a debate about staff's skills. And currently staff 4 is not at all worth a 30 sec CD and anyone can see that.

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> You talk about the skill, then compare that to the aura that is generated by the skill and the combos. A skill that does nothing but apply chaos armor for a few seconds is not worth a 30s CD and you know that. Quit trying to dance around the issue. This isn't a debate about the aura chaos armor and its availability, its a debate about staff's skills. And currently staff 4 is not at all worth a 30 sec CD and anyone can see that.

Yes and so you suggest lower cooldown. Anyone with 3 brain cells could say "increase AA speed, lower cooldown, increase duration". Someone suggested aoe chaos armor. Instead of aoe chaos armor why not go the route of staff 2 and add a blast finisher to it so there is more play to the skill overall.

A real discussion is always welcome. We could certainly add something to staff 4 as opposed to just lowering the CD of it. A blast finisher is an interesting choice, but most mesmer fields are ethereal, and blasting ethereal fields just produces more chaos armor, I think that ultimately this change would increase the amount of chaos armor we have over just a simple CD reduction if it was used intelligently.

You're right, anyone could have said "increae speed, lower CD, increase duration". But most people would stop there and not provide sound reasoning and logic for asking for such changes. Staff is a good weapon, it just hasn't quite stayed up with the current state of the game.

> @Carighan.6758 said:

> > @Zarathustra.1458 said:

> > I will be honest, I would almost prefer losing 5-7 seconds on the cooldown time and having more chaos storms than stronger chaos storms. I think Chaos Storm is such a beautiful effect, being able to share it more would make me happier!

>

> Fully agreed, but I also think GW2 is **way** too spammy on its skills, so a less-is-more appraoch to skill design could be beneficial.

I sympathize, but seriously, they should make all other skills less spammy, and let us spam Chaos Storm more...

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> A real discussion is always welcome. We could certainly add something to staff 4 as opposed to just lowering the CD of it. A blast finisher is an interesting choice, but most mesmer fields are ethereal, and blasting ethereal fields just produces more chaos armor, I think that ultimately this change would increase the amount of chaos armor we have over just a simple CD reduction if it was used intelligently.

>

> You're right, anyone could have said "increae speed, lower CD, increase duration". But most people would stop there and not provide sound reasoning and logic for asking for such changes. Staff is a good weapon, it just hasn't quite stayed up with the current state of the game.

Actually I suggested blast as an inclusive for all modes of play,

Black powder blast at start of PvP match,

Water/ethreal/frost blast in wvw for obvious reasons,

Fire blast in pve

A blast is a good all round addition and with the skill's current cooldown it wouldn't be obnoxious.

Yes, in all around play a blast finisher would be really nice to have on staff. I just worry that in a dueling situation it could provide too much access to chaos armor. Not that the aura is all that good in my opinion, but access to it still shouldn't be too generous. But I do insist that if the CD is not lowered, something is added to the skill. And a blast finisher could be a good addition to it.