[SUGGESTION] - Official Beetle Drifting Track

Synco.8203

Can we have a custom designed tracks specifically for beetle drifting and racing?

I'm imagining something like Star Wars Episode one with the Pod-Racer scene. Like a full on proper enclosed stadium track with jumps, well designed drift turns, straits and loops and barrels, and deathtraps. Maybe even add extra mastery points for skills that knock back other beetles on the track, or dismount spike strips. I know this isn't Mario Kart, but omg wasn't mario kart soo cool and fun. Currently people have plotted out tracks around tyria, this is cool too like the one in Hoelbrak, but the downside is it's too difficult to organise easily - people dont always know the track and where to go, and most of the time no beetle race partys are advertising for group. I think if this process was more "official" like a proper track and event sign up, with rewards and standing ranks like pvp and wvw, that will add alot of value and also incentive for free players to buy the expansion content and complete the beetle achievement.

Thanks for your time, I really hope everyone gets behind this... Show a +1 in the comments if you support this idea. Apologies in advance if this has already been suggested or ive posted this in the wrong place - first time on the forums :)

gg :)

+1 That would be fun. And of course your reference to Mario Kart is apt because the Rollerbeetle racing track in the Shing Jea Monastery in GW1 was, indeed, inspired by Mario Kart. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rollerbeetle_Racing

(Caveat: in that track, you *became* the beetle rather than using it as a mount.)

I think there should be some drift-using turns that are specifically designed to "separate the men from the boys", as it were, like the turn from the ring in lower DR onto the Dwayna ramp (under the plaza where the bank and TP are). I'm finally getting so I can drift that one and miss the cart on the left-hand side.

Wow I had no idea how similar GW1 is - never played it but now i can see the world map is kinda similar. Seems like roller beetle racing will inevitably be added, oh yes... i will be drifting up the front. I hope the devs can gear it more around skill rather than 'random boosts' - player skills and boosts could be divided into different racing Tiers and Ranks much like Fractals. I think the whole thing is a feature that could be expanded into more.

Thanks for you +1

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> +1 That would be fun. And of course your reference to Mario Kart is apt because the Rollerbeetle racing track in the Shing Jea Monastery in GW1 was, indeed, inspired by Mario Kart. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rollerbeetle_Racing

>

> (Caveat: in that track, you *became* the beetle rather than using it as a mount.)

>

> I think there should be some drift-using turns that are specifically designed to "separate the men from the boys", as it were, like the turn from the ring in lower DR onto the Dwayna ramp (under the plaza where the bank and TP are). I'm finally getting so I can drift that one and miss the cart on the left-hand side.

You've inspired me to start practicing with the roller beetle around DR. I have to be ready for the inevitable World Championship Roller Beetle Death Race!

• 4 weeks later...

I've since made a beetle racing guild 'Ace Rollers [RACE]' and designed two tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBvswpdKrk - Lions Arch Lap-Track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHNoCHurQmQ - Hoelbrak Lap-Track

Someone suggested looking into Overlays for marking out tracks, but these are only seen on your own screen because they are third party software not universally implemented in the game client.

On Second thought I think a better solution would be to update the Squad Markers to include the following;

-A directional line that you can trace the track out with, that illustrates direction for everyone who joins the squad - 8 markers is not enough and can create confusion.

-Start line and Finishing line, Check points.

-Something that Pops up Red, Orange, Yellow and Green Traffic light for starting Races - like an automatic countdown that is visual.

Also some racers are opting to clean turn corners instead of drifting it - should implement greater incentive to drift by increasing the boost earned from drifting.

Thanks for watching the Videos - I hope you like my Mesmer and Racing Skills - I challenge you all to try these tracks out.

If you are in Isle of Janthir, shoot me a message

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I'm imagining Rainbow Road on a rollerbeeetle now.

>

> Awesome

Woahhh... very soon: Gw2 Beetle Kart double dash. Would be cool to have a thread to suggest tracks. I want a giant race within a huge asuran complex, himself within a volcano.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > I'm imagining Rainbow Road on a rollerbeeetle now.

> >

> > Awesome

>

> Woahhh... very soon: Gw2 Beetle Kart double dash. Would be cool to have a thread to suggest tracks. I want a giant race within a huge asuran complex, himself within a volcano.

Ember bay could be a cool race track for skimmers. A few lava caverns to skim through. Theyd need a mastery to make them fire immune

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> the track needs to be completely flat for it to be useful, beetles are in general useless when to many obstacles are in a map.

> also, compared to pods, beetles are hard to steer, would love some pods tho.

Did you watch my race videos? They are not that hard to steer - just takes some practice :) It's good that it requires a bit of skill to control, it gives a bit of bragging rights to those who have more experience.

Ehi Sunless here from RACE Bettle League Racing Team the EU beetle racing guild. We'll start practice runs today in the EU servers to prepare ourselves for the imminent halloween event. Feel free to join us of you are EU. About the topic we created 54 official tracks all around the world. We have a Taco pack too to try them out if you are interested :)

Synco nice tracks. We built something similar in hoelbrak. Have you ever tried Dragon Stand? :D

> @"Acnologia.6934" said:

> Ehi Sunless here from RACE Bettle League Racing Team the EU beetle racing guild. We'll start practice runs today in the EU servers to prepare ourselves for the imminent halloween event. Feel free to join us of you are EU. About the topic we created 54 official tracks all around the world. We have a Taco pack too to try them out if you are interested :)

>

> Synco nice tracks. We built something similar in hoelbrak. Have you ever tried Dragon Stand? :D

I have seen the overlay, looks great - but does everyone in the squad see the custom markers? Would love to see your tracks, any vids online?

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> Why only a track? This deserves its own game mode.

I think a better goal is close to where it is going already - but it does need a little more support from the devs.

Concept -

Racing guilds, Race meets, Squad size, Improved 'track markers' for squad commanders to direct racers.

Pro's -

Encourage world exploration with custom track designs

Promotes the Race alongside non-racers in same instance/map/area

Encourage 'Racing franchise' with specialized guilds that can grow into rival racing squads (may need to increase server capacity players/map limit).

Con's -

Difficult to organize and monitor

No reward or ladder (gamification elements) structure

Limited to existing real-word terrain not build with the intent of being used as a race track for this specific mount.

2nd Concept -

Official Race Tracks and Event Tournaments and/or 'additional pvp' gamemode.

Pro's -

Creative/Design improvement of tracks and 'track stadiums'

Integrated Achievements and Rewards structure

Specifications and Variety of Race-types - e.g. Endurance race, Lap Race, Drag Race, Sprint Race, Drift Course, Downhill Sprint, and so on.

Universal Tracks, centralizes the learning curve and promotes greater emphasis on skill and execution.

Because it would be kick-arse awesome mmkay!

Con's -

Potential to undermine the games identity - it's not a car game, it's not mario-kart.

Depending on specifics, may isolate Racers from non-Racers, which is a loss of 'in-game' promotion.

Diminishes the community creative process of track design and map exploration/presence

I think the best direction is the latter concept 2, but the dev workload for that would be a great deal more compared to small updates that support the first concept, like squad marker updates.