“But I saved him” spoiler

Brycar.2651

Blish must have had some kind of disease (maybe that's why Taimi was so close to Blish).

Eventually Blish's disease spread that much, that the only chance was to transfer his mind into a golem. It was confirmed in this episode that Gorrik did this using the Inquest technology.

They entered this society so Blish could be saved, also the Inquest are more open to the new discoveries. (anyway thats my theory, not confirmed in the story)

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> Blish must have had some kind of disease (maybe that's why Taimi was so close to Blish).

> Eventually Blish's disease spread that much, that the only chance was to transfer his mind into a golem. It was confirmed in this episode that Gorrik did this using the Inquest technology.

>

> They entered this society so Blish could be saved, also the Inquest are more open to the new discoveries. (anyway thats my theory, not confirmed in the story)

I was under the impression that there was a lab accident but I can't remember what gave me that impression.

Also note, Gorrik did not invent the technology to bind souls to golems. The Inquest already possessed it, and during Asura Personal Story two lovers become bound to golems and have to live the rest of their lives that way.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Things_We_Do_For_Love

And yes, how they they came about this technology was a very unfortunate afair, involving many living sacrifices.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> Also note, Gorrik did not invent the technology to bind souls to golems. The Inquest already possessed it, and during Asura Personal Story two lovers become bound to golems and have to live the rest of their lives that way.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Things_We_Do_For_Love

>

> And yes, how they they came about this technology was a very unfortunate afair, involving many living sacrifices.

I had this in mind when I wrote my first post.

I loved this chapter! One of my favorites from the Personal Story.

I've replayed this scene twice, and I'm pretty sure he meant that he "saved" him in the sense that he saved Blish from death.

We know souls exist in the GW universe (ie ghosts), so I don't think that we can doubt that Blish was the real deal. Also, just like when Rytlock jumped into the mists, we never saw him die, so we shouldn't rule out Blish just yet.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > Blish must have had some kind of disease (maybe that's why Taimi was so close to Blish).

> > Eventually Blish's disease spread that much, that the only chance was to transfer his mind into a golem. It was confirmed in this episode that Gorrik did this using the Inquest technology.

> >

> > They entered this society so Blish could be saved, also the Inquest are more open to the new discoveries. (anyway thats my theory, not confirmed in the story)

>

> I was under the impression that there was a lab accident but I can't remember what gave me that impression.

I have the same impression too that it was a lab accident or something but it was extra dialogue of standing around them in Kourna or something, not interact-able dialogue. Not once did I ever get the impression that he had a disease like Taimi's.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> Also note, Gorrik did not invent the technology to bind souls to golems. The Inquest already possessed it, and during Asura Personal Story two lovers become bound to golems and have to live the rest of their lives that way.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Things_We_Do_For_Love

>

> And yes, how they they came about this technology was a very unfortunate afair, involving many living sacrifices.

This wasn't a mind transference, nor soul for that matter. This was a link between an Asura body and a Golem into a new thing. The process that Blish went through is entirely different in almost every way since it includes a complete removal of organic parts.

Also, depending on how you finished it, they didn't necessarily end up as Golems, the other option was to remove her from the Golem.

I agree with the people saying Gorrik was talking about the last time Blish nearly died. He definitely sounded more upset than excited and considering his earlier attempts to stop you saying anything I think he ran off to avoid talking about it any more rather than because he was going anywhere in particular. I think it was a psychological thing - he'd been through Blish dying and then they'd been able to save him and now he was ok...so he should stay ok and not go and die from something else.

But I definitely think the 'never found the body' trope applies here. Blish was in _a lot_ of danger when we saw him - not only under attack in the Mists but he'd just wired his body to the tracker on the sword with the intention that the entire lot would be eaten by an elder dragon, a being whose sole purpose seems to be to absorb and, as much as is possible, destroy magic (bearing in mind that in Tyria magic and technology are very much interchangeable - all asuran tech runs on magic and it's possible that even real things like gravity and electricity are magical in nature). But we don't actually see him die or even get consumed and the tracker was clearly intended to survive being eaten by Kralkatorrik so presumably it's power source needs to survive too. Whether that will actually work and whether anything else of Blish or his golem body would survive is uncertain, but it's not impossible.

And if not we've got numerous examples of people who were very definitely dead, from all kinds of causes, and continued to exist and in some sense live in the Mists and sometimes in Tyria. Including, but not limited to, Turai Ossa (aka the Ghostly Hero), Mad King Thorn, Vizier Khilbron (who died _twice_ in Tyria and was still hanging around the mists...where he was 'killed' a 3rd time), Glint, Snaff, Eir and of course the player character. Importantly even the ones who came back as ghosts showed an awareness of current events and an ability to influence them - unlike the more typical ghosts who seem to be caught in a period of time and largely unaware of anything which happened after their death.

I don't think we've ever had an example of someone being directly consumed by an elder dragon so we can't be sure what would happen, and Blish's unique form makes it even more uncertain. (Which, come to think of it means he'll be very popular with the asuran colleges, the Priory and similar organisations if he does survive. He could probably spend the rest of his life writing about the experience and giving talks....or all of eternity if he becomes a ghost.)

(However I'm also not saying he will come back. But it's more dependant on narrative forces than anything else - if the writers think the plot is better served by Blish dying then he's dead. If they want him back then he'll survive, one way or another and in whatever form best suits the story.)

> @"Kal Spiro.9745" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > Also note, Gorrik did not invent the technology to bind souls to golems. The Inquest already possessed it, and during Asura Personal Story two lovers become bound to golems and have to live the rest of their lives that way.

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Things_We_Do_For_Love

> >

> > And yes, how they they came about this technology was a very unfortunate afair, involving many living sacrifices.

>

> This wasn't a mind transference, nor soul for that matter. This was a link between an Asura body and a Golem into a new thing. The process that Blish went through is entirely different in almost every way since it includes a complete removal of organic parts.

>

> Also, depending on how you finished it, they didn't necessarily end up as Golems, the other option was to remove her from the Golem.

It might still be similar - but what Blish did was a more drastic version of the process. The intention of the project in the personal story was to create a golem/exosuit which could be controlled entirely by thought with no physical controls - and as a result one which responded faster and more precisely to what the controller wanted. The fact that the link went both ways and the controller ended up fused to the golem was unintended but could have inspired the technology Blish used. Presumably they'd need a way to transfer his mind and/or soul to the golem before the removal of his physical body.

Remember there's been 6 years between the start of the personal story and Season 4 and we've seen other tech develop in that time. Another asuran personal story involves a prototype teleporter which doesn't require a receiving gate (or any magical ability or training for the person involved) - that was stolen by the Inquest and they've used it periodically since and I think it even influenced some things Scarlet and the Aetherblades used. Now it's...not exactly common but not unusual to see. It could be the same with asura/golem fusion.