Fractals in tyria.

• ArenaNet Staff

It's kind of funny you say this, because I always thought of the Orr bubble in Jahai as a displaced fractal. Just because it isn't a fractal that exists in the sanctuary does not mean it is not a "Fractal" as it is defined in our lore - a trapped echo of time in the mists.

In early design we actually talked about having it be the searing of Ascalon, which is a fractal, but going to intact Orr felt more distinct and more novel, so we decided to go that direction in the end.

> @"Connor Fallon.9408" said:

> It's kind of funny you say this, because I always thought of the Orr bubble in Jahai as a displaced fractal. Just because it isn't a fractal that exists in the sanctuary does not mean it is not a "Fractal" as it is defined in our lore - a trapped echo of time in the mists.

>

> In early design we actually talked about having it be the searing of Ascalon, which is a fractal, but going to intact Orr felt more distinct and more novel, so we decided to go that direction in the end.

Yeah exactly i kinda felt it was abit of a missed opportunity that the pc didnt mention the familiarity this has to normal fractals.

Would imo be a really good touch and kinda give fractals this tie to the world that they lack.

> In early design we actually talked about having it be the searing of Ascalon, which is a fractal, but going to intact Orr felt more distinct and more novel, so we decided to go that direction in the end.

I'm glad you went with Orr. I liked tying it back to Trahearne's study of the pre-Zhaitan culture, and a specific poem (especially one with a missing line). Taimi's right: the Priory are going to be all sorts of amazed.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Is the fractal storyline canonically part of the Commander's adventures, or should we assume that our character is a random adventurer in fractals?

Ideally it would kinda be a one liner your pc says if hes done fractals at all. Or let taimi mention it since she will very likely be knowledgeable in the subject.

> It's kind of funny you say this, because I always thought of the Orr bubble in Jahai as a displaced fractal. Just because it isn't a fractal that exists in the sanctuary does not mean it is not a "Fractal" as it is defined in our lore - a trapped echo of time in the mists.

>

Just stopped by to say that your profile picture is 10/10.