Braham and Spiders

Will we get any backstory on why Braham now suddenly hates spiders? He didn't seem to have any problems with them in the Molten Facility, the Tower of Nightmares, the Mystery Cave (LS2-8), Roots of Terror (HoT Act III), and especially Frozen Out (LS3-3). While giving Braham a phobia we didn't know of before does seem like a fun idea, he already dealt with lots of spiders, so the sudden fear of them seems weird to me.

My best bet is that the writers didn't know about that part of the story or nobody else remembered it/dared to bring it up

Without waking up old demons, (and I'm not blaming anybody) but JP worked on the story for this season and she joined after that episode was released and without reading/playing through every single bit. It would be an explanation at least.

> @"Teletric.3821" said:

> Remember in Season 3, Episode 3, we went through that cave to get Asgeir's scroll for Braham that would let him pierce Jormag's tooth? There was literally a section where we had to kill spiders and Braham did not seem to care AT ALL. So what made Braham so suddenly afraid of spiders?

He literally says here, "Rox always handles the spiders", and she did there though he helped a little bit.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > @"Teletric.3821" said:

> > Remember in Season 3, Episode 3, we went through that cave to get Asgeir's scroll for Braham that would let him pierce Jormag's tooth? There was literally a section where we had to kill spiders and Braham did not seem to care AT ALL. So what made Braham so suddenly afraid of spiders?

> He literally says here, "Rox always handles the spiders", and she did there though he helped a little bit.

Right, but he was killing spiders without any sign of fear. Does that mean that his fears go away when he's with Rox?

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > @"Teletric.3821" said:

> > Remember in Season 3, Episode 3, we went through that cave to get Asgeir's scroll for Braham that would let him pierce Jormag's tooth? There was literally a section where we had to kill spiders and Braham did not seem to care AT ALL. So what made Braham so suddenly afraid of spiders?

> He literally says here, "Rox always handles the spiders", and she did there though he helped a little bit.

Would still be reasonable to expect a side comment like "Great.. spiders" or something back then, but this is complaining on a high level

I seem to recall that he gets more annoyed with you when you run into a spiderweb and thus cause spiders to fall down on your ass, and seems eager to be away as soon as possible.

That's a possible sign of phobia. He might have been distracted by something else (his anger) to display his symptoms more fully, or it just might be a time when he was more okay with it than he was now. I have a phobia of lizards, and there are sometimes when I'd be completely okay with one running right in front of me point blank, while some other times I'd scream and shake and get a full blown panic attack upon seeing one from 2 meters away.

Of course the likelier explanation is that it's a semi-retcon or the writers involved didn't check back that far into his history, but it's also something relatively explainable.

• ArenaNet Staff

Rox calms him down. You could say Rox was his Rock. Rox really Rocks.

Also, I'll note these A ) they were stuck with these critters in a cave in, and B ) these ones were picking him up and carrying him about. That's the sort of thing that turns fear into panic, and once you are panic'd everything that follows is heightened.