The grand cataract of Jahai

Tyson.5160

I was having a discussion in map chat the other day regarding the the grand cataract of Jahai. I was under the impression that the fortress of Jahai was built on top of the cataract, however I was told this is incorrect. I was advised that the cataract is west of the fortress. I found this odd because a cataract is a waterfall and both fortresses from both gw1 and Gw2 have the water fall flowing underneath.

> @"Athrenn.9468" said:

> I don't know where anyone would have gotten the idea that the Grand Cataract of Jahai was somewhere else.

The Bonus Mission Pack in GW1 places the Cataract where Turai Ossa fought Joko at the place where the Orrian Tower anomaly is., and not where the fortress is.

This is also present on That_Shaman's historical map as well.

> @"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:

> > @"Athrenn.9468" said:

> > I don't know where anyone would have gotten the idea that the Grand Cataract of Jahai was somewhere else.

> The Bonus Mission Pack in GW1 places the Cataract where Turai Ossa fought Joko at the place where the Orrian Tower anomaly is., and not where the fortress is.

>

> This is also present on That_Shaman's historical map as well.

Is that the cataract though or just some canyons beside the cataract.

cat·a·ract

ˈkadəˌrakt/Submit

noun

a large waterfall.

synonyms: waterfall, cascade, falls, rapids, white water

This seems like the waterfall that is both present during gw1 and 2 beside the fortress.

It’s even called a grand cataract, so a grand waterfall.

> Using the desperate tactics of hit-and-run warfare, Warmarshal Turai harried and hunted Lord Joko’s soldiers whenever possible. The last remnants of the Kournan army were desperate for victory, but they could not last forever. His loyal followers were eventually surrounded near the Grand Cataract of Jahai, where they prepared to make their final stand.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/History_of_Elona

> Warmarshal Ossa gathered forces from every town and village in the valley of the River Elon. He marshaled a great army in the broad lands **near** the Grand Cataract, where the valley walls narrowed.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Turai's_Story

The BMP did not occur at the cataract, but "near" the Grand Cataract. It has always been "near" the Grand Cataract of Jahai.

The fortress was built atop the cataract, the BMP occurred east of it, overlooking where the Monument of Palawa Joko's Defeat and Return is now (as that marks where Joko fell, supposedly).

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > Using the desperate tactics of hit-and-run warfare, Warmarshal Turai harried and hunted Lord Joko’s soldiers whenever possible. The last remnants of the Kournan army were desperate for victory, but they could not last forever. His loyal followers were eventually surrounded near the Grand Cataract of Jahai, where they prepared to make their final stand.

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/History_of_Elona

>

> > Warmarshal Ossa gathered forces from every town and village in the valley of the River Elon. He marshaled a great army in the broad lands **near** the Grand Cataract, where the valley walls narrowed.

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Turai's_Story

>

> The BMP did not occur at the cataract, but "near" the Grand Cataract. It has always been "near" the Grand Cataract of Jahai.

>

> The fortress was built atop the cataract, the BMP occurred east of it, overlooking where the Monument of Palawa Joko's Defeat and Return is now (as that marks where Joko fell, supposedly).

So it’s that giant waterfall then, if they are using the correct definition of cataract.

Noticed it also said this in the Turai’s Story as well.

“_Among his warriors, he had found a miner who knew of paths through the hills above the Jahai Bluffs. The tenuous route might lead to Joko's rearguard, and ultimately to Joko himself._”

So these paths is where the mission is taking place.