Guild Wars 2 Classic

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > If your problem is with the elite specs and balance, they could do a weekly event for either PVP or WVW where no elite specs are allowed.

> > > A bit of warning: before Heart of Thorns the game wasn't balanced AT ALL and those saying that the game was better back then probably don't remember:

> > >

> > > Ranger, Engineer and Necromancer actively being kicked from dungeons for being useless. Mesmer taken as a filler only for TW and portal.

> > > Elementalist being absolute trash in PVP for the first half of the era, and god tier bunker for the second half (when D/D bunker became a thing)

> > > Warrior being a meme in PVP before the specialization update (signet warrior OP!)

> > >

> > > Oh yes the good old times before elite specs :)

> >

> > Thank you! I can still remember some groups specifically stating "no rangers, no necros".

>

> I was once kicked from a group before I even had time to type "I'll swap characters".

>

> Although in some ways groups refusing to allow rangers in was good for me. It made it much easier to avoid the annoying elitists who just wanted to rush through everything. We wouldn't get along regardless of profession, so it was kind of a helpful 'filter'.

i remember those days too, the amount of times i got kicked even if a group didnt state "no rangers" was maddening and i never want to return to those days, though at the same time...Ele was useful, so..maybe not to bad xD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what that would do for Guild Wars 2. I can see the appeal for a game like WoW as every expansion turns it into, effectively, a new game. That isn't the case with GW2. All the older content is still there and works just as it did at launch (more or less), and still requires groups because of level scaling. Content hasn't become irrelevant like previous-expansion content has in WoW.

As for elite specs, I don't think it's too presumptuous to say that the majority of the community likes their elite specs. Reaper made me love Necro, Weaver made me love Ele, Druid made me love Ranger, etc. I think core Guardian (no elite specs) is actually one of the higher dps builds out there at the moment as well, so it isn't like the core specs are useless.

I think the other thing that makes gw2 not need classic.is that they have done a.great job with horizontal progression and capping max level at 80. Scaling in zones also helps.

This makes it very unlike the problems that wow has, which is a good thing.

Still the best game on the market gw2! Keep it up!

Just for fun let's turn this around: What would be the **positives** of doing this? What would you enjoy about being able to re-play the game as it was at launch, or before HoT or whenever?

(Lets assume it is as suggested in this topic - separate server with just 1 build, you're not going back to 2012 knowing what you know now, you're not playing through all of Season 1 again - you're playing one earlier version of the game now.)

I think the nostalgia would be fun at first, but long-term there's only a few things that appeal to me. I'd like to play around with making builds for other professions with the original trait system, where some of your stats came from the trait lines you chose so you had to choose traits based on the stats as well as the skills. I only really played elementalist and ranger properly back then, my other characters I just used whatever seemed fun and didn't worry about the builds.

It would also be interesting to get back my old ranger build with ground-targeted traps and 4 or 5 trait lines and see if it's more fun than what I've got now, or if I'm actually happier playing a druid.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> I hope not. Nowadays many MMOs open these "restart" servers and I just don't understand the point of them. Why would anyone want to lose years of progression, items, achievements, etc in an MMO just to start over? Maybe I'm weird but I would **never** do that, lol. I also prefer GW2 now, it was kind of underwhelming at release. We have more stuff to do now.

The error of nostalgia, and the presumption that by going back we automatically reclaim the innocence lost over time. In most cases, its largely due to ignorance in the early years..... and this game has been around long enough to suffer the same illusions as many other games (including single player ones).

Who would want to play the classic game? Worse balance, lack for some of the best quality of life changes, condi level cap leading to the zerk meta, no mounts or gliding and a much less effective build system. It is actually a testament of the game always improving that pretty much no effective argument can be said in favor of a classic server (except maybe the removal of the NPE).

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Just for fun let's turn this around: What would be the **positives** of doing this? What would you enjoy about being able to re-play the game as it was at launch, or before HoT or whenever?

I can't think of any. Literally the only thing to do was world completion. Everything that makes me bother to log in today did not exist yet.

Positives:

1. Vanilla level 80 zones were harder and more fun

2. Separate servers were great for RP and,

3. also to try to see with how few people you could pull off metas and the mega server wouldn't fill up the map and make it easy

4. Builds were more inventive/stimulating because you could do partial trait line completion.

5. Dungeons were harder (pre nerf).

6. Living world, once rolled out, really did make the world feel alive the way they did it. You never knew which zone would be next to get something added to it!

> @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> Positives:

> 1. Vanilla level 80 zones were harder and more fun

> 2. Separate servers were great for RP and,

> 3. also to try to see with how few people you could pull off metas and the mega server wouldn't fill up the map and make it easy

> 4. Builds were more inventive/stimulating because you could do partial trait line completion.

> 5. Dungeons were harder (pre nerf).

> 6. Living world, once rolled out, really did make the world feel alive the way they did it. You never knew which zone would be next to get something added to it!

1. While there were nerfs, an experienced player is going to be able to go back and breeze through Vanilla Tyria.

2. If someone is really into the RP aspect, they might as well stay with the current game and have a larger pool of players to choose from. Game mechanics are less relevant.

3. You'll have all the difficulty you want with a limited population.

4. This one will be very personal. I feel builds are more fun now simply because more options were added to the game.

5. They better be if they are your only real end-game.

6. If we are rolling back to launch or near-launch Tyria then you have no living world. Living world also added features that people would then argue mess up the game and make it no longer pure vanilla. If we are rolling back and then just re-adding content, then why bother having a roll-back server? Also, everyone is going to then argue how far you add the content and everyone will have their own opinion on where to stop. Does it only include season 1? Does it stop just before HoT? Who knows.

> @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> >

> 4. This one will be very personal. I feel builds are more fun now simply because more options were added to the game.

>

i have to disagree on this, the more this game caters to the DPS crowd and less on build diversity the less options you have.

there are two kinds of options and they added more in theory, that doesn't mean it has any use in practice.

in vanilla GW2 the options were scarce but useful in the long run, ppl wanted healers and tanks to get trough dungeons.

nowadays if your DPS is just a bit less then a meter tells you a kick is assured, exactly the part that i hate about GW2.

> @"WJHB.8130" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > Thats nostaliga talking i am a ranger i dont want to locked out of content like before e specs. But i do miss warrior only meta

>

> Oh man but remember that nasty longbow 2 tho??

Remeber no necro lfg along with rangers thise days was not even worth lvling a ranger or necro no one wanted you

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > > @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> > >

> > 4. This one will be very personal. I feel builds are more fun now simply because more options were added to the game.

> >

>

> i have to disagree on this, the more this game caters to the DPS crowd and less on build diversity the less options you have.

> there are two kinds of options and they added more in theory, that doesn't mean it has any use in practice.

>

> in vanilla GW2 the options were scarce but useful in the long run, ppl wanted healers and tanks to get trough dungeons.

> nowadays if your DPS is just a bit less then a meter tells you a kick is assured, exactly the part that i hate about GW2.

Dps meter tells why content fails for open world is all about auto attacking for example would you want to play with some pug who is only auto attacking or group of thereby make content 10 times longer and harder dps meter is a tool in a raid 10 people only auto attacking and low dps can make boss fail due to mechanics. In most cases decent dps wont.get you kicked but if you do 1k dps then healer beats you the problem you have is mostly about the the raids is to hard i think they should be nerfed to same difficulty ps has and i think most would agree breakbars is the real villian forcing you to pick specific skills you otherwise wouldnt

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"WJHB.8130" said:

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > Thats nostaliga talking i am a ranger i dont want to locked out of content like before e specs. But i do miss warrior only meta

> >

> > Oh man but remember that nasty longbow 2 tho??

>

> Remeber no necro lfg along with rangers thise days was not even worth lvling a ranger or necro no one wanted you

and now yall r the only healers for raids smh

> @"WJHB.8130" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > @"WJHB.8130" said:

> > > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > > Thats nostaliga talking i am a ranger i dont want to locked out of content like before e specs. But i do miss warrior only meta

> > >

> > > Oh man but remember that nasty longbow 2 tho??

> >

> > Remeber no necro lfg along with rangers thise days was not even worth lvling a ranger or necro no one wanted you

>

> and now yall r the only healers for raids smh

And dps

I'm a fan of nostalgic touches, but what the OP proposes would take significant resources, lead to a dead-end and have no effect on pushing GW2 forward.

Let's keep nostalgia to the smaller nods which don't require disproportionate resources to implement and are consistent with healthy development of the game.

Id rather them invest resources into another thick expansion or Guild Wars 3.

A classic/vanilla server works in WoW because it has 7 (I think?) expansions and well over a decade of content. Things have drastically changed much more there.

Another interesting difference is that unlike in GW2, you do not have any reason to visit low level zones. None. In GW2, you have plenty of reasons and I think this does play some small part in why WoW players want a classic server (for nostalgia purposes).

I would love to play GW2 again in its original form (I know Mesmer was way more fun back then) and definitely go back to a time where EOTM wasn't dead AF but I think the game isn't old enough for a legacy server just yet.

It's only been 6 years. Runescape and WoW were both over a decade old before the concept of legacy servers were even considered.