Is the new step for Upgraded Armor -> Ascended?

With some talk of how people may obtain armors similar to the morphing Legendary sets without being gated to content not everyone plays, I think this new Upgraded armor will fit the bill.

You can't just craft the end result, you have to play the story and quest to obtain each new upgrade. The new upgrades could reach into the next chapter of the story and help unlock new content for Sun's Refuge.

I'm not saying that they should be exactly like the Legendary, if you want everything the Legendary Armor has then you should craft it.

Look at the cinematics of today's movies: how many of you think it's a positive thing (read totally cool) to have an innocent character suddenly armor up? Bumblebee, Iron Man, Venom, Black Panther, Witchblade, etc.

And once again --- it's optional.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Except the upgrade part doesn’t give you armor. What you’re getting is just the skin.

Exactly, you don't have to make a whole new set of armor, just upgrade what you already own. The quest is to **upgrade** it to ascended rarity.

I know it doesn't sound right for people who have always thought that in order to jump from exotic to ascended you have to craft an entirely new set of armor. The DEVs have opened a second method of making that jump through the process of upgrading.

If all you want is a skin then fine, I'm merely looking to the possibilities. There is plenty of precedent using a lesser rarity to obtain a higher rarity. What I'm bringing up is not new, just expanding what is already in process.

The requiem set is not an equipable armor; just skins. That was the “upgrade”.

There hasn’t ever been a way to “upgrade” armor through collections except for legendary armor and those living story back items. The carapace/bioluminescent armor from LS2 is basically what we got for this episode.

This “upgrade” thing was just a marketing stunt for the episode. We didn’t get any new system but rather a re-branding of an existing one. This isn’t to say that they can’t do like the back items and give out ascended armor pieces in future episodes.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> The requiem set is not an equipable armor; just skins. That was the “upgrade”.

My original Elegy armor is ectoplasm already, and I suppose I'll be sad if you *can* upgrade it later. (ie. craft or forge it into something better). Requiem is no more an upgrade than any other skin you can apply with transmutation charges. You don't even get a second exotic set to salvage.

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > The requiem set is not an equipable armor; just skins. That was the “upgrade”.

> My original Elegy armor is ectoplasm already, and I suppose I'll be sad if you *can* upgrade it later. (ie. craft or forge it into something better). Requiem is no more an upgrade than any other skin you can apply with transmutation charges. You don't even get a second exotic set to salvage.

iirc you can craft more of them ;)

I don't understand what you're asking for.

The Elegy/Requiem armour collections don't give ascended armour at all. As @"Ayrilana.1396" said it's the same idea as the carapace and luminescent armour from Season 2. The first set of collections gives you an exotic armour set (and recipes to craft additional pieces) and the second set of collections gives you _skins_ which are slightly fancier versions of the ones the exotic armour had but which have no stats.

So are you saying you want a collection which gives animated armour skins, like the legendary armour has, but without any stats so it's not equal to the legendary armour from raids?

Or are you saying you want a way to actually turn exotic armour into ascended armour (a bit like making a legendary weapon using an exotic precursor)? Which would be interesting but absolutely nothing like the upgradable armour from Season 4.

Or both? Or something else entirely?

Maybe i'm confused, but I think folks are missing the point of what the OP is saying or trying to say. They aren't speaking on what we have now. They are talking in general and the future. They even say

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> The new upgrades could reach into the next chapter of the story and help unlock new content for Sun's Refuge.

Obviously what we have currently can't do that so.....

For future upradeable armors, I'd like to see them re-use a method similar to what they did for Spinal Blades where each stage upgraded both the stats and the visual appearance of the item. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement a similar method to the various armor pieces, allowing players to steadily upgrade boots, gloves, etc. While the spinal blades backpiece featured versions for each rarity (fine to ascended), an armor version could have fewer (e.g. rare to ascended, or just exotic and ascended). The materials could use a combination of basic mats + LS map mats.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Kitty La Boom Boom.4065" said:

> > If you unlock all of the Requiem skins from each armor class (18 total skins), you get a box of Ascended Requiem armor.

>

> It’s for only a single piece.

Ugh. Well that's a pain....also not what I would call an upgrade. I was really hoping this would be my way to finish my heavy ascended set. Ah well...one less piece to craft.

"Upgraded armor" was a misleading term. While it's true that the requiem armor _skin_ is basically an upgraded version of the elegy _skin_, no one who plays GW2 actually refers this as "upgrading armor" — for us, that would mean rare-to-exotic or exotic-to-ascended.

What we got (and what I expected) was exactly what we had in LS2: a collection that allows us to obtain an upmarket version of the skins.

I wish @"Mike Zadorojny.7058" and @"Mike O Brien.4613" would learn that it never ends well when they use marketing jargon to hype upcoming changes. It's awesome to get a new mount (beetle) outside of an expansion. It's great to see two full armor sets (in three weights, across five races) without an expansion. It's fun to have a hub to see the evolution of our story-related collections. But for ~~Balthar's~~ ~~Kormir's~~ um, for Aurene's sake, please leave the "over hyping" to your community. We do more to oversell any small thing you mention than y'all ever could manage on your own.

Surely it's sufficient just to label things what they are: a new mount, new full sets of armor, a new way of organizing collections so we can see and experience them after completion. Those are amazing additions to the game no matter whether you called them a rose or a thorny bush.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Kitty La Boom Boom.4065" said:

> > If you unlock all of the Requiem skins from each armor class (18 total skins), you get a box of Ascended Requiem armor.

>

> Isn't it Ascended Leystone Armor in the Chest?

No. It's a standard Illustrious skin Ascended armor piece.

Why would a HoT armor set skin be a reward for PoF content?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I thought you were referring to the Achievement, 'The Best Offense'.

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Armor_Chest_(Leystone_Armor)

>

> My apologies.

It is about 'The Best Offence', which is why I'm lost as to why you'd think the Ascended pieces in the choosy boxes would have a HoT Skin on them.

'The Best Offence' gives you a box, which you can choose a stat, then to choose a piece of Illustrious Armor.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I thought you were referring to the Achievement, 'The Best Offense'.

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Armor_Chest_(Leystone_Armor)

> >

> > My apologies.

>

> It is about 'The Best Offence', which is why I'm lost as to why you'd think the Ascended pieces in the choosy boxes would have a HoT Skin on them.

> 'The Best Offence' gives you a box, which you can choose a stat, then to choose a piece of Illustrious Armor.

The wiki currently says that the reward is an Ascended Leystone Armor box.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > I thought you were referring to the Achievement, 'The Best Offense'.

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Armor_Chest_(Leystone_Armor)

> > >

> > > My apologies.

> >

> > It is about 'The Best Offence', which is why I'm lost as to why you'd think the Ascended pieces in the choosy boxes would have a HoT Skin on them.

> > 'The Best Offence' gives you a box, which you can choose a stat, then to choose a piece of Illustrious Armor.

>

> The wiki currently says that the reward is an Ascended Leystone Armor box.

The term in parenthesis refers to the achievement in which you obtain the item. The reward is still “Ascended Armor Box”, note there’s no “Leystone” or “Requiem” descriptor on the reward box, only the title of the publicly edit-able Wiki.

It has not been split for this new achievement and hasn’t been edited to be correct yet.

I have ‘The Best Offense’, you get a single **Illustrious** Armor *piece*.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Except the upgrade part doesn’t give you armor. What you’re getting is just the skin.

>

> It’s really no different from LS2; they just repackaged and re-branded it.

Once you have fully ascended gear or even legendary gear, whether youre crafting a "skin" or an actual certain rarity item is of little conscequence really.

Every new armor skin I can obtain through such a thing I see as crafting the armor. The game system behind it is irrelevant to me.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > I thought you were referring to the Achievement, 'The Best Offense'.

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Armor_Chest_(Leystone_Armor)

> > >

> > > My apologies.

> >

> > It is about 'The Best Offence', which is why I'm lost as to why you'd think the Ascended pieces in the choosy boxes would have a HoT Skin on them.

> > 'The Best Offence' gives you a box, which you can choose a stat, then to choose a piece of Illustrious Armor.

>

> The wiki currently says that the reward is an Ascended Leystone Armor box.

The material in the Wiki is of generally high quality, but it *is* written by players(1) and shares with all "user-editable" information (notably but not exclusively Wikipedia itself) the characteristic that the information should not be regarded as definitive. If the wiki still says that, someone who knows the right information will eventually fix it.

(1) It *is* the "official" wiki for the game, hosted by ArenaNet and all, but the information on it gets there because players put it there. Any edit you see by "cynique" there is something _**I**_ wrote, for example, and I've seen edits by @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" (who at least edits there on the same username as he posts here...).

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > I thought you were referring to the Achievement, 'The Best Offense'.

> > > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Armor_Chest_(Leystone_Armor)

> > > >

> > > > My apologies.

> > >

> > > It is about 'The Best Offence', which is why I'm lost as to why you'd think the Ascended pieces in the choosy boxes would have a HoT Skin on them.

> > > 'The Best Offence' gives you a box, which you can choose a stat, then to choose a piece of Illustrious Armor.

> >

> > The wiki currently says that the reward is an Ascended Leystone Armor box.

>

> The material in the Wiki is of generally high quality, but it *is* written by players(1) and shares with all "user-editable" information (notably but not exclusively Wikipedia itself) the characteristic that the information should not be regarded as definitive. If the wiki still says that, someone who knows the right information will eventually fix it.

>

> (1) It *is* the "official" wiki for the game, hosted by ArenaNet and all, but the information on it gets there because players put it there. Any edit you see by "cynique" there is something _**I**_ wrote, for example, and I've seen edits by @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" (who at least edits there on the same username as he posts here...).

Oh I know and I did not intend that to be a criticism of the wiki, it's a fantastic resource. Itwas just an explanation of why someone might _think_ this contains Leystone armour skins; because the wiki says it it is a Leystone Armor box.

I assume the wiki editor reused the Leystone Armor box link because it's the same "choosey box for choosey boxes".