Anual Ritual repeatable Achievenment (halloween) for 1,000 ap 20 years to complete?

> @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > GW1 is still going after 13 years so it's not that crazy.

>

> That's a bit different than an achievement taking 20 years to complete. Remember wvw dolyak achievement before they fix them?

Not really any different. If GW1 is still going on, and it had something like this, it would still be possible to complete it.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > GW1 is still going after 13 years so it's not that crazy.

> >

> > That's a bit different than an achievement taking 20 years to complete. Remember wvw dolyak achievement before they fix them?

>

> Not really any different. If GW1 is still going on, and it had something like this, it would still be possible to complete it.

I don't think the discussion is on if its possible to complete is it? A game being around for 20 years is different than it taking 20 years to finish content.

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Trinnitty.8256" said:

> > > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > GW1 is still going after 13 years so it's not that crazy.

> > >

> > > That's a bit different than an achievement taking 20 years to complete. Remember wvw dolyak achievement before they fix them?

> >

> > Not really any different. If GW1 is still going on, and it had something like this, it would still be possible to complete it.

>

> I don't think the discussion is on if its possible to complete is it? A game being around for 20 years is different than it taking 20 years to finish content.

Except your post isn’t about it taking that long to complete but about the game being around for that long.

> Lol anet is confident gw2 is going to be in production that long.

> > >

> > > That's a bit different than an achievement taking 20 years to complete. Remember wvw dolyak achievement before they fix them?

> >

> > Not really any different. If GW1 is still going on, and it had something like this, it would still be possible to complete it.

>

> I don't think the discussion is on if its possible to complete is it? A game being around for 20 years is different than it taking 20 years to finish content.

Say hello to the SAB achievements that you still can't finish even if you didn't miss a single day. This is nothing new and it is different from "finishing content", it's a damn achievement and it's a bonus.

I think the reason is different - to give players who finished all activities at least some AP for the festival per year. In the Halloween Ritual category I'm getting APs only for Eve of the Mad King and Annual Rituals. So when I'm done, Halloween festival will give me only 50 APs per year (+ few APs in Shadow of the Mad King tab)

I assume they just want it to give 50AP per year and don't want to keep remaking an identical achievement every year.

Like the reminders on my work database which are set to reoccur monthly until 2099. It's not set like that because we somehow knew we'd need it for the next 81 years and then never again. It's because we want it to go on indefinitely but whoever created the software made it so all reoccurring reminders have to have an end date and that was the easiest date to set that's so far in the future we'll probably never have to re-do it.

(And like the achievement point titles which currently go way beyond the available points - it was probably easier to create a batch of them in one go than to keep watching how much AP the people on top of the leaderboard have and adding new titles when they'll need it.)

> @"Castigator.3470" said:

> > @"Pirindolo.9427" said:

> > Not that bad, if you consider that you need way over 5,000 years (yes, F-I-V-E T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D Y-E-A-R-S) to get 1 +30 swimming infusion

>

> Someone has been doing exponential math again. Anet? e^x functions are horror to balance for a reason.

But saying "you need 5000 years to get a +30 swim infusion" is utterly facetious.

The design is entirely based around two things:

1) No one is actually *expected* to get a +30

2) The infusions are tradeable, and the amount required for even modest increases is clearly meant to drive trade.

Bringing this to the AP, 2) is of course not relevant, but 1) is the same.

They *could* have set a max of say 200, but that would have brought doomsayers claiming "Anet's not expecting it to last more than 4 years!!!" *and* need to update it when that draws near.

The only surprising thing is that they even set a max- iirc Master of Entropy wasn't capped at launch, which indicates that they *can* have repeatable achievments without an AP cap.

> > >

> >

>

I think it is ... See, you don't view achievements properly. They aren't something you need to 'finish'. Yup, 20 years is long time. That just tells me more about how the achievement is coded, not that Anet expects you to play for 20 years.

I also raised an eyebrow at seeing the 1000 AP cap, but it just made me chuckle. It's either a case of someone at ANet being lazy (as Danikat says, somebody just didn't want to have to keep bumping up the limit every year), or someone being very confident that the game will still be around in 20 years. (Which COULD happen! Everquest 1 is apparently still going strong and it was released in 1999, so it's almost 20 years old.)

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Castigator.3470" said:

> > > @"Pirindolo.9427" said:

> > > Not that bad, if you consider that you need way over 5,000 years (yes, F-I-V-E T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D Y-E-A-R-S) to get 1 +30 swimming infusion

> >

> > Someone has been doing exponential math again. Anet? e^x functions are horror to balance for a reason.

>

> But saying "you need 5000 years to get a +30 swim infusion" is utterly facetious.

> The design is entirely based around two things:

> 1) No one is actually *expected* to get a +30

> 2) The infusions are tradeable, and the amount required for even modest increases is clearly meant to drive trade.

>

> Bringing this to the AP, 2) is of course not relevant, but 1) is the same.

> They *could* have set a max of say 200, but that would have brought doomsayers claiming "Anet's not expecting it to last more than 4 years!!!" *and* need to update it when that draws near.

> The only surprising thing is that they even set a max- iirc Master of Entropy wasn't capped at launch, which indicates that they *can* have repeatable achievments without an AP cap.

You clearly didn't get the meaning of my post.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> They should just remove the cap. 20 years is so far in the future that this cap is literally just there to make people angry

Why would it make anybody angry? That's the worst reason humanly imaginable. "Omg, if I did this every year for two decades I'd still get something for it"

????

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > They should just remove the cap. 20 years is so far in the future that this cap is literally just there to make people angry

>

> Why would it make anybody angry? That's the worst reason humanly imaginable. "Omg, if I did this every year for two decades I'd still get something for it"

>

> ????

Because seeing the cap of 1000 builds up expectations. There is no reason to be a cap if it is so high. If someone gets 1000 AP in 20 years or 1050AP in 21 years, what is the difference? Why should it be cut off at that point? Not that I believe anyone will still play this game in 20 years from now, but still.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > They should just remove the cap. 20 years is so far in the future that this cap is literally just there to make people angry

> >

> > Why would it make anybody angry? That's the worst reason humanly imaginable. "Omg, if I did this every year for two decades I'd still get something for it"

> >

> > ????

>

> Because seeing the cap of 1000 builds up expectations. There is no reason to be a cap if it is so high. If someone gets 1000 AP in 20 years or 1050AP in 21 years, what is the difference? Why should it be cut off at that point? Not that I believe anyone will still play this game in 20 years from now, but still.

Would you feel the same if it were 10,000 instead?