> > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Maybe so, > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Well sure, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. The OP said (and I quote)

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > "The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years."

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > He's not saying he feels the drop rate is less, he's saying it is. But without a very very big sampling size that's impossible to say. It doesn't seem substantially different to me, since I got one bat wing all of last year. The point is when someone makes a statement that something is the case, they need to defend it. Me pointing out that there's no real evidence of this is part of what open forum discussion is about.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Anyone can believe anything they want...but when they make definitive statements on public forums they should expect to be challenged if they have no evidence.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I just saw it differently. It's so obviously true that one player cannot extrapolate drop rates from their personal experience it didn't seem worth noting. So when someone says 'the drop rate sucks' but doesn't provide data I'm assuming they mean 'my drop rate so far has sucked', which effectively the same thing btw. If the OP has been getting crappy drops compared to previous years, pointing out that the drop rate hasn't changed isn't likely to improve their perspective . . .

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The problem is statements are made and people don't necessarily think things through when they read. If you tell someone the drop rates are different, some people actually run huge samples and do the math. They read and believe. Enough people that someone has to be around to point out the difference. People should not be saying drop rates are different just because they personally didn't get drops. And if it is just a personal observation it's a baseless complaint. The real complaint because I have bad luck. Which is a very different thing to say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It is and it isn't. The effect of a nerfed drop rate and bad luck are the same -- no good loots. If the thread was about how the drop rate got nerfed then sure, it's worth pointing out that data would be needed to support that conclusion. But when it's about how the op is disappointed in Halloween in part bc they aren't getting good loots like last year, it doesn't really matter if they believe it is from a nerfed drop rate or not, they're not getting good loots either way. Correcting their misperception doesn't really help with that . . .

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Actually the OP themselves pointed out in the third post that they knew their experience wasn't representative of the actual drop rate . . .

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Doesn't change one word I've said. The OP pointed out he doesn't know 3 posts down. People read OPs, not necessarily entire threads anyway...but...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Someone says something which can be misinterpreted.

> > > > > > I clarify it, rightfully since what he actually said is what I'm referring to.

> > > > > > You feel the need to call me out on correcting something that's actually literally right.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When people post on forums, word choice is important and is always going to be called out. There's in my mind a very high chance that if you didn't agree with the OP you'd not even be posting this sort of defense, but you've had similar luck and so you feel the need to defend him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What the OP said, directly, in his OP, is that the drop rate is different, not that he's had bad luck. I simply pointed out the difference between the terms. There's absolutely nothing to argue about here.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You're saying well you take it differently because you make certain assumptions. I say that's fine that you do this. It's okay to assume what he meant. It's still not what he actually said and I still feel that needs to be pointed out. So what's the actual discussion here? That you understood what he meant from what he said? That's fine.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I wasn't sure what he meant, and that's why I posted.

> > > > >

> > > > > Try it this way: If someone says 'Halloween sucks this year. I'm not getting any good drops, anet nerfed the drop rate.' And another person says 'We don't have any data on the drop rate, you're just getting crappy loot.' Has the second person improved the first person's situation . . ?

> > > >

> > > > I'm not sure why you think it's my responsibility to improve someone's situation. I feel bad that he's unhappy because his luck has been bad, but that doesn't change the fact that the way he expressed his disappointment isn't accurate, and I have a right to point that out, whether or not it improves his situation. That is to say, I have every right to talk to other people about what he said and express my opinion. It won't make him more happy, perhaps. But it might inform someone who didn't think it through that he was only expressing an opinion. That's fair game.

> > >

> > > It's what the thread is about though, the OP's disappointment with Halloween . . .

> >

> > Yep, that's what the threads about. And if he'd worded his post in such a way that that's all he said, I'd have had no issue with it. The fact is, someone after this post, said they believed the OP had information about drop rates he didn't have, and that he was talking literally. Therefore, me pointing this out prevented a misunderstanding.

> >

> > Seems to me since you agree with the OP, you feel it's okay for the OP to word the post in a way that can cause misunderstandings. I'm not saying the OP can't be disappointed. I am saying that wording his disappointment in such a way that can cause confusion is something that I feel should be corrected. It's okay if you don't agree with that. There's now evidence that someone was confused by the OP's post and my clarification helped.

> >

> > In other words, it's okay that the OP is disappointed. It's okay that he expressed that disappointment here. And it's okay that I'm helping to clarify the wording so people don't misunderstand it.

> >

> >

>

> Is it okay if I point out that someone's reaction is going to be defined by their experience, not the parameters within which that experience took place . . ?

It's generally applicable, but still doesn't change a word I've said or the meaning of what I've said. Obviously he had an opinion. And now we know that some people have mistook that opinion. So I clarified. That's as far as the conversation needed to go.

What you're saying, is that you understood. That's fine. Other people misunderstood, it was clarified.

There is no issue here. If you feel the absolute need to get the last word go ahead. But nothing I've said is inaccurate or off topic. And I won't respond to you again, since what you're saying is off topic. That is to say, what I said is about Halloween itself, what you're arguing for is that you're okay with potentially misleading statements simply because you agree with them.

I never questioned the OPs reactions, so your comment doesn't follow onto mine. I only commented on his word choice.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> It's generally applicable, but still doesn't change a word I've said or the meaning of what I've said. Obviously he had an opinion. And now we know that some people have mistook that opinion. So I clarified. That's as far as the conversation needed to go.

>

> What you're saying, is that you understood. That's fine. Other people misunderstood, it was clarified.

>

> There is no issue here. If you feel the absolute need to get the last word go ahead. But nothing I've said is inaccurate or off topic. And I won't respond to you again, since what you're saying is off topic. That is to say, what I said is about Halloween itself, what you're arguing for is that you're okay with potentially misleading statements simply because you agree with them.

>

> I never questioned the OPs reactions, so your comment doesn't follow onto mine. I only commented on his word choice.

This is a tad ironic since what I actually said:

>@Gop.8713 said:

> This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

would best be viewed as an effort to gently nudge the conversation away from an off topic discussion of the drop rate and back towards players' experiences, which was the issue at hand . . .

What I think we've done instead is discover that there are ppl who enjoy highlighting the errors of others but are intolerant of receiving similar scrutiny themselves. I suppose that's an old lesson but there's no harm in a refresher :)

I've done some drop rates research about ToT bags for the wiki. The bag type is 90 8 2 0. 90% chance of common, 8% for uncommon and 2% for rare. After 888 bags opened. 0 infusions, almost 0 recipes, 0 weapons dropped. You have more chance to loot the Cure on ennemies than in bags.

Even the items within the same rarity section haven't the same drop rate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trick-or-Treat_Bag/research

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Maybe so, > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Well sure, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. The OP said (and I quote)

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > "The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years."

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > He's not saying he feels the drop rate is less, he's saying it is. But without a very very big sampling size that's impossible to say. It doesn't seem substantially different to me, since I got one bat wing all of last year. The point is when someone makes a statement that something is the case, they need to defend it. Me pointing out that there's no real evidence of this is part of what open forum discussion is about.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Anyone can believe anything they want...but when they make definitive statements on public forums they should expect to be challenged if they have no evidence.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I just saw it differently. It's so obviously true that one player cannot extrapolate drop rates from their personal experience it didn't seem worth noting. So when someone says 'the drop rate sucks' but doesn't provide data I'm assuming they mean 'my drop rate so far has sucked', which effectively the same thing btw. If the OP has been getting crappy drops compared to previous years, pointing out that the drop rate hasn't changed isn't likely to improve their perspective . . .

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The problem is statements are made and people don't necessarily think things through when they read. If you tell someone the drop rates are different, some people actually run huge samples and do the math. They read and believe. Enough people that someone has to be around to point out the difference. People should not be saying drop rates are different just because they personally didn't get drops. And if it is just a personal observation it's a baseless complaint. The real complaint because I have bad luck. Which is a very different thing to say.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It is and it isn't. The effect of a nerfed drop rate and bad luck are the same -- no good loots. If the thread was about how the drop rate got nerfed then sure, it's worth pointing out that data would be needed to support that conclusion. But when it's about how the op is disappointed in Halloween in part bc they aren't getting good loots like last year, it doesn't really matter if they believe it is from a nerfed drop rate or not, they're not getting good loots either way. Correcting their misperception doesn't really help with that . . .

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Actually the OP themselves pointed out in the third post that they knew their experience wasn't representative of the actual drop rate . . .

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Doesn't change one word I've said. The OP pointed out he doesn't know 3 posts down. People read OPs, not necessarily entire threads anyway...but...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Someone says something which can be misinterpreted.

> > > > > > I clarify it, rightfully since what he actually said is what I'm referring to.

> > > > > > You feel the need to call me out on correcting something that's actually literally right.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When people post on forums, word choice is important and is always going to be called out. There's in my mind a very high chance that if you didn't agree with the OP you'd not even be posting this sort of defense, but you've had similar luck and so you feel the need to defend him.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What the OP said, directly, in his OP, is that the drop rate is different, not that he's had bad luck. I simply pointed out the difference between the terms. There's absolutely nothing to argue about here.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You're saying well you take it differently because you make certain assumptions. I say that's fine that you do this. It's okay to assume what he meant. It's still not what he actually said and I still feel that needs to be pointed out. So what's the actual discussion here? That you understood what he meant from what he said? That's fine.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I wasn't sure what he meant, and that's why I posted.

> > > > >

> > > > > Try it this way: If someone says 'Halloween sucks this year. I'm not getting any good drops, anet nerfed the drop rate.' And another person says 'We don't have any data on the drop rate, you're just getting crappy loot.' Has the second person improved the first person's situation . . ?

> > > >

> > > > I'm not sure why you think it's my responsibility to improve someone's situation. I feel bad that he's unhappy because his luck has been bad, but that doesn't change the fact that the way he expressed his disappointment isn't accurate, and I have a right to point that out, whether or not it improves his situation. That is to say, I have every right to talk to other people about what he said and express my opinion. It won't make him more happy, perhaps. But it might inform someone who didn't think it through that he was only expressing an opinion. That's fair game.

> > >

> > > It's what the thread is about though, the OP's disappointment with Halloween . . .

> >

> > Yep, that's what the threads about. And if he'd worded his post in such a way that that's all he said, I'd have had no issue with it. The fact is, someone after this post, said they believed the OP had information about drop rates he didn't have, and that he was talking literally. Therefore, me pointing this out prevented a misunderstanding.

> >

> > Seems to me since you agree with the OP, you feel it's okay for the OP to word the post in a way that can cause misunderstandings. I'm not saying the OP can't be disappointed. I am saying that wording his disappointment in such a way that can cause confusion is something that I feel should be corrected. It's okay if you don't agree with that. There's now evidence that someone was confused by the OP's post and my clarification helped.

> >

> > In other words, it's okay that the OP is disappointed. It's okay that he expressed that disappointment here. And it's okay that I'm helping to clarify the wording so people don't misunderstand it.

> >

> >

>

> Is it okay if I point out that someone's reaction is going to be defined by their experience, not the parameters within which that experience took place . . ?

I would say that's totally ok to point that out. I would also like to point out, if that's ok, that a person's personal experience is what we call anecdotal evidence and should not be used as a foundation for stating that the parameters have changed. Unfortunately, the first point of the OP was exactly that.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> I would say that's totally ok to point that out. I would also like to point out, if that's ok, that a person's personal experience is what we call anecdotal evidence and should not be used as a foundation for stating that the parameters have changed. Unfortunately, the first point of the OP was exactly that.

I made the statement to receive feedback regarding others' experience on this, and since no one agrees or feels that the drop rates were different this year, it might as well be just me who has been majorly unlucky so far this year.

However, I should add that - after I stopped doing the Labyrinth (due to the aforementioned boredom) - I just got a drop from the few ToT bags I received during the Dragon's Stand meta that defitinitely makes up for the lack of valuable drops thus far: an Ember Infusion. B)

**P.S. I would like to point out that this thread was about _many_ issues I have with Halloween this year, the general drop rate being just _one_ of them. I find it quite interesting that everyone is discussing only this and none of the (IMO) more important points.**

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > I would say that's totally ok to point that out. I would also like to point out, if that's ok, that a person's personal experience is what we call anecdotal evidence and should not be used as a foundation for stating that the parameters have changed. Unfortunately, the first point of the OP was exactly that.

>

> I made the statement to receive feedback regarding others' experience on this, and since no one agrees or feels that the drop rates were different this year, it might as well be just me who has been majorly unlucky so far this year.

>

> However, I should add that - after I stopped doing the Labyrinth (due to the aforementioned boredom) - I just got a drop from the few ToT bags I received during the Dragon's Stand meta that defitinitely makes up for the lack of valuable drops thus far: an Ember Infusion. B)

>

> **P.S. I would like to point out that this thread was about _many_ issues I have with Halloween this year, the general drop rate being just _one_ of them. I find it quite interesting that everyone is discussing only this and none of the (IMO) more important points.**

I think most of your points were fair but I was pointing out that the first point doesn't fit in that list (one of these is not like the others) and people do get stuck on that. That's just the way it is I guess.

> 2. There is no new PvE content. Last year we had enjoyable quests for the back items that took us all acroos Tyria, this year none of the like (the scavenger hunt we got this year does not count, it was completely boring and way too short).

It was the same thing, effectively. The New content from last year was only the third stage. The First and Second stages were from the original Halloween quests. The only difference between the third stage and the new collection was that in the third stage you had to complete the Halloween achievements before you could talk to the NPCs. It was still effectively the same thing.

> 4. Reaper's Rumble is as unrewarding as Lunatic Inquisition, so - shame on ANet - no one really plays them unless they are a suggested daily. They could be so much fun to play if tons of people frequented this content, but due to the lack of decent rewards people prefer to farm the Labyrinth. (This was also an issue with the Festival of the Four Winds arena, which not only felt unrewarding as well, but - most importantly - was hidden behind an NPC that most people just walked by because of his unfortunate location, covered by tent textures.)

Clearly you do it for a different reason than I do. I don't run the content because it's rewarding, nothing in the game is actually rewarding. It's fun. If you enjoy it you play it. If the only way you can derive enjoyment is by what you get out of it, you're going to find yourself primarily not enjoying things. Your closing statement, though, suggests that isn't the case, so it's possible the game type just isn't for you, which is fine. What matters is if there are those who do enjoy it, and presumably there are. Not everything has to be your thing.

> @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Maybe so, > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Well sure, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. The OP said (and I quote)

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > "The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years."

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > He's not saying he feels the drop rate is less, he's saying it is. But without a very very big sampling size that's impossible to say. It doesn't seem substantially different to me, since I got one bat wing all of last year. The point is when someone makes a statement that something is the case, they need to defend it. Me pointing out that there's no real evidence of this is part of what open forum discussion is about.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Anyone can believe anything they want...but when they make definitive statements on public forums they should expect to be challenged if they have no evidence.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > I just saw it differently. It's so obviously true that one player cannot extrapolate drop rates from their personal experience it didn't seem worth noting. So when someone says 'the drop rate sucks' but doesn't provide data I'm assuming they mean 'my drop rate so far has sucked', which effectively the same thing btw. If the OP has been getting crappy drops compared to previous years, pointing out that the drop rate hasn't changed isn't likely to improve their perspective . . .

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The problem is statements are made and people don't necessarily think things through when they read. If you tell someone the drop rates are different, some people actually run huge samples and do the math. They read and believe. Enough people that someone has to be around to point out the difference. People should not be saying drop rates are different just because they personally didn't get drops. And if it is just a personal observation it's a baseless complaint. The real complaint because I have bad luck. Which is a very different thing to say.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It is and it isn't. The effect of a nerfed drop rate and bad luck are the same -- no good loots. If the thread was about how the drop rate got nerfed then sure, it's worth pointing out that data would be needed to support that conclusion. But when it's about how the op is disappointed in Halloween in part bc they aren't getting good loots like last year, it doesn't really matter if they believe it is from a nerfed drop rate or not, they're not getting good loots either way. Correcting their misperception doesn't really help with that . . .

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Actually the OP themselves pointed out in the third post that they knew their experience wasn't representative of the actual drop rate . . .

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Doesn't change one word I've said. The OP pointed out he doesn't know 3 posts down. People read OPs, not necessarily entire threads anyway...but...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Someone says something which can be misinterpreted.

> > > > > > > I clarify it, rightfully since what he actually said is what I'm referring to.

> > > > > > > You feel the need to call me out on correcting something that's actually literally right.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > When people post on forums, word choice is important and is always going to be called out. There's in my mind a very high chance that if you didn't agree with the OP you'd not even be posting this sort of defense, but you've had similar luck and so you feel the need to defend him.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What the OP said, directly, in his OP, is that the drop rate is different, not that he's had bad luck. I simply pointed out the difference between the terms. There's absolutely nothing to argue about here.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You're saying well you take it differently because you make certain assumptions. I say that's fine that you do this. It's okay to assume what he meant. It's still not what he actually said and I still feel that needs to be pointed out. So what's the actual discussion here? That you understood what he meant from what he said? That's fine.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I wasn't sure what he meant, and that's why I posted.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Try it this way: If someone says 'Halloween sucks this year. I'm not getting any good drops, anet nerfed the drop rate.' And another person says 'We don't have any data on the drop rate, you're just getting crappy loot.' Has the second person improved the first person's situation . . ?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not sure why you think it's my responsibility to improve someone's situation. I feel bad that he's unhappy because his luck has been bad, but that doesn't change the fact that the way he expressed his disappointment isn't accurate, and I have a right to point that out, whether or not it improves his situation. That is to say, I have every right to talk to other people about what he said and express my opinion. It won't make him more happy, perhaps. But it might inform someone who didn't think it through that he was only expressing an opinion. That's fair game.

> > > >

> > > > It's what the thread is about though, the OP's disappointment with Halloween . . .

> > >

> > > Yep, that's what the threads about. And if he'd worded his post in such a way that that's all he said, I'd have had no issue with it. The fact is, someone after this post, said they believed the OP had information about drop rates he didn't have, and that he was talking literally. Therefore, me pointing this out prevented a misunderstanding.

> > >

> > > Seems to me since you agree with the OP, you feel it's okay for the OP to word the post in a way that can cause misunderstandings. I'm not saying the OP can't be disappointed. I am saying that wording his disappointment in such a way that can cause confusion is something that I feel should be corrected. It's okay if you don't agree with that. There's now evidence that someone was confused by the OP's post and my clarification helped.

> > >

> > > In other words, it's okay that the OP is disappointed. It's okay that he expressed that disappointment here. And it's okay that I'm helping to clarify the wording so people don't misunderstand it.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Is it okay if I point out that someone's reaction is going to be defined by their experience, not the parameters within which that experience took place . . ?

>

> I would say that's totally ok to point that out. I would also like to point out, if that's ok, that a person's personal experience is what we call anecdotal evidence and should not be used as a foundation for stating that the parameters have changed. Unfortunately, the first point of the OP was exactly that.

And the third post indicated that the OP knew they could only discuss their experience. Yet somehow that wasn't enough and discussion of the drop rate -- rather than the Halloween experience -- has gone on for two pages now . . .

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Maybe so, > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Mad King's Clock Tower is my favorite of all time. That alone makes Halloween my favorite holiday. I had lousy luck last year and about the same this year. RNG is RNG. I don't think any one player has enough data points to draw a real conclusion.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > This is ofc true, but my experience is defined by my perception, and my perception is colored by my results ;)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Well sure, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. The OP said (and I quote)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > "The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years."

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > He's not saying he feels the drop rate is less, he's saying it is. But without a very very big sampling size that's impossible to say. It doesn't seem substantially different to me, since I got one bat wing all of last year. The point is when someone makes a statement that something is the case, they need to defend it. Me pointing out that there's no real evidence of this is part of what open forum discussion is about.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Anyone can believe anything they want...but when they make definitive statements on public forums they should expect to be challenged if they have no evidence.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > I just saw it differently. It's so obviously true that one player cannot extrapolate drop rates from their personal experience it didn't seem worth noting. So when someone says 'the drop rate sucks' but doesn't provide data I'm assuming they mean 'my drop rate so far has sucked', which effectively the same thing btw. If the OP has been getting crappy drops compared to previous years, pointing out that the drop rate hasn't changed isn't likely to improve their perspective . . .

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The problem is statements are made and people don't necessarily think things through when they read. If you tell someone the drop rates are different, some people actually run huge samples and do the math. They read and believe. Enough people that someone has to be around to point out the difference. People should not be saying drop rates are different just because they personally didn't get drops. And if it is just a personal observation it's a baseless complaint. The real complaint because I have bad luck. Which is a very different thing to say.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It is and it isn't. The effect of a nerfed drop rate and bad luck are the same -- no good loots. If the thread was about how the drop rate got nerfed then sure, it's worth pointing out that data would be needed to support that conclusion. But when it's about how the op is disappointed in Halloween in part bc they aren't getting good loots like last year, it doesn't really matter if they believe it is from a nerfed drop rate or not, they're not getting good loots either way. Correcting their misperception doesn't really help with that . . .

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Actually the OP themselves pointed out in the third post that they knew their experience wasn't representative of the actual drop rate . . .

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Doesn't change one word I've said. The OP pointed out he doesn't know 3 posts down. People read OPs, not necessarily entire threads anyway...but...

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Someone says something which can be misinterpreted.

> > > > > > > > I clarify it, rightfully since what he actually said is what I'm referring to.

> > > > > > > > You feel the need to call me out on correcting something that's actually literally right.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > When people post on forums, word choice is important and is always going to be called out. There's in my mind a very high chance that if you didn't agree with the OP you'd not even be posting this sort of defense, but you've had similar luck and so you feel the need to defend him.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What the OP said, directly, in his OP, is that the drop rate is different, not that he's had bad luck. I simply pointed out the difference between the terms. There's absolutely nothing to argue about here.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You're saying well you take it differently because you make certain assumptions. I say that's fine that you do this. It's okay to assume what he meant. It's still not what he actually said and I still feel that needs to be pointed out. So what's the actual discussion here? That you understood what he meant from what he said? That's fine.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I wasn't sure what he meant, and that's why I posted.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Try it this way: If someone says 'Halloween sucks this year. I'm not getting any good drops, anet nerfed the drop rate.' And another person says 'We don't have any data on the drop rate, you're just getting crappy loot.' Has the second person improved the first person's situation . . ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm not sure why you think it's my responsibility to improve someone's situation. I feel bad that he's unhappy because his luck has been bad, but that doesn't change the fact that the way he expressed his disappointment isn't accurate, and I have a right to point that out, whether or not it improves his situation. That is to say, I have every right to talk to other people about what he said and express my opinion. It won't make him more happy, perhaps. But it might inform someone who didn't think it through that he was only expressing an opinion. That's fair game.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's what the thread is about though, the OP's disappointment with Halloween . . .

> > > >

> > > > Yep, that's what the threads about. And if he'd worded his post in such a way that that's all he said, I'd have had no issue with it. The fact is, someone after this post, said they believed the OP had information about drop rates he didn't have, and that he was talking literally. Therefore, me pointing this out prevented a misunderstanding.

> > > >

> > > > Seems to me since you agree with the OP, you feel it's okay for the OP to word the post in a way that can cause misunderstandings. I'm not saying the OP can't be disappointed. I am saying that wording his disappointment in such a way that can cause confusion is something that I feel should be corrected. It's okay if you don't agree with that. There's now evidence that someone was confused by the OP's post and my clarification helped.

> > > >

> > > > In other words, it's okay that the OP is disappointed. It's okay that he expressed that disappointment here. And it's okay that I'm helping to clarify the wording so people don't misunderstand it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Is it okay if I point out that someone's reaction is going to be defined by their experience, not the parameters within which that experience took place . . ?

> >

> > I would say that's totally ok to point that out. I would also like to point out, if that's ok, that a person's personal experience is what we call anecdotal evidence and should not be used as a foundation for stating that the parameters have changed. Unfortunately, the first point of the OP was exactly that.

>

> And the third post indicated that the OP knew they could only discuss their experience. Yet somehow that wasn't enough and discussion of the drop rate -- rather than the Halloween experience -- has gone on for two pages now . . .

Unfortunately the OP started with saying something that wasn't expressed as a personal experience but as a statement of fact about the drop chances, which of course with RNG is extremely hard to validate as it is. And so people fall over that and ignore the rest of the comments. That's how it goes on forums.

I'm not saying that's cool, just saying that's what happens.

I mean look at what the op said:

_The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years_

That is written as a statement of fact about the game. That's not describing a personal experience and that's the problem I'm referring to. There is nothing against describing a personal experience but jumping to false conclusions and stating them as a fact is...well, it's unfortunate. And so you can expect people to jump on that, whether it's deserved or not.

So wisdom is not to put statements of fact in your post unless that's what you mean and you can back them up then and there. Otherwise avoid stating opinions or personal experiences as facts about the game or accept that this will be what people will talk about. And some people just want to fight about it whatever it is. Sad but true.

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Maybe so, > @"Gop.8713" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Well sure, but I'm not sure how that's relevant. The OP said (and I quote)

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > "The drop rate of all the valuable items (Tattered Bat Wings, unique exotic weapons, recipes, and so on) has been significantly reduced compared to previous years."

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > He's not saying he feels the drop rate is less, he's saying it is. But without a very very big sampling size that's impossible to say. It doesn't seem substantially different to me, since I got one bat wing all of last year. The point is when someone makes a statement that something is the case, they need to defend it. Me pointing out that there's no real evidence of this is part of what open forum discussion is about.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Anyone can believe anything they want...but when they make definitive statements on public forums they should expect to be challenged if they have no evidence.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > I just saw it differently. It's so obviously true that one player cannot extrapolate drop rates from their personal experience it didn't seem worth noting. So when someone says 'the drop rate sucks' but doesn't provide data I'm assuming they mean 'my drop rate so far has sucked', which effectively the same thing btw. If the OP has been getting crappy drops compared to previous years, pointing out that the drop rate hasn't changed isn't likely to improve their perspective . . .

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The problem is statements are made and people don't necessarily think things through when they read. If you tell someone the drop rates are different, some people actually run huge samples and do the math. They read and believe. Enough people that someone has to be around to point out the difference. People should not be saying drop rates are different just because they personally didn't get drops. And if it is just a personal observation it's a baseless complaint. The real complaint because I have bad luck. Which is a very different thing to say.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It is and it isn't. The effect of a nerfed drop rate and bad luck are the same -- no good loots. If the thread was about how the drop rate got nerfed then sure, it's worth pointing out that data would be needed to support that conclusion. But when it's about how the op is disappointed in Halloween in part bc they aren't getting good loots like last year, it doesn't really matter if they believe it is from a nerfed drop rate or not, they're not getting good loots either way. Correcting their misperception doesn't really help with that . . .

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Actually the OP themselves pointed out in the third post that they knew their experience wasn't representative of the actual drop rate . . .

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Doesn't change one word I've said. The OP pointed out he doesn't know 3 posts down. People read OPs, not necessarily entire threads anyway...but...

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Someone says something which can be misinterpreted.

> > > > > > > > I clarify it, rightfully since what he actually said is what I'm referring to.

> > > > > > > > You feel the need to call me out on correcting something that's actually literally right.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > When people post on forums, word choice is important and is always going to be called out. There's in my mind a very high chance that if you didn't agree with the OP you'd not even be posting this sort of defense, but you've had similar luck and so you feel the need to defend him.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What the OP said, directly, in his OP, is that the drop rate is different, not that he's had bad luck. I simply pointed out the difference between the terms. There's absolutely nothing to argue about here.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You're saying well you take it differently because you make certain assumptions. I say that's fine that you do this. It's okay to assume what he meant. It's still not what he actually said and I still feel that needs to be pointed out. So what's the actual discussion here? That you understood what he meant from what he said? That's fine.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I wasn't sure what he meant, and that's why I posted.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Try it this way: If someone says 'Halloween sucks this year. I'm not getting any good drops, anet nerfed the drop rate.' And another person says 'We don't have any data on the drop rate, you're just getting crappy loot.' Has the second person improved the first person's situation . . ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm not sure why you think it's my responsibility to improve someone's situation. I feel bad that he's unhappy because his luck has been bad, but that doesn't change the fact that the way he expressed his disappointment isn't accurate, and I have a right to point that out, whether or not it improves his situation. That is to say, I have every right to talk to other people about what he said and express my opinion. It won't make him more happy, perhaps. But it might inform someone who didn't think it through that he was only expressing an opinion. That's fair game.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's what the thread is about though, the OP's disappointment with Halloween . . .

> > > >

> > > > Yep, that's what the threads about. And if he'd worded his post in such a way that that's all he said, I'd have had no issue with it. The fact is, someone after this post, said they believed the OP had information about drop rates he didn't have, and that he was talking literally. Therefore, me pointing this out prevented a misunderstanding.

> > > >

> > > > Seems to me since you agree with the OP, you feel it's okay for the OP to word the post in a way that can cause misunderstandings. I'm not saying the OP can't be disappointed. I am saying that wording his disappointment in such a way that can cause confusion is something that I feel should be corrected. It's okay if you don't agree with that. There's now evidence that someone was confused by the OP's post and my clarification helped.

> > > >

> > > > In other words, it's okay that the OP is disappointed. It's okay that he expressed that disappointment here. And it's okay that I'm helping to clarify the wording so people don't misunderstand it.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Is it okay if I point out that someone's reaction is going to be defined by their experience, not the parameters within which that experience took place . . ?

> >

>

> And the third post indicated that the OP knew they could only discuss their experience. Yet somehow that wasn't enough and discussion of the drop rate -- rather than the Halloween experience -- has gone on for two pages now . . .

It's gone on for two pages, because you keep defending it, because you understood it. That's the only reason it has gone on. You're saying it's okay to misrepresent something, and I don't feel that it is. Clearly others feel the same way. You phrased this as me feeling the need to find error in other people. Even if that were true, it would be irrelevant to the situation.

I was an editor by trade, so of course words are going to be important to me. I try to be careful when using words and I know how misunderstandings in forums can lead to people thinking the wrong thing. I made a simple statement correcting the matter, and the OP himself never responded to it....you did. You decided, for some reason, that defending this was more important than letting it go, even that everything I said was factually correct. You kept shifting the bar....I didn't.

The facts are obvious. The OP stated something in terms that could be misunderstood. I corrected that by saying so. You decided there was something wrong with me doing so, even though you seem to be the only one who thinks so. The only other posts here are other people who either agree with what I said, or who themselves have misinterpreted what the OP said, which is why I corrected the language in the first place.

It's going on for two pages because you won't let it go. It's become off topic because we're no longer talking about Halloween itself. We're talking about whether or not my issues with the OP's phrasing is worthy of comment. Since someone else has said they were misled by the phrasing (and if one person posts it, he's probably not the only one who feels that way), then it should be fair game. But you still won't leave it alone.

It goes on because the position you've taken in this seems to have bothered you for some reason and if that's the case, I'll apologize for it. If I've offended you for some reason, then I'm sorry. It was not my intention. I was only trying to, at first, clarify the statement, and at second defend my decision for doing so. And that's all I was ever trying to do.

I didn't mean to insult the OP, or you. I only meant to do what I've been trained to do. Edit.

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> The only think I don't like about it is the lack of new achievement points (AP). I've recently discovered that I will never be able to get all the radiant armor skins. I was hoping not so much for new content as just more APs.

I agree. I knew it to be the case, just as i know wintersday will disappoint me in this area this year too. I like ap. it pulls me through content i might not ordinarily repeat over and over. It isnt a dealbreaker, but it does dimnish things a bit for me. Ill never stop feeding back my feelings on how poor ap amounts have become, but I genuinely no longer believe they care about it either.

> 2. There is no new PvE content. Last year we had enjoyable quests for the back items that took us all across Tyria, this year none of the like (the scavenger hunt we got this year does not count, it was completely boring and way too short).

well, it's a limited time content just like winters day, SAB, etc; giving players something else to do other than contents they can do at any time.

I just quickly do the 3 dailies to get the Haunted weapon skins and off to do other things

I have no issue of dev making tiny tweaks to festival contents or none at all, but put those time working on LW and next expansion

Just like that I can say exotics and Tattered Bat Wing drop rate increased dramatically from last years. duringlast years I think I did like 100 Ascents to Madness ale got like 5-6 Wings and no exotics. This year I did 6 runs and got exotic(5-6g) or Wing in every single run.

So drop rates must increased!

But in all seriousness -> it's RNG. It just seems this time Im lucky and OP is not. It happens.

I'm a little disappointed by Halloween too. Maybe because I played it too many times...

As someone already mentioned, Halloween and other seasonal thematic festivals are meant to bring a temporary flavour of fresh air to the world, apart from the content you usually do. They're not meant to be new content patches.

I understand some people don't like seeing the same festivals over and over again each year. But I think we should consider ourselves lucky that Anet put the time and effort in to bring at least something new into Halloween, not to mention bringing back Four Winds, among all the LW4/5/possible expansion developing.

I get very excited for Halloween every year, and then it wears off. Extremely subjectively, I would say 2017 was more fun for me. Though we did get some nice new guild hall decorations.

Although there are more rare things to be had, I've found none of them. I don't know if the drop rates are worse, but they're not great. There are a few nice minis I need to catch up on, so you can expect a sharp jump in the cob price about the 1st (you're welcome) when I get paid. I'm also going to pick up the new mounts, they look great.

I hate all things Mad King with a white-hot passion, because he's...well...a jerk. I do like kicking his butt in Ascent to Madness exactly once a year, though I'm constantly confused as to why it isn't "Descent to Madness". You move downward, not upward.

I made a conscious decision to not let the Clock Tower upset me this time around, and I'm grateful it's no longer required to complete the festival meta-achievement.

The labyrinth is still a nice little gold sink, but my cutoff for wanting to do it endlessly seems to coincide with the sale price dropping below about six silver per bag. So I'm done with that.

In short, my mini-review of Halloween 2018: "I put up with that kitten Mad King and his horrible jokes and all I got was this weird candle."

I didn't expect new content, and in general I'm not dissatisfied with Mad King 2018. I love the Halloween festivities, and have been eagerly awaiting it since September! I received a few great drops the first day. But the more I play, the fewer rare and super rare items I receive from ToT bags. Plastic fangs, Chattering Skulls, and Nougat come in common drops of 1, 2, or 6 - so it looks like there are a lot of common drops, but 9 of the 17 common drops are repetitive. Was it like that last year?

And is it my imagination, or does Ascent to Madness seem klunky or laggy this year? It isn't as fun for some reason. Therefore, I'm not earning as many tattered bat wings as I did in the past because it's more fun to do Lab and Raceway. (Not into jumping puzzles, so that's on me).

One suggestion for a more challenging Lab: we've been starting 2012 Redux Lab runs--bring your lower-level alt character--remember how Lab felt the first time around while giving those new to GW2 a warmer welcome. :)

Seeing a race and the royal rumble was kinda nice. But. I finished five parts of the Meta, and then said to myself "What do I need to focus on to get it?" Since I don't have the Roller beetle yet, and since the JP was also included in the list for the Meta, I will not be able to complete the Meta this year. Not having the beetle is kinda on me, I'm still on the first Istan map. But then again, perhaps there should have been two versions of the race? One fast, one slow?

And for whatever reason If there are more than 10 people present in a race, I get crazy whacky control lag and mount control issues. So it's quite possible that even IF I had a beetle I couldn't complete the race in the required time. Tried It about 5 times w/ the raptor, didn't do better than 1:30 at any time. Ah well.

I've complained about this before, and maybe IF Anet will QUIT making JP's part of any Meta or any important achievement, I might finally have some happiness on this issue. There are those of us WHO CANNOT DO JUMPING PUZZLES. Especially IF they are INSTANCED, INSANE TIMED DEATHTRAPS. Making SUCH a JP one of the possible "requirements" for a Meta (or anything else!) is simply saying to someone with my lack of JP ability that it is a requirement that I cannot get, cannot use, and effectively counts AGAINST me.

This also goes for the Wintersday JP. I would have had the shoulders last year IF the JP wasn't one of the requirements FOR that Meta. I won't hold my breath either, since I've been commenting on it for three years running now.... and the JP still is MANDATORY to get the shoulders. However, in closing I Note that ANYONE can get the Lunatic Boots from Halloween... by crafting them. Or of course finishing the Clock Tower.... which I have Never done and never will be able to do.

> @"Nightshade.5924" said:

> Since I don't have the Roller beetle yet, and since the JP was also included in the list for the Meta, I will not be able to complete the Meta this year.

You can easily reach the time required for the anual achievement on a raptor. Just give it a try.

There is a total of 10 achievements available for the meta, but only 9 needed, so you can skip the jp and still get the meta done. Ever since they adjusted the time needed for the race, it is very much doable even for those of us with slow reactions and lousy reflexes.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"Nightshade.5924" said:

> > Since I don't have the Roller beetle yet, and since the JP was also included in the list for the Meta, I will not be able to complete the Meta this year.

> You can easily reach the time required for the anual achievement on a raptor. Just give it a try.

>

> There is a total of 10 achievements available for the meta, but only 9 needed, so you can skip the jp and still get the meta done. Ever since they adjusted the time needed for the race, it is very much doable even for those of us with slow reactions and lousy reflexes.

>

Time required to earn the gold and win the time trial to get the achievement: One minute Five seconds. Best time on Jackal and raptor after two near perfect runs: One minute Thirty-Three seconds. SO... given the empirical evidence, YOU CANNOT get the achievement WITHOUT the beetle mount. Which I do not have. Kinda on me, like I said. But that said... there should be TWO versions of the race... and the JP should be in NO WAY figured into the Meta. With that setup, you can totally ignore the JP, and win the race that you have the mount for. And if you have all the mounts, hey, some bonus points for you. Everyone is then HAPPY, and not bummed out because they CANNOT get the Meta due to poor design.