[suggestion] eu and na access

Verrier.5870

I don't know if it would be technically possible, but I would pay if we could use our accounts in both eu and na. (kinda like ESO, when you buy an account, you can play on both servers, but with different characters of course). Now since market and many things are already shared in gw2, maybe the wardrobe could be shared between eu and na.

Could easily be sold around 20-30$, since this is like a new account technically. (also, daily, and login rewards would not be counted twice, even if you log in to both eu and na,) but you can play on other server keeping your skins and masteries etc. would be nice, if players could just play cross region without buying new accounts and starting from0.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> You already can... in fact, your choice of server only determines connection speed and PvP matchups.

The difference is that in Elder Scrolls Online you can switch between the two servers for free whenever you want - you just pick which one you want to log into on the login screen, and you can have characters on both NA and EU servers at the same time.

The downside of their system is that there is absolutely no way to move things between servers. Characters created on NA can only be played on NA, you can never move them to EU and vice versa. Likewise anything bought in the crown shop is only available on one server (but the currency is shared across both - if you spend it on one it's gone from both).

I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the system that can't be avoided or simply how they've chosen to set it up, but I imagine the ability to have characters in both regions would make transferring difficult because then you've got to make sure none of the existing account information gets overwritten when the new stuff is transferred into that regions data centre.

You can play on either NA or EU with the same account, changing your region is as simple as clicking on world selection, choosing the region from the dropdown, and then selecting a server from that region. Unlike ESO though, GW2 will transfer all your character data to the region of your choice (takes time), but you can use all your characters and items on either region (but only have one selected at a time) From what understand, ESO has the two region data completely separate and you can't access your EU characters and/or items on NA and vise versa. The downside of the GW2 system is that you need to pay gems to transfer between regions. It's not possible to have a character on EU and access the wardrobe of NA because they are stored on completely different physical locations in the world. It would cause immense lag and latency issues if you had a character on one region and your data was in another.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> You can play on either NA or EU with the same account, changing your region is as simple as clicking on world selection, choosing the region from the dropdown, and then selecting a server from that region. Unlike ESO though, GW2 will transfer all your character data to the region of your choice (takes time), but you can use all your characters and items on either region (but only have one selected at a time) From what understand, ESO has the two region data completely separate and you can't access your EU characters and/or items on NA and vise versa. The downside of the GW2 system is that you need to pay gems to transfer between regions. It's not possible to have a character on EU and access the wardrobe of NA because they are stored on completely different physical locations in the world. It would cause immense lag and latency issues if you had a character on one region and your data was in another.

Yes, I can, but not at the same time, meaning I either buy a new account ,or pay for transfer. My suggestion is something which lets you play on both at the same time.

> @"Verrier.5870" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > You can play on either NA or EU with the same account, changing your region is as simple as clicking on world selection, choosing the region from the dropdown, and then selecting a server from that region. Unlike ESO though, GW2 will transfer all your character data to the region of your choice (takes time), but you can use all your characters and items on either region (but only have one selected at a time) From what understand, ESO has the two region data completely separate and you can't access your EU characters and/or items on NA and vise versa. The downside of the GW2 system is that you need to pay gems to transfer between regions. It's not possible to have a character on EU and access the wardrobe of NA because they are stored on completely different physical locations in the world. It would cause immense lag and latency issues if you had a character on one region and your data was in another.

>

> Yes, I can, but not at the same time, meaning I either buy a new account ,or pay for transfer. My suggestion is something which lets you play on both at the same time.

I suspect you can't do that because you'd have huge latency issues if your data is in the NA data center but the server you play on is in the EU.

> @"Verrier.5870" said:

> I don't know if it would be technically possible,

It's not. The devs would like it to be possible, too; they just haven't figured out how to increase the speed of ~~light~~ data... or decrease the amount of data that needs to be transfered to make playing in real time fun.

Here's some relevant quotes from earlier this year:

>> [From the World Restructuring thread 31 Jan 2018](

)

>> [Q](

): will it be possible to TEMPORARILY guest for free cross-region, to allow us at least a temporary way to play at least PVE with friends cross-region?

> [A](

): No that won't be possible - guesting allowed your "current world" to change but didn't do anything with the location of your data - Europe or North America. We have talked about what it would take to play in Europe and have your data in NA (for example) but the cables under the Atlantic are just not robust enough to have reliable database saves across continents.

>> [Q](

): I remember changing servers instantly in GW1, how that was possible then? Different system all together?

> [A](

): In Guild Wars character data /is/ actually transferred across the Atlantic and it was a huge source of downtime and disconnects for EU players. It wasn't fair at all and so for Guild Wars 2 we decided it was a better trade-off to have reliable service on the same continent even if that limited the ability to play together somewhat.

>> [Q](

): curious, just how large is an average players character data?

> [A](

): I'm not sure that's something we've ever told anyone. Also ... it's a bit hard to say, since it goes through a lot of bit twiddling and compression before it gets to the database. It's super-optimized because the database servers are a very significant cost and we don't (and haven't ever) charged a monthly fee.

> @"Verrier.5870" said:

> > You can play on either NA or EU with the same account, changing your region is as simple as clicking on world selection, choosing the region from the dropdown, and then selecting a server from that region. Unlike ESO though, GW2 will transfer all your character data to the region of your choice (takes time), but you can use all your characters and items on either region (but only have one selected at a time) From what understand, ESO has the two region data completely separate and you can't access your EU characters and/or items on NA and vise versa. The downside of the GW2 system is that you need to pay gems to transfer between regions. It's not possible to have a character on EU and access the wardrobe of NA because they are stored on completely different physical locations in the world. It would cause immense lag and latency issues if you had a character on one region and your data was in another.

>

> Yes, I can, but not at the same time, meaning I either buy a new account ,or pay for transfer. My suggestion is something which lets you play on both at the same time.

The cost of your suggestion would be having account-wide data separate for each zone. Thus, things like wardrobe would be not account-specific but zone-specific. That also means, you would not be able to migrate your characters (or, basically, _anything_) between zones. Once you created an US character, it would always be an US character, and if you moved to EU, you would have a choice of playing that character at increased lag and latency, or having to create a new character in a completely separate EU zone set. Those two characters would be then unable to even exchange items - their wardrobe, bank, gold, everything would be separate. So, basically the same as having 2 separate accounts.

Or even worse, since characters on separate accounts can at least mail stuff to each other.

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

Linked two accounts on two data centers. This is the most inventive suggestion on this subject that I’ve read so far.

As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

I suspect the new account for linking would be more expensive than a regular account but it’s an interesting idea that ANet should look at.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

Imagine using a wardrobe unlock for example in NA, then use another one in EU before the two "accounts" are linked, you can get the same item. Or do the same with the mount unlock license. Or take some food from the bank, eat it, then log to your "other" account and eat the same food before the accounts are properly linked. Or better yet, craft the same Legendary weapon twice, put all the components in the bank, log in NA, take the items and forge the weapon, relog to EU and re-forge the weapon with the same materials.

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

>

> Imagine using a wardrobe unlock for example in NA, then use another one in EU before the two "accounts" are linked, you can get the same item. Or do the same with the mount unlock license. Or take some food from the bank, eat it, then log to your "other" account and eat the same food before the accounts are properly linked. Or better yet, craft the same Legendary weapon twice, put all the components in the bank, log in NA, take the items and forge the weapon, relog to EU and re-forge the weapon with the same materials.

I was thinking about that after I posted and it might be taken care of with a required sync, that is, when you log onto the other account there will be a pause while the game syncs the two accounts and applies any changes so the two accounts are identical. After the sync then you can log onto the other account.

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

> >

> > Imagine using a wardrobe unlock for example in NA, then use another one in EU before the two "accounts" are linked, you can get the same item. Or do the same with the mount unlock license. Or take some food from the bank, eat it, then log to your "other" account and eat the same food before the accounts are properly linked. Or better yet, craft the same Legendary weapon twice, put all the components in the bank, log in NA, take the items and forge the weapon, relog to EU and re-forge the weapon with the same materials.

>

> I was thinking about that after I posted and it might be taken care of with a required sync, that is, when you log onto the other account there will be a pause while the game syncs the two accounts and applies any changes so the two accounts are identical. After the sync then you can log onto the other account.

>

>

>

The data synching could happen every 5 minutes (that's how often parts of the API refresh), so that if transfers were limited (e.g. only once a day or even hourly), this issue would be preempted. I'm sure there are plenty of other potential headaches, including people misunderstanding the amount of latency and, as a result, failing previously 'easy' content for the person (e.g JPs or fractals etc). My guess is that such owners of such dual accounts would have to be willing to spend more for expansions, to help defray some of the infrastructure costs.

I agree with @"Just a flesh wound.3589" that this might just possibly be something that hadn't already occurred to the network engineers at ANet.

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

>

> Imagine using a wardrobe unlock for example in NA, then use another one in EU before the two "accounts" are linked, you can get the same item. Or do the same with the mount unlock license. Or take some food from the bank, eat it, then log to your "other" account and eat the same food before the accounts are properly linked. Or better yet, craft the same Legendary weapon twice, put all the components in the bank, log in NA, take the items and forge the weapon, relog to EU and re-forge the weapon with the same materials.

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > As I understand it, you buy a second account on the opposite data center and they are linked so that the information on the first account becomes the information on the second account. With purchase of a linked account the game updates the two periodically, say once a day, to make the information on both accounts identical. This allows players to play on both EU and NA on what appears to them to be the same account.

> >

> > Imagine using a wardrobe unlock for example in NA, then use another one in EU before the two "accounts" are linked, you can get the same item. Or do the same with the mount unlock license. Or take some food from the bank, eat it, then log to your "other" account and eat the same food before the accounts are properly linked. Or better yet, craft the same Legendary weapon twice, put all the components in the bank, log in NA, take the items and forge the weapon, relog to EU and re-forge the weapon with the same materials.

>

> I was thinking about that after I posted and it might be taken care of with a required sync, that is, when you log onto the other account there will be a pause while the game syncs the two accounts and applies any changes so the two accounts are identical. After the sync then you can log onto the other account.

>

>

>

Or just not allow already existing accounts to be linked, so the linked account has to be new, so this issues is avoided.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 not sure if I misunderstood, but why would latency be more this way than compared to someone who lives in EU but plays on an NA account?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The data synching could happen every 5 minutes (that's how often parts of the API refresh), so that if transfers were limited (e.g. only once a day or even hourly), this issue would be preempted. I'm sure there are plenty of other potential headaches, including people misunderstanding the amount of latency and, as a result, failing previously 'easy' content for the person (e.g JPs or fractals etc). My guess is that such owners of such dual accounts would have to be willing to spend more for expansions, to help defray some of the infrastructure costs.

Well the biggest headache is that they'd need to store your data twice. Knowing that the server cost is one of the highest expenses they have to pay, and lots of it comes from that data, storing them twice would be problematic and possibly too expensive, depending on how many players would use this feature.

> It's super-optimized because the database servers are a **very significant cost** and we don't (and haven't ever) charged a monthly fee.

Since having your data on both data centers at once is the equivalent of having two accounts, I don't know if spending some more cash on expansions would cover this cost, a cost that is paid up monthly by them, possibly covered by gem store sales.

> Since having your data on both data centers at once is the equivalent of having two accounts, I don't know if spending some more cash on expansions would cover this cost, a cost that is paid up monthly by them, possibly covered by gem store sales.

As players, we aren't likely to know if (a) double-spending (for unlocking expansions on a combined NA/EU account) would be enough to defray additional server costs or even (b) how much that ultimately matters. One scenario might be that the "box" costs for expansions is meant to cover maintenance (such as server costs), while the gem shop is meant to cover future development.

My main point is: it's an intriguing idea, maybe ANet has yet to consider it, and, regardless of our armchair leadership here, the cost:benefit analysis is going to be a lot more complicated than we realize.